Nalbandian def Lopez 6-7,6-3,7-6 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nalbandian def Lopez 6-7,6-3,7-6

RonE
10-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Very nearly an awesome choke job from Fat Dave after serving for the match at 5-3 in the third set :yeah:

:retard:

TULY
10-26-2006, 08:43 PM
i have to say that Lopez is playing a a good tennis

garylanders
10-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Vamos!

/GL

scarecrows
10-26-2006, 08:44 PM
it's incredible how many close matches Nalby has won in this end of season

federated
Lopez found some real guts in the third set...almost pulled it out, from 1-4 down. now that's a tough loss. :hug:, feli

scoobs
Expecting win for David "why win in 2 sets when you can win in a final set tiebreak" Nalbandian.

Naranoc
10-26-2006, 08:45 PM
The choke was definitely coming in the third set; you could just see him getting ready for it.

Feli :smash:. That backhand though :help: I'd grimace everytime he had to use it; what a liability.

Ernham
10-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Yeah. That was a great match by Screech. It was a pretty sad ending, though. A completely unforced error followed by slipping when just about to play an easy passing-volleish shot while coming up to the net. Poor gal.

federated
10-26-2006, 08:46 PM
The choke was definitely come in the third set; you could just see him getting ready for it.

Feli :smash:. That backhand though :help: I'd grimace everytime he had to use it; what a liability.

I havent looked at the stats, but he made some spectacular winners with it from what I recall. And I like his floaty b-h chips.

Naranoc
10-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Quite a few errors though, particularly in the second set.

disturb3d
10-26-2006, 08:47 PM
I couldn't count on both hands the amount of times Feli saved himself by pulling and insane volley winner.
And the grunting during simple put-away shots really pissed me off. Thought he was a fair player.

federated
10-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Quite a few errors though, particularly in the second set.

definitely. and the first few games of the first set were almost unwatchable.

Viken01
10-26-2006, 08:49 PM
yeah lopez played a very good match, but at the end david managed to win.
congrats to both of them and VAMOS DAVID ;)

tennisgal_001
10-26-2006, 08:50 PM
tough one to swallow for Feli, I like that he's making the effort though.
Nalby, glad he pulled it off. I know he's the master of comebacks the last few weeks, but PULEEEZ don't let him be the chokemaster as well. He'll need to snack well tonight. Stan's backhand will be ready to fire.

coreyschucky
10-26-2006, 08:52 PM
These types of matches are becoming routine for Nalby

Congrats Nalby!!!!

Alexandy
10-26-2006, 08:52 PM
I was hoping Feli could pull it out. But I am at least glad to hear he played relatively well. I still have hopes for a Feli turnaround next year. *fingers crossed*

Forever-Delayed
10-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Typical Nalbandian match really, with him having to save a match point before winning, and dropping serve when serving for the match, but he is becoming the master of the tight 3 setter

He'll have to play better against Wawrinka tomorrow though if he wants to make it any further in the tournament

Fergie
10-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Good match Feli, too bad that wasn't enough :(

LocoPorElTenis
10-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Good match by Nalbi except that abysmal game when serving for the match at 5-3. Very entertaining match, definitely a clash of styles.

Good luck against Stan! :yeah: (you will need it :scared:)

Johnny Groove
10-26-2006, 09:08 PM
routine, expected win by David :yeah:

lordmanji
10-26-2006, 09:11 PM
after watching this match and nalbies previous match, it seems he doesn't have much motivation to win unless he's pushed. whereas federer and roddick etc can provide their own motivation, nalby needs to go to three setters as in the lopez match and his madrid matches.

also im very impressed with feliciano that he can play at such a high level with only a slice backhand and "just" a good forehand and serve.

madmanfool
10-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Yeah. That was a great match by Screech. It was a pretty sad ending, though. A completely unforced error followed by slipping when just about to play an easy passing-volleish shot while coming up to the net. Poor gal.

What are you talking about??? He didn't slip. He was storming towards the net trying to cover the cross court passing, but Nalbandian went behind his opponent with a passing long the line. That doesn't mean he slipped, he was just wrong footed by Nalbandian.

Ernham
10-26-2006, 09:18 PM
What are you talking about??? He didn't slip. He was storming towards the net trying to cover the cross court passing, but Nalbandian went behind his opponent with a passing long the line. That doesn't mean he slipped, he was just wrong footed by Nalbandian.

He slipped and tripped. Yes, mainly because he was surprised by where it was going, but he could have still easily played that had he not tripped.

madmanfool
10-26-2006, 09:21 PM
He slipped and tripped. Yes, mainly because he was surprised by where it was going, but he could have still easily played that had he not tripped.

OMG! I cannot believe you think that way. You can't run one way and swing the racket the other way properly. Do you play tennis yourself?

federated
10-26-2006, 09:23 PM
after watching this match and nalbies previous match, it seems he doesn't have much motivation to win unless he's pushed. whereas federer and roddick etc can provide their own motivation, nalby needs to go to three setters as in the lopez match and his madrid matches.

also im very impressed with feliciano that he can play at such a high level with only a slice backhand and "just" a good forehand and serve.

don't forget the volley (when it's on, of course).

I just really hope costa can help him get it together. it was tough to watch him come out to court--he looked like a defeated man--no confidence at all, shoulders hunched. :sad:

Ernham
10-26-2006, 09:24 PM
OMG! I cannot believe you think that way. You can't run one way and swing the racket the other way properly. Do you play tennis yourself?

He didn't need to "swing" it. He just needed to volley it. Do YOU even play tennis?

disturb3d
10-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Lopez was never going reach the passing shot on match point.
Still couldn't have hurt for Nalbandian to aim further towards the line.

Trivial
10-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Good to see Lopez showing a bit of form after such a long time of only dismal displays. The most notable thing that Lopez has changed is the almost complete neglectance of his one handed driven backhand, instead opting almost exclusively for the slice. This meant that when the ball was played too his backhead he wasnt giving Dave cheap points i.e unforced errors, but instead getting it back in court, and waiting for the oppertunity to rip one with his forehand, which along with his serve was firing well in the parts of the match that i saw.

Dave definetly lacks motivation..unlike the Federer's, Roddick's of this world he doesnt have the type of game that allows him to take his foot off the pedal and cruise through matches hitting winners when he feels like. However he did eventually pull through so i guess thats all that counts. Rooting for stanny next though!!

madmanfool
10-26-2006, 09:29 PM
If he did a split step or stopped and therefor wasn't wrong footed all he had to do was stick his racket out yes, but that wasn't the case. He was running towards the net desperately trying to close in for the cross court passing. Nalbandian went behind him. Simple as that. And yes i play tennis if you want to know.

Trivial
10-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Regarding match point: It was Dave's play, behind the momentum of Lopez that won the point, and NOT Lopez 'slipping'. :rolleyes:

Ernham
10-26-2006, 09:33 PM
If he did a split step or stopped and therefor wasn't wrong footed all he had to do was stick his racket out yes, but that wasn't the case. He was running towards the net desperately trying to close in for the cross court passing. Nalbandian went behind him. Simple as that. And yes i play tennis if you want to know.

Whatever. Nalby was gifted because Screech tripped over himself. You claim he had to "swing". :haha: It's quite clear you don't know what the hell you are talking about, so I'll cease talking about it with you.

Yappa
10-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Whatever. Nalby was gifted because Screech tripped over himself. You claim he had to "swing". :haha: It's quite clear you don't know what the hell you are talking about, so I'll cease talking about it with you.

:D

madmanfool
10-26-2006, 09:40 PM

I never claimed he had to swing. That's exactly what i'm trying to tell, there's no fysical way he could have got to that ball, let alone do something with it.

All he had to do was volley it, give me a break :haha:

Klaas_nalbandian
10-26-2006, 09:43 PM
at least he won, vamos david

Ernham
10-26-2006, 09:48 PM
I never claimed he had to swing.

OMG! I cannot believe you think that way. You can't run one way and swing the racket the other way...

OMG, d3wd, pwned!

madmanfool
10-26-2006, 09:58 PM
OMG, d3wd, pwned!

So?

You can't run one way and swing the racket the other way...
What part don't you understand? You can't have you body go one way and your arm the other way and hit the ball probably. It's fisicaly a problem you see.
I wasn't necessarely talking about this perticular volley, just a shot from the baseline would do as well, anywhere.
What did you want me to say? "On this particular volley, you can't run one way and put the racket in front of you and push it away from yourself the other way". That better?:confused:
You don't have to take "swing" that litteraly. I never said he had to (take a big- like you make it sound) swing at it.

All i said was :You can't run one way and swing the racket the other way...
No more, no less.
That doesn't mean i claimed he had to swing

stebs
10-26-2006, 10:19 PM
I believe this was his 5th deciding tie-break match of the year. He is now 3-2.

Top 10 in deciding tie-breaks '06

Federer 3-1
Nadal 2-0
Nalbandian 3-2
Ljubicic 2-1
Roddick 3-3
Davydenko 0-0
Gonzalez 5-0
Robredo 0-0
Blake 3-4
Berdych 0-1

Safin, incidentally, has played 6 deciding tie-breaks so far this year despite playing a limited number of matches. He is 1-5. His only victory coming over Nalbandian.

Naranoc
10-26-2006, 10:20 PM
^ I remember that at the U.S Open - Nalbandian had choked majorly in the tiebeak.

Trivial
10-26-2006, 10:22 PM
Definition of Mental Toughness:

Fernando Gonzalez :worship:

KaxMisha
10-26-2006, 10:23 PM

The forehand and serve are more than "good", though. I still don't understand why he isn't a top ten fast courter...

atheneglaukopis
10-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Nalby's motto: "I meant to do that!"

Naranoc
10-26-2006, 10:29 PM
:lol: He'd probably just say he deliberatley played for three sets to increase his fitness and shift some pounds.

Hendu
10-26-2006, 10:30 PM
The forehand and serve are more than "good", though. I still don't understand why he isn't a top ten fast courter...

The forehand and the serve are not as good as you think they are... ;)

KaxMisha
10-26-2006, 10:34 PM
The forehand and the serve are not as good as you think they are... ;)

They most definitely are. They are good enough to completely crush Ljubicic, one of the best servers on the tour, on a surface as fast as the US Open, and to win more than 30 points in a row on your own serve. That's sick. And please, no "Ljubo sucks" argument here. Feliciano's problems are clearly mental.

jayjay
10-26-2006, 10:35 PM
I believe this was his 5th deciding tie-break match of the year. He is now 3-2.

Top 10 in deciding tie-breaks '06

Federer 3-1
Nadal 2-0
Nalbandian 3-2
Ljubicic 2-1
Roddick 3-3
Davydenko 0-0
Gonzalez 5-0
Robredo 0-0
Blake 3-4
Berdych 0-1

Safin, incidentally, has played 6 deciding tie-breaks so far this year despite playing a limited number of matches. He is 1-5. His only victory coming over Nalbandian.

Where do you get these stats from? Me like.

musefanatic
10-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Wow close one Nalby, well done i guess

tripb19
10-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Well done Nalby, a token performance.

disturb3d
10-26-2006, 10:40 PM
They most definitely are. They are good enough to completely crush Ljubicic, one of the best servers on the tour, on a surface as fast as the US Open, and to win more than 30 points in a row on your own serve. That's sick. And please, no "Ljubo sucks" argument here. Feliciano's problems are clearly mental.There is no arguement to be made. Ljubicic is no.56 in return games won.

When Feliciano has crowd support and momentum, he can rush through service games. Easier done against Ljubicic than anyone else in the top 50.

stebs
10-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Where do you get these stats from? Me like.

Not as easy as copy & paste. :p I actually looked up the matches to get them.

Ernham
10-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Nalby really did look like he just ate a huge Christmas dinner and he was all set to curl up with his favorite blankie on the sofa watching TV. Thankfully, Screech was nice enough to bring some presents.

GlennMirnyi
10-26-2006, 10:49 PM
Expected win by fat Dave, but should have been easier.

KaxMisha
10-26-2006, 11:03 PM
There is no arguement to be made. Ljubicic is no.56 in return games won.

When Feliciano has crowd support and momentum, he can rush through service games. Easier done against Ljubicic than anyone else in the top 50.

Not losing one single point on serve against ANY top 50 player for more than 30 straight points is sick, so you are right, there's no argument to be made for what you're saying. :wavey:

Nalbandian!!!
10-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Keep going David !!:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Corey Feldman
10-27-2006, 01:08 AM
lock up your sons tonight Basel, Big Dave and F.lo are hitting the town !!

Lleyton, Marat
10-27-2006, 02:40 AM
A win's a win, well done David.

Apemant
10-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Not losing one single point on serve against ANY top 50 player for more than 30 straight points is sick, so you are right, there's no argument to be made for what you're saying. :wavey:

Sorry, but there is. By far the worst part of Ljubo's game is his 1st serve return. He's just abysmal there. But of course, that doesn't mean Lopez serve isn't great. It is right up there with Roddick, Karlovic, Ljubicic and PimPim (to name a few).

I♥PsY@Mus!c
10-27-2006, 12:41 PM
So close,Lalo! :(

Action Jackson
10-27-2006, 12:44 PM
They most definitely are. They are good enough to completely crush Ljubicic, one of the best servers on the tour, on a surface as fast as the US Open, and to win more than 30 points in a row on your own serve. That's sick. And please, no "Ljubo sucks" argument here. Feliciano's problems are clearly mental.

Please don't overrate LaLo.

no name face
10-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Nalbandian is the male Dementieva.