French Tennis, Anyone? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

French Tennis, Anyone?

hanabishi
10-30-2006, 05:15 AM
I was looking through this week's rankings and I was (pleasantly) surprised to notice that France has passed Spain in having the most players in the Top 100.

Countries with Most Players in the Top 100 (as of 30-Oct-2006)
France - 13
Spain - 12
Argentina - 8
United States - 8
Russia - 7

However, while those other countries (ESP, ARG, USA, RUS) have players in the Top 10 and grand slam champions, France has neither in terms of its current players. I think Noah was the last male French player to win a slam, but that was way back in the early 80s. Among the current batch of French players, only 2 have reached the Top 10 (Grosjean and Clement).

Obviously, France is a nation with a strong tennis program, for both male and female tennis players. The Davis and Fed Cup wins in recent years prove this (as well as Mauresmo's rise to the top in the WTA). But why hasn't France come up with a male top player in recent years, despite their obvious depth in talent? Is it simply a case of quality vs quantity, or is it something else?

The French have a lot of young guns in Gasquet and Monfils (also Moncourt and Tsonga, to a lesser extent). Will they eventually become slam champions?

guy in sf
10-31-2006, 02:10 AM
I really think that Gasquet will eventually reach the playing caliber required to win a grandslam. He's so young and so good that you just have to believe that's going to happen and I think it will.

ezekiel
10-31-2006, 02:16 AM
I think that frenchies are brainwashed to be too artistic when it comes to sports and thus all are chokers with no finnishing ability,. Gasquet has talent but he is a choker too and I'll be damned surprised if he ever wins something meaningful

Puschkin
10-31-2006, 06:09 AM
I think that frenchies are brainwashed to be too artistic when it comes to sports and thus all are chokers with no finnishing ability,. Gasquet has talent but he is a choker too and I'll be damned surprised if he ever wins something meaningful

You are joining GWH on my list of those I will force to "kneel and pray for forgiving" when it will finally happen. ;) ;)

Action Jackson
10-31-2006, 06:12 AM
You are joining GWH on my list of those I will force to "kneel and pray for forgiving" when it will finally happen. ;) ;)

Dreams are free and lets see if the glorified showpony wins a Slam. I am still sceptical about it and will be for some time.

silverwhite
10-31-2006, 06:15 AM

Add me to the list :yippee:

Puschkin
10-31-2006, 06:29 AM
done, :p, but be aware all of you: this is no joke. I have an elephant's memory. ;)

vincayou
10-31-2006, 06:54 AM

You are so pessimistic you wouldn't bet on him to win the Orleans challenger. :)

Action Jackson
10-31-2006, 06:56 AM
You are so pessimistic you wouldn't bet on him to win the Orleans challenger. :)

Not pessimistic enough, he would think he'd lose a Futures 10 event.

Action Jackson
10-31-2006, 07:17 AM
done, :p, but be aware all of you: this is no joke. I have an elephant's memory. ;)

As long as you are better looking than an elephant, then all is good.

C3PO
10-31-2006, 07:21 AM
French tennis is ok, both women and men teams are competitive. Gasquet or/and Monfils will probably win a big one soon or later... but of course it can always be better and Federer is not French.

bokehlicious
10-31-2006, 07:25 AM
Tennis is the second sport in France (soccer is first), so no surprise they are so much in world's top 100, congrats anyway, just too bad they lack men champions...

Puschkin
10-31-2006, 07:33 AM
so no surprise they are so much in world's top 100, congrats anyway, just too bad they lack men champions...

you want to join the list, too?;)

Jimnik
10-31-2006, 08:06 AM
How is Gasquet a choker? Every player - even Federer and Nadal - has their nervous moments early in their careers.

He's already reached two Masters Series finals and had to play Federer in both. I think there's a very good chance that he'll win a slam one day and he'll probably win the Davis Cup too, if he stays loyal. Him and Murray are the most likely future Wimbledon and US Open champions.

LocoPorElTenis
10-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Congrats to France, quantity and (in progress) quality :hatoff:

ezekiel
10-31-2006, 11:34 AM
they've always had quantity, it's just that real quality is hard to come by when you are predisposed to choking and don't know how to win . I see the same trait in Gasquet and Monfils so nothing has changed as of yet

TheMightyFed
10-31-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm sure Gasquet will win at least a slam, I think he can be the next Fed. He's so complete surface wise and stroke wise... He's like the messiah, we've been so disapointed with Pioline, Grosjean et al playing great but not winning slams. I'm confident about Gasquet. But the good thing I like in French tennis is that it's spectacular, usually aggressive tennis (cf. Mahut yesterday), there is a long and strong tradition, from Suzanne Lenglen to Noah, Leconte, even Santoro is quite entertaining with his shots. But merging talent with results is always tough, isn't it Mr Rog ? ;)

vincayou
10-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Our Federation gives better support to average players than most other nation (financially and with training facilities). This way, it allows our journeymen (those who swims between 100 and 500) to keep playing until they manage to make it to the next level.

In another country, a guy like Gicquel might have stopped tennis professionally for a while.

Thus, the quantity.

Spain is different, they have made clay their territory. Many of their challenger are on clay, etc... That way, many spaniard can make it to the top100. Once you are there, it's easier (financially).

guy in sf
10-31-2006, 10:14 PM
"when you are predisposed to choking and don't know how to win"

The french have a choking gene in their DNA?

Where did u get that fact ezekiel? Did you pull that out of our ass?