Warm up / cool down tennis exercises [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Warm up / cool down tennis exercises

napki
10-27-2006, 05:45 PM
How many of you do a warm up before a match? :p If you do, what kind of exercise do you do? And how about cool down exercises?

I never spent too much time on that, but i need to pick up some tips on what, how and how much, because i can't afford being injured and not being able to use the courts that i payed for in advance. :p If anyone have any useful info and wants to share it - much appreciated.

Actually, a long long time ago, there was a small book about tennis exercises, injuries and how to treat them that my coach showed me when i just started to play... :scratch: But it didn't make much sense to me then, even 5 minutes of exercises seemed like a waste of time. Now, 10 years later, i wish i looked at it more closely. ;)

physics
10-28-2006, 11:43 PM
I never grab a racquet before some stretching jumping and bouncing to get warmed up. I am young and it's a good habit to keep.

eizmed
10-29-2006, 02:13 PM
Warm up by stretching etc. was once thought to be vital.. now some sports science ppl are saying depending on type and intensity of exercise intended..... if you think its a waste of time, why not just take it easy for 5-10 minutes until you are "warmed up" and ready to go?

Burrow
07-22-2007, 01:34 AM
some sports scientists say that if you do regular stretching it takes away 10% of strength, so they recommend dynamic stretching which is jumping jacks, knees up, feet to the backside etc. I do both.

tennisplayer89
07-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Before a match, jog slowly for a couple of minutes. Then stretch for a few minutes. Make sure to stretch your legs, arms, etc. If you do these things, you should be fine.