Federer def. Srichaphan 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(5) to reach Basel final [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer def. Srichaphan 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(5) to reach Basel final

scarecrows
10-28-2006, 03:53 PM
:worship:

Adler
10-28-2006, 03:53 PM
who think he won because of the wrong call by the linesman? :)

RonE
10-28-2006, 03:54 PM
Come on rogi!!!!!! :bananaL:

+alonso
10-28-2006, 03:55 PM
what an awesome match!!! fed & para, simply great

para had the chance to pull this out, sadly at 5-5 the ball was called out while it wasn't! :o anyway, paradorn, trully enjoyed the match and congrats! he's the champ

Monsieur Aidan
Take the title home at home tmr ;)

scarecrows
the serve of Srichaphan at 5-5 in the TB looked good to me but, hey, Federer deserves a bit of advantage in home soil, no

+alonso
10-28-2006, 03:56 PM
oh and that one handed bh was simply great

RonE
There was absolutely nothing between the two players- PDorn was so so tough off his serve Rogi was just scurrying all over the court. To his credit Roger did find that extra gear yet again when he was down ion the tiebreak and what a way to win matchpoint! Brilliant stuff.

Kip
Roger gets is done! :cool: :worship:

gusman890
it deff helped at 5-5 in the breaker, i thought P-dorn's shot was good, but hey, i wanted federer to win :)

looked like he had a fever or something out there, he just didnt look good IMO

Ernham
Even though you are the last one to add this result, your title is the most accurate and cleanest looking.

AGAIN, Federer's backhand is repeatedly attacked and shown for its weakness in rallies.

NYCtennisfan
Good hitting by Fed throughout and by the Sri as well. he ws mixing up and placing his 1st serves really well.

I don't think there is any way Fed plays Paris as he looks out of gas. He wasn't running down some balls that he would ordinarily get to quite easily.

lordmanji
that's b.s. two of srichaphan's balls in the tiebreak looked in but was called out. then in roger's earlier match there was also a linecall in roger's favor where the umpire proceedingly went and winked at roger as if to say, "dont worry roger. if you're kicked out we cant sell tickets so we'll give you the critical line calls."

has there been any history of hometown event's linecalls favoring the local player??

Rogiman
Paris should be out of question right now :)

Ays25
10-28-2006, 03:57 PM
paradorn was robbed in the tb
after 5-3 federer was given 3 calls or non calls all wrong
and at 5-4 when paradorn hit an ace at first serve the linesman called out before the ball hit the ground.. idiot swiss cheese
+ at 5-5 paradorns shot was not out but it was called out
too bad for him

Trivial
10-28-2006, 03:57 PM

Not me for one...(they were close calls, could have gone either way) This is neutral Switzerland!

Kudos to Paradorn though who looked excellent thoughout the tournament and so nearlly knocked out the hometown boy... :worship:

Fed managed to pull through though with some great shots when it mattered in the tiebreak... looked a little tired today..not only in the way he played but facially.. However so did Mirka..must have been up all night talking :rolleyes: Roche will not be happy 'You only tackle the beast in between tournaments' ;)

zicofirol
10-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Srichapan choked in the end serving for it.

stebs
10-28-2006, 03:59 PM
What a tight match. In a way Srichaphan deserved to get the upset, possibly a few dodgy calls in favour of Roger. That big forehand at 4-2 down in the TB was such a huge moment, if he'd have shanked that it would almost certainly have been over. Excellent match point as well. I don't know how much Roger will have in the tank tomorrow, expect tears if he can win the title.

Allez
That's it. Roger must forget Paris. Well done in reaching the final though. Gonzo is going to be tough this time around.

Adler
has there been any history of hometown event's linecalls favoring the local player??
dunno mate, but I'd be interested in such thread

federated
damn, that was close. but I hope he still plays paris. when is shanghai? first week of dec?

joyk
10-28-2006, 04:00 PM
:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: Srichaphan :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:
You`ve got balls dude!

Ernham
10-28-2006, 04:01 PM
What a tight match. In a way Srichaphan deserved to get the upset, possibly a few dodgy calls in favour of Roger. That big forehand at 4-2 down in the TB was such a huge moment, if he'd have shanked that it would almost certainly have been over. Excellent match point as well. I don't know how much Roger will have in the tank tomorrow, expect tears if he can win the title.

Actually, I've been extremely impressed by the swiss lines people. There were half a dozen balls so questionably close to hitting the line that they never called out from Paradorn.

Naranoc
10-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Srichaphan absolutely played his butt off today; no sign of just handing it over to Federer. Kudos to him :hatoff:

As usual, Federer manages to pull it out the hat :), though it goes to show that steamrollering Zib doesn't mean you're going to cruise through the next few rounds.

DrJules
10-28-2006, 04:03 PM

Hawkeye is certainly going to spread to more tournaments to eliminate these question marks.

radics
10-28-2006, 04:04 PM
What an awsome expirience! :bowdown: Great quality match.

Roger said he and Paradorn would take now a shower together :haha: The crowd was laughing, because it sounded kinda gay the way he said it :lol:

Roger also said, Paradorn is one of hes favourite players on court, because hes always very fair. :yeah:

RonE
10-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Even though you are the last one to add this result, your title is the most accurate and cleanest looking.

AGAIN, Federer's backhand is repeatedly attacked and shown for its weakness in rallies.

Yes, the thing is Paradorn was dictating a lot of the play and Roger was standing quite a ways behind the baseline. The BH did have some flashes of solidity and brilliance every now and then but certainly on a fast indoor court if you can hit hard and deep to the Federer backhand and take away his time it is a bit of a liability.

PDorn's style of play is to hit flatter and deep shots and on this surface it really pays off. The spin Federer gets on his shots does not have as much impact on this type of court either as much as on other surfaces.

Add to that the fact that Roger must be feeling the strain and it explains why this match was oh so close.

Lunaris
10-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Great match, but it is very hard to beat Federer with good 1st serve%, not to mention without it.

Sjengster
10-28-2006, 04:06 PM
One of the best performances I've ever seen from Srichaphan, and certainly the best since his glory days of late 02/03. I thought he was playing well early on and more than matching Federer in the baseline rallies, and as we saw at the end of the second set all he needed to do was get deep into one Federer service game to make the breakthrough and turn the match into a real dogfight. I can't say I saw an egregiously bad home call in the TB (that crucial one at 5-5 wasn't 100% clear from the reply angle from either end), but one can't deny that the home player is going to get the benefit of the doubt in a situation as tight as that. Still, impressive that Federer could hang tough on the matchpoint and finish it off with a winner, even when one of his shots was called out by someone in the crowd midway through the rally. In fact I thought the crowd's outbursts actually hindered Federer more than Srichaphan, they came through well in the sportsmanship department since I didn't hear missed first serves from the Thai being cheered or anything.

Ome
10-28-2006, 04:06 PM
P'Ball :bowdown: :smoke:

:yeah: Congrats Roger ;)

lordmanji
10-28-2006, 04:07 PM
Hawkeye is certainly going to spread to more tournaments to eliminate these question marks.

i hope so. the smaller tournaments where there's only one or two big name draws like basel could certainly benefit from having hawkeye. that way everyone gets a fair shake. thank god the grand slams and masters events now use hawkeye. this basel event with its bad and biased calls and no means for recourse has made me appreciate hawkeye even more. :worship: :worship:

Deivid23
10-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Well robbed :hatoff:

stebs
10-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Federer didn't play badly but he was clearly feeling the pressure. Still able to play some big tennis at the big moments.

Sjengster
10-28-2006, 04:09 PM
What an awsome expirience! :bowdown: Great quality match.

Roger said he and Paradorn would take now a shower together :haha: The crowd was laughing, because it sounded kinda gay the way he said it :lol:

Roger also said, Paradorn is one of hes favourite players on court, because hes always very fair. :yeah:

We're talking about two fellow winners of the Edberg Sportmanship Award here, after all.

tennisgal_001
Srichaphan :hatoff:
Great match by both guys. Federer looks hammered out. He'd be crazy if he even thinks about playing Paris. Mirka should just handcuff him after tomorrow's final...

Chileno
Bad calls for both players...the only low point of the match.

stebs
10-28-2006, 04:10 PM
:lol: :p Shocking to see you say something like that. :lol:

DrJules
10-28-2006, 04:10 PM
In fact I thought the crowd's outbursts actually hindered Federer more than Srichaphan, they came through well in the sportsmanship department since I didn't hear missed first serves from the Thai being cheered or anything.

I do miss the days when crowds remained silent while the ball is in play.

stebs
10-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Roger's forehand was a fraction late for a lot of the final set. A clear sign that he is jaded, props to Paradorn for exploiting it though. Huge power play throughout by him.

Deivid23
10-28-2006, 04:12 PM
paradorn was robbed in the tb
after 5-3 federer was given 3 calls or non calls all wrong
and at 5-4 when paradorn hit an ace at first serve the linesman called out before the ball hit the ground.. idiot swiss cheese
+ at 5-5 paradorns shot was not out but it was called out
too bad for him

Forgot that sliced bh wide at mp Fed :angel:

DrJules
10-28-2006, 04:13 PM

Does television enable you to be so definative.

Deivid23
:lol: :p Shocking to see you say something like that. :lol:

I´m not saying anything here untrue, sorry

Yappa
Fed made some bad bh UEs at the end of the match, but played agressively when he needed to, especially at 5:4 in the TB. In that rally Paradorn didnt take many risks, while Federer hit the fh winner and earned his mp.

Guess that was the match of the tourney. Tomorrow awaits us another boring 3 sets (best of 5) win with at least one bagel.

Congrats Roger, but I am disappointed about Srichapans loss.

Metis
I was sorry Paradorn lost. He deserved a win over Feds this time the way he was playing. And the line calls... :rolleyes: No wonder Federer is not in favor of the challenge system :devil: He is one lucky bastard. :p On the other hand though I am glad he will be able to win his home title.

Bad Religion
10-28-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm tired of so many chokers in the ATP

Deivid23
Does television enable you to be so definative.

I got my own Hawkeye system on it

vahep
Even though Gonzalez has played even more than Roger recently, he looks far fresher. I don't know how Fed is gonna muster up the necessary juice to do this one more time.
If I was a gambler, I would put some serious dough on Fena tomorrow.
Oh, and if Fed plays Paris, he should immediately be put in a straightjacket.

RogiFan88
10-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Roger's forehand was a fraction late for a lot of the final set. A clear sign that he is jaded, props to Paradorn for exploiting it though. Huge power play throughout by him.

Rogi is NOT jaded -- perhaps you don't know what that word means... he's the opposite, more motivated than ever, to win Basel finally and continue his NO 1 status.

Yappa
10-28-2006, 04:17 PM
I was sorry Paradorn lost. He deserved a win over Feds this time the way he was playing. And the line calls... :rolleyes: No wonder Federer is not in favor of the challenge system :devil: He is one lucky bastard. :p On the other hand though I am glad he will be able to win his home title.

Yeah, I dont know about the line calls, but at least Srichapan won the "replay the point" ones, otherwise I'd be quite pissed.

Ah, and damn it Eurosport. I didnt pay attention for a few minutes and thus am missing 3 games in my recording because they switched from ES 2 to ES Int. :mad:

stebs
10-28-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm tired of so many chokers in the ATP

Who choked in this match then? :rolleyes:

I'm sick of this BS, everytime Federer wins a tight match the opponent choked. Big points came and Federer hit a few winners, sure Paradorn hit a few errors near the end of the match but what do you expect? Perfection from beggining to end? There was no choke in this match.

silverwhite
10-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Roger :worship:

Good match, Paradorn! A pity you couldn't close it out.

mickymouse
10-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Srichaphan was absolutely awesome and had Federer scurrying all over the place. Fed looked rather harassed and I wonder if it's the pressure of playing on home soil. If Gonzo played like Scrichaphan did today, he'd have a good chance of upsetting Fed.

Deivid23
10-28-2006, 04:19 PM
There was no choke in this match.

Norm indeed choked

stebs
Rogi is NOT jaded -- perhaps you don't know what that word means... he's the opposite, more motivated than ever, to win Basel finally and continue his NO 1 status.

Jaded is a synonym for tired as well as bored. I am using the first meaning. ;)

+alonso
I'm not saying linespeople wasn't fair to Srichaphan, What I'm saying is the ball at 5-5 it wasn't clearly out! from what I saw in the replay, It was in!

Heartbreaking loss for Paradorn!

RogiFan88
10-28-2006, 04:20 PM
That's it. Roger must forget Paris. Well done in reaching the final though. Gonzo is going to be tough this time around.

absolutely right, Fena will take advantage and as the defending champ, won't make it easy for Rogi who will have all the pressure to finally win his home tourney

well done to Paradorn for an excellent match! ;)

nobama
10-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Guess that was the match of the tourney. Tomorrow awaits us another boring 3 sets (best of 5) win with at least one bagel.:confused: Not sure what match you watched today. I don't expect tomorrow to be a great match but certainly no whitewash byFed (or Gonzo). My guess is it will come down to who that little bit fresher and can move better.

stebs
10-28-2006, 04:21 PM
Norm indeed choked

If there were any bad calls, which there may or may not have been, then Norm was not at fault. He made overrules when he was sure but most of the calls were 50-50, chances are some did go unfairly in favour of Federer but I don't think anyone knows whether some of those balls were in or not.

yanchr
10-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Paradorn a bit unlucky today...playing so well...

I don't know about tomorrow, which will be best of 5...I only hope Roger withdraws from Paris now.

Deivid23
10-28-2006, 04:23 PM
I don't think anyone knows whether some of those balls were in or not.

:lol:

helloworld40
10-28-2006, 04:24 PM
I think an accurate assessment of the entire match is that:

First Set: Roger had the clear upper hand as his service game was never challenged, while Paradorn's game was always close to jeapardy having to save several break points (many deuce points). Nevertheless it pointed to Federer's inability to break Paradorn.

From then on, Paradorn got progressively more confident in his service game, especially after winning 2nd set and there was nothing to differentiate both players.

In the last set, 10th game, at 5-4 to Roger, Paradorn was down match point, (40-30 I think) and served a great second serve to get to deuce.

Have to give Roger props for stepping it up at 4-2 down in tiebreak with the down the line forehand that wrongfooted Paradorn. But I'm disappointed that the match was decided by a questionable out call going against Paradorn positioning Roger to win. I demand hawkeye!!!!!!

Pdorn certainly matched up to Roger though -- for that I'm proud of my countryman. Hope his ranking does not plummet and he has more left in the tank next year.

I was wondering how you would assess Pdorn's return game? (especially those who has watched his earlier matches in this tournament).

Ernham
10-28-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm not saying linespeople wasn't fair to Srichaphan, What I'm saying is the ball at 5-5 it wasn't clearly out! from what I saw in the replay, It was in!

Heartbreaking loss for Paradorn!

Are you watching the matches STREAMING? Cause those feeds have garbage quality compared to real video or obviously being there in person. For every close call I saw for one player, there was corresponding close call for the other player.

Yappa
10-28-2006, 04:25 PM
:confused: Not sure what match you watched today. I don't expect tomorrow to be a great match but certainly no whitewash byFed (or Gonzo). My guess is it will come down to who that little bit fresher and can move better.

I am being pessimistic, that's all. :) Federer might as well kick Gonzos ass tomorrow. Gonzalez looked very fresh today, while ppl said yesterday that he looked wasted. The same could apply to Federer tomorrow.

About the line call thingie. Right now I remember one out call against Srichaphan which was clearly wrong. I dont know/rememeber how many wrong calls were against Federer, but it doesnt really matter. Federer showed more courage and thus merits the win.

martinatreue
10-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Jaded doesn't mean tired though. yes he looks tired.

Gulliver
10-28-2006, 04:28 PM
I wasn't surprised it was so close as Srichaphan played great against Acasuso, he knew what Federer was going through as he himself does in Bangkok, and Federer was so tight and nervous he took advantage of it. Just shows how this man, even with all his achievements, wants so desperately to win his home tournament. Tomorrow against Gonzalez he'll be a different player as his last win over him is fresh in his mind, and best of 5 allows for any temporary dip IMO.

landoud
10-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Great match from Paradron
well done Roger :)

Eden
10-28-2006, 04:41 PM
At least the tie-break was shorter than yesterday :p

:hatoff: to Paradorn for this match

:woohoo: Roger and good rest rest until tomorrow afternoon :)

NeverSayDie
10-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Paradorn played brilliantly. Some of the shots he pulled off were :eek: A great match from him but well done Fed :hatoff:

RonE
10-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Are you watching the matches STREAMING? Cause those feeds have garbage quality compared to real video or obviously being there in person. For every close call I saw for one player, there was corresponding close call for the other player.

I saw the streaming and in many points I could not see the ball so I had to rely solely on my ears to know if the ball was out or good.

njnetswill
10-28-2006, 04:50 PM
;) No wonder Roger doesn't support Shot Spot.

Great effort by P-dorn though! :worship:

musefanatic
10-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Amazing win Roger, such a close and gripping match all the way through. Credit to Paradorn, he was amazing in bursts, hope Roger can finally win this tomorrow :)

Corey Feldman
10-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Just give Fed the trophy now thankyou very much

Jack Sparrow
10-28-2006, 05:14 PM
great match...great paradorn and great roger...srichapan played great tennis,but in the tie break roger's talent came out!
tomorrow will be a tough match,because gonzo is in great shape!!!

LCeh
10-28-2006, 05:17 PM
I saw the streaming and in many points I could not see the ball so I had to rely solely on my ears to know if the ball was out or good.

Wow, you have trained your ears to the level of hearing the difference in sound produced by the ball hitting the paint or not to determine whether it's out or not? If you have ears like those, you don't need to see. ;)

tennisgal_001
10-28-2006, 05:23 PM
great match...great paradorn and great roger...srichapan played great tennis,but in the tie break roger's talent came out!
tomorrow will be a tough match,because gonzo is in great shape!!!

Gonzo is in awful shape, if not worse than Rog!!!

Corey Feldman
10-28-2006, 05:23 PM
RonE has bat ears

*Ljubica*
10-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed the match - Paradorn played very well and his sportsmanship and attitude was a credit to him as usual. Roger found a way to win eventually - but - he did look tired :hug: I really do think he needs to pull out of Paris.

And something Sjengster bought up earlier - the crowd were awesome :worship: Lots of support for their man which is to be expected, - but even in the final stages of the 3rd set and during the tie-break, you never heard a jeer or cheer when Paradorn served a 1st serve fault - and none of his double faults were applauded. The Swiss crowd are good sports and know how to enjoy themselves and cheer on their man without any of the shameful stuff we saw last week in Madrid for example :rolleyes: Kudos to them. And I hope Roger wins tomorrow - he wants it so much.

Corey Feldman
10-28-2006, 05:37 PM
swiss/british fans = humans.
spanish fans = monkeys.

*Ljubica*
10-28-2006, 05:39 PM
spanish fans = monkeys.

:haha: I'm sure glad you said that and not me :tape:

nobama
10-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Just give Fed the trophy now thankyou very much
Hush up would you. And your wrong about Paris. Why would you want to see more of today and an early exit ala Cincy? :shrug:

Corey Feldman
10-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Hush up would you. And your wrong about Paris. Why would you want to see more of today and an early exit ala Cincy? :shrug:you are such a Fedtard :angel:
so everything about cincy was him being tired and Muzza did eff all? at the time i remember you telling ppl Fed said he wasnt tired.

rogi said himself he has won plenty of matches when below his best and ended up going on to win the tournaments - in cincinnati he didnt.

until the MAN HIMSELF says otherwise, i dont give a flying toss what all you experts here at MTF say and command him to do.

neenah
10-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Good luck in the final :D

Seraphim
10-28-2006, 06:54 PM
I´m not saying anything here untrue, sorry

Your also not saying anything true. So there's no need to be sorry. It's just your opinion.

Seraphim
10-28-2006, 06:57 PM
you are such a Fedtard :angel:
so everything about cincy was him being tired and Muzza did eff all? at the time i remember you telling ppl Fed said he wasnt tired.

rogi said himself he has won plenty of matches when below his best and ended up going on to win the tournaments - in cincinnati he didnt.

until the MAN HIMSELF says otherwise, i dont give a flying toss what all you experts here at MTF say and command him to do.

I agree.

DrJules
10-28-2006, 07:09 PM
spanish fans = monkeys.

Have you had bad experiences with monkeys or something against monkeys.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fedex
10-28-2006, 08:33 PM
:lol:

DhammaTiger
10-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Well done Khun Paradorn :worship:at least he gave a hard time to federer in front of his home fans. To take a set of federer and to push him to a tie breaker was excellent.Keep it up Khun P'Ball:hatoff:

Conita
10-28-2006, 08:44 PM
What an amazing effort by Paradorn :worship:
he's still hte coolest guy out there :cool:
Shame on the result i really thought that tie break was his
damn federer!!!!!
lol

but well done Paradorn
i sure hope u can get him next time ;)

WF4EVER
10-28-2006, 08:53 PM
Paradorn really gave Roger a run for his money today. Although he wasn't playing anywhere near his best, he seemed agitated and he was making some easy errors and making some poor shot selections IMO, Rogi still managed to win and that's about all that counts to me.

I found some of the calls quite close and wish Hawkeye was there to eliminate any doubts. So that some asholes wouldn't come in here and complain their asses off (in vain).

Roger's clearly up against it tomorrow; he's obviously a bit weather worn but in my mind he has only one more match to play and that's tomorrow's final. To hell with Paris. Roger has nothing to benefit from playing Paris. He needs to get properly rested in prep for Shanghai.

WF4EVER
10-28-2006, 09:07 PM
I find it so funny when people say P'dorn deserved to win over a subpar Roger. That, in my mind, is ridiculous. A deserved win should be one when you've met the other player playing well but you outplay him to earn that win.

Frankly in their last two matches he has played a subpar Roger, in the first round of Cincy (?) and here. Paradorn played great, as well as I've ever seen him play but unlike him Federer has been there and done that before so he knows how to handle the pressure more often than not.

Seldom does Roger play as badly as he did today unless he's tired, sick or lacking matchplay. Too bad for P'dorn but Roger isn't No. 1 in the world for nothing.

This match reminded me very much of the Rome SF Roger played against Nalby. If he manages to win I expect it will be an ugly match from both, but if he loses I wouldn't be surprised. Gonzo is playing well and he has Rogi right where he wants him. This may be Roger's home court but I think that's more a minus than a plus for him tomorrow, all things considered. Hope I'm wrong, tho, and he is even more motivated considering the missed opportunities of the past.

nobama
10-28-2006, 10:18 PM
you are such a Fedtard :angel:

until the MAN HIMSELF says otherwise, i dont give a flying toss what all you experts here at MTF say and command him to do.I didn't say the result in Cincy was because of fatigue. All I'm saying is there is more of a chance that the result will be the same in Paris - an early exit with him playing shitty tennis along the way. The guy's in his 15th final of the year, already rapped up #1 and already qualified for Shanghai. What's the point of playing Paris when it's plainly clear the guy is exhausted? Paris will still be there next year. I can understand for guys who are still trying to qualify for Shanghai or improve their ranking to get a better seed at AO. I'm not commanding Fed to do anything, but I do think if he plays Paris he needs to see a shrink.

GlennMirnyi
10-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Of course Federer lost in Cincinatti because of fatigue. Even Stevie Wonder can see that.

WF4EVER
10-28-2006, 10:30 PM
I didn't say the result in Cincy was because of fatigue. All I'm saying is there is more of a chance that the result will be the same in Paris - an early exit with him playing shitty tennis along the way. The guy's in his 15th final of the year, already rapped up #1 and already qualified for Shanghai. What's the point of playing Paris when it's plainly clear the guy is exhausted? Paris will still be there next year. I can understand for guys who are still trying to qualify for Shanghai or improve their ranking to get a better seed at AO. I'm not commanding Fed to do anything, but I do think if he plays Paris he needs to see a shrink.

If he goes, and I expect he will because he feels obligated to do so, I hope he's summarily dismissed in his first match and can then go home and rest.

I don't think he wants to play at all but he's being pressured to.

I love him but I hope he loses first round and leaves immediately.

Nicky2002
10-28-2006, 10:44 PM

i actually still think that. roger is a great play but he definitely had plenty of luck from those calls.

rosamunda
10-28-2006, 11:26 PM

I'm a long time lurker, but feel I have to comment about the line calls. I watched the match on a proper, good quality, large screen TV. There were numerous calls thoughout the match that I thought were decidedly iffy, and went against both players pretty evenly, sometimes at quite crucial moments. Indeed, Federer, rather uncharacteristially, got a bit stroppy with the umpire at one point because he felt so strongly about one of them (I know he wants to win this one badly, but still unlike him to engage in dissent).

For what it's worth, I saw the two vital calls towards the end of the tie break as correct......just....and, because of all this discussion, I've looked at them again several times, and they're still out......just.:). My re-watching also confirmed for me just how many close calls there were over the entire match, some of which changed the momentum of the thing at different stages. Roger said he was lucky. If Paradorn had won, I think he'd have said the same thing.

deliveryman
10-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Does anyone know what the total points won were for both players?

Corey Feldman
10-29-2006, 12:37 AM
how many ACES for fed today and this week?

new-york
10-29-2006, 12:39 AM
Para. :sobbing: could have been a tremendous win.

Corey Feldman
10-29-2006, 12:41 AM
Have you had bad experiences with monkeysor something against monkeys.:lol: :lol: :lol:yes :awww:

Yappa
10-29-2006, 12:43 AM

For today I dont know but I think more than yesterday.

IIRC he hit the following amount of aces in the previous rounds:

R1: 10 aces, R2: 4, QF: 2, SF: ?

Doctor Dance
Paradorn played really well, hope he can carry over this form next season :worship:

Sjengster

He served only 2 against Ferrer and I believe only had about 3 today up till midway through the third set, but then he started hitting the spots with regularity on the serve (3 in a row at 4-4, I believe). So, maybe a little under 10.

Corey Feldman
10-29-2006, 12:45 AM
I didn't say the result in Cincy was because of fatigue. All I'm saying is there is more of a chance that the result will be the same in Paris - an early exit with him playing shitty tennis along the way. The guy's in his 15th final of the year, already rapped up #1 and already qualified for Shanghai. What's the point of playing Paris when it's plainly clear the guy is exhausted? Paris will still be there next year. I can understand for guys who are still trying to qualify for Shanghai or improve their ranking to get a better seed at AO. I'm not commanding Fed to do anything, but I do think if he plays Paris he needs to see a shrink.Maybe he wants to play because he's missed it the last 2 years.

the players love this tournament.
he can use it as practise for the TMC, do some serve volleying.

and the BYE and draw helps.

Corey Feldman
10-29-2006, 12:47 AM
btw, i still expect him to WD from paris anyway.. so some of you can breathe again :p...

cheers for the stats Four:Love and Sjeng.

Doctor Dance
10-29-2006, 12:49 AM
Roger's clearly up against it tomorrow; he's obviously a bit weather worn but in my mind he has only one more match to play and that's tomorrow's final.

Yes he is, against a guy who he is 8-0 (or is it 9-0) against :rolleyes:

He could play on one leg and still beat gonzo (nothing against gonzo), so stop with the pessimism :rolleyes:

disturb3d
10-29-2006, 02:02 AM
I haven't seen Roger move this poorly since 2003. It's obvious he's saving energy for Paris.

Metis
10-29-2006, 02:11 AM

Who said Roger is tired? :p

I bet Nadal now is text-messaging Roger like crazy: "You very bad Roger, very bad!"

TennisGrandSlam
10-29-2006, 04:02 AM
Only for result, Roger is not very poor!

Federer - 19UE 60 winners
Srichaphan - 19UE 69 winners

Seldom Federer has less winners than the opponents. :devil:

But don't forget that Federer had more winners than (also the CP) Nadal but still lost the AMS Rome final. :o

Johnny Groove
10-29-2006, 04:08 AM
Sricha too? Roger is such a slut man-whore :o

atheneglaukopis
10-29-2006, 04:16 AM
Who said Roger is tired? :p

I bet Nadal now is text-messaging Roger like crazy: "You very bad Roger, very bad!":haha: *dies* I can't goodrep you!

mandoura
10-29-2006, 05:28 AM
:woohoo: Roger.

:worship: Paradorn. Excellent match.

jayjay
10-29-2006, 05:30 AM
spanish fans = monkeys.

What an extraordinary thing to say.

helloworld40
10-29-2006, 05:50 AM
I'm a long time lurker, but feel I have to comment about the line calls. I watched the match on a proper, good quality, large screen TV. There were numerous calls thoughout the match that I thought were decidedly iffy, and went against both players pretty evenly, sometimes at quite crucial moments. Indeed, Federer, rather uncharacteristially, got a bit stroppy with the umpire at one point because he felt so strongly about one of them (I know he wants to win this one badly, but still unlike him to engage in dissent).

For what it's worth, I saw the two vital calls towards the end of the tie break as correct......just....and, because of all this discussion, I've looked at them again several times, and they're still out......just.:). My re-watching also confirmed for me just how many close calls there were over the entire match, some of which changed the momentum of the thing at different stages. Roger said he was lucky. If Paradorn had won, I think he'd have said the same thing.

Heh Rosa, I went back and re-watched the recorded match, and I agree with your assessment about the numerous close callls through out the match, especially in the tie-break ... oh well

btw, in response to another poster, "deserving to win" can be interpretted in the opposite sense from your definition, i.e. that X deserved to win over Y because Y was playing subpar. In this case I think Paradorn (X) had a fair chance to beat a subpar Federer (Y), taking a set and going the distance, with 2 points to a monumental upset.

Good luck with all the players for the remaining tournies. Would love to see Gonzo take it to Federer tomorrow. I like cheering for the underdog :)

mandoura
10-29-2006, 06:01 AM

Yes, you're right. :)

Mrs. B
10-29-2006, 06:27 AM
great match and kudos to the Thai for a brilliant play and Roger was lucky. :)

Paradorn got a big applause yesterday and a standing ovation from the crowd after the match. on his way out, after he waved to the audience, he turned back to Roger's direction and did the traditional Thai bow. :worship:

Good luck, Roger, today, and please bring the bacon home this time. :bounce:

mandoura
10-29-2006, 06:42 AM
great match and kudos to the Thai for a brilliant play and Roger was lucky. :)

Paradorn got a big applause yesterday and a standing ovation from the crowd after the match. on his way out, after he waved to the audience, he turned back to Roger's direction and did the traditional Thai bow. :worship:

Yes and I was very happy for him. He deserves every bit of it. He is really a very decent person, always polite and pleasant. And the Swiss crowd is such a decent one too, very civilised and sporty. :)

Mrs. B
10-29-2006, 06:54 AM
the Swiss are fair, but when they clap out of nowhere or between points or before a serve to push him on, i think it gives him more pressure! :lol:

Action Jackson
10-29-2006, 06:59 AM
Norm indeed choked

If Norm was in the chair then bad calls are as common as sand in the Sahara desert.

Seriously, it's good to see the Srich push Federer and sadly for him he couldn't close the deal and it looks like Federer will finally win his hometown title.

RonE
10-29-2006, 07:13 AM

He is not playing Rafa in the final is he? :rolls:

Mrs. B
10-29-2006, 07:17 AM
i knew you would say something like this, Ron! :lol:

Vut
10-29-2006, 07:26 AM
great match! Paradorn deserve to win but :sad:...
congrats to Roger

yanchr
10-29-2006, 07:27 AM
the Swiss are fair, but when they clap out of nowhere or between points or before a serve to push him on, i think it gives him more pressure! :lol:
Is it you :lol: ;)

Dexter_1986
10-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Good match Paradorn :hug: :yeah:
Congrats Roger :smoke: best of luck in the final!

Deivid23
10-29-2006, 08:55 AM
spanish fans = monkeys.

I would have never expected that from a polite and classy Brit lady :eek:

Ernham
10-29-2006, 12:28 PM
I would have never expected that from a polite and classy Brit lady :eek:

Not to mention I recall them cheering when Haas was double-faulting against Berdych in Wilmbeldon. Seems to be a case of selective memory. To the Spanish fans credits, Haas never did anything to incite them, unlike Berdych, and Berdych was by no means British. Doubly despicable.

Oriental_Rain
10-29-2006, 12:35 PM
so close :eek:

Daniel
10-29-2006, 09:46 PM
:yeah:

iqiqiq
10-30-2006, 05:13 AM
Paradorn Srichaphan Top Player of the world

TennisGrandSlam
10-30-2006, 05:15 AM
well done for both