New ATP tournament in Greece (?) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

New ATP tournament in Greece (?)

Metis
10-25-2006, 10:11 PM
I just read about this today (translation from Greek article):

Douvis: "We are claiming a big tennis tournament"

Stavros Douvis, Secretary General of the Ministry of Sports, announced in an interview with Supersport 2, that efforts are being made to organize a big tennis tournament (in the order of $800,000-$1,000,000) in Athens.

In particular, Mr Douvis said: "We have one of the best courts in the world in the Olympic Complex. There is interest among investors and sponsors for the organization of the tournament. We are expecting the visit of important people in professional tennis (I guess he means the ATP) in November. We will attempt to acquire one of the 5 tournaments that are available, and hope for the participation of Marcos Baghdatis, which will attract the interest of Greek tennis fans as well as others. We will soon be able to say more about the tournament we are claiming."

Here's the link for those of you that can read Greek: :)

http://www.contra.gr/Tennis/Hellas/132631.html

I certainly hope they manage to get it! It would be a big step towards increasing the popularity of tennis in Greece and a nice location for foreign tennis fans who could combine a nice vacation with some high quality tennis. :) I guess if it actually happens it would start in 2008 or later, since the 2007 calendar is already set.
I am not familiar with the procedures needed to acquire an ATP tournament and wasn't even aware that there were tournaments for ...sale! Maybe someone else has more info about this and the likelihood of success of the Greek claim...

Saumon
10-25-2006, 10:15 PM
I heard they'll create a tourney in Greece especially for Xristos! :p

Klaas_nalbandian
10-25-2006, 10:16 PM
that would be nice , think marcos and mark will like it

zicofirol
10-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Would Baghdatis play in it?? I would think he would...

shotgun
10-25-2006, 10:27 PM

Maybe he can get a wildcard. But only if he changes his nationality from AUS to GRE. ;)

Metis
10-25-2006, 10:27 PM
:haha:
I guess the Secretary General forgot to mention that by the time the new tournament starts, Xristos will have overshadowed the whole ATP tour, Roger included.

scarecrows
10-25-2006, 10:28 PM
I think they dont have even a challenger in the calendar

surprising considering their economic potential and the yearly grant their federation receives

Metis
10-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Would Baghdatis play in it?? I would think he would...
I bet he would. You should see the Greek crowd then! I don't think Berdych would like to face Marcos in Athens. The Madrid Masters would be a happy memory then... :devil: :p

Alexiana
10-25-2006, 10:31 PM
I think it would be great to have a tournament in the olympic stadium. But I'm doubtfull if it will be successfull in Greece. They aren't the biggest tennis fans over there. But I would love it. Pame Ellada! :yeah:

shotgun
10-25-2006, 10:36 PM
I bet he would. You should see the Greek crowd then! I don't think Berdych would like to face Marcos in Athens. The Madrid Masters would be a happy memory then... :devil: :p

The Big-V Mazarakis will win it with home support. :cool:

ae wowww
10-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Would be a great idea if it goes ahead, popular with many European players I think. :yeah:

vogus
10-25-2006, 10:38 PM
sorry to ask a stupid question - but what is the difference between Greeks and Cypriot Greeks? Beacuse it seems like the Bagman is embraced just as much by Greece as he is by Cyprus. Are the two countries almost like one nation that is geographically split?

scarecrows
10-25-2006, 10:42 PM
sorry to ask a stupid question - but what is the difference between Greeks and Cypriot Greeks? Beacuse it seems like the Bagman is embraced just as much by Greece as he is by Cyprus. Are the two countries almost like one nation that is geographically split?

used to be part of Greece, then it was a british colony, now it's an indipendent country, but the pople living there call themselves greek so it's basically the same thing but with different flags

any greek ose cypriot here feel free to correct me

Lee
10-25-2006, 10:46 PM
The Big-V Mazarakis will win it with home support. :cool:

Konstantinos Economidis will have a say in this ;)

Metis
10-25-2006, 10:48 PM
I think it would be great to have a tournament in the olympic stadium. But I'm doubtfull if it will be successfull in Greece. They aren't the biggest tennis fans over there. But I would love it. Pame Ellada! :yeah:
That may be true, but I think that things have changed a bit, especially with Baghdatis' recent success. Even my parents have heard about him and they know nothing about tennis. If the event is well organized and advertised, who knows? The fact that they want to organize a big event shows that they believe it would succeed (or maybe they are too ambitious :shrug:). I haven't lived in Greece for the past few years, so I don't know what the current situation is as far as tennis is concerned...

Metis
10-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Greece and Cyprus are 2 different countries (or states). We speak the same language and I would say we belong to the same nation (or are brother nations).

Alexiana
10-25-2006, 11:02 PM
used to be part of Greece, then it was a british colony, now it's an indipendent country, but the pople living there call themselves greek so it's basically the same thing but with different flags

any greek ose cypriot here feel free to correct me

and Cyprus is seperated into a greek and a turkish part.

Alexiana
10-25-2006, 11:05 PM
That may be true, but I think that things have changed a bit, especially with Baghdatis' recent success. Even my parents have heard about him and they know nothing about tennis. If the event is well organized and advertised, who knows? The fact that they want to organize a big event shows that they believe it would succeed (or maybe they are too ambitious :shrug:). I haven't lived in Greece for the past few years, so I don't know what the current situation is as far as tennis is concerned...

Yeah, my father (greek) knows him to, but I think only because I told him about Marcos. I have never lived in Greece myself (shame on me), but when I am in Greece they show Marcos victories and write about him in the papers. But I haven't seen that before he came up. They love football ans basketball and they like tennis I think. But that can change.

vogus
10-26-2006, 12:46 AM
they are on thin ice though if they expect any one player (Baggy in this case) to carry an 800,000$ event all by himself. If he wins it's great, but if he loses early the tournie becomes a dud.

I guess they'd really be wanting the round robin format to make sure he doesn't go out in the opening round.