Jose Luis Clerc [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Jose Luis Clerc

Santorofan
02-27-2004, 07:48 AM
Does anybody know anything about his head to head stats and rivalry vs Vilas??? Any Argentines on this board???

Action Jackson
03-04-2004, 08:54 AM
They didn't like each other and Vilas led 10-4 in their head to head.

TennisLurker
03-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Ive seen old matches of Vilas but Ive never seen Clerc, I think he is one of the best players who never won a slam.
1983 was his last year with a full schedulle I think, he was young when he retired.

I think he played more agresive than Borg, Wilander or Vilas, he was more like Lendl I think.

I am not sure.

Santorofan
03-29-2004, 11:16 PM
Currently Clerc has a tennis resort in Alcapulco, I believe. He also hosts a (weekly?) tennis show on Latin American TV - which I happened to catch while visiting Brazil. Yup, he and Vilas didn't get along for much of their careers, but had some great battles on the court. At one point Clerc was as high as #4 in the world, and further, showed that an all court, serve and volley game could still win on clay, as evidenced by winning more than 20 titles.

wilson4
04-01-2004, 11:50 PM
what was his highest ever ranking?

TennisLurker
04-02-2004, 04:18 AM

in 1981

Rick V
09-07-2004, 06:34 PM
I remember watching Vilas and Clerc play a doubles match against the U.S. in the 80's and it was the only match I've ever seen a doubles team say not as much as a single word to each other. LMFAO!

cousindncr
12-14-2006, 05:59 PM
I remember watching Vilas and Clerc play a doubles match against the U.S. in the 80's and it was the only match I've ever seen a doubles team say not as much as a single word to each other. LMFAO!

Well I really don't know how it was back then(you know they had to focus intensly) but when I saw my cousin(Jose) and Vilas in the late 80's they were great chums.;)

shotgun
12-14-2006, 07:22 PM
Currently Clerc has a tennis resort in Alcapulco, I believe. He also hosts a (weekly?) tennis show on Latin American TV - which I happened to catch while visiting Brazil.

Yep, it's called Tenis con Clerc (tennis with Clerc) and it's aired weekly on ESPN Latin America.

I read more than once in the Argentine press that once they won an exhausting five-set battle in a DC doubles rubber and hugged each other, in what became known as "the hug for the cameras". :lol:

Their relationship improved since then, but I can understand why they didn't like each other back then - both have very big egos.

cousindncr
12-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Yup, most stars all have to work on their humility a bit. But when I saw them then in L.A. they seemed quite normal and personable. You know, on the court it'S a fight to the death for first place anyway.

Osama B Hitler
12-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Clerc, I think he is one of the best players who never won a slam.

I would agree. He was a fantastic talent but I think his head is what kept him from winning a Slam. Sadly, he had a tendency to choke in many of the the big moments. He seriously underperformed in the Slams. Amazingly, Clerc never even reached a Slam final. For a guy who won as many tournaments as he did and who had as great of an all around game as he did, that's pretty shocking. I know he reached the semifinals of the French Open in 1982 (losing to a young Wilander in 4 sets) but other than that I'm not sure he reached another semifinal of a Slam. Another choke situation for Clerc was his match against Borg in Monte Carlo in 1983 which was biled as Borg's last tournament. Clerc was so nervous he lost to 6-1, 6-3 to Borg who was a shadow of his previous self (Borg easily to a very young, unpolished Henri Leconte in the next round) while Clerc was in his prime.

But if you check his head-to-head results against some of the best of his era his record is generally damn good. He was 7-7 against Lendl, 3-1 over Connors, and 5-5 against Johnny Mac. That's impressive stuff. Makes his lack of success in the Slams even more curious.

vaxjoplayer
12-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Monte Carlo 1983: Leconte def Borg 4-6, 7-5, 7-6

......Not that Easy :)

Haile Selassie
08-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Yep, it's called Tenis con Clerc (tennis with Clerc) and it's aired weekly on ESPN Latin America.

I read more than once in the Argentine press that once they won an exhausting five-set battle in a DC doubles rubber and hugged each other, in what became known as "the hug for the cameras". :lol:

Their relationship improved since then, but I can understand why they didn't like each other back then - both have very big egos.

Good memory for you :yeah:

Yeah that doubles match was unforgottable for the argentian tennis fans, i read that before the match they have an argue and the media here talked all the time about that.

The truth is that they are not "friends" as they used to said for the media but these days they dont have a bad relationship, they met sometime for some events in here but Jose is living in Mexico now and have a tennis accademy.

This year he return with his TV program "Tenis con Clerc" and sorprising he wasnt in ESPN like commentator for the Grand Slams events. Thanks God! It is really annoying when he shout "que lindo!" after a nice point.

Batata in our hearts :yeah:

marcosz1985
08-04-2007, 02:39 AM
jose is not living in mexico any more! he's now encharged of an academy in parque roca, where davis cup was played (arg. vs. australia). he also is focusing to see how to introduce tenis in the poor villages!

Caio_Brasil
08-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Clerc's TV program is soooooo boring!

Haile Selassie
08-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Oh yes i forgot he lives in Argentina but i didnt know about his project.
So marcos said that he is focus in introduccing tenis in the poor villeges, tell us a bit more if you know more.
For me it is not a good idea, the poor people need other things like a good house, finish their studs and an healthy food first. Then if they have that we can start talking about the sopporting for a sport.

Anyway it is good that Jose is interesting in our society and their problems.

ExcaliburII
08-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Clerc's TV program is soooooo boring!

So true.

For thosse who aske, Clerc had plain strokes, no top neither slice. Agressive baseliner, we dont have players like him nowadays.

Haile Selassie
08-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks for sharing but it is too short. Also in youtube you could find some videos of his programm Tenis con clerc.