Federer def. Ferrer 6:3 7:6(14) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer def. Ferrer 6:3 7:6(14)

Adler
10-27-2006, 05:42 PM
anyone doubted he'll win this one? ;)

anyway, nice performance by Ferrer. Roger got sleepy in the middle of 2nd set, David took advantage of it and also made Federer running in TB

ezekiel
10-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Ferrer just deconstructed but hey Fed must be tired

RonE
10-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Very tight tie break in the second set but Roger just held on and played really well to save the set points against him.

The Federer Express rolls on :banana:

Kip
10-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Roger gets it done! :cool:

Trivial
10-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Good display by Ferrer, the second set tiebreak was great to watch, but as we have come to expect, Roger was the one who held his nerve. Good win by the Fedbot!

KaxMisha
What the hell was Federer up to? Seriusly, I don't get it. He showed how he could play (and has played earlier this week) on Ferrer's set points, but apart from those, he basically sucked. What's up with that?

Ernham
Jebus, that was a crazy tie break. And just when you thought you could write off Federer's backhand as no longer a liability...:devil:

scoobs
10-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Well played David Ferrer - he made Federer really have to earn that second set - and the tiebreak. Not sure my nerves could have stood that much longer, 16-14 was bad enough :)

Rogi - two more to go, keep it going Maestro :)

nobama
10-27-2006, 05:46 PM
Congrats, Roger! Good fight, David! :)

I'm just waiting for the yawn, boring, is this thread really necessary posts. :lol:

Voo de Mar
10-27-2006, 05:48 PM
16-14 is the longest tie-break in Ferrer's career. He played three tie-breaks with score 11-9 (1 won, 2 lost) in the past...
How many set points Federer saved? Probably 7.

Byrd
10-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Feds backhand kind of broke down in the tiebreak, but before that he was playing some excellent shots. Ferrer played with alot of heart though, so he deserves some credit.

Byrd
10-27-2006, 05:49 PM
16-14 is the longest tie-break in Ferrer's career. He played three tie-breaks with score 11-9 (1 won, 2 lost) in the past...
How many set points Federer saved? Probably 7.

Feds highest is 20-18 against safin TMC

nobama
What the hell was Federer up to? Seriusly, I don't get it. He showed how he could play (and has played earlier this week) on Ferrer's set points, but apart from those, he basically sucked. What's up with that?Um, maybe he's not a robot. Maybe he has off days. Maybe he's tired. Maybe Ferrer is a much better player than his two previous opponents?

RonE
The pendulum was swinging wildly in that 2nd set tie break. Even though Roger made it difficult for himself getting broken back at 4-3 in the 2nd set you have to give credit to Ferrer who just kept plugging away. And all those set points Roger saved in the tiebreak- he played really high class stuff to keep himself in that tie break.

Whew what a rollercoaster tiebreak! Not quite as draining as the Federer-Safin 2nd set TB in 2004 TMC but bad enough :)

KaxMisha

That's also tied for the longest ever.

t0x
10-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Fed went to sleep in that second set...

To his credit though, he saved every set point with a winner (and I think one forced error from a slice). His serve and backhand were non-existant in that TB.

Good play from Ferrer today too. He just went for it and troubled Fed at times

Corey Feldman
10-27-2006, 05:50 PM
looks like a bit of tiredness is kicking in...
how else did he not manage to beat Ferrer 6-0 6-0 here, today?
:(

KaxMisha
10-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Um, maybe he's not a robot. Maybe he has off days. Maybe he's tired. Maybe Ferrer is a much better player than his two previous opponents?

Much better, but in terms of match-up, pretty much the same. Before this match, Ferrer had never taken more than five games in one match off of Federer in four matches, so that argument kind of falls right there. As for the off days - yeah, I guess, but it's not just that he played pretty poorly: it's also that he didn't play his usual tennis. He basically waited for Ferrer to miss all the time (except on those set points and a few other nice points) and I don't understand why. It makes no sense.

scarecrows
10-27-2006, 05:52 PM
much more games than expected for Ferrer

RonE
10-27-2006, 05:53 PM
What the hell was Federer up to? Seriusly, I don't get it. He showed how he could play (and has played earlier this week) on Ferrer's set points, but apart from those, he basically sucked. What's up with that?

1. Give some credit to Ferrer- he is a very feisty and gritty competitor and very very tough to put away.

2. Roger cannot play superhuman tennis in every single match he plays. He is bound to be off every now and then, have some tight victories, even (shock!) lose every now and then.

3. This is the 8th match Roger has played in 10 days- he might have been going on economy mode to save himself for the (potential) matches ahead still remaining.

stebs
10-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Ferrer played fantastic for most of the match. It shows real heart to still believe you can win even when down a set and a break, especially considering there was a time when Federer won 23 straight points on serve. Ferrer played his heart out but not quite enough.

jacobhiggins
Federer gets through a tough match and played some nice shots in spots.

I do gotta say, it looks like playing all these tournaments are catching up with him.

He is looking very thin and very tired. It's to be expected but I don't know how much more he can go with the way his body is. Maybe he's just looking rough and he's tired but you can tell just by looking at the match he is thinner then usual!

Byrd
to be honest he should of closed the match at 4-2 in the second set, but started to lose concentration, thats when the mishits started happening.

LaTenista
looks like a bit of tiredness is kicking in...
how else did he not manage to beat Ferrer 6-0 6-0 here, today?
:(

:rolleyes: Federer has never bagelled Ferrer. :ras:

thiaela
10-27-2006, 05:55 PM
To see coming

yanchr
10-27-2006, 05:56 PM
And just when you thought you could write off Federer's backhand as no longer a liability...:devil:
:lol: yes, true :p

Anyway, congrats Roger winning in straights! Still two to go...

Ernham
Meh. I don't think tiredness has anything to do with it. His backhand is still the chink in his armor, in combination with Ferrer playing some great tennis, especially for a clay-courter.

LaTenista
Ferrer played fantastic for most of the match. It shows real heart to still believe you can win even when down a set and a break, especially considering there was a time when Federer won 23 straight points on serve. Ferrer played his heart out but not quite enough.

He plays like this all the time, it's only when he gets really angry and breaking racquets does he lose the plot.

Anyhow I'm proud of him. He won almost twice as many games against Fed as he did the last time.

scoobs
10-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Federer's backhand will always be the wing that betrays his nerves in tight situations. I don't ever see that changes - thankfully he can usually protect it pretty well or switch to the slice to get it done a lot of the time.

RonE
10-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Meh. I don't think tiredness has anything to do with it. His backhand is still the chink in his armor, in combination with Ferrer playing some great tennis, especially for a clay-courter.

Perhaps not physical tiredness as he is one of the fittest players on the tour, but certianly it must be draining mentally to keep yourself in match mode for almost 10 days straight.

scoobs
10-27-2006, 05:58 PM
And yeah, credit to Ferrer - we went on all-out attack at the end of the second set, just smacking everything as hard and deep as he could and a lot of it was coming off - Federer had to work very hard in defense.

LaTenista
10-27-2006, 05:59 PM

Put a little astrisk after clay-courter to include "reaches 4th round of both AO & Wimbledon, and on many occassions reaches the business end of hard court tournaments". Thanks. :wavey:

Voo de Mar

16-14 is the second longest for him.
The third longest is 14-12 against Verkerk in Paris-Bercy '03.

jacobhiggins
Perhaps not physical tiredness as he is one of the fittest players on the tour, but certianly it must be draining mentally to keep yourself in match mode for almost 10 days straight.

Oh it's taking effect, you can see it by looking at Federer. I think he is looking very tired!

LLeytonRules
10-27-2006, 06:01 PM
This match should have been over at 4-2, Roger played some loose games on his serve.Roger would be a fool if he plays in Paris.He does look tire.He doesnt need to participate in all these tournaments, rest up for the yearly masters cup.

LaTenista
10-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Ferrer is consistent, he runs down balls other players can't so that meant today Fed had to hit more shots than usual to win a point, therefore he probably tired out Fed today to some extent.

RonE
10-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Oh it's taking effect, you can see it by looking at Federer. I think he is looking very tired!

Yes the creases in his face seem to show :scared:

Still, from that regard he looked a lot worse in Halle and that was so much tougher coming off a FO final loss.

jacobhiggins
10-27-2006, 06:05 PM
If he ends up winning Basel, I think he's going to pull out of Paris. I think he knows his body can't take too much more of it.

I could be wrong though and he could win both, he is Federer, but I think if he doesn't lose in this tournament and ends up playing Paris, there's a good chance he will lose there. The grinds gotta be killer!

Voo de Mar
10-27-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm afraid Roger will withdraw from Paris.

rofe
10-27-2006, 06:07 PM
I am just waiting for someone to say that had Nadal been playing the match, Fed would have lost today.

Metis
10-27-2006, 06:20 PM
I thought Ferrer did incredibly well to stay in the match after being a set and a break down. He never gives up! The crowd seemed very impressed too. I really believed he was going to win the 2nd set after so many chances. :sad: But Federer played some great shots on all setpoints...

WF4EVER
10-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Win or lose in Basel, Feds needs to withdraw from Paris. Two weeks in a row is quite enough for someone who has made 14 finals so far this year.

Some players play 20+ tournaments per year but don't produce consistently great or even good results. I don't know if he is tired or not but the mental and physical strain is more likely to catch up on him at this point, and with the TMC still left to play, Paris can wait. If the tournament director or organizers don't like it, that's their business; everybody knows how hard Feds works.

Yet another reason for the ATP to fix their calendar. Otherwise don't try to force players to play when they can't or choose not to.

nobama
10-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Ferrer is consistent, he runs down balls other players can't so that meant today Fed had to hit more shots than usual to win a point, therefore he probably tired out Fed today to some extent.Well their past meetings Roger has won quite comfortably. It probably was a combination of good play from Ferrer and fatigue starting to set in on Roger's part. I think he's nuts if he plays in Paris.

scoobs
10-27-2006, 06:23 PM
I don't want him to pull out of Paris but then I don't want another dog's breakfast of a match like Cincy against Murray.

nobama
10-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Win or lose in Basel, Feds needs to withdraw from Paris. Two weeks in a row is quite enough for someone who has made 14 finals so far this year.

Some players play 20+ tournaments per year but don't produce consistently great or even good results. I don't know if he is tired or not but the mental and physical strain is more likely to catch up on him at this point, and with the TMC still left to play, Paris can wait. If the tournament director or organizers don't like it, that's their business; everybody knows how hard Feds works.

Yet another reason for the ATP to fix their calendar. Otherwise don't try to force players to play when they can't or choose not to.Hopefully common sense is now setting in and Roger will withdraw. Maybe last week he was feeling fine and thought he could play three weeks in a row, but from everyone who saw the match today they all say he looks tired. The field in Paris is decent, a lot of good players there. They don't need Roger there to "save" the tournament.

tennisgal_001
10-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Nice effort for Ferrer, he really put up quite a fight there. Federer, once again proving he could play average tennis, and win in straights. However, I can't see him surviving his draw in Paris if he ends up winning Basel (which we all know is the most likely scenario). Withdrawing seems to be the best option at the moment.

scoobs
10-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Maybe he should miss Paris this year then next year miss Madrid and make an assault on Basel to defend it and win Paris.

Allez
10-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Well done Rogi. But he's a little jaded. Can't see him playing Paris. If he does then it'll be another Cincy.

*Ljubica*
10-27-2006, 07:06 PM
I am very proud of David :) Whether Roger was tired or not, David fought so hard and tried his best - and that tie-break was amazing. People dismiss him so easily as "just a clay courter" , a "dirtballer" or whatever, - but as Isa said, he has reached the latter stages of Wimbledon and a couple of Masters' Series events on fast surfaces - so there is more to his game - he's just very under-rated :sad: Anyway - congrats to David for the fight - and to Roger for winning - I hope he can go on to win this tournament now - winning at home would mean so much to him

Kip
10-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Um, maybe he's not a robot. Maybe he has off days. Maybe he's tired. Maybe Ferrer is a much better player than his two previous opponents?

Ah you forgot,
Roger is held to
a different standard.

1. If he's dominating, tennis is boring.
2. If he's challenged, something is wrong.
3. If he's not perfect, the tennis world tilts off its axis.

He's won nearly everything in sight yet someone
will always find something to complain about as
it's the nature of the beast(s). :angel:

Bremen
10-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Ah you forgot,
Roger is held to
a different standard.

3. If he's not perfect, the tennis world tilts of its axis.

Yeah...I've never heard so much complaining considering Fed did win in straights.

Anyway I agree with everyone else in saying he should withdraw from Paris.

KaxMisha
10-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Ah you forgot,
Roger is held to
a different standard.

3. If he's not perfect, the tennis world tilts of its axis.

What the fuck? I wasn't complaining. I simply pointed out that he didn't play his usual game and that I found that to be very strange. Please get a grip on reality. :wavey:

Fergie
10-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Good fight David! :)

Roger :yeah:

buzz
10-27-2006, 08:03 PM
What's this all about??? monday and thuesday no match and then wednesday en thursday a very quick one. Ok he prob used monday and thuesday to adapt to surface balls etc. But tired because of that nahh I don't think so

Maybe he had another nightmare or just a romantic night with Mirka or something. Do you guys look the same every day at work?

Yesterday people where posting about fedenergizer, he might be totally fit again tomorrow.

RonE
10-27-2006, 08:28 PM
What's this all about??? monday and thuesday no match and then wednesday en thursday a very quick one. Ok he prob used monday and thuesday to adapt to surface balls etc. But tired because of that nahh I don't think so

Maybe he had another nightmare or just a romantic night with Mirka or something. Do you guys look the same every day at work?

Yesterday people where posting about fedenergizer, he might be totally fit again tomorrow.

It's the accumulative effect of playing so many matches in succession plus the mental strain of having to get into match mode day in day out. Don't forget Roger's first two opponenets pretty much self destructed in the first two rounds giving him easy victories. Ferrer just kept hanging in and hanging in- he is usually a very tough player to put away and if he is into a match with a fighting chance he just never goes away.

Ernham
10-27-2006, 08:29 PM

I was going to say something similar. Next he will bagel/breadstick Paradorn and everyone will be like "Federgizer is on a roll. Paris next!"

I think it's pretty funny that people are considering winning in straight sets a sign of some kind of weakness. Hah.

tennisgal_001
10-27-2006, 08:31 PM
I was going to say something similar. Next he will bagel/breadstick Paradorn and everyone will be like "Federgizer is on a roll. Paris next!"

I think it's pretty funny that people are considering winning in straight sets a sign of some kind of weakness. Hah.

It's only because he is THAT good ;)

Adler
10-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Welcome to MTF

Sue
10-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Well battled David- another feisty performance. :-)

eskinol
10-28-2006, 01:31 AM
does anyone have a video of the tie-break?

I♥PsY@Mus!c
10-28-2006, 04:01 AM
This is a big surprise for me. :) I didn't think David can force Federer in TB before!

swissfed
10-28-2006, 07:32 AM
I am actually pleased with how he survived under that sort of conditions and took the match,+ a straight sets win.

Jack Sparrow
10-28-2006, 07:43 AM
I am actually pleased with how he survived under that sort of conditions and took the match,+ a straight sets win.

hello boys and girls....i think that yesterday the match was so hardbecause roger didn't serve as he is able to do...above all in tie break!ferrer played a great match,but for me the key of the match was that roger put few first service....
see you soon!:)