Youzhny OUT of Davis Cup final? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Youzhny OUT of Davis Cup final?

NyGeL
10-27-2006, 03:36 AM
Argentinean newspaper Clarin.com says that Youzhny is in doubt for the Davis Cup Final, after yesterday match against T.Johansson.

He has a problem in his right foot, and some exams that he will have this week, will decide it.

El Legenda
10-27-2006, 03:37 AM
would he have played? with Safin and davydenko

GlennMirnyi
10-27-2006, 03:40 AM
I watched on CNN that he is out indeed. It seems he broke a bone in his ankle or something like that, I wasn't paying too much attention.

marti_228
10-27-2006, 03:47 AM
According to espndeportes.com he is definetely out of the DC because he has 6 or 8 of recovery.

hanabishi
10-27-2006, 03:57 AM
Here's the article from Eurosport website:

http://www.eurosport.com/tennis/davis-cup/2006/sport_sto994056.shtml

Russia will play next month's Davis Cup final against Argentina without Mikhail Youzhny, who tore his right ankle in a doubles match at the St Petersburg Open on Wednesday.

The Russian was seen on crutches at the St Petersburg airport leaving for Moscow on Thursday morning.

"Youzhny damaged his ligaments, so he'll miss at least six to eight weeks, possibly more," said an ATP spokesman.

The world number 23 had to forfeit his second-round match with Swede Thomas Johansson, and the injury means Youzhny will miss the Davis Cup final being held from December 1-3 at Moscow's Olympic Sports Complex.

With former top 20 player Igor Andreev, who won last year's Kremlin Cup at the arena hosting the Davis Cup final, still recovering from knee surgery, Russia face an obvious shortage of manpower against the tough South Americans.

Youzhny was hailed as a national hero after clinching Russia's first Davis Cup title in 2002 when he came from two sets down to beat France's Paul-Henri Mathieu in the decisive fifth rubber in the Paris final.

World number six Nikolay Davydenko also suffered a foot injury at the $1 million tournament in St Petersburg on Wednesday and was forced to retire from his second-round match against South Africa's Wesley Moodie.

Davydenko's injury seems less serious than Youzhny's and he was optimistic he would play at next week's Paris Masters.

Russia's Davis Cup captain Shamil Tarpishchev must now hope former world number one Marat Safin, who has struggled with various injuries for much of the past two years, and Davydenko stay injury free until the showdown with Argentina.

So far Tarpishchev has refused to panic.

"We still have plenty of time before the final," he told Reuters. "I'm confident with or without Youzhny we'll have a very strong side and I rate our chances as very good."

shotgun
10-27-2006, 03:59 AM
Perhaps Kunitsyn will get his chance? Or maybe Korolev...

DrJules
10-27-2006, 07:21 AM
With former top 20 player Igor Andreev, who won last year's Kremlin Cup at the arena hosting the Davis Cup final, still recovering from knee surgery, Russia face an obvious shortage of manpower against the tough South Americans.

Really.

Safin and Tursunov still available even if Andreev and Youzhny out not to mention Davydenko.

zicofirol
10-27-2006, 08:02 AM
Tursunov is better on carpet anyway...

MariaV
10-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Tursunov is better on carpet anyway...

Yeah, he has done excellent choke jobs in Madrid and St. Pete's lately. :wavey:
He needs to get out of that hole first.

Fergie
10-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Bad luck for Misha and Russia :(

adee-gee
10-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Kunitsyn :rocker2:

*Viva Chile*
10-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Poor Misha :sad:
I hope the russians could win without Youzhny too ;)

*Viva Chile*
10-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Kunitsyn :rocker2:

If Tarpischev don't convocate Igor "I'm umbeatable in russian soil" Kunitsyn it will really annoy me :o

MariaV
10-27-2006, 05:39 PM
If Tarpischev don't convocate Igor "I'm umbeatable in russian soil" Kunitsyn it will really annoy me :o

Korolev is an option too. :shrug:
And I pray Kolya will be OK.