One Slam Wonders. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

One Slam Wonders.

Lleyton, Marat
10-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Thomas Johanson, Tony Roche, Thomas Muster. Are there more? Why have these players only ever won one Slam.

Tennis Fool
10-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Thomas Johanson, Tony Roche, Thomas Muster. Are there more? Too many to name.
Why have these players only ever won one Slam.
Who was their competition?

KaxMisha
10-27-2006, 11:22 PM
Thomas Johanson, Tony Roche, Thomas Muster. Are there more? Why have these players only ever won one Slam.

Are there more? Are you kidding?

CmonAussie
10-27-2006, 11:25 PM
:wavey:
Since you`re Aussie I`ll forgive you:cool:
## This thread of yours is likely to attract a lot of abuse~>>
1. You haven`t done your research:eek:
2. The question is overly simple:rolleyes:
3. The examples you gave [esp. Tony Roche] were not good ones:p

Try looking up the stats page & you`ll find few dozen or so one slam wonders... Why haven`t they won more~... why haven`t most players won any:confused: Why are there 24-hours in a day:confused: Why did the dinosaurs become extinct:confused: What was so bad about Adam & Eve eating an apple~> can`t we eat fruit:confused: Why does global warming occur:sad: ... Why is your name Lleyton-Marat & mine CmonAussie:confused: ... Why do Australians speak English:confused: ..... If you did a little more research all these great mysteries might become a little clearer;)

PS. Are you intentionally trying to come across as naive or are you so young that you haven`t put 2 & 2 together yet:confused:

That tennis kid
10-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Full list may be found here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_tennis_players_with_most_singles_major_champi onship_wins).

Why? Some were "lucky" to win one slam, brutal truth most of the players who won one grand slam weren't good enough to win more.

R.Federer
10-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Winders?
Is that a mix of Grinders and Wonders? :)
It sounds uncomfortably close to One Slam Whiners

CmonAussie
10-27-2006, 11:34 PM
Winders?
Is that a mix of Grinders and Wonders? :)
It sounds uncomfortably close to One Slam Whiners
Another reason I believe Lleyton-Marat may be taking the piss & just making a thread to see what kind of a reaction he gets:eek:

Ernham
10-27-2006, 11:35 PM
Full list may be found here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_tennis_players_with_most_singles_major_champi onship_wins).

Why? Some were "lucky" to win one slam, brutal truth most of the players who won one grand slam weren't good enough to win more.

Well, Muster jumped right out at me that doesn't quite fit that description. But ya, that's probably true for 90% of em.

Lleyton, Marat
10-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Another reason I believe Lleyton-Marat may be taking the piss & just making a thread to see what kind of a reaction he gets:eek:

1. It was a typo.
2. I am female.

CmonAussie
10-27-2006, 11:41 PM
1. It was a typo.
2. I am female.
:sad: ...Well I`m sorry for jumping to conclusions... Anyway is it so hard to look up some stats:confused: Have you never heard of wikipedia or the atp site:confused: Even menstennisforums has an extensive stats database:cool: ... All I`m saying is on MTF if you come across as naive the arrogant older folk will burn you:devil:

Lleyton, Marat
10-27-2006, 11:43 PM
:sad: ...Well I`m sorry for jumping to conclusions... Anyway is it so hard to look up some stats:confused: Have you never heard of wikipedia or the atp site:confused: Even menstennisforums has an extensive stats database:cool: ... All I`m saying is on MTF if you come across as naive the arrogant older folk will burn you:devil:

Well I didn't really intend to ask who were, but rather why they were.

Ernham
10-27-2006, 11:48 PM
1. It was a typo.
2. I am female.

In any event, the answer to your question is: 95% of them were lucky, while 5% of them were unlucky(Muster, Chang, debatably Roddick).

CmonAussie
10-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Well I didn't really intend to ask who were, but rather why they were.
:confused:
Again that question is far too open:eek: ... If you want to get intelligent responses then you`re better narrowing down the question... for example~>> why did Tony Roche only ever win one slam:confused: ... If we include all the one slam wonders then every player has totally different circumstances;) ..

In a nutshell: Tony Roche had the potential to win several other slams but he played in an era with some tough opponents.. Laver, Newcombe, Rosewall, Ashe:worship: ..Also Roche was a bit of a choker in slam finals:sad:

Muster could have won a couple more French Opens but several things happened in his career~> he was in a car accident in 1989 & by the time he had hit peak form again in the mid 1990s his time frame to win French Opens had narrowed significantly.. I believe he was 26 or 27 when he had his breakthrough win in 1995

Thomas Johansson was never expected to win any slams;) .. The fact that he won one slam is a credit to the fact that he was a smart opportunist:p .. At AO in 2002 most of the big names lost early & Safin was the only one left,.. however Marat had his harem of beauties keeping him up at night.. Also Safin had to pley 3 or 4 tough 5-set matches to reach the final... Hence he was toast for the fit & eager Johansson in the final;)

NYCtennisfan
10-28-2006, 01:06 AM
The term One Slam Wonder is always interesting to dissect since there are the true One Slam Wonders where they have one good Slam run and then there are others who only won one slam but did really well in lots of other slams.

MisterQ
10-28-2006, 01:15 AM
These are the only Open Era one-slam wonders who also lost in 3 GS finals.

Chang
Roddick
Ivanisevic

No man in the Open Era has won just one major but lost in 4 or more GS finals.

NYCtennisfan
10-28-2006, 01:22 AM

Chang
Roddick
Ivanisevic

I was JUST about to post that Mister Q. :worship:

MisterQ
10-28-2006, 01:31 AM
I was JUST about to post that Mister Q. :worship:

:eek: What an honor to have outstatted the stat master! :cool:

bpt7
10-28-2006, 01:46 AM
Thomas Johanson, Tony Roche, Thomas Muster. Are there more? Why have these players only ever won one Slam. how can u miss Gaudio?? lol

MarieS
10-28-2006, 01:51 AM
:scratch:

ezekiel
10-28-2006, 02:35 AM

Chang
Roddick
Ivanisevic

I am guessing Roddick will prove doubters wrong and play more finals and lose

KaxMisha
10-28-2006, 02:36 AM

Chang
Roddick
Ivanisevic

After Wimbledon of 2007, Roddick will have accomplished this feat. Who said Federer is getting all the records? ;)

gigipp7
10-28-2006, 03:24 AM
Why have these players only ever won one Slam.

well i have to say, it's a pretty silly question
you should rather ask why there're so many players can not win even one title in their whole career
LOL

Winston's Human
10-28-2006, 04:32 AM

Chang
Roddick
Ivanisevic

Looking at these three one-slam winners, you can attribute it to the quality of the competition. Each man lost their other slam finals to better players who are or probably will be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Chang lost finals to Becker, Sampras and Muster (on clay).
Ivanisevic lost two finals to Sampras and one final to Agassi.
Roddick lost all three finals to Federer.

Eden
11-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Andres Gomez belongs here as well

R.Federer
11-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Costa, Krajicek
I don't think they surfaced in other slam finals

Jlee
11-22-2006, 08:08 PM

Chang
Roddick
Ivanisevic

Roddick likely to break that record by losing at least one more GS final.

Hopefully by winning one...

Eden
11-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Unfortunately Michael Stich only managed to win "just" one Grand Slam title. He lost to Agassi at the US Open and to Kafelnikov at Roland Garros in two other finals.

Fedex
11-22-2006, 08:13 PM
After Wimbledon of 2007, Roddick will have accomplished this feat. Who said Federer is getting all the records? ;)
:lol: :rolls: