killa instinct [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

killa instinct

boka
10-27-2006, 12:51 PM
I have a problem and it's kind of hard to describe it. When I play matches I start well and then suddenly stop.I don't know if I got problem with concentration or maybe something else , but it's like I get a lead 4:0 easy , I'm playing good , the guy doesn't stand a chance , I'm in complete controll and then.... It's 4:4 and I'm shaky , often loose confidence...
I play a lot better with good players , I get in a state of mind : I'm gonna show you , you are not better . Especcialy against the cocky ones , I can't stand them , I play great against them , usually I beat them , but often loose against the ''cans''. It seems I don't have that natural killer instinct , a lot of times I see hate in my opponents eyes during the game , but to me it's just a game even dough I don't like loosing.And becouse of that my game softens during the mach , at the beginning I'm hammering( I'm good at it) the ball and later I try shortening it a lot , play soft shots , playing like a bitch to be short.Becouse of that I'm only playing on 50% of my cappabilities(?) and I'm starting to feel like shit.
And I ani't a pussy in normal life, not a coward but in tennis I'm a different man so please no gey threads!
Does someone have that same problem? How do I cope with it?

I apologise for the long post , I have limited vocabulary, thanks for the help!

PTR_Professional
10-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Sounds like you just ease off the gas when you`ve built up a good
lead.....common problem many players go through to be honest.

What happens is people work hard, they get a great start then
without being aware of it they lose the hard work ethic and think
the match is in the bag....

They switch off and before u know it you`ve lost the set.....

Its a bit like having a tug of war....you work real hard on the rope
and ready to win but you ease off the tension in the rope thinking
its to easy.....when you ease the tension your opponent takes it
up.......before you know whats happened their running away with it.

You have to stop yourself and think what did you do to get that
lead.....then use that!.....

........don`t change a winning game.....!

Hope that helps

:)

Forever-Delayed
10-27-2006, 05:37 PM
I have a problem and it's kind of hard to describe it. When I play matches I start well and then suddenly stop.I don't know if I got problem with concentration or maybe something else , but it's like I get a lead 4:0 easy , I'm playing good , the guy doesn't stand a chance , I'm in complete controll and then.... It's 4:4 and I'm shaky , often loose confidence...
I play a lot better with good players , I get in a state of mind : I'm gonna show you , you are not better . Especcialy against the cocky ones , I can't stand them , I play great against them , usually I beat them , but often loose against the ''cans''. It seems I don't have that natural killer instinct , a lot of times I see hate in my opponents eyes during the game , but to me it's just a game even dough I don't like loosing.And becouse of that my game softens during the mach , at the beginning I'm hammering( I'm good at it) the ball and later I try shortening it a lot , play soft shots , playing like a bitch to be short.Becouse of that I'm only playing on 50% of my cappabilities(?) and I'm starting to feel like shit.
And I ani't a pussy in normal life, not a coward but in tennis I'm a different man so please no gey threads!
Does someone have that same problem? How do I cope with it?

I apologise for the long post , I have limited vocabulary, thanks for the help!

That sounds a bit like me to be honest, as i play a lot better against better players than i do against people i should beat easily, as you walk on court thinking that you are going to win, so aren't as focused as you should be

If you get into a lead in a set, then try and forget about the scoreline, and just play it 1 point at a time. Also, dont ease up when you get to that situation, as if you give someone half a chance, they will often capatalise on it, and get back into the match (I should know, as I have won so many matches from match point down, and if you can see a hint of a weakness in the other player, you have the match won)

boka
11-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Thanx a lot for the answers guys:) ! I haven't been able to go online for the last week so I couldn't answer untill today.
I played against my friend yesterday who has a good game record against me even dough he ain't all that good. And I actually did exactly what you 2 said I should do! Didn't change my game plan , stayed concentrated , oh and pictured he killed my mom before the match:devil: ! It's kinda stupid but it helped , I won 6:0 , 6:1. I'll take it from here and try to work on that!
Again thanks for the help!:wavey:

P.S. : My mom's OK!;) :p

Patrick_Steele
11-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Even though unrelated this reminds me of my brothers Basketball team, when they would get up by 10+ they would start playing to 'not lose', which generally resulted in them coming back and winning. So maybe your sort of the same way, you can only win when your losing, you know what I mean, like you instinctively player weaker and safer when you have the lead (like when you play good players), but when your losing you play harder and to win (when you play good players). So basically I'd say, forget the score (to an extent) just play each point as it comes, don't get ahead of yourself thinking about how many more till you win or lose or anything else, put more energy into playing, and play to win. This is just my opinion, and a very generic answer, it's hard to answer these kind of things.

boka
12-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Since it's hard to change your personality , I changed my game a bit.I'm stepping into the ball more , playing a lot at the net , doing things that forces me to be more agressive and it's working for me at the moment.
I will have to change my racquet dough , couse my hammer ain't no good at the net , the feeling just ain't there and will have to find one with less heavy head or something...I always been good playing forward and this racquet isn't alowing me to shorten the ball or direct it properly at the net.It's great at the baseline but I'm a serve -volley tipe of player and will rather change the racquet then my whole play.
P.S. Thanx for the advice Patrick!