Federer withdraws from Paris-Bercy [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer withdraws from Paris-Bercy

Pages : [1] 2

case
10-29-2006, 11:42 PM
What a load of %$##%!
He plays Basel to skip a masters?:mad: too tired?? only the arrogant fed would be allowed to talk like this:mad:

http://rawstory.com/news/2006/

FED PULLS OUT! TOO TIRED!!!
What a wimp. Couldn't have at least put in an appearance. He has to practice anyway.
Couldnt have said he was injured, no he said i dont want to play, it doesnt matter why. gotta save himself for more important people. :retard: says hes sorry to the fans and hopes to see them in shanghai?? yeah right, all those europeans will catch the next metro bus or train to see him for a fun weekend getaway :retard: after all, shanghai is so close.

Insults fans. Insults tournament. Insults his sponsors (they pay him to be seen). Insults other athletes who work for a living. Insults tennis. Hurts tennis.

Johnny Groove
10-29-2006, 11:49 PM
If you had any brains at all (which is suspect) you would know how much Basel means to him, and that hes played 2 straight weeks in finals. Paris doesnt mean shit to him compared to Basel. And all this coming from a Rafatard

scoobs
10-29-2006, 11:52 PM
Well if Rogi does pull out then this tournament is in the right place - home of EuroDisney, because it's heading right for Mickey Mouse-ville.

Robredo for the title! :D

Allstar
10-29-2006, 11:55 PM
What a stupid post

Voo de Mar
10-29-2006, 11:57 PM
FedEx should be play, because he has a very pleasant draw in Paris ;)
2nd round on Wednesday T.Johansson or Spadea
3rd round probably Nieminen
QF maybe Djokovic, maybe Malisse
It looks like an easy walk ;)

Fee
10-30-2006, 12:02 AM
What a load of %$##%!
He plays Basel to skip a masters?:mad: too tired?? only the arrogant fed would be allowed to talk like this:mad:

:haha: :haha: :haha:

case
10-30-2006, 12:04 AM
What a stupid post

yeah i guess its stupid for fed to allow the tournament to advertise him and then after the tournament starts pull out "to be careful":rolleyes:

tennis is a business and fed is a professional adult maybe he should act like one. there are ALOT of jobs where people do hard physical work all day 7 days a week and get paid pennies for it. again it shows his arrogance.

oh by the way nice of fed to get pizza-big spender that he is.:p

artlinkletter
10-30-2006, 12:05 AM
If you had any brains at all (which is suspect) you would know how much Basel means to him, and that hes played 2 straight weeks in finals. Paris doesnt mean shit to him compared to Basel. And all this coming from a Rafatard

:hug:Oh that warms my heart, you defending Roger.:)

amierin
10-30-2006, 12:08 AM
Roger's draw in Paris is a cake walk. The organizers did everything they could to assure he'd reach the final against someone who had had to play tough opponents to get there.
Logically Roger should withdraw. Whether he will or not remains to be seen of course.

Johnny Groove
10-30-2006, 12:09 AM
:hug:Oh that warms my heart, you defending Roger.:)

:kiss: It happens from time to time ;)

Yappa
10-30-2006, 12:10 AM
2006: Federer plays Basel and Madrid. Withdraws from Paris.
2007: Federer plays Basel and Paris. Withdraws from Madrid.

Fee
10-30-2006, 12:11 AM
yeah i guess its stupid for fed to allow the tournament to advertise him and then after the tournament starts pull out "to be careful":rolleyes:

And no other player has ever done this at any other tournament ever before in the history of tennis.

tennis is a business and fed is a professional adult maybe he should act like one. there are ALOT of jobs where people do hard physical work all day 7 days a week and get paid pennies for it. again it shows his arrogance.

So every tennis player with ATP points has to play everyday to show their solidarity with the laborers of the world. Brilliant idea.

oh by the way nice of fed to get pizza-big spender that he is.:p

Kids like pizza. Filet mignon would have been wasted on them. I bet those ball kids got the best pizza in town, and plenty of it.

Why are you so bitter? Who peed in your Cheerios?

Corey Feldman
10-30-2006, 12:18 AM
he could play if he really wanted to im sure, so who knows what he will do.
if he did WD i dont think its to do with being that tired.. maybe more that he wants more rest and prep for Shanghai.

seanog
10-30-2006, 12:26 AM
man get some proper posts....

spencercarlos
10-30-2006, 12:26 AM
Indeed, people forget that not too long ago he played tough matches in Toronto won it only to be beaten by Murray in the following week.
Three straight weeks of tennis, then a week off and the always tough Masters Cup i think its too much. He should withdraw.

case
10-30-2006, 12:38 AM
:haha: I just love the reaction from fed fans when anything negative is said about him. ill keep looking for other stories about fed-the responses make my day!:bounce:

Scotso
10-30-2006, 12:38 AM
If he's going to withdraw it would be nice to do so before the draw was finalized.

selesfan
10-30-2006, 12:40 AM

True, funny Rafa fans judging Fed after Rafa withdrew after seeing the draw and the possibility of playing Safin in the second round and didn't Clement also beat him this year.;)

Tennis Fool
10-30-2006, 12:40 AM
Federer really should be playing the required events, if he is not injured. Maybe these two Masters (Madrid & Paris) need to be rescheduled or one cancelled all together.

cmurray
10-30-2006, 12:45 AM
You know what I love? The same people complaining about Rafa pulling out because he hurt his ribs are in here nodding their head and saying "gee, isn't Roger just the GREATEST waiting until the tournament gets started to pull out because...well...he just doesn't feel like playing. He's a paragon among men. A PARAGON, I tell you!"

Seriously, if I were Roger, I'd have probably pulled out too, but complaining because Rafa pulled out but applauding Roger irritates me.

Fee
10-30-2006, 12:45 AM
If he's going to withdraw it would be nice to do so before the draw was finalized.

Who? Nalbandian, Fed or Nadal?

_pyromatic
10-30-2006, 12:48 AM
True, funny Rafa fans judging Fed after Rafa withdrew after seeing the draw and the possibility of playing Safin in the second round and didn't Clement also beat him this year.;)

:rolleyes: The only one complaining is Case. Even Blaze understands.

nobama
10-30-2006, 12:49 AM
I thought you couldn't withdraw from one tournament while you were playing in another tournament. :confused:

willrock
10-30-2006, 12:49 AM
I'd be a shame for the tournament's organizers, but good for the suspense.
And I don't know if the public really cares, as its favorite in Paris is Safin, who is extremely well-known in here.

Roger The Great
10-30-2006, 12:50 AM
These are professional athlethes here and they need to make decisions that are best for their body. The tennis season is packed and players need to prioritize events so that they have the best chance to win the ones most important to them.

I don't think people realize how much tennis Roger has played this year. We talk about Davydenko being an iron man and playing every week. But do people realize that Roger has actually played more matches than Davy this year? He's played a ton of tennis. I think it would be smart for him to pull out.

mangoes
10-30-2006, 12:51 AM
You know what I love? The same people complaining about Rafa pulling out because he hurt his ribs are in here nodding their head and saying "gee, isn't Roger just the GREATEST waiting until the tournament gets started to pull out because...well...he just doesn't feel like playing. He's a paragon among men. A PARAGON, I tell you!"

I didn't get the impression that anyone was doing such in this thread. What posts are you refering to??

Tennis Fool
10-30-2006, 12:53 AM
These are professional athlethes here and they need to make decisions that are best for their body. The tennis season is packed and players need to prioritize events so that they have the best chance to win the ones most important to them.

I don't think people realize how much tennis Roger has played this year. We talk about Davydenko being an iron man and playing every week. But do people realize that Roger has actually played more matches than Davy this year? He's played a ton of tennis. I think it would be smart for him to pull out.

Yes, but the athletes should be scheduling around the required events.

Roger The Great
10-30-2006, 12:54 AM
Seriously, if I were Roger, I'd have probably pulled out too, but complaining because Rafa pulled out but applauding Roger irritates me.

Who's complaining about Rafa? If it's best for him to pull out then he did the right thing. But these are two different cases. Rafa hasn't played very much in the second half this year. But if he's injured, he's injured. :shrug:

nobama
10-30-2006, 12:54 AM
Federer really should be playing the required events, if he is not injured. Maybe these two Masters (Madrid & Paris) need to be rescheduled or one cancelled all together.How do we know other players who have withdrawn are really injured? Of course you have to take them at their word, but anyone can come up with an "injury" to get out of playing an event. Personally I think players should be more concerned about thier health and NOT getting injured than playing "required" events out of some duty to the tour.

Roger The Great
10-30-2006, 12:56 AM

Maybe in a perfect world that would be the case. Unfortunately, it's quite a common thing for players to skip required events if they don't want to play them. If we want to point the finger at Roger and Rafa, then you need to point the finger at tons of other players as well.

nobama
10-30-2006, 12:58 AM
Why? Why is Paris more important than Basel? Just because the tour decided it would be a Masters event and thus be "required"? So what? I'm sure Roger cares more about winning Basel than Paris.

mickymouse
10-30-2006, 01:00 AM
Fed should have just pretended to sprain something....neck, anke, ribs, abdomen, any part of the body. That would have sounded more legitimate than a dubious "I'm too tired".

Jimnik
10-30-2006, 01:04 AM
I think he can be forgiven for wanting to play his home town tournament.

Anyway, Paris is worth more money and more ranking points than Basel, so it's his own loss. But he's put himself in a position where he doesn't need the extra points, so it's his decision.

It's a similar situation for Nadal in the clay season. If he wanted to maximise his ranking points, he should play M-C, Rome and Hamburg. But instead he chooses to play M-C, Barcelona and Rome because he wants to play his home tournament instead of the extra TMS.

cmurray
10-30-2006, 01:04 AM
I didn't get the impression that anyone was doing such in this thread. What posts are you refering to??

Did you read the thread that says "Rafa not playing Bercy"??? Lots of complaining about Raf. Probably should have made that clear though, huh? :)

I think Roger is smart to withdraw. Since he reaches the finals of every tourney he enters, he does end up playing a lot of tennis.

Roger The Great
10-30-2006, 01:11 AM
Why? Why is Paris more important than Basel? Just because the tour decided it would be a Masters event and thus be "required"? So what? I'm sure Roger cares more about winning Basel than Paris.

No, I think the tour has it within their rights to determine certain events to be of more signifigance than others. And in order for these events to truly be more signifigant the top players really need to be there.

Normal people (you and I included most likely) have jobs to make their living. And in order to work these jobs certain things are required whether we want to do them or not. Our employer is entitled to set these requirements, not us as the employee. Same thing here. The tour is doing what is in their best interests to be successful and it is unfair for players to simply not show up. But I'm also saying that we can't simply point the finger at only Roger and Rafa. Plus, it's up to the tour to enforce these rules and right now, they don't. In a perfect world they should be there. But the system is flawed.

NYCtennisfan
10-30-2006, 01:26 AM
I have a feeling that Fed will not play Basel in the future kind of like he doesn't play Gstaad anymore although they mean different things to him.

As for Fed pulling out, he has played 92 matches this year, 85 last year, 80 before that....that's a career for most people. He absolutely needs to be in Shanghai or the TMC basically will lose all meaning.

atheneglaukopis
10-30-2006, 01:30 AM
I have a feeling that Fed will not play Basel in the future kind of like he doesn't play Gstaad anymore although they mean different things to him.

As for Fed pulling out, he has played 92 matches this year, 85 last year, 80 before that....that's a career for most people. He absolutely needs to be in Shanghai or the TMC basically will lose all meaning.

Large scale withdrawals results in a five set epic between Oscar Hernandez and Labadze. Tennis would be the winner.:lol:

In seriousness, I agree he won't play Basel again, at least not until his ranking drops so far that he's not in competition for the TMC, if that ever happens.

Tennis Fool
10-30-2006, 01:31 AM
How do we know other players who have withdrawn are really injured? Of course you have to take them at their word, but anyone can come up with an "injury" to get out of playing an event. Personally I think players should be more concerned about thier health and NOT getting injured than playing "required" events out of some duty to the tour.
If there aren't some rules or guidelines, then these Masters events are a joke and a waste of organizers and fans time. Why even hold them if top players can jump ship because "they don't feel like playing."

If you're injured, you're injured. Better excuse then "I just don't feel like it."

Tennis Fool
10-30-2006, 01:32 AM
Why? Why is Paris more important than Basel? Just because the tour decided it would be a Masters event and thus be "required"? So what?
No disrespect, but I'm glad you aren't an organizer for the ATP.

Yappa
10-30-2006, 01:39 AM
:devil: He does do well when Rogirafa pulls out of an AMS. :angel:

Yeah, but this isnt clay, so...

With Rogi, Rafi, Arod and Ljubo out of the picture, Blake might start thinking that this really is a Mickey Mouse tourney instead of a Masters Series event. That would be his big chance to win the title and to be crowned King of Disneyland! :yeah: :D

Whistleway
10-30-2006, 01:40 AM
No disrespect, but I'm glad you aren't an organizer for the ATP.

I am glad you are not, since under you, no one would want to play tennis, slave master!

TenHound
10-30-2006, 01:54 AM
I hope he doesn't cave on Paris as he did w/Cincy. He has an extra loss on his record 'cuz he caved to IMG pressure there. If he does so again, he'll just tank in 1st round so he can rest.

He's earned ATP enough money already this yr. The difference in #matches he's played & #Thugs has played is already huge. Enough said.

Tennis Fool
10-30-2006, 01:59 AM
I am glad you are not, since under you, no one would want to play tennis, slave master!

Aren't you the guy who inquired why you don't have any friends :wavey:

atheneglaukopis
10-30-2006, 02:03 AM
Yeah, but this isnt clay, so...

With Rogi, Rafi, Arod and Ljubo out of the picture, Blake might start thinking that this really is a Mickey Mouse tourney instead of a Masters Series event. That would be his big chance to win the title and to be crowned King of Disneyland! :yeah: :D2006 is the Year of the Hippo in Paris, just like 2000, 2002, and 2004. The numbers don't lie. ;) :lol:

World Beater
10-30-2006, 02:04 AM

that was mean:( :eek:

Whistleway
10-30-2006, 02:05 AM
Nice rub in mister. You ooze class !

nobama
10-30-2006, 02:11 AM
If there aren't some rules or guidelines, then these Masters events are a joke and a waste of organizers and fans time. Why even hold them if top players can jump ship because "they don't feel like playing."

If you're injured, you're injured. Better excuse then "I just don't feel like it."When did Federer say he was withdrawing because he didn't feel like playing? :shrug: He's not even confirmed to be out of the tournament yet, so he still might play. But the guy has played 90+ matches this year. I think health and taking care not to get injured is more important than anything.

Metis
10-30-2006, 02:15 AM
I hope he plays and reaches the final against Safin. Otherwise I'd like a Tursunov-Safin final please :drool:

Am I asking for too much? :D

cmurray
10-30-2006, 02:16 AM
I hope he plays and reaches the final against Safin. Otherwise I'd like a Tursunov-Safin final please :drool:

Make that two of us. :)

buddyholly
10-30-2006, 02:16 AM
When did Federer say he was withdrawing because he didn't feel like playing?

From the mouth of Federer: He will decide on Monday whether he may or may not play. Nothing to do with injury, only to do with wanting to or not.

nobama
10-30-2006, 02:27 AM

As for Fed pulling out, he has played 92 matches this year, 85 last year, 80 before that....that's a career for most people. He absolutely needs to be in Shanghai or the TMC basically will lose all meaning.Well Gstaad is on clay sandwiched in between grass and hard court seasons so it makes sense that he wouldn't play it. I guess it depends how important Basel is to him. I'd rather see him skip one of the TMS events so he can play Basel, but I know they're required events so that's harder to do.

victory1
10-30-2006, 02:36 AM
Please, what all the bitching about; both Murray & Nadal would kill over and would not be seen until June of next year if they played 92 matches in 1 season (thats 11 titles and 4 finals (that includes a slam & 2 Master Series on clay) for a total of 15 finals this season. That's a lot of tennis for 1 man!:rolleyes:

nobama
10-30-2006, 02:39 AM
From the mouth of Federer: He will decide on Monday whether he may or may not play. Nothing to do with injury, only to do with wanting to or not.This is what he said:
"I'll wait until Monday, I've got to give myself a day of thought. I've played a lot, this is my 92nd match of the season. I have to be careful." Yeah, we all know he's not injured, but he's trying to prevent an injury and have something in the tank for TMC. He certainly isn't the first and wouldn't be the last player to pull out of a tournament because of fatigue. Neither he nor Nadal were injured when they pulled out of Hamburg but everyone understood why they withdrew from that tournament.

robinhood
10-30-2006, 02:45 AM
Basel has got to move its date before Madrid.
That seems to be the only solution for Fed to play all three indoor tourneys without injury worries.

robinhood
10-30-2006, 02:46 AM

Am I asking for too much? :D

Me three. :hearts::hearts::hearts:

TennisGrandSlam
10-30-2006, 02:50 AM
What a load of %$##%!

http://rawstory.com/news/2006/

____Federer pizza party could be followed by Paris pullout By Bill Scott

dpa German Press Agency
Published: Sunday October 29, 2006

By Bill Scott, Basel- Roger Federer celebrated long-sought hometown success after winning the Swiss Indoors on Sunday, sharing pizza with the current crop of ballboys after serving as one of their number little more than a decade ago. "Winning at home, it's one of those moments which I'll never forget. It's an incredible feeling, when I look at the ball boys and realise I was one 12 years or more ago," said the dominator of the game. "Suddenly, I'm standing there with the trophy."

The world number 1 lifted the Basel title on his third try, defeating Chile's Fernando Gonzalez 6-3, 6-2, 7-6 (7-3).

"This is an exciting moment and one of the nicest titles (out of 44) of my career."

But with rival Rafael Nadal forced to pull out of the Paris Masters starting Monday after straining ribs during training, Federer will also be pondering his own options.

Both men are among the four qualified for the season-ending Masters Cup in Shanghai starting Nov.12.

"I'll wait until Monday, I've got to give myself a day of thought," said the Swiss, 87-5 this season with 11 titles.

The winner of four titles in five weeks - he also beat Gonzalez easily last Sunday in Madrid - is considering caution.

"I've played a lot, this is my 92nd match of the season. I have to be careful."

The 2000 and 2001 Basel finalist added: "It all depends on how I feel. I will got to Paris - if it's to play or to pull out, I'll decide tomorrow."

The top seed spent 1 hour, 59 minutes in trouncing Gonzalez for the ninth time without defeat. The straight-sets outcome was a repeat of last week's Madrid final, which ended even quicker.

Gonzalez, set for a rise from his current ninth in the chase for one of the four remaining spots in next month's season-ending Masters Cup in China, couldn't help but joke after his third disappointment in an indoor final in as many weeks.

"I played good tennis all week, I was just unlucky again to play against Roger. He's the No. 1 and he's winning every week - we're all very jealous, but it's nothing personal."

In addition to going down to Federer last weekend in Spain, Gonzalez also lost the Vienna final this month to Ivan Ljubicic.

The South American will soldier on at next week's Paris Masters, final event of the regular ATP season, where Federer will be chasing his 12th trophy of the campaign.

"I'm really tired, but glad to have reached another final, I played my best but couldn't do anything," said the world number 7 Chilean.

Federer said he's amazed by his continuing success. "It's quite incredible, come back from winning Tokyo and with the indoor season coming.

"You just hope it will go well. To win Madrid and then here is a hard thing to do."

Federer rained down 14 aces as stretched a win streak to 24 straight matches. Basel marked his fourth title in as many events after the US Open, Tokyo and Madrid.

Gonzalez fought to force the third set into a tiebreaker, managing a 6-5 lead after saving three break points over the course of seven deuces in the marathon game.

But Federer merely won his third straight tiebreaker of the week, watching as a final Gonzalez return sailed long over the baseline.

The world number 1 now stands 11-4 in finals this season, all of his losses coming against Spanish world number 2 Rafael Nadal.

© 2006 dpa German Press Agency
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

He should withdraw!

1 month - 3 titles (18 matches)

Roger is not robot, he needs rest! :o

AMS Paris organizer should be balmed.

Paris Master is not a plan of Roger, but the organizer invites him because many famous players withdraw. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
10-30-2006, 03:48 AM
Pls not play,I'd rather see others to win!

DrJules
10-30-2006, 06:20 AM
It does seem unfair letting other players winning master series titles.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rogiman
10-30-2006, 06:46 AM
It's a pity such a great event as Paris Indoors with all its great tradition has been reduced to a low-priority event by many elite players in the last few years.

Not so long ago it used to be one of the game's most prestigious tourneys, with the list of winners including pretty much every great champion of the open era.

I hope Federer will start playing it regularly from next year on - if anything he should skip the Spanish Nationalistic Festival in Madrid, or Basel - but this year that would be too much.

t0x
10-30-2006, 06:49 AM
I hope Fed does withdraw, he looked quite tired against Ferrer and Paradorn.

I'd prefer him take the week off instead of going there and playing total crap, and possibly burning himself out for the TMC.

It's his choice though, he seemed to be trying to save energy against Gonzo - and the BYE might just encourage him to show up if he's feeling OK.

Exodus
10-30-2006, 06:50 AM
you have to give roger for playing basel at all, for most players would have played madrid and paris.

mandoura
10-30-2006, 06:54 AM
And no other player has ever done this at any other tournament ever before in the history of tennis.

So every tennis player with ATP points has to play everyday to show their solidarity with the laborers of the world. Brilliant idea.

Kids like pizza. Filet mignon would have been wasted on them. I bet those ball kids got the best pizza in town, and plenty of it.

Why are you so bitter? Who peed in your Cheerios?

:lol:

I must spread the love first before you know what. :D

Jaffas85
10-30-2006, 07:09 AM
He should just alternate every year:

One year Madrid then Basel then rest till TMC.

Then the next year Basel then Paris then rest until TMC.

David Kenzie
10-30-2006, 07:41 AM
Anyone who plays tennis and anyone who has been injured will understand that he should withdraw.
Nobody wants him to get injured and then miss the Masters Cup.

mandoura
10-30-2006, 07:57 AM
"I'll wait until Monday, I've got to give myself a day of thought. I've played a lot, this is my 92nd match of the season. I have to be careful."

From the mouth of Federer: He will decide on Monday whether he may or may not play. Nothing to do with injury, only to do with wanting to or not.

Surely you don't believe this is the same thing, do you?

As mirkaland posted earlier, this is not the same as "not feeling like it".

RonE
10-30-2006, 08:46 AM
Come on Roger, please announce your withdrawal from Paris already. The suspense is killing us all :p

Ruski
10-30-2006, 08:51 AM
It's a right move for Roger to withdraw from Paris!
Masters Cup is bigger than a Masters Series title!
He should be rested enough to have the battle in Shanghai!

Jack Sparrow
10-30-2006, 09:40 AM
latest news: roger federer decided to retire from paris master....
he justified his decision saying he was too tired and he don't want to risk an injury for the master cup....
for me this is a great decision....very intelligent!!!!

Deathless Mortal
10-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Yes!! That's what I was waiting for!!

adee-gee
10-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Must've been scared of his draw :shrug:

yanchr
10-30-2006, 09:42 AM
:yeah:

Action Jackson
10-30-2006, 09:43 AM
As surprising as the sun rises in the east.

Ad Wim
10-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Source?

Deathless Mortal
10-30-2006, 09:44 AM
Yeah, what's the source?

scarecrows
10-30-2006, 09:47 AM
it was obvious, why did he take so long to make this announcment is surprising for me

the organizers are gonna be really pissed now

Ceri
10-30-2006, 09:50 AM
I hope Fed does withdraw, he looked quite tired against Ferrer and Paradorn.

I'd prefer him take the week off instead of going there and playing total crap, and possibly burning himself out for the TMC.

It's his choice though, he seemed to be trying to save energy against Gonzo - and the BYE might just encourage him to show up if he's feeling OK.

Exactly - all these people complaining about how he is soooo arrogant/idiotic/pathetic to consider skipping an event because he wants to prevent burnout before Shanghai need to take a reality check. If he plays and strains something before TMC, people (apart from the haters) will no doubt complain in their wisdom that he should've dropped out of Paris. Ultimately this is his decision, and as the No1 his health is his top concern.

leng jai
10-30-2006, 09:50 AM
At this rate Robredo will have another Master Series title.

beti
10-30-2006, 09:53 AM
YES, YES, YES!!!! that are just great news!!!! :D

WF4EVER
10-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Amen

Frooty_Bazooty
10-30-2006, 09:54 AM
its the same situation as Hmaburg now. who is gonna take advantage of the Fed-Nadal free draw like Robredo did?

Grenouille
10-30-2006, 09:58 AM
bitch

Ad Wim
10-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Gonzalez or Berdych.

uglyamerican
10-30-2006, 10:01 AM
its the same situation as Hmaburg now. who is gonna take advantage of the Fed-Nadal free draw like Robredo did?

Djokovic! or possibly Davydenko.

Also no Roddick, Nalbandian, Ljubicic, Baghdats...

RonE
10-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Good!

Now rest up and prepare for Shanghai.

Abe NL
10-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Gonzalez or Berdych.

Don't think Gonzalez has it in him to make another run deep in the tournament. He's been playing quite some tennis lately as well. I think Super Mario has a great shot at taking him out.

Duncan
10-30-2006, 10:12 AM
my odds for Berdych to win now are looking very awesome indeed. Hope they don't cancel all bets! lol

*Ljubica*
I hope Gonzalez wins it - he deserves it after the last few weeks' efforts.

Ays25
i knew it.. he is affraid of losing and he doesnt show up

feuselino
10-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Too bad, but I am sure it is the right decision. Rogi is a pro through and through...

So, that leaves Bercy the only important tournament where Roger hasn't reached at least the final... (plus the Olympics...) - in the eight other Masters tournaments, in the Masters Cup and of course in the four Grand Slam he has at least reached the final... and he just recently turned 25... a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!

I hope next year he will skip Madrid and play Bercy instead...

Exodus
10-30-2006, 10:14 AM
safin's gonna win it now...probably :)

Deathless Mortal
10-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Don't think Gonzalez has it in him to make another run deep in the tournament. He's been playing quite some tennis lately as well. I think Super Mario has a great shot at taking him out.

:worship:

Abe NL
10-30-2006, 10:16 AM

:rolleyes:

Exodus
10-30-2006, 10:18 AM

afraid of losing? he have played a lot of tournaments lately so give him a break. the one that's afraid of losing is nadal...

Deivid23
10-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Source for this anyone?

fanancic
10-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Now Mario has to take his chance!

scarecrows
10-30-2006, 10:23 AM

TennisGrandSlam
10-30-2006, 10:26 AM

So, ...

Rafa is affraid of losing.

Nalby is affraid of losing.

Every players declared withdrawal are affraid of losing.

Tired players must lose, they are not robat. (Rogi played 3 0f 4 week in October and won 3 titles, could not he take a rest!) :mad:

Deathless Mortal
10-30-2006, 10:28 AM
So, ...

Rafa is affraid of losing.

Nalby is affraid of losing.

Every players declared withdrawal are affraid of losing.

Tired players must lose, they are not robat. (Rogi played 3 0f 4 week in October and won 3 titles, could not he take a rest!) :mad:

:haha: So, first 5 tennis players in the world are afraid of losing... :haha:

Ays25
10-30-2006, 10:28 AM
afraid of losing? he have played a lot of tournaments lately so give him a break. the one that's afraid of losing is nadal...

what about gonzo? he also played in vienna where roger didnt play. got to three finals and still plays in paris.
i am not blaming fed, i would do the same thing, but the main reason is he is very tired, he knows he can lose and needs some rest.

FedFan
10-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Please, where is the source? :confused:

Abe NL
10-30-2006, 10:31 AM
what about gonzo? he also played in vienna where roger didnt play. got to three finals and still plays in paris.
i am not blaming fed, i would do the same thing, but the main reason is he is very tired, he knows he can lose and needs some rest.

Gonzo HAS to play if he wants a shot at Shanghai.

Federer HAS to rest if he wants a shot at winning Shanghai.

Iceberg_10
10-30-2006, 10:32 AM
good new for everyone really?

Deathless Mortal
10-30-2006, 10:33 AM

Gonzo is still chasing Shangai!! He must play in Bercy!!

Ad Wim
10-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Gonzalez lost twice to Federer in the last two finals so with Federer withdrawing you'd give Gonzo a good chance. But don't forget that Gonzo should have lost last week to Fish.

radics
10-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Roger has already played (and won!) three tournaments in October. I think it's understandable if he wants to take a break. I'm very sorry for the Masters Series Paris organisation and the crowd there, but I'm sure he will play it sometimes (maybe next year?). I mean I was also pissed when I heared Nadal wont play Basel since I was already exited to see him (finally) live there, but I accept hes decision. And even if they earn a lot of money, they are still human and need to recharge their batteries from time to time.

decrepitude
10-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Please, where is the source? :confused:

While it may happen - he said yesterday that he would make up his mind today - this thread is jumping the gun. There is nothing about it on Federer's website, nor in any of the other sources I have checked.

landoud
10-30-2006, 10:41 AM
good news...
hope Gonzo wins , he deserves a title

nobama
10-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Gonzo's still trying to make TMC. Otherwise I think he'd be pulling out too.

nobama
10-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Yeah, what's the source for this?

sorrowman
Yes,which is the source for that?is very important

{Annie}
Noone has named a source yet :rolleyes:

Chris Seahorse
I am very surprised to see some posters who should know better taking the word of someone with 10 posts and no evidence. It is possible Federer has withdrawn from Paris or plans to do so but I have seen not one bit of evidence for it nor can I see a good reason for him doing so. This is a very different situation from the German Open (where he was coming from a 5 hour match on clay). He has won tournaments the last 2 weeks but only in one match was he really stretched and having a bye in the 1st round in Paris he will have two days to rest. And indoor tennis is not really that tiring - the points are short. Federer is very fit and see no reason why he should not be ready to play Paris and I for one am not convinced the guy has withdrawn.

~EMiLiTA~
10-30-2006, 10:47 AM
no surprise really, but nothing is official for me until there is a credible source

Federer01
10-30-2006, 10:53 AM
I do believe people are jumping the gun. Its funny not one person can come up with the source of where they read that Federer had withdrawn from Paris. I think us Federer fans just need to stay calm until we gather sufficient evidence to back up these claims. Go Federer :)

Purple Rainbow
10-30-2006, 11:02 AM
3 pages of bs, without a source. See how easy it is to create a story...

Howard
10-30-2006, 11:08 AM
If it's true, I think itís a lousy thing to do. A lot of people buy tickets based on whoís gong to be in the tournament. Since he gets to almost every final, Federer had to know that scheduling Paris right after Basel was a dicey proposition. If you commit to play you should play (barring injury of course). Itís a matter of keeping your word. Itís what honorable people do.

For the record, Fed has been my favorite player for the past three years.

~EMiLiTA~
10-30-2006, 11:08 AM
3 pages of bs, without a source. See how easy it is to create a story...

exactly...u can make a post about anything on here and ppl will go psycho :rolleyes:

MariaV
10-30-2006, 11:09 AM

Marat Safin. :D

Byrd
10-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Ummm not too sure, he's still listed on the official page as one of the players participating, so the initial feeling is that he's still playing until I get a official source that says he isn't playing.

Howard
10-30-2006, 11:12 AM
I went to the website to see if there was any news about this and there wasnít. I tried pulling up the main draw but it wouldnít open. So Iím skeptical of the claim. I hope he plays even if he loses early.

Purple Rainbow
10-30-2006, 11:14 AM
If it's true, I think itís a lousy thing to do. A lot of people buy tickets based on whoís gong to be in the tournament. Since he gets to almost every final, Federer had to know that scheduling Paris right after Basel was a dicey proposition. If you commit to play you should play (barring injury of course). Itís a matter of keeping your word. Itís what honorable people do.

You can't pull out of a TMS event when you're still active in a tournament the week before. They're mandatory events, you know.

revolution
10-30-2006, 11:18 AM
what a ridiculous thread :haha:

Mrs. B
10-30-2006, 11:18 AM
after the home win, expected. ;)

Xristos
10-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Hate to say I told you so...

Chris Seahorse
10-30-2006, 11:22 AM
I think at this point it is fair to say that in all likelihood a substantial number of regular posters were had. Well done to all of those who expressed suspicion something wasn't right. :haha: and :smash: to all those who fell for it hook line and sinker.

mandoura
10-30-2006, 11:23 AM
I hope Gonzalez wins it - he deserves it after the last few weeks' efforts.

Yup, I second that. :)

Chris Seahorse
10-30-2006, 11:25 AM
I third the Gonzo support - whether Federer is there or not (and I strongly suspect he will be there).

scoobs
10-30-2006, 11:27 AM
I suspect he's going to play and until I see something official I will continue to believe otherwise.

I get the feeling he doesn't want to let the Paris organisers down.

NicoFan
10-30-2006, 11:30 AM
First Rafa, now Roger.

If I were the organizers of Paris-Bercy...or a fan going there...I would be totally pissed.

This is embarrassing for the sport. A "masters series" event...yeah that means a lot.

Of course, rr will solve much of this. ;) :rolleyes:

zicofirol
10-30-2006, 11:32 AM
lol there is no source for this but people still buying into it.

nobama
I think at this point it is fair to say that in all likelihood a substantial number of regular posters were had. Well done to all of those who expressed suspicion something wasn't right. :haha: and :smash: to all those who fell for it hook line and sinker.He said he was going to decide today. The day isn't over yet. :p

WF4EVER
I agree there's no source up to now, which is rather strange and the poster didn't bother to comment on it afterwards either. But I hope he has because I think it's the wise thing to do.

This poster must be seriously starved for attention if he/she started this thread untruthfully.

mandoura
10-30-2006, 11:39 AM
I think at this point it is fair to say that in all likelihood a substantial number of regular posters were had. Well done to all of those who expressed suspicion something wasn't right. :haha: and :smash: to all those who fell for it hook line and sinker.

Anyways, if, and only if, we get an official source and Roger indeed withdraws, I hope Gonzo wins it. :)

I think there was a rule about posting wrong scores. I don't mean to be a party booper, but how about fake news? ;) :p

LilyRoseAva
10-30-2006, 11:41 AM
proof please ??

nobama
10-30-2006, 11:45 AM

Paris is technically a required event. It's automatically in his schedule. Of course when a player cites injury we all take them at their word and have no problem with them withdrawing. But if a player cites fatigue and wanting to be careful to not get injured then that's not an honorable thing to do? I think players health should come first.

Federer01
10-30-2006, 11:47 AM
I agree the poster did not bother to back up his/her claim and has created a commotion. The day isn't over as advised above but I still believe its best for us Fed Fans to not get carried away. It is very hard to play back to back tournaments.

Lol at the poster being an attention seeker. I agree.

Billabong
10-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Almost 3 hours since this thread has been created, and still no source:lol:? I searched in Google and there is absolutely no info on that, the latest news was from 6 hours ago and it says Federer is still doubtful for the Paris Masters (exhausted), but noone said he really withdrew...

rolandgarros
10-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Reuters confirms it
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=reu-parisfederer&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Duncan
10-30-2006, 12:18 PM
Sky Sports confirms it. Exhaustion!

Billabong
10-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the sources:) Now we can finally talk about it seriously;) Great decision by Fed, he played a lot of matches recently and definitely needs all the rest he can for TMC:)

avocadoe
10-30-2006, 12:23 PM
okay...smart move...glad he let himself do it!!!

LilyRoseAva
10-30-2006, 12:25 PM
NOOO :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

marcelwks
10-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Safin , Gasquet or Berdych will win :p

TULY
10-30-2006, 12:29 PM
http://www.eurosport.com/tennis/paris-masters/2006/sport_sto997192.shtml

Billabong
10-30-2006, 12:31 PM
FRANCE 3:

Au lendemain du forfait de Rafael Nadal, c'est le N.1 mondial qui s'est retiré du BNP Paribas Masters de Bercy.

Après avoir remporté pour la première fois de sa carrière le Masters Series de Madrid puis le tournoi de Bâle, Roger Federer s'est déclaré trop fatigué pour participer au tournoi parisien, évitant tout "surmenage". Il ne fera donc pas pas la passe de 3 puisqu'il ne s'est jamais imposé à Bercy, lui dont la dernière apparition au POPB remonte à 2003.

TRANSLATION:

The day after Nadal's withdrawal, the tennis world #1 withdrew from the PNB Paribas Masters event.

After winning the Tennis Masters Series event of Madrid and the tournament of Basel, Roger Federer found himself too tired to participate in the Parisian tournament, trying to avoid exhaustion. His last appearance in Bercy was in 2003.

Ad Wim
10-30-2006, 12:45 PM
And Gabashvili will come in his place.

Jack Sparrow
10-30-2006, 12:51 PM

there is a little difference....gonzo has to qualify for the master cup so he must play...roger don't need to play,so he can have rest and prepare well for shanghai...
only one tennis player was afraid to play paris: Nadal....

Corey Feldman
10-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Was expected but i have to ask myself what the fuck was all the shiet yesterday of saying he'd make a decision for? everyone knew he'd do this... paris organizers have every right to be pissed of at him imo... 3 straight years he's not played here - says it all.

we all knew when he said he'd play Madrid, Basel and Paris he'd crap out of one of them and so he does.

he is no Kafelnikov or Becker put it that way.

Mrs. B
10-30-2006, 12:57 PM
let Xristos play then! :p

Ernham
10-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Almost everyone expected this after his entrance in Basel. However, I personally didn't think he would pull out until after that match with Paradorn. That said, I'm glad he was honest and said he's tired, as opposed to pulling a Roddick/Nadal.

Jack Sparrow
10-30-2006, 01:00 PM
nobody believe in me...i said that roger pulled out of paris master 4 hours ago...but everybody continued to ask source,sourc,source....
now do you have the confirm?!
i say only true things....

Deivid23
10-30-2006, 01:01 PM

:retard:

scoobs
10-30-2006, 01:03 PM
People sometimes start this kind of thread as a joke - you can hardly expect people to blindly believe someone who's just joined the board without some sort of source.

There's no need to take offense - people just expect stories to be validated with some sort of source around here. As it turns out, confirmation came.

Jimnik
10-30-2006, 01:13 PM
So this is now, officially, the first TMS featuring none of the top 5 players.

Davydenko is the highest ranked player.

RonE
Was expected but i have to ask myself what the fuck was all the shiet yesterday of saying he'd make a decision for? everyone knew he'd do this... paris organizers have every right to be pissed of at him imo... 3 straight years he's not played here - says it all.

we all knew when he said he'd play Madrid, Basel and Paris he'd crap out of one of them and so he does.

he is no Kafelnikov or Becker put it that way.

You forget that neither Kafelnikov or even Becker who was arguably the best indoor player of all time won 3 tournaments back to back 2 of them being TMS events. When Becker won Stockholm and Stuttgart (the then venues for Madrid) in both 1994 and 1996 he bombed out of Paris both years. I would like to have seen them in Roger's position winning two tournaments in a row knowing that their participation in a third could impact their performance at the TMC I'm sure they would have also opted for this option.

nobama
http://www.eurosport.com/tennis/paris-masters/2006/sport_sto997192.shtml
Thank God!

R.Federer
10-30-2006, 01:15 PM
As usual, Paris suffers the ignominy of being so late in the season. Pioline calls for suspensions in the future:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/6097118.stm

And fellow tournament co-director, and former player, Cedric Pioline, called for players to be suspended for mssing tournaments.

"There's a problem with the structure of the calendar between Masters Series events and other tournaments," he said.

"The only penalty of any use would be suspension. It's the only thing the players understand because financial penalties won't make any difference."

Corey Feldman
10-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Well said Pioline.

Corey Feldman
10-30-2006, 01:19 PM
nobody believe in me...i said that roger pulled out of paris master 4 hours ago...but everybody continued to ask source,sourc,source....
now do you have the confirm?!
i say only true things....You tell em Jack :yeah:

nobama
10-30-2006, 01:20 PM

he is no Kafelnikov or Becker put it that way.I'll go into 'fedtard' mode for you :p The past two years he was injured and this year he comes in to Paris having played 90+ matches on the year, 15 finals. This is two years in a row Nadal hasn't played Paris. Should we be pissed at him too? And all the other top players who withdrew?

WF4EVER
10-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Well, they just announced it on ESPN Deportes so I'm more than satisfied.

star
10-30-2006, 01:22 PM
As usual, Paris suffers the ignominy of being so late in the season. Pioline calls for suspensions in the future:

And fellow tournament co-director, and former player, Cedric Pioline, called for players to be suspended for mssing tournaments.

"There's a problem with the structure of the calendar between Masters Series events and other tournaments," he said.

"The only penalty of any use would be suspension. It's the only thing the players understand because financial penalties won't make any difference."

Pioline has it right.

But, still, practically every player is carrying some little injury late in the season, and they will just get a doctor to say they can't play. As long as player's don't feel a duty to the sport as well as to themselves, players will pull out of required events. It's not just Federer who does this.

When the players were building the professional tour and tying to earn money, they played week after week after week because they knew they had to sell the product to the public in order to be successful. Players don't feel responsible for the tour any more and haven't for years and years. The tournament directors know they are totally dependent on the players, but the players sort of feel that the tournaments will always be there to give them money.

scoobs
10-30-2006, 01:32 PM
This is an argument as old as time and suspensions won't help - that just penalises other tournaments by ensuring the players aren't allowed to play because they're serving their suspension.

I totally understand Pioline's frustrations but I'm not sure what he expects - the TMC system has ensured that players who qualify early enough have little motivation to turn up in Paris, the season is so long and tiring that many players are carrying an injury at this point and looking to wind down into the off-season.

He'd be better off trying to give incentives to get the players to Paris, not trying to beat them with a suspension stick.

Ultimately I advocate players putting their own health and their own goals ahead of blindly adhering to the rigid schedule laid down by the ATP, regardless of what penalties are levied. I don't want to see players put their health and their careers perhaps at risk from being frogmarched to a tournament they're not up to playing - that benefits nobody. And some unscrupulous players will abuse this as we have seen but I don't see a way around it.

The only way Paris can deal with this is to energetically lobby the ATP to reform the season in the coming couple of years to make it less of a strain on the top players so more of them are in some sort of shape to attend Paris - and to make the tournament more appealing somehow for the players to play.

WF4EVER
10-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Pioline is a jackass. Players have to choose what they can or cannot play.

If you don't give players enough breaks in between major tournament like Rome/Hamburg and Madrid/Basel/Paris it is expected that tournaments will suffer.

And if the suspensions don't work, Pioline, what should the ATP do? Shoot the players?

scoobs
10-30-2006, 01:35 PM
I think I'll go and check on Pioline's end of season records for when he was a player...see if it's a case of "do as I say, not as I did"

Corey Feldman
10-30-2006, 01:36 PM
I'll go into 'fedtard' mode for you The past two years he was injured and this year he comes in to Paris having played 90+ matches on the year, 15 finals. This is two years in a row Nadal hasn't played Paris. Should we be pissed at him too? And all the other top players who withdrew?In a word? Yes. :p
they are pansy assed if you ask me....if injured then ok... but tiredness for pulling out of a big event is a shiet reason to me... nalbi? A-rod - probably couldnt be bothered with the flight back to europe.
i know fed was injured the last 2 years, i thought maybe that would oblige him to try and make an effort this year.
but he doesnt wanna help out a tournie that is already struggling on its ass - as Star said above ^^ he's looking out for himself and fair enough.

Kafelnikov used to come into this event having played well OVER 100 matches for the season year after year (ok not finals every week bla bla bla.. but average semis of probably singles and doubles most weeks for him and is that less work than someone making one singles final in a week?)
the days of the iron men are over, unless you count Davydenko... and even he is supposed to be injured.

*Ljubica*
10-30-2006, 01:39 PM
This is an argument as old as time and suspensions won't help - that just penalises other tournaments by ensuring the players aren't allowed to play because they're serving their suspension.

I totally understand Pioline's frustrations but I'm not sure what he expects - the TMC system has ensured that players who qualify early enough have little motivation to turn up in Paris, the season is so long and tiring that many players are carrying an injury at this point and looking to wind down into the off-season.

He'd be better off trying to give incentives to get the players to Paris, not trying to beat them with a suspension stick.

Ultimately I advocate players putting their own health and their own goals ahead of blindly adhering to the rigid schedule laid down by the ATP, regardless of what penalties are levied. I don't want to see players put their health and their careers perhaps at risk from being frogmarched to a tournament they're not up to playing - that benefits nobody. And some unscrupulous players will abuse this as we have seen but I don't see a way around it.

The only way Paris can deal with this is to energetically lobby the ATP to reform the season in the coming couple of years to make it less of a strain on the top players so more of them are in some sort of shape to attend Paris - and to make the tournament more appealing somehow for the players to play.

Excellent post :worship: Agree with every word.

Corey Feldman
10-30-2006, 01:39 PM
but the ATP are idiots as well...
9 TMS a season, surely the muppets need to learn that you dont need 2 of them in a 3 week spell.

the clay schedule is even worse, but that is partly because they have to fit them in to a short clay season before RG.

nobama
10-30-2006, 01:41 PM

"The only penalty of any use would be suspension. It's the only thing the players understand because financial penalties won't make any difference."So does this apply to any player that withdraws? Even those claiming injury? Of course when a player says they're injured you have to take them at their word, but how do we know how injured they really are? Because if you cite injury nobody (well almost nobody) will question it. And what about the tournaments in between these two Masters events. They had their fair share of withdrawls too.

It's not the players fault that the schedule is so f*cked up. Tiger woods just pulled out of the final PGA tour event of the year to recharge his batteries for 2007. Phil Mickleson pulled out as well. And he's played hardly any golf since his disaster at the US Open. I don't see the PGA tour all in an uproar over it or calling for suspensions. :rolleyes:

star
10-30-2006, 01:41 PM

I always hear this argument that the season is "so long" but in reality the season is shorter now than it used to be. It used to go for the entire year with no off season at all. The AO was played in December well, heaps of players didn't show up for it, but still....

R.Federer
10-30-2006, 01:44 PM
I always hear this argument that the season is "so long" but in reality the season is shorter now than it used to be. It used to go for the entire year with no off season at all. The AO was played in December well, heaps of players didn't show up for it, but still....

You are referring to a time when showing up at the T.M.S was not mandatory. This aspect changes the true length of the season for many players

LilyRoseAva
10-30-2006, 01:45 PM
the only solution : remove points if a player decides not to play .
Injured or not

Example : Federer has a total of 1524 points (Race) He don't play Paris ? Ok that will be - 100 points or more

star
10-30-2006, 01:46 PM
So does this apply to any player that withdraws? Even those claiming injury? Of course when a player says they're injured you have to take them at their word, but how do we know how injured they really are? Because if you cite injury nobody (well almost nobody) will question it. And what about the tournaments in between these two Masters events. They had their fair share of withdrawls too.

It's not the players fault that the schedule is so f*cked up. Tiger woods just pulled out of the final PGA tour event of the year to recharge his batteries for 2007. Phil Mickleson pulled out as well. And he's played hardly any golf since his disaster at the US Open. I don't see the PGA tour all in an uproar over it or calling for suspensions. :rolleyes:

There used to be a rule for the required events that the player had to be examined by the tournament doctor at the the tournament site or face a fine. I think the rich players just took the fine and didn't care. Agassi did that. I don't know if the rule is still in effect.

As for golf.... Well, golf is pretty much rolling in clover these days so, of course, there's less complaining. Tennis tournaments are feeling the pinch.

I think the only thing that will ever translate to the playre's brains is if tournaments start folding and there are fewer tournaments to be played.

star
10-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Injured or not

Example : Federer has a total of 1524 points (Race) He don't play Paris ? Ok that will be - 100 points or more

:lol: 100 points might send a fright into someone, but wouldn't faze Fed. :) :)

star
10-30-2006, 01:49 PM
You are referring to a time when showing up at the T.M.S was not mandatory. This aspect changes the true length of the season for many players

Showing up at requird events doesn't really seem to be happening though.

Plus, most players play far more events than the required events, so it isn't the required events that are causing the long season or overplaying.

nobama
10-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Pioline has it right.

But, still, practically every player is carrying some little injury late in the season, and they will just get a doctor to say they can't play. As long as player's don't feel a duty to the sport as well as to themselves, players will pull out of required events. It's not just Federer who does this.

When the players were building the professional tour and tying to earn money, they played week after week after week because they knew they had to sell the product to the public in order to be successful. Players don't feel responsible for the tour any more and haven't for years and years. The tournament directors know they are totally dependent on the players, but the players sort of feel that the tournaments will always be there to give them money.
I don't think you can compare the sport now to back in the early days. The sport is a lot more physical now. I don't think it's a question of players not feeling a duty to the sport, but rather lack of proper training by some, and general fatigue by others. Of course it's easy for us to say these guys should be able to play week in and week out, DC too, and just suck it up if their tired because [insert player name here] did that in his day. The schedule needs to be reformed. Instead of taking it out on players, the tournaments should be working with the tours to come up with a system and schedule that would prevent these massive pullouts by top players.

Corey Feldman
10-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Tiger woods just pulled out of the final PGA tour event of the year to recharge his batteries for 2007. Phil Mickleson pulled out as well. And he's played hardly any golf since his disaster at the US Open. I don't see the PGA tour all in an uproar over it or calling for suspensions.Mickelson is always pulling out of the end of and beginning of season events :o and ppl do critize him about it. (next year they are making HUGE changes to the golf season - i believe the season will end in octobers from now on and begin late in the next season :eek:)
to me he's lazy.. anyway....

stupid ATP... should be working on things like the schedule, illegal coaching and making better trophies than those shields for TMS events :p .. but no -they'd rather mess around with the fucking round robin stuff
:rolls:

scoobs
10-30-2006, 01:51 PM
They've been ignoring the players for years who have been saying the season is too long, too many tournaments, too many compulsory commitments, not enough rest periods mid-season, too many big tournaments too close together.

In all this time despite several high profile announcements from various people in charge over the last decade, the situation has if anything got worse. Back to back TMS tournaments have become institutionalised on the calendar of late despite most everyone thinking this is a really bad idea. It seems like more and more tournaments went to 5 set finals in spite of the extra demands this places on the players.

Everyone is defending their own slice of the pie and it's the players who end up being forced to choose to play or not and take the consequences and the odium from the tournament directors who don't want the withdrawals.

I despair of someone actually doing something useful about this. Perversely, the ATPs proposals for next year leave these problems in place but add even more problems by introducing RR which may well force players to play even more tennis if they attend those events.

Drastic action is required. There need to be less "top-level" ATP level tournaments they could chop away 25% I think. Yes it would mean losing tournaments and revenue but those left would be strengthened by better fields and more focus. Is there really much point running tournaments where the top seed is something like the world #23? For the average fan on the street that's not much of a pull. We need to get away from running 3 tournaments a week - that fragments the available field far too much. We need to dispassionately examine the case for and against keeping each tournament. Do we really need a third TMS on clay in Hamburg? Make it optional and reduce its status. Do we need Paris to be a TMS? Make it optional - people will still come if they need to qualify for TMC but there won't be the expectation of a complete top-40 field. Do we really need tiny little tournaments like Lyon or Valencia or Palermo or Portschach in countries that already have a tennis tournament or two and are in any case pretty small?

I could go on, but you probably get my point :)

victory1
10-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Exactly - all these people complaining about how he is soooo arrogant/idiotic/pathetic to consider skipping an event because he wants to prevent burnout before Shanghai need to take a reality check. If he plays and strains something before TMC, people (apart from the haters) will no doubt complain in their wisdom that he should've dropped out of Paris. Ultimately this is his decision, and as the No1 his health is his top concern.

Don't you believe it. The haters would be delighted if he was injured, why do you think all the fuss about? I guess they think he is iron man, the man has made it to 15 finals (4 slams, 6 Masters) this year and he cant pull out because he is tired; but other player who started playing in March and loss quarters or earlier since July can claim exhaution!;)

nobama
10-30-2006, 01:52 PM
I always hear this argument that the season is "so long" but in reality the season is shorter now than it used to be. It used to go for the entire year with no off season at all. The AO was played in December well, heaps of players didn't show up for it, but still....Who cares what it used to be. Doesn't mean it was right back then and isn't right now. How many sports out there have seasons that last practically the entire year?

Corey Feldman
10-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Injured or not

Example : Federer has a total of 1524 points (Race) He don't play Paris ? Ok that will be - 100 points or moreThat is a bit extreme :p

but id still prefer you Daniela in charge over Mr Disney De Vile :hug:

nobama
10-30-2006, 01:54 PM
stupid ATP... should be working on things like the schedule, illegal coaching and making better trophies than those shields for TMS events :p .. but no -they'd rather mess around with the fucking round robin stuff
:rolls:That's because Mr. Disney is f*cking clueless.

megadeth
10-30-2006, 01:55 PM
he should join next year and just skip basel (stupid basel!) since he already won it..

scoobs
10-30-2006, 01:56 PM
That's the whole reason the AO was moved back to January and moved onto Rebound Ace in the late 80s - the AO was dying a death in the late 70s and early 80s when it was played in December - hardly anyone could be bothered to go and those that did often suffered unexpected defeats - after a long season naturally they were ragged. And that was a Grand Slam - regardless of the status of the tournament - if it's in the wrong time of season or is unnecessarily a big tournament it will suffer from no-shows.

victory1
10-30-2006, 01:57 PM
he should join next year and just skip basel (stupid basel!) since he already won it..

He will not skip basel, it's his home tournament and should not have to!:rolleyes: I'm sure he cares about Basel more then Madrid or Paris. Next year I'm sure he'll skip Madrid and play Basel & Paris.

R.Federer
10-30-2006, 01:58 PM

I think that's what Cedric said would not work: financial incentives don't work, is what he said. He is correct. No one is going to put their physical well being for the next year ahead of a couple bucks (all except those in need of the cash). It is a difficult situation.

What might work is "points bonus", that the later the T.M.S, the more ranking points at stake. I could see an idea like that working, but being unpopular.

star
10-30-2006, 02:02 PM
That's the whole reason the AO was moved back to January and moved onto Rebound Ace in the late 80s - the AO was dying a death in the late 70s and early 80s when it was played in December - hardly anyone could be bothered to go and those that did often suffered unexpected defeats - after a long season naturally they were ragged. And that was a Grand Slam - regardless of the status of the tournament - if it's in the wrong time of season or is unnecessarily a big tournament it will suffer from no-shows.

I think it's true that players will pull out of tournaments at the end of the season. I think if the last tournament of the year were in June, there would be people pulling out of tournaments at the end of May.

Players didn't go to AO because it was far away and it took the players away at Christmas time. Even aftre it changed to the begging of the year there were players who still skipped it, e.g. Agassi. Once it changed to rebound Ace, it seemed the attendance incrased. At least that's my memory.

scoobs
10-30-2006, 02:04 PM
I didn't say financial incentives...part of the problem is appearance money at some tournaments encourages players to play too many optionals and leaves them worn out for the biggies.

Incentives of other kinds - like...I don't know - off the top of my head... a tournament that really pampers the players, that gives them access to physios, masseurs at all times, that goes out of its way to look after the players so that the players, tired at the end of the season, look forward to going there to be looked after.

It seems to me that a tournament right at the end of the season would do well to offer a "come here - play - and we'll REALLY look after you and pamper you" type offering as an inducement.

Bonus points possibly too...not a bad idea particularly if there's players racing to get into the TMC.

I don't know - I feel that this is always going to be a problem at the end of a season. But I also feel that they'd do better with carrots than they will with sticks.

star
10-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Who cares what it used to be. Doesn't mean it was right back then and isn't right now. How many sports out there have seasons that last practically the entire year?

The point is that the season is shorter now than it has ever been. Whenever the end of the season comes, players will be anticipating the end and claim tiredness etc. because they see little advantage for the expenditure of energy that isn't going to have much reward at the end of the season.

star
10-30-2006, 02:08 PM
I also think another thing that is more taxing now on the playres is that they are truly playing and expected to play all over the world. It's great that the sport is international, but they are spreading the product awfully thin.

star
10-30-2006, 02:11 PM
I didn't say financial incentives...part of the problem is appearance money at some tournaments encourages players to play too many optionals and leaves them worn out for the biggies.

Incentives of other kinds - like...I don't know - off the top of my head... a tournament that really pampers the players, that gives them access to physios, masseurs at all times, that goes out of its way to look after the players so that the players, tired at the end of the season, look forward to going there to be looked after.

It seems to me that a tournament right at the end of the season would do well to offer a "come here - play - and we'll REALLY look after you and pamper you" type offering as an inducement.

Bonus points possibly too...not a bad idea particularly if there's players racing to get into the TMC.

I don't know - I feel that this is always going to be a problem at the end of a season. But I also feel that they'd do better with carrots than they will with sticks.

I agree that "sticks" aren't going to solve the problem. It's partly for the reason that there can never be a "stick" big enough, and partly because players and tournaments are interdependent. They need each other. Tournaments can't afford to alienate players, adn the ATP is not going to alienate players either. So, maybe your idea of being totally pampered is the way to go, but.... that costs money for the tournamets too.

I still think that whenever the season ends there will be pull outs.

scoobs
10-30-2006, 02:14 PM
True. In spite of the fact most tournaments are still played in Western Europe and North America, there are now significant swings in Australia, South East Asia and South America, as well as increasingly in Eastern Europe too.

If they want to grow the game in these areas of the world they will have to prune some tournaments from Europe and America.

case
10-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Who cares what it used to be. Doesn't mean it was right back then and isn't right now. How many sports out there have seasons that last practically the entire year?

and you live in america?? :haha: basedball, baketball, football, hockey.
for just a few examples. they go into training, preseason, and finally the regular season . then of course the playoffs. seasons with 100+ games.

And-they play many back to back games, travel,etc. if Steve Nash went to his the fans and said he'll skip a week because he is tired he'd be fined and suspended. Forget the tickets the fans bought, basketball organisations, the promoters, the advertisers, the media, Forget all that-HES TOO TIRED!!

TOO tired to do hi f***ing job. Fed sucks and what he did IS TERRIBLE for a sport that struggles. it hurts all of us that love the sport. And so many here have posted that your glad and he should save himself? what planet do you live on?

scoobs
10-30-2006, 02:17 PM
I agree that "sticks" aren't going to solve the problem. It's partly for the reason that there can never be a "stick" big enough, and partly because players and tournaments are interdependent. They need each other. Tournaments can't afford to alienate players, adn the ATP is not going to alienate players either. So, maybe your idea of being totally pampered is the way to go, but.... that costs money for the tournamets too.

I still think that whenever the season ends there will be pull outs.
True.

There's no one foolproof solution to this problem.

There's always going to be this kind of conflict between tournaments who want to get the best draw they can, players who want to look after their own interests first and foremost, and the ATP, which supposedly is keeping an eye on the big picture.

R.Federer
10-30-2006, 02:19 PM
And so many here have posted that your glad and he should save himself? what planet do you live on?

Don't kid yourself. Players that have withdrawn with "injury" are most likely more tired than injured as well. The gravely injured will all be well in time for slams and T.M.C even if they were near disability just a few days before.

We know Fed has the knack of speaking the hard truth, regardless of how bluntly it comes out (see: Djokovic's injury timeouts are a joke).

And, Happy Halloween to Mr. Murray too. :)

Deboogle!.
10-30-2006, 02:22 PM
for just a few examples. they go into training, preseason, and finally the regular season . then of course the playoffs. seasons with 100+ games.

And-they play many back to back games, travel,etc. if Steve Nash went to his the fans and said he'll skip a week because he is tired he'd be fined and suspended. Forget the tickets the fans bought, basketball organisations, the promoters, the advertisers, the media, Forget all that-HES TOO TIRED!!

TOO tired to do hi f***ing job. Fed sucks and what he did IS TERRIBLE for a sport that struggles. it hurts all of us that love the sport. And so many here have posted that your glad and he should save himself? what planet do you live on?You can't honestly be seriously comparing the physical demands of those sports with tennis. Baseball pitchers, who do to their arms similar to what tennis players do, pitch what, once every 3 days and are taken out of the game when they have thrown 100 pitches or even less?

scoobs
10-30-2006, 02:23 PM

TOO tired to do hi f***ing job. Fed sucks and what he did IS TERRIBLE for a sport that struggles. it hurts all of us that love the sport. And so many here have posted that your glad and he should save himself? what planet do you live on?
You can't compare team sports where the effort is team-based and less individually demanding to solo sports where there's one person who has to do it all for, generally, longer than team sports games go, often on fixed time limits.

You might think Fed sucks - I disagree. He has to be his own advocate for preserving his own health and fitness because no-one else will. In a team sport if one player is on the bench the reserve can come in and take the place - the game goes ahead. Tennis doesn't work like that. Regardless of what he's committed to he has to make decisions on what's best for his health and wellbeing.

People can complain all they like - it's an unfortunate situation. But few if any player in recent years has shown as much commitment to his sport as Federer has so questioning his attitude from that perspective is way off base.

If it were up to everyone else sorting out Federer's competing demands for him, he'd be physically crippled by now - everyone wants a piece of him and few care about what's in his best interest in the short term and in the broad sweep of his career.

In solo sports the person playing has to make the right decision for them, regardless of how unfortunate it is from the POV of timing or propriety.

It's precisely because he makes these hard decisions, like he did at Hamburg this year, that he keeps himself fit and healthy and able to play all season long, and can look forward to another good year next year.

I respect and support his decision wholeheartedly, as disappointed as I am about the field for Paris. He did what was right for him.

Boris Franz Ecker
10-30-2006, 02:24 PM

Nearly no player plays all AMS tournaments.
So the "mandatory" is irrelevant.

victory1
10-30-2006, 02:25 PM

You can bitch when Murray wins 11 tournaments in 1 year and play 4 additional finals, including all the slams.:wavey: I dont think you have any conception of how much tennis that is to play and avoid injury!:rolleyes: Federer is obviously during something right in managing his schedule, but I'm sure you dont see it that way!

Deboogle!.
10-30-2006, 02:27 PM
You can bitch when Murray wins 11 tournaments in 1 year and play 4 additional finals, including all the slams.:wavey: I dont think you have any conception of how much tennis that is to play and avoid injury!:rolleyes:good point, how ironic that post came from someone who supports a player who somehow managed to be tired in a best-of-3 grass match and who was going to pull out of the last two tourneys of the year for what reason? awwwwwww he's mentally tired. Delicious irony :haha:

case
10-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Don't kid yourself. Players that have withdrawn with "injury" are most likely more tired than injured as well. The gravely injured will all be well in time for slams and T.M.C even if they were near disability just a few days before.

We know Fed has the knack of speaking the hard truth, regardless of how bluntly it comes out (see: Djokovic's injury timeouts are a joke

hard truth? what message is fed sending to tournaments? you think he knew he couldnt play both so he lets them advertise, sell tickets, etc.
it sucks no matter how many people want to sugar coat it. and words do matter-he should have faked an injury instead of telling his fans in paris you dont mean as much to me as other places and its okay to waste your money on me your just idiot fans.(basel shanghai) tennis has to have major tournaments to promote. this is very bad for the sport.

revolution
10-30-2006, 02:29 PM
case is a Gasquet fan, not Murray. :lol:

case
10-30-2006, 02:29 PM
You can bitch when Murray wins 11 tournaments in 1 year and play 4 additional finals, including all the slams.:wavey: I dont think you have any conception of how much tennis that is to play and avoid injury!:rolleyes: Federer is obviously during something right in managing his schedule, but I'm sure you dont see it that way!

actually im not a murray fan look at my avatar. its a joke on that bad atp photo of murray looking like dracula (bad teeth and with blood running down his arm.

TennisGrandSlam
10-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Wise Decision :)

revolution
good point, how ironic that post came from someone who supports a player who somehow managed to be tired in a best-of-3 grass match and who was going to pull out of the last two tourneys of the year for what reason? awwwwwww he's mentally tired. Delicious irony :haha:

He twisted his ankle in a best of 3 grass match :p :p :p

spooky105
please rogi be ok :awww:

case

:wavey: thank you.:D

victory1
10-30-2006, 02:31 PM

The same statement applies in that case too!;) :D

You can bitch when Gasquet wins 11 tournaments in 1 year and play 4 additional finals, including all the slams. I dont think you have any conception of how much tennis that is to play and avoid injury! Federer is obviously during something right in managing his schedule, but I'm sure you dont see it that way!

nobama
10-30-2006, 02:37 PM
hard truth? what message is fed sending to tournaments? you think he knew he couldnt play both so he lets them advertise, sell tickets, etc.
it sucks no matter how many people want to sugar coat it. and words do matter-he should have faked an injury instead of telling his fans in paris you dont mean as much to me as other places and its okay to waste your money on me your just idiot fans.(basel shanghai) tennis has to have major tournaments to promote. this is very bad for the sport.:lol: and had he come up with some bogus injury everyone on the planet would've know it was bogus and he was withdrawing because of fatiguge.

scoobs
10-30-2006, 02:46 PM
It's just unfortunate that Paris has borne the brunt of his injuries and exhaustion over the last three years - he has yet to play it since he reached #1.

Just like this year where he played Monte Carlo and Rome (tournaments he has skipped in the past) at the expense of Hamburg, next year I expect he will play Basel and Paris at the expense of Madrid.

Purple Rainbow
10-30-2006, 02:48 PM
It's just unfortunate that Paris has borne the brunt of his injuries and exhaustion over the last three years - he has yet to play it since he reached #1.

Just like this year where he played Monte Carlo and Rome (tournaments he has skipped in the past) at the expense of Hamburg, next year I expect he will play Basel and Paris at the expense of Madrid.

If healthy, I think Federer will opt to play Paris and Madrid and skip Basel.
It's the big tournaments that count and winning his hometown tournament was a lifelong dream which is now achieved.
I could be wrong, though...

Billabong
10-30-2006, 02:49 PM
Again, it proves how badly the schedule of the TMS events is. Apart from the clay TMS, which are all stuck in a short period of time, all the other TMS should have at least 2 or 3 weeks between them. The most obvious one is Canada/Cincinnati, they really could place Canada 2 weeks earlier. Same for Madrid, it could easily be 1 or 2 weeks earlier I think. IW/Miami are okay, as they last 2 weeks long each.

Purple Rainbow
10-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Again, it proves how badly the schedule of the TMS events is. Apart from the clay TMS, which are all stuck in a short period of time, all the other TMS should have at least 2 or 3 weeks between them. The most obvious one is Canada/Cincinnati, they really could place Canada 2 weeks earlier. Same for Madrid, it could easily be 1 or 2 weeks earlier I think. IW/Miami are okay, as they last 2 weeks long each.

Rome and Hamburg shouldn't be scheduled back to back either.
It couldn't be too hard to swap Rome with the tournaments played a week earlier, problem solved...

Jimnik
10-30-2006, 02:54 PM
I agree, but this isn't the problem here. Madrid and Paris are seperated by a week and, for the top players, they only need 5 matches to win each of the tournaments.

Yet, for some reason, Paris seems to have an even weaker field than Hamburg and Cincinatti.

Billabong
10-30-2006, 03:00 PM
I agree, but this isn't the problem here. Madrid and Paris are seperated by a week and, for the top players, they only need 5 matches to win each of the tournaments.

Yet, for some reason, Paris seems to have an even weaker field than Hamburg and Cincinatti.

yah I know, but apart from Federer who obviously wanted more than anything to accomplish his dream of winning Basel (which is totally understandable), the top-5 players would definitely have been there, without their injuries. The tournament has really been unlucky I think...

Billabong
10-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Rome and Hamburg shouldn't be scheduled back to back either.
It couldn't be too hard to swap Rome with the tournaments played a week earlier, problem solved...

Yep, in that case there would be 1 week between each of the clay TMS, which would be the best they can do in that period of time:).

megadeth
10-30-2006, 03:08 PM

no, he should skip basel next year and play madrid and paris since that makes much more sense points-wise and also since those 2 are bigger titles!

just like gstaad, roger just wanted to win a country tournament once at least and then skip it the next

FedFan
10-30-2006, 03:13 PM
no, he should skip basel next year and play madrid and paris since that makes much more sense points-wise and also since those 2 are bigger titles!

just like gstaad, roger just wanted to win a country tournament once at least and then skip it the next

He will not skip Basel the next two years, he has an agreement till 2008.

gillian
10-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Thought so.

So, will Berdych defend his title?

nobama
10-30-2006, 03:21 PM

I said this in another thread, but Gstaad is completely different than Basel. It's on clay in between Wimbledon and the US summer hard court season. This is usually when Roger takes his mini-break so it makes sense that he quit playing there (especially because it is on clay). Honestly does it matter if he wins Madrid or Paris more than once? I know TMS events are required and players should be there, but Basel obviously is very emotional for him being that he grew up there and still lives there. He doesn't need the money and right now the 250 point difference is meaningless. So to me the only argument for playing both Madrid and Paris is that they're TMS events and the seeded players should be there if healthy. But as far as chasing Agassi's record 17 TMS titles, there's plenty of other events where he can do that. Until the schedule is overhauled I think certain TMS events like Monte Carlo, Hamburg, Cincy will always be missing some of the top players. I don't expect Blake and Roddick to play Monte Carlo and as long as Nadal continues to win Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Rome I don't expect him to play Hamburg.

Marine
10-30-2006, 03:25 PM
I juste have seen he withdraw !
:fiery: It's a shame !!!!!!!!!!!:fiery:

I'm disguted and very disapointed by Federer... pooor excuse. He would have played wednesday it was enough to take a rest before Bercy, which is a MASTERS SERIES !! We don't care about the masters, he's obsessed by two tournaments in the year, wimbledon and the masters, it starts to really piss me off. It's not correct for the crowd, for the organisators, who try all their possible to make a good tournament. Wihtout the 2 best men of the tour it won't be as great.

Sunset of Age
10-30-2006, 03:32 PM

I'm disguted and very disapointed by Federer... pooor excuse. he's obsessed by two tournaments in the year, wimbledon and the masters, it starts to really piss me off.

:rolleyes:
... and there I was, thinking Rogi has just defended his ELEVENTH title!?
Come on here - he's human as well. Very wise decision to withdraw from Paris and put all efforts on the Masters in Shanghai.

R.Federer
10-30-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm disguted and very disapointed by Federer... pooor excuse. He would have played wednesday it was enough to take a rest before Bercy, which is a MASTERS SERIES !! We don't care about the masters, he's obsessed by two tournaments in the year, wimbledon and the masters, it starts to really piss me off. It's not correct for the crowd, for the organisators, who try all their possible to make a good tournament. Wihtout the 2 best men of the tour it won't be as great.

I am very sorry for ticket holders in Bercy. It is a tough balancing act -- trying to decide what is best for the game/tournament and what is best for the player's own physical wellbeing. No simple solution of course.

But if he lied and said "my achilles tendon has inflamed" or "my right arm felt a pull when I tried to serve during the last serve in the Basel final" would that make you happier? Or does one prefer to hear the bitter truth and say okay, you make me mad for withdrawing but at least you don't insult my intelligence by pretending to be injured and then being fit just a short while later in time for the lucrative and prestigious T.M.C?

ExpectedWinner
10-30-2006, 03:42 PM
basedball, baketball, football, hockey.

Most NHL players have 3-5 month rest before the next season. Only two teams that made the SC final play till mid June.

Also, it's stupid to compare efforts of team and individual players.

Fergie
10-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Good decision Rogi :)

decrepitude
10-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Look at the bright side. So many people say it is boring that Federer and Nadal win all the titles. Here is the chance for other players. Although a Federer fan I think if anything the tournament is MORE exciting now that he has withdrawn - who is going to step up and take the title? It could be one of many.

As for forcing players to play mandatory tournaments, if a more severe penalty than the current one of having to count a zero in their ranking points were found, all that would happen is that there would be a lot of "surprise" first round losses.

Marine
10-30-2006, 03:46 PM
He could have finished his season after Bercy, after all, why not withdraw in the masters ? He would have 2 months to prepar the new season... :rolleyes:
After all, he 'll finish the year number one, masters or not masters...

(yeahhh i'm a bit nervous, yeahhh i'm a bit utopic)

ExpectedWinner
10-30-2006, 03:49 PM
He could have finished his season after Bercy, after all, why not withdraw in the masters ? )[/SIZE]

:haha:

Eden
10-30-2006, 03:53 PM
He could have finished his season after Bercy, after all, why not withdraw in the masters ?

The MC is the tournament of the best 8 players of the season and it is important that the number one appears there. Remembering last year when some players withdrawed from Shanghai and Roger played although just recovering from an injury?

I can understand the disappointment of the people who have bought tickets to see the top players. But does it make sense that the players show up at the tournament when they don't feel fit? I'm convinced the crowd would complain when Roger would maybe only play one or two rounds and then lose because not being 100% fit.

Roger knows his body best and every player has the right to decide what it is good for him.

Marine
10-30-2006, 03:56 PM
I'm convinced the crowd would complain when Roger would maybe only play one or two rounds and then lose because not being 100% fit.

It would have been better, sorry.
I don't want to be realist this evening. I'll try to be tomorrow.

Eden
10-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Fed should have just pretended to sprain something....neck, anke, ribs, abdomen, any part of the body. That would have sounded more legitimate than a dubious "I'm too tired".

Pretending something is really not the kind of game Roger plays ;)

TennisGrandSlam
10-30-2006, 04:11 PM

Nothing to being shame! :mad:

Not only Roger withdraws, but also many top seeds withdraw! :o

Paris Masters organizer does not accept the fact that Pairs tournament is not Roger's plan. Because of withdrawal of many top seeds, the organizer lays the pressure on ATP in order that Roger would attend the tournament. .

They forget that Roger used 3 of 4 weeks in October to play all matches for 3 tournaments (He won all 3 titles in Tokyo, Madrid Masters and Basel :) )

Roger needs a rest! No one except the haters want to see a unhealthy FedCow to play TMC. :rolleyes:

DDrago2
10-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Paris Masters organizer does not accept the fact that Pairs tournament is not Roger's plan. Because of withdrawal of many top seeds, the organizer lays the pressure on ATP in order that Roger would attend the tournament. .

What did I tell you - the French are the most anti-Fed. They want to destroy him - here, on RG...

tennisgal_001
10-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Phew! I've been to hear this great news since last night, and when nothing was announced, I thought "Cincy replay". Thank gosh he's out. Shanghai is WAY too important to risk exhaustion, mental strain, or even minor injury for a MS event. And players DO get to skip 2 AMS events per season, so I'm not sure how some of you are proposing fines, point reduction, or any other type of sanction. Bottom line is: The ATP schedule is densely flawed. The organizers care about profit, through promoting the big names, and the players end up paying for it. Meanwhile, Disney & Co. are too busy coming up with more reason to screw it up.

As for who will win it, bold prediction coming your way: Berdych will defend his title and shock the field to clinch the final spot to Shanghai ;)

Corey Feldman
10-30-2006, 04:36 PM

TOO tired to do hi f***ing job. Fed sucks and what he did IS TERRIBLE for a sport that struggles. it hurts all of us that love the sport. And so many here have posted that your glad and he should save himself? what planet do you live on?i actually agree with ... some of what you are saying.

but the other sports are team sports, tennis players will always look after No1 and screw the rest.
i dont like that Fed has done this and he'll never go down as an iron man or one of the most commited players to the tour of all time (by the end of this year he's played 17 events and 1 davis cup match yet he's pulling from events and 'been tired' alot of times)... but he should be cut a little slack considering he's played and won the last 2 weeks.
its some other players that are a bit more guilty imo... but the scheduling as well.

then again, plenty of the greats from the last 15 years have had no problems turning up in this event and producing the goods.

canbera
10-30-2006, 04:38 PM
it's almost impossible for someone to read through all these 16 pages... so I will just say, that it wasn't THAT unexpected. He has enough Confidence for Shanghai anyways.

RogiFan88
10-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Why all the fuss about Rogi w/d from Paris anyway? You would think that most GM posters would be ecstatic about the news -- one less title for Rogi to win this year and the chance for someone else to grab a nice TMS title. They are too blinded to see the positives... ;)

TennisGrandSlam
10-30-2006, 04:46 PM
What did I tell you - the French are the most anti-Fed. They want to destroy him - here, on RG...

Support Rogi's decision:)

It is unwise to go to Paris without a rest.:devil:

Skyward
10-30-2006, 04:47 PM
(by the end of this year he's played 17 events and 1 davis cup match yet he's pulling from events and 'been tired' alot of times)....

90 matches can tire anyone.

Corey Feldman
10-30-2006, 04:47 PM
its adds to the dissapointment ppl feel towards Fed because of all the other WD'S/top players...
if rafa, roddick, nalbi, ljubo, hewitt and ferrero were all still in... most of MTF and the fans would be happy :p
at least Safin is in.

I wonder if fed likes this event as well, even though he missed the last 2 years from injury.. when he was last here in 2003 i remember him seeming to be in a real bad mood all week and not happy at all, lost the QF then sacked Lundgren.
he went 2-3 in the previous years to that as well since 00.

Corey Feldman
10-30-2006, 04:49 PM
91 matches can tire anyone.That is true.

altho Kaf and Mac would be just warming up their season by the time they hit 91.. singles and doubles ;)

scarecrows
10-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Fed pwns Rafa :rocker:

made the withdrawal announcment 1 day later and got 100 posts more

bokehlicious
10-30-2006, 04:54 PM

:yeah: arrogant frenchies can't handle the fact a little swiss cheese rules the tennis world :o

shotgun
10-30-2006, 04:54 PM
I wonder if fed likes this event as well, even though he missed the last 2 years from injury.. when he was last here in 2003 i remember him seeming to be in a real bad mood all week and not happy at all, lost the QF then sacked Lundgren.
he went 2-3 in the previous years to that as well since 00.

There will definitely come a time when Federer plays it again. I'm pretty sure one of his goals is to win all of the 9 TMS (he still hasn't won Paris, MC and Rome).

Samuel
10-30-2006, 05:20 PM
:yeah: arrogant frenchies can't handle the fact a little swiss cheese rules the tennis world :o

I just wanted to say something similar. :D
Besides he already played in paris this year..I know, I know it's not the same. But the French had their chance to see him. They're just upset that he will be missing too now.
I fully support his desicion. He might skip Madrid and play next year in Bercy, so no need to be angry or anything.:rolleyes:

feuselino
10-30-2006, 05:32 PM
So in Shanghai we will have a well-rested, in-form Roger eager to recapture the Masters Cup title and win in Shanghai for the first time (and riding a 24-match winning streak) against a bunch of tired, half-injured and/or out-of-form rest... this will be a massacre... :) :) :) Go Roger!!

shotgun
10-30-2006, 05:37 PM
case,

why did you edit the thread title back to 'Fed no sure he'll play Paris' when he has already withdrawn?

:confused:

Don't you agree 'Federer withdraws from Paris' is much more informative?

I'm going to edit it back, and I hope not to see any changes again. :)

nobama
10-30-2006, 06:27 PM
This is what the Paris tournament director had to say concerning Roger's withdrawl:
He's scared of pushing too hard, so he'd rather not take the risk. We have the greatest respect for Roger Federer and we have no complaints about his attitude. He was ready to come here to answer questions from the media and to pass a medical but we told him there was no need.

rofe
10-30-2006, 06:32 PM
This is what the Paris tournament director had to say concerning Roger's withdrawl:

Much better attitude than the "experts" on MTF. :rolleyes:

Sunset of Age
10-30-2006, 06:36 PM

Sounds like a reward for his honesty to me. Very nice indeed!

NB: that DOES NOT mean I think other players who have withdrawn haven't been honest... Just saying. :angel: