F. Gonzalez def. J. M. del Potro 5-7,6-4,6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

F. Gonzalez def. J. M. del Potro 5-7,6-4,6-4

RonE
10-27-2006, 02:12 PM
This is the first time I have seen JMDP play and I must say I liked what I saw :yeah:

This was quite a good match- JMDP's lack of experience told a little bit at the end but Fena again seems so motivated and his forehand was awesome. Keep on rolling Fena :hatoff: :drive:

LocoPorElTenis
10-27-2006, 02:14 PM
The kid played well but choked at the important moments. Gonzo looked exhausted but fought it and eventually got it.

First match against a top 10 for JMDP. He did really well. He was very frustrated when the match ended, but he's only 18 and has to learn from this.

Feña, go for the masters now! :banana:

Bilbo
10-27-2006, 02:14 PM
JMDP choked this match away. we will get gonzo tomorrow.

silverwhite
10-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Gonzo :eek:

I didn't think he had enough left in the tank to win another three-setter :worship:

zine56
10-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Feña!!! :woohoo: , Gisela is right there with him so he must be very motivated ;)

its.like.that
10-27-2006, 02:17 PM
:hatoff:

Gotta tilt your hat to Fena.

I believe that is now 12 matches in the past 19 days, and 30 sets of tennis.

:worship:

Although one must wonder how well Fena will be able to play in Paris next week. :scared:

Naranoc
Very well played by Del Potro, just found it difficult to hold serve after he'd broken Gonzo.

Julio1974
The kid played well but choked at the important moments. Gonzo looked exhausted but fought it and eventually got it.

First match against a top 10 for JMDP. He did really well. He was very frustrated when the match ended, but he's only 18 and has to learn from this.

Feña, go for the masters now! :banana:

The word "choke" is too strong in this case. I don't think he choked. He is playing against a top ten who is one of the top 5 players in indoor. Eeven if he is exhausted, he will show he's top ten material in the key moments while Del Potro is just beginning his career. This is the first time I watched Del Potro playing in indoor and I must say I like him a lot.

Jaap
Nice choking from Del Potro.

Sparko1030
10-27-2006, 02:18 PM
:worship: I'm soooo proud of Fernando!!! I don't know where he's getting the stregnth to keep pulling off these wins!!!! Good to hear Gisela is able to be there to support him now. :)

Naranoc
10-27-2006, 02:19 PM
:hatoff:

Although one must wonder how well Fena will be able to play in Paris next week. :scared:

And if he manages to play well there and make it to Shanghai, they'll probably carry him onto the court on a stretcher.

Clara Bow
He was very frustrated when the match ended, but he's only 18 and has to learn from this.

Yes, he did seem very frustrated- but it was nice to see in a way because it showed how much this meant to him. I can't wait to see more of this kid next year.

I only saw the last set- but it was nice to see that Fernando was really fighting hard and seemed very motivated.

Yappa
Gonzos serve saved his ass several times. He won one game alone thx to that.

disturb3d
10-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Potro should have won this match. I don't know whether he choked, but he failed to stick to the winning formula at every break point opportunity.

Crap forehand, stable backhand. Good serve and volley.

RonE
To those of you berating JMDP for choking- give the kid a break. This was his first match against a player of this calibre, no less a player who is in hot form and one of the best indoors. Tennis like any other sports and profession is a learning process and I am sure Juan will learn from this experience and there will be more moments when he does not capitalize on leads like he had today.

Not everyone in the world is Rafael Nadal winning TMS and Grand Slams by the age of 19.

shotgun
Is Gonzalez the new iron man?

LocoPorElTenis
The word "choke" is too strong in this case. I don't think he choked. He is playing against a top ten who is one of the top 5 players in indoor. Eeven if he is exhausted, he will show he's top ten material in the key moments while Del Potro is just beginning his career. This is the first time I watched Del Potro playing in indoor and I must say I like him a lot.

I respect your opinions a lot, but JM made lots of really stupid ues at the big moments. He wasn't outplayed by Feña, he gave those important points away. No hard feelings, he's only 18 and did really well considering what a great player Feña is. But I think choke is a very appropriate word for what happened today.

Ernham
It was a good match. I don't think the better player on court today won, however. Looked like Potro completely gave up in the last game, without even the slightest of fights.

Clara Bow
10-27-2006, 02:22 PM
To those of you berating JMDP for choking- give the kid a break. This was his first match against a player of this calibre, no less a player who is in hot form and one of the best indoors. Tennis is a learning process and I am sure Juan will learn from this experience and there will be more moments when he does not capitalize on leads like he had today.

Well said! He may have choked a bit, but geeze- in the circumstances I will give him a break.

I noticed that the crowd seemed to be really rooting for JMDP. They gave him a very nice hand when he walked off of the court.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
10-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Fena is a fighter! :inlove:

zicofirol
10-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Del Potro should get WC for Paris Qualies at least, and maybe the main draw if they get more withdrawls allowing for Santoro to get in.

Metis
10-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Did anyone else see the part where JM del Potro after breaking for 2-0 in the 3rd set took a flower from the decorations around the court and gave it to a lady sitting close by? :D I thought it was funny.
Of course then he proceeded to get broken himself...:p
It was the first time I saw him play. He's pretty good!

Naranoc
10-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Did anyone else see the part where JM del Potro after breaking for 2-0 in the 3rd set took a flower from the decorations around the court and gave it to a lady sitting close by? :D I thought it was funny.

:lol: I saw that! She looked really flattered too.

*Ljubica*
10-27-2006, 02:25 PM

Totally agree. Del Potro had never even played on a carpet court until he got to Basel, and the fact that he got to the quarter finals and took last year's champion to a final set is worth nothing but admiration in my eyes. He didn't choke in my opinion - it's just that he's young and inexperienced and the occasion got to him a little in the end - there's a big difference. And although I take nothing away from Gonzalez, the lucky net cord that gave him a break at 5-4 in the final set was a real heartbreaker for JMDP. So - congrats for your efforts and fighting spirit Gonzalez, and :hug: to JMDP - I am so very proud of him for getting this far.

enqvistfan
10-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Well said!

I noticed that the crowd seemed to be really rooting for JMDP. They gave him a very nice hand when he walked off of the court.

Yes, the crowd rooted for DP. We noticed that especially at the end of the match.

Yes, shotgun, ironman is the word :yeah:

And, it's so tiring to watching him, so stressy !! He showed again that he's a great fighter, but didn't seem to be happy with his victory. He won it's the most important.

I didn't know that DP has only 19. I think he has a good future !!

Clara Bow
10-27-2006, 02:27 PM
I didn't know that DP has only 19

He is just 18 - turned 18 this September so he is just a :baby:.

enqvistfan
10-27-2006, 02:28 PM
He is just 18 - turned 18 this September so he is the :baby: of the tour.

Thanks, sorry !!

*Ljubica*
10-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Del Potro should get WC for Paris Qualies at least, and maybe the main draw if they get more withdrawls allowing for Santoro to get in.

He can't play in Pars - he is already on the Acceptance List for the Aachen Challenger and he can't change now.

As for the flower - that's Juan for you - full of charm ;)

Clara Bow
10-27-2006, 02:33 PM
He can't play in Pars - he is already on the Acceptance List for the Aachen Challenger and he can't change now.

Dang it. Hope to see him at the Aussie Open.

I hope that Gonzo's gas tank isn't empty for Paris.

zine56
10-27-2006, 02:41 PM
only gisela can give him energy at this point :angel:

adee-gee
10-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Not everyone in the world is Rafael Nadal winning TMS and Grand Slams by the age of 19.
I kneeeeeeeew you liked him :p

:hatoff: to Gonzo, unbelievable effort these last few weeks. He wants revenge on Roger :devil:

TheHawk
10-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Well let's not forget the way Gonzalez is playing, to save energy. He's holding serve and then very little effort on his opponent's service games. If broken, he breaks back immediately: he did against Bolelli, Fish and today: broken then break back immediately.

If he was fresh and playing his normal game, I believe he would have cruised through but if he wants to reach Paris with some more gas in the tank, he has to play as he is doing.

Credit to Del Potro though, a good player and also a nice guy from what I saw, as the two exchanged smiles in more than one occassion and that was nice to see. Not to mention the flower episode :P

enqvistfan
10-27-2006, 03:24 PM
I hope that Gonzo's gas tank isn't empty for Paris.

Me too, that's what is worrying me at the moment. Playing great during three weeks, and in Paris, my hometown, I'll be there watching LIVE, seeing him lose for his first match would be a real nightmare. So, I hope he'll find the strengh to carry on one more week. VAMOS :bounce:

name_change
10-27-2006, 03:29 PM
gonzo!rest up and win the tourney!

Fergie
10-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Bravo Feña, another great fight!!! :bigclap:

RonE
10-27-2006, 03:53 PM
OMG Wawrinka is 7-6,5-2 against Nalby. :eek:

I think if I were Fena I would prefer Wawa to Nalby even though it will be a tough one for him should Wawa close the deal here!

enqvistfan
10-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Sure, he would prefer Wawrinka, cause Nalby is one of his black beast !!

ufokart
10-27-2006, 07:20 PM
That's a pity Juan :sobbing: It was so close.
But great effort nonetheless :)

And congrat to Feña :yeah:

doris_hdz
10-27-2006, 07:35 PM
buen partido de Juan Martin.......pero mejor el desempeño del feña....

Vamos Feña!!!!

justClaudia
10-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Great run from Juan Martin. :hug: But congrats to Fernando.

Conita
10-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Good effort Feña!!
always giving a fight :)

hope he still has energy for tomorrow

VAAAAAAAAMOOOOOSSSS!!

Hendu
10-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Potro should have won this match. I don't know whether he choked, but he failed to stick to the winning formula at every break point opportunity.

Crap forehand, stable backhand. Good serve and volley.

need glasses?

NyGeL
10-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Del Potro was very nervous after Gonzalez shot him in the leg...

Lala186
10-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Poro a good player and he is a nice kid
only 18, very young

congrat feña!!!

cobalt60
10-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Love is such an amazing drug ;)

Checho
10-27-2006, 11:43 PM
The big difference today was the experience.
In couple of years Del Potro won't miss an easy return like he did at the break point in the last set, when the match was 4-3 Advantage Del Potro with Gonzalez at serve.

FelipeMIA89
10-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Great job Gonzo!! Good luck tomorrow!

hanabishi
10-28-2006, 04:28 AM
Congratulations Gonzo!

But JMDP really impressed me this week. Definitely a tennis star for the future. Here's hoping that 2007 will be his breakthrough year.

Chileno
10-28-2006, 09:38 AM
...How long before Gonzo faints?