Del Potro def Bastl 6-3, 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Del Potro def Bastl 6-3, 6-2

zicofirol
10-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Although Gonzalez is a favorite tomorrow fatigue may come into play and Del Potro might get an upset, he laready took a set of Gonzalez in Viña del Mar this year.

LocoPorElTenis
10-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Easy win for Juan Martín :) .

I like Feña too and want him to qualify for the masters, but it would be great for JMDP to reach SF and defeat a top ten. I think he has a chance.

:banana:

Hendu
10-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Good win for Juan Martín.

Gonzalez is the big favorite. But who knows?

Trivial
10-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Good win for JMDP, a real tester against Gonzalez tomorrow, but why not?

Sidenote: Can anyone find JMDP's profile on the ATP's website? I have searched for it yet it keeps telling me that it is unable to find a player of that name :rolleyes:

ReturnWinner
10-26-2006, 04:08 PM
you have to type del potro,juan

Hendu
10-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Good win for JMDP, a real tester against Gonzalez tomorrow, but why not?

Sidenote: Can anyone find JMDP's profile on the ATP's website? I have searched for it yet it keeps telling me that it is unable to find a player of that name :rolleyes:

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/?playersearch=del_potro&x=7&y=14

bokehlicious
10-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Georges... :(

Trivial
10-26-2006, 04:11 PM

Thanks buddy :wavey:

Ah..thanks Willy also!

Hendu
10-26-2006, 04:12 PM

or del_potro

Hendu
10-26-2006, 04:15 PM
60 ranking points for quarters in Basel. :)

This is Del Potro's only second quarterfinal in ATP level. (he made qf in Umag 2006)

I hope he gets to a semifinal for the first time. But Feña is going to be very tough.

coreyschucky
10-26-2006, 04:22 PM
Congrats JMDP!!!!

GonzoFan
10-26-2006, 04:27 PM
he laready took a set of Gonzalez in Viña del Mar this year.

Fernando won in straights sets in Viña.

jayjay
10-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Although Gonzalez is a favorite tomorrow fatigue may come into play and Del Potro might get an upset, he laready took a set of Gonzalez in Viña del Mar this year.

He didn't take a set off him, but he pushed him, it was 64 76 if I recall correctly.

Trivial
10-26-2006, 04:38 PM
Yup it was 6-3 7-6(4). Not a whitewash though, and taking into account the amount of improvement JMDP has made over the last 7 months it could be even closer this time around.

*Ljubica*
10-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Juan Martin is the best young player I've seen in a long, long time - and barring injury, I honestly feel he'll be the best and most successful Argentine player since Vilas. The thing I like most about him is his ability to think on court and change his game plan if necessary - if things go wrong in the 1st set of a match (for example last night against Clemens or in Stuttgart against Pavel), he doesn't panic, he just changes his tactics and adapts to the situation.There aren't so many players who can do that - especially at his young age.

Unfortunately, I had to leave Basel this morning, so I won't be able to see the Gonzalez match - but I hope he makes a good fight of it, though this is his first tournament ever on carpet (and only his second ever indoors - last week in Madrid was the first!), and I think Gonzalez' serve and hard hitting will be too much for him on a carpet court

Hendu
10-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Juan Martin is the best young player I've seen in a long, long time - and barring injury, I honestly feel he'll be the best and most successful Argentine player since Vilas.

Wow, thats a big statement. We will see, I certainly hope so.

jayjay
10-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Juan Martin is the best young player I've seen in a long, long time - and barring injury, I honestly feel he'll be the best and most successful Argentine player since Vilas.

My feeling too. :)

Hendu
10-26-2006, 04:47 PM
My feeling too. :)

Well, there has never been an Argentine player as successful as he is at that age. But players development are difficult to predict.

jayjay
10-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Well, there has never been an Argentine player as successful as he is at that age. But players development are difficult to predict.

That is true, but as Rosie said bar injury, like her I am hopeful and dare I say confident he will go on to achieve big things. Time will tell. :)

Fergie
10-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Good win Juan! :bigclap:

Hendu
10-26-2006, 05:01 PM
That is true, but as Rosie said bar injury, like her I am hopeful and dare I say confident he will go on to achieve big things. Time will tell. :)

Coria and Nalbandian for different reasons are far from fullfiling their potential. I hope Juan can do it.

Primal
10-26-2006, 05:04 PM
:bigclap:

What a talent :)

Roger The Great
10-26-2006, 05:06 PM
I have yet to see the kid play, but I'm very much looking forward to it.

jayjay
10-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Coria and Nalbandian for different reasons are far from fullfiling their potential. I hope Juan can do it.

Hopefully he will learn from that and take up the chance to make all he can of his talents. I also hope he hasn't learnt too much from Gato when it comes to accepting bagels too readily. :lol:

zine56
10-26-2006, 05:19 PM
I have yet to see the kid play, but I'm very much looking forward to it.

i watched him at Viña del Mar last February against Gonzo and he has a lot of attitude! ;) and according to Rios he has the same game-style of Chela, "he even makes the same kind of Unforced Errors" he said, anyway for a 18 years old he is great :)

Hendu
10-26-2006, 05:20 PM
Hopefully he will learn from that and take up the chance to make all he can of his talents. I also hope he hasn't learnt too much from Gato when it comes to accepting bagels too readily. :lol:

:lol:

The last thing we need is Gaudio messing with the kid's head.

El gato should be in quarantine.

Hendu
10-26-2006, 05:23 PM
i watched him at Viña del Mar last February against Gonzo and he has a lot of attitude! ;) and according to Rios he has the same game-style of Chela, "he even makes the same kind of Unforced Errors" he said, anyway for a 18 years old he is great :)

That has to be one of the worse comparisons ever.

They are both tall, Argentine and... thats all.

I miss Rios... :sad:

*Ljubica*
10-26-2006, 05:33 PM

I miss Rios... :sad:

I saw their match in Stuttgart - and have to say I had never really seen any great similarity in their games :shrug: Juan has a lot of subtlety in his game - Chela doesn't have much variety at all. I've never really rated Chela that much to be honest :o It's nice to see Juan coming into the net a LOT more recently - he is really working on his net game and volley skills. His serve still leaves a lot to be desired :rolleyes: - but I've been to a lot of his practice sessions recently and he really is working hard on that aspect too.

jayjay
10-26-2006, 06:06 PM

And they are named, Juan. That's all it takes for some people. :lol: Or not even that much!

tennisgal_001
10-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Nothing better than ending the season on a high note, especially for the up-and-coming. Gonzalez will be a tough match tomorrow, but Fena is barely getting through his matches and the amount of tennis he's played of late is taking a serious toll on his body, so if JMDP can push him, play consistently, lower UFEs, serve well, he has a great chance at making it to his first ATP semi ever.

Sutti
10-26-2006, 06:18 PM
he has the same game-style of Safin..

ReturnWinner
10-26-2006, 06:21 PM
no way , he is a mix between chela and safin but the russian has a big serve and is much more agressive

Hendu
10-26-2006, 06:24 PM
no way , he is a mix between chela and safin but the russian has a big serve and is much more agressive

:confused:

What are the similarities with Chela?

jayjay
10-26-2006, 06:32 PM
:confused:

What are the similarities with Chela?

Argentine, tall, Juan........remember?:)

Hendu
10-26-2006, 06:34 PM

zicofirol
10-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Fernando won in straights sets in Viña.

Oh, my bad, lol I watched the game how could i forget:o , but he did take a set of Ferrero right, 2 times if I remember correctly.

NYCtennisfan
10-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Under nomal circumstances, beating Gonzo right now would be too much at this point in his career, but Gonzo is tired and ha been stretched to his limits in his last two matches. JMDP has definitely got a chance.

DrJules
10-26-2006, 10:09 PM
His serve still leaves a lot to be desired :rolleyes:

I assume it is better than Coria or Volandri, but not as good as Nalbandian.

DrJules
10-26-2006, 10:11 PM

Does that include players such as Nadal, Gasquet and Berdych. If so that it is a powerful statement.

Deivid23
10-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Long life the hype

ReturnWinner
10-26-2006, 10:27 PM
:confused: ? he has less than for example murray, djokovic, gasquet or berdych at 18
Long life the hype

maria87
10-26-2006, 10:28 PM

RetunrWinner! we agree again after all these time!! remember we talked about Chucho and Marat??

i like del potro also!! and always thought it was a mix of Chela and marat...

Deivid23
10-26-2006, 10:41 PM
:confused: ? he has less than for example murray, djokovic, gasquet or berdych at 18

Wrong, I had heard a lot about him before I´ve ever seen him in action and long before he cracked into top 150 as the next big thing. He will be a very good player but he´s not in the same class as Murray, Nole or Berdych imo

Deivid23
10-26-2006, 10:43 PM

Apart from having a very good backhand I can´t see any similarity with Marat

Deivid23
10-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Juan Martin is the best young player I've seen in a long, long time

I guess you´ve missed Nadal´s, Murray´s, Gasquet´s, Nole´s and Berdych´s matches during this long long time

Nathaliia
10-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Wrong, I had heard a lot about him before I´ve ever seen him in action and long before he cracked into top 150 as the next big thing. He will be a very good player but he´s not in the same class as Murray, Nole or Berdych imo

Of course he will be a top player because I knew it already when he won Orange Bowl for 14s. And I always bring very good luck to the children I support :)

Now good luck against Feńa :wavey: I have got a feeling it will be a won match.

Hendu
10-26-2006, 10:51 PM
I assume it is better than Coria or Volandri, but not as good as Nalbandian.

His serve is good, but not as good as it should be for a man of his size.

Does that include players such as Nadal, Gasquet and Berdych. If so that it is a powerful statement.

Rosie has seen Del Potro play more times than I did. And she saw him live. I didn't.

But I've seen him enough to tell he has the potential to be really good.

He got into the top 100 a week after his 18th birthday.

I don't know if you have seen him play. If you didn't, then imagine a 6'5'' (195 cm) player who has a serve that is not a weapon yet, and still manages to be the youngest player in the top 100.

About his game, he has very powerful and solid strokes on both sides and manages to create good angles. His best shot is a two-handed backhand, which is flatter than his forehand. He is not just a "big hitter", but a smart and talented player who builds points. His favorite surface is hard.

I heard he is going more to the net than he used to, which is great news.
Developing his serving and volleying skills would be great for him, and from what I have been told he is working a lot on that.

Long life the hype

We will see in a couple of years if it was hype.

He is still very young and has a lot of things to learn.

Only time will tell.

:)

maria87
10-26-2006, 10:52 PM

well, i think there are similarities: the backhand for example down the line, the way they stand and hit the ball....no joke, there are good similarities..i comment that with my tennis proffessor who is a former argentine pro!

i hope he could beat gonzo!!!!

Hendu
10-26-2006, 11:13 PM
well, i think there are similarities: the backhand for example down the line, the way they stand and hit the ball....no joke, there are good similarities..i comment that with my tennis proffessor who is a former argentine pro!

They are both tall Argentines named Juan, they play from the back of the court, have powerful forehands, and can hit down the line backhands...

Now.

Del Potro is taller, and named Juan Martín, and not Juan Ignacio.

JMDP, has a lot more variety in his game, and has better touch. Chela can only hit hard and heavy topspin shots, thats all he can do. And please don't ask him close angles, because he might injury himself.

Del Potro on the other hand has a lot more weapons, is much more talented. He changes spins and speeds and can move the other players with his angles. There can't be any comparison between their backhands... the kid can do whatever he wants with it, while Chela can only hit it when comfortable.

jayjay
10-26-2006, 11:29 PM
[QUOTE=WillyCañas;4351712]who has a serve that is not a weapon yet, and still manages to be the youngest player in the top 100.

Exactly, the potential of JMDP is huge. His serve should improve, if it doesn't he and his team have/are not doing their jobs. I trust that it will, and then it's going to be big trouble for alot of the tour.

I heard he is going more to the net than he used to, which is great news.
Developing his serving and volleying skills would be great for him, and from what I have been told he is working a lot on that.

He was coming to net at opportune times in Mumbai, haven't seen him since to comment.

We will see in a couple of years if it was hype.

I wonder of the people claiming that it's just hype, how many of those people have ever seen him play for even 15 seconds?:)

jayjay
10-26-2006, 11:32 PM

I hope so too, as others have mentioned tomorrow could be a good time to play Gonzalez given that he has been playing for 2 and a half weeks straight and is suffering various niggling injuries. As well as needing a deciding set breaker to come through his 2 matches so far.

At the same time, Gonzalez is playing like he'd rather die than not make Shanghai, so maybe JMDP is in big trouble!? :lol:

Sutti
10-26-2006, 11:35 PM
Dejense de joder con Chela , son totalmente distintos!!
Dije que tiene el estilo de Safin porque la bola le corre con naturalidad y tiene mucha POTENCIA.

Chela no tiene talento, no tiene tenis, es aburrido, es pasapelotas. Le pega como nena.

maria87
10-26-2006, 11:35 PM
They are both tall Argentines named Juan, they play from the back of the court, have powerful forehands, and can hit down the line backhands...

Now.

Del Potro is taller, and named Juan Martín, and not Juan Ignacio.

JMDP, has a lot more variety in his game, and has better touch. Chela can only hit hard and heavy topspin shots, thats all he can do. And please don't ask him close angles, because he might injury himself.

Del Potro on the other hand has a lot more weapons, is much more talented. He changes spins and speeds and can move the other players with his angles. There can't be any comparison between their backhands... the kid can do whatever he wants with it, while Chela can only hit it when comfortable.

ok, good report on similarities and differences! i think Chela is talented too but agree about del potro, he is better!... but i just think sometimes Chela is underestimated...i saw him reaching very good angles too. I remember one match against Marat in which both played superb angles. I think Chela won that time. Just my humble opinion.

Hendu
10-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Dejense de joder con Chela , son totalmente distintos!!
Dije que tiene el estilo de Safin porque la bola le corre con naturalidad y tiene mucha POTENCIA.

Chela no tiene talento, no tiene tenis, es aburrido, es pasapelotas. Le pega como nena.

¿No será mucho?

Trabajó bastante para evolucionar en el jugador que es hoy. Nunca se destacó por su talento, pero es un muy buen jugador. Y le pega muy duro.

maria87
10-26-2006, 11:39 PM
I hope so too, as others have mentioned tomorrow could be a good time to play Gonzalez given that he has been playing for 2 and a half weeks straight and is suffering various niggling injuries. As well as needing a deciding set breaker to come through his 2 matches so far.

At the same time, Gonzalez is playing like he'd rather die than not make Shanghai, so maybe JMDP is in big trouble!? :lol:

when they played the last match if i remember well, del potro gave him some troubles! del potro coudl beat him for sure but maybe needs more time to grow up? maybe he is still too young...i don't like gonzo game at all! he just hit that forehand the harder he could and that's all....sorry for gonzo fans, no offense.

maria87
10-26-2006, 11:41 PM
¿No será mucho?

Trabajó bastante para evolucionar en el jugador que es hoy. Nunca se destacó por su talento, pero es un muy buen jugador. Y le pega muy duro.

a mí tb me parece mucho, demasiado e insisto que se subestima un poco el juego de Chela. Yo sí le he visto conseguir muy buenos ángulos en ese partido con Marat, lo recuerdo bien.

Hendu
10-26-2006, 11:47 PM
a mí tb me parece mucho, demasiado e insisto que se subestima un poco el juego de Chela. Yo sí le he visto conseguir muy buenos ángulos en ese partido con Marat, lo recuerdo bien.

Si, pero la soltura y la calidad de golpes de Del Potro es buenísima. Esa capacidad de generar potencia al parecer sin ningún esfuerzo, impresiona. Safin y pocos otros hacen eso.

Además pone la bola donde quiere, es muy precizo con sus tiros. No tira a lo loco como Gonzalez o Calleri. Maneja los efectos y las velocidades. Y en cuanto al revés, el de Chelita no tiene comparación. Del Potro puede dominar al rival con su revés.

Sutti
10-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Chela aunque ustedes no lo vean ejerce un papel como el de Nadal. Se tira 2 metros atras de la linea, le pega con todo lo que tiene y la pelota va profundisima y casi no erra pero pocas veces consigue winners contra jugadores rapidos. Cuando por ejemplo lo agarra un Srichaphan en buen nivel que es rapidisimo y tiene una derecha muy veloz lo destroza.

Chela no gana partidos(salvo con hewitt en el AO) sino que te hace jugar 8 puntos a vos.

P.D: Hasta tuksar le tomo la iniciativa, no me jodan.,..

Sutti
10-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Y por ultimo Chela no tiene ni el espiritu ni la mentalidad ni la actitud ganadora que Delpo.

Y todo esto se los digo porque vi 4 partidos de Delpo y un sin fin de Chela y ya note la diferencia.

ReturnWinner
10-27-2006, 12:11 AM
yes but chela can flatten out his shots pretty much specially his bh

and i used the chela comparison coz c hela is tall guy who plays from the baseline , has a two bh and he is pretty defensive and his shots are not that hard whereas safin hit pretty agressive and pretty hard.

on the other hand del potro is not as agressive as safin but he is not as defensive as chela.

Hendu
10-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Chela aunque ustedes no lo vean ejerce un papel como el de Nadal. Se tira 2 metros atras de la linea, le pega con todo lo que tiene y la pelota va profundisima y casi no erra pero pocas veces consigue winners contra jugadores rapidos. Cuando por ejemplo lo agarra un Srichaphan en buen nivel que es rapidisimo y tiene una derecha muy veloz lo destroza.

Chela no gana partidos(salvo con hewitt en el AO) sino que te hace jugar 8 puntos a vos.

En canchas rápidas si toma la iniciativa. Con Tuksar estaba muy nervioso. Esta claro que jugar bajo presión no es su fuerte.

Ya di mi opinion con respecto a la comparación con Del Potro. No la hay, es otro nivel de jugador.

Pero tampoco hay que desmerecer a Chela, que parecía que no iba a llegar a nada, y terminó siendo un muy buen jugador, gracias a trabajar duro y a jugar dobles.

Now lets speak in English or we will be kicked out of MTF!!!

musefanatic
10-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Well done del Potro :)

Nalbandian!!!
10-27-2006, 12:31 AM
good luck Juan Martin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:worship:

Checho
10-27-2006, 12:42 AM
En canchas rápidas si toma la iniciativa. Con Tuksar estaba muy nervioso. Esta claro que jugar bajo presión no es su fuerte.

Ya di mi opinion con respecto a la comparación con Del Potro. No la hay, es otro nivel de jugador.

Pero tampoco hay que desmerecer a Chela, que parecía que no iba a llegar a nada, y terminó siendo un muy buen jugador, gracias a trabajar duro y a jugar dobles.

Now lets speak in English or we will be kicked out of MTF!!!

Really?? If you don't speak in english they just kick you out??

By the way, I think Chela can be aggressive on fasts courts but the that day he was too scared to do that.

At last, Nobody can compare Del Potro with Chela, they have very diffirents styles

Julio1974
10-27-2006, 12:44 AM

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

I think have never insulted in front of a tv before like I did that morning. If he had lost that match, I would have gone to Ezeiza to kill him. What made me even madder is that he thought he was a hero !!!!!!!!!

PS: However, I want to add something. He's one of the few pro I ever met he was extremely nice with all the kids who were jumping all arund him. He seems to be a great guy.

Hendu
10-27-2006, 12:47 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

I think have never insulted in front of a tv before like I did that morning. If he had lost that match, I would have gone to Ezeiza to kill him. What made me even madder is that he thought he was a hero !!!!!!!!!

Don't be mean, he did win the fifth point.

Julio1974
10-27-2006, 12:50 AM

Don't be mean.

Well, he did win the fifth point.

That's true. At least, he managed to overcome the panic.

hanabishi
10-27-2006, 04:16 AM
Well done JMDP!
Keep climbing up the rankings.

zine56
10-27-2006, 04:26 AM
i don't like gonzo game at all! he just hit that forehand the harder he could and that's all....sorry for gonzo fans, no offense.

don't worry! ;) , gonzo is #7 playing with that game-style, and this year he has victories over Ljubicic, Roddick, Nalbandian, Berdych, Blake, Safin, etc... so i really don't care what u think about his game LOL :lol: :kiss: :hug:

ufokart
10-27-2006, 04:34 AM
Well done Juan :yeah:

He has had some terrible draws this year :sobbing:, i hope he can beat Feña (nonetheless, i'll still be happy also if Feña wins :) )

Hendu
10-27-2006, 04:49 AM
don't worry! ;) , gonzo is #7 playing with that game-style, and this year he has victories over Ljubicic, Roddick, Nalbandian, Berdych, Blake, Safin, etc... so i really don't care what u think about his game LOL :lol: :kiss: :hug:

Actually, Gonzalez is #7 and had all those victories because he doesn't play that way anymore. Now he is being smarter, waiting for the right moments to hit the winners.

He is building points, he is playing tennis now, not trying to kill the opponents with one shot. And if he learns to do this even more, he could be higher in the ranking and why not, win a GS.

zine56
10-27-2006, 04:58 AM
Actually, Gonzalez is #7 and had all those victories because he doesn't play that way anymore. Now he is being smarter, waiting for the right moments to hit the winners.

He is building points, he is playing tennis now, not trying to kill the opponents with one shot. And if he learns to do this even more, he could be higher in the ranking and why not, win a GS.

:devil: hey! i know that!, you know that!.... but obviously she doesn't know it, so i was trying to be sarcastic here!!! LOL :lol: