Drama in Notts Challenger Final - Pless vs Waske [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Drama in Notts Challenger Final - Pless vs Waske

adk
10-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Just got back from today's final.

I arrived at the end of the 1st set, so not sure about the score there. But WASKE WON IN 2 SETS (6-3 in the 2nd).

Anyway, there was a bit of drama... basically, all through the match, Waske was taking about 30 seconds between points to serve. Waske would regularly be bouncing the ball, about to serve, and then stop, and walk to the back wall to compose himself again. After every point that Waske won on serve, he walked all the way to the net to collect the same ball that he had won the point with. And, Pless was moving around like usual ready to return serve, and for some unknown reason, Waske kept walking to the umpire to complain about this (no one can work out why). So basically, Pless was fucking pissed off throughout the match. He wasn't allowed to get into any sort of rhythm at all.

At the end of the match, Waske went to shake Pless's hand, and Pless completely ignored him and sat down in his chair. Waske went over to see why he didn't shake his hand, and Pless said, "FUCK OFF, FUCK OFF. You're a fucking joke. Why should I shake your hand. You're a fucking cheat. Fuck off".

Waske collected his prize money amidst boos and jeers from the 10-15 spectators.

*Ljubica*
10-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Just got back from today's final.

I arrived at the end of the 1st set, so not sure about the score there. But WASKE WON IN 2 SETS (6-3 in the 2nd).

Anyway, there was a bit of drama... basically, all through the match, Waske was taking about 30 seconds between points to serve. Waske would regularly be bouncing the ball, about to serve, and then stop, and walk to the back wall to compose himself again. After every point that Waske won on serve, he walked all the way to the net to collect the same ball that he had won the point with. And, Pless was moving around like usual ready to return serve, and for some unknown reason, Waske kept walking to the umpire to complain about this (no one can work out why). So basically, Pless was fucking pissed off throughout the match. He wasn't allowed to get into any sort of rhythm at all.

At the end of the match, Waske went to shake Pless's hand, and Pless completely ignored him and sat down in his chair. Waske went over to see why he didn't shake his hand, and Pless said, "FUCK OFF, FUCK OFF. You're a fucking joke. Why should I shake your hand. You're a fucking cheat. Fuck off".

Waske collected his prize money amidst boos and jeers from the 10-15 spectators.

Waske is always like that :rolleyes: Thanks for the report.

Neely
10-28-2006, 12:53 PM
hahaha :haha:
thanks for the report, sounds like good entertainment! :yeah:

About Waske, he doesn't mind pissing off some opponents and doing his own thing. If there is a tension on the court or a looming psychological battle, Waske won't refuse it or back down like a chicken. Maybe there was something which really irritated him and which you couldn't make out, maybe there not and it was just show.

If he took too much time (if it really was 30 seconds or above), then bad job of the umpire. And I hope the ballkids detected this manner of Waske that he often always wants the same ball to serve again if he won the point. This can speed it up also.

And if Pless said what you wrote, it's a very bad and unsporting reaction, too. If Waske didn't insult Pless, I would rate such words even worse than taking a bit more time between the points than you are allowed to.

Action Jackson
10-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Great stuff, and good to Waske showing his fine form.

He and Koellerer would be a great match.

Neely
10-28-2006, 12:58 PM
He and Koellerer would be a great match.
I think they played this year (or was it last year already?) and Waske said it was the ugliest match he was ever part of. And he said they both did bad things and he thinks that Koellerer is a very very very bad guy, the worst of the tour (I think he used a different word, but I'm not sure anymore, so I want to refrain from trying to reproduce the original word)

Action Jackson
10-28-2006, 01:01 PM
I think they played this year (or was it last year already?) and Waske said it was the ugliest match he was ever part of. And he said they both did bad things and he thinks that Koellerer is a very very very bad guy, the worst of the tour (I think he used a different word, but I'm not sure anymore, so I want to refrain from trying to reproduce the original word)

They shouldn't have umpires for this match, it'd be a waste of time.

Yappa
10-28-2006, 01:02 PM
First of all: congrats to Alex! :yeah:

Haha, hilarious. :lol:
Well, either you love Waske or you hate him for his behaviour. :) He's very emotional and that's why he's so important for the DC team.
Like Kiefer, if he made a point in the previous rally, he wants to have exactly the same ball.

Neely
10-28-2006, 01:07 PM
They shouldn't have umpires for this match, it'd be a waste of time.
From this telling, if there was a strict, courageous and brave ref to make the calls and who consequently applied the rules, penalties and code of conduct, I think it would have been less a question of who is winning a best-of-three match rather than who is going to be disqualified first or who survives longer.

Deathless Mortal
10-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Waske wants to be Nadal.

Action Jackson
10-28-2006, 01:12 PM
From this telling, if there was a strict, courageous and brave ref to make the calls and who consequently applied the rules, penalties and code of conduct, I think it would have been less a question of who is winning a best-of-three match rather than who is going to be disqualified first or who survives longer.

Waske is a total prick on court, but he might be alright off court, though I don't know about that.

At the same time at least there is some form of entertainment and maybe Mr Disney should give him WCs to all the RR events. He is the cheaper version of Koellerer, but entertaining in his own way.

Björki
10-28-2006, 02:02 PM
Alex :lol: congrats anyway.