Gasquet or Murray: Who Will Have A Higher Ranking/Seeding For The Australian Open? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gasquet or Murray: Who Will Have A Higher Ranking/Seeding For The Australian Open?

Jaffas85
10-30-2006, 01:18 AM
Currently Andy Murray is ranked #19 and Richard Gasquet is ranked #20 and there is only 40 ranking points between them.

Which of these two players do you see doing better in TMS Paris as well as the warm up events to the Australian Open thus who will have the higher ranking and seeding at the Australian Open in January?

BTW, what tournaments are these two playing in before the Australian Open? The Sydney International? Doha?

Thanks.

Theoretically Gasquet could be in the Top 10 after the Australian Open as he has no points to defend there and could collect more points in Paris and warm up events before the Australian Open.

njnetswill
10-30-2006, 01:33 AM
Gasquet had an awful start to the season. He should be in top 15 going into the grass season.

As for the AO, I don't know. Prob won't change much from where they are now. I guess Gasquet will be ahead of Murray.

*Viva Chile*
10-30-2006, 01:53 AM
Muzza, but I hope Richie could claim a better position after Paris, of course that 2 will appear closely in rankings after Gasquet's victory of today ;)

lucashg
10-30-2006, 03:07 AM
It's hard to tell. I think Murray has shown more consistency in his results than Gasquet, and he apparently has an easier draw in Paris, but if Srichaphan plays as well as he did against Federer, Murray's in for some trouble. Richard went down early in every event following a good week from him (won Nottingham, l. R1 in Wimbledon / won Gstaad, l. R2 in Stuttgart / RU in Toronto, l. R1 in Cincinnati / won Lyon, ? ). Plus he's got Stan, Safin/Soderling, Blake/Haas, Berdych, etc.

But I hope Gasquet does it, he should do better in Doha/Adelaide/Chennai. I don't think Sydney's points count for the AO seeding system.

silverwhite
10-30-2006, 03:32 AM
I honestly don't care. After Gasquet's horrendous start to the year, who would have thought that he would have a good chance of being seeded at AO 07? :lol:

Boris Franz Ecker
10-30-2006, 06:14 AM
I honestly don't care. After Gasquet's horrendous start to the year, who would have thought that he would have a good chance of being seeded at AO 07? :lol:

32 players are seeded. That's a very good chance.

DrJules
10-30-2006, 06:26 AM
Murray probably by AO, but after that event Gasquet is almost certain to move ahead as he has almost nothing to defend until June.

vincayou
10-30-2006, 06:53 AM
Gasquet must have 100 points to defend until Nottingham. Next year hopefully, he won't miss the entire clay season (where he got most of his points in 2005).

Barring injury, he should hit top10 at some point.

Jaffas85
10-30-2006, 07:06 AM
Considering Gasquet has nothing to defend at TMS Paris, the Australian Open, Monte Carlo, Rome, Hamburg and barely anything to defend at the French Open you would think that by Wimbledon he would be hovering around 8 - 12 in the rankings and should get a good Wimbledon seeding.

Sunny_Boy
10-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Who knows? But top 10 for sure for Richard, hopefully by next year

revolution
10-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Richard.

stebs
10-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Close call. Either of them could go deep in Paris, they both have good indoor game but Gasquet has a potential Safin match fairly early.

neenah
10-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Close call. Either of them could go deep in Paris, they both have good indoor game but Gasquet has a potential Safin match fairly early.

But Gasquet did beat Marat last week, so he might do it again. Although Murray's draw does look slightly easier than Gasquet's it's hard to say who will have a higher ranking or seeding for AO. I would have to go with Gasquet, though.

Ernham
10-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Gasquet is so unpredictable, doing phenomenal one week and abysmal the next. Murray always seems to do well. Tough call. I think they are both on the "meat grinder" side of the Paris draw, too.

musefanatic
10-30-2006, 09:37 PM
I think it will be, ooh, this is really tough, maybe Andy, i think at the moment he is the more consistent player of the two, even if he has been knocked out early in the last few tournies and Gasquet has just won one but that doesn;t happen for him very often. I think Murray.

stebs
10-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Gasquet has had a very impressive second half of this year. If he can carry that into next year he should be close to or in the top 10 by Wimbledon.

Both players can pick up big points if given decent draws in the AO. Gasquet is the king of tough draws, he deserves a break.

richie21
10-30-2006, 10:09 PM
I think it will be, ooh, this is really tough, maybe Andy, i think at the moment he is the more consistent player of the two, even if he has been knocked out early in the last few tournies and Gasquet has just won one but that doesn;t happen for him very often. I think Murray.

well ,despite having missed nearly the whole clay season,Gasquet has won more titles than Murray this year (3 titles for Gasquet and only 1 for Murray)and he also made a MS final(only losing to Federer) contrary to Murray so i wouldn t say that he is less consistent than Murray :o

Jimnik
10-30-2006, 10:13 PM
I would love to see them both do well in Paris. It would be nice to see some decent players occupying the top 10.