Will Federer catch Agassi for most different "big" titles won? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Federer catch Agassi for most different "big" titles won?

FaceyFacem
10-25-2006, 06:40 PM
By winning Madrid, Federer has now won 3 of the 4 majors and 6 of the 9 Masters Series and the Masters Cup
he has won 10 of the 14 "big" events at least once (missing Roland Garros, Paris, Rome, Monte Carlo)

Agassi won 4 of the 4 majors and 7 of the 9 Masters Series/Super 9 and the Masters Cup (when it was the YEC at Hannover)
he won 12 of the 14 "big" events at least once (missing Monte Carlo and Hamburg)

will Fed win Paris, Monte Carlo, Rome, or Roland Garros on the next go around, or at any point in his career?

MisterQ
10-25-2006, 07:01 PM
One could also include the Olympics in this assessment.

PamV
10-25-2006, 07:06 PM
It seems likely that Federer will attain these at some point. It took Agassi 3 tries to win his French Open title and he was 29 at the time.

Klaas_nalbandian
10-25-2006, 07:09 PM
I think he will win it all even RG

vogus
10-25-2006, 07:10 PM
you should count the Olympics, in that case Agassi won 13 of the 15 most impoartant titles in tennis.

What year did he win Stuttgart indoors though? I don't remember that.

MisterQ
10-25-2006, 07:13 PM
you should count the Olympics, in that case Agassi won 13 of the 15 most impoartant titles in tennis.

What year did he win Stuttgart indoors though? I don't remember that.

Agassi won Madrid in '02. This event has moved around, from Stockholm to Essen to Stuttgart to Madrid. :)

R.Federer
10-25-2006, 07:57 PM
I think he'll get at least 1 out of the 3 big missing clay ones, hopefully that will be the French. I don't see why he can't win Paris (the TMS) either.

Cervantes
10-25-2006, 08:16 PM
By winning Madrid, Federer has now won 3 of the 4 majors and 6 of the 9 Masters Series and the Masters Cup
he has won 10 of the 14 "big" events at least once (missing Roland Garros, Paris, Rome, Monte Carlo)

Agassi won 4 of the 4 majors and 7 of the 9 Masters Series/Super 9 and the Masters Cup (when it was the YEC at Hannover)
he won 12 of the 14 "big" events at least once (missing Monte Carlo and Hamburg)

will Fed win Paris, Monte Carlo, Rome, or Roland Garros on the next go around, or at any point in his career?

These kinda statistics remind me once again how great a player Agassi was. To have won 12 out of 14 big ones is truly great. How many did Sampras win?

stebs
10-25-2006, 08:19 PM
These kinda statistics remind me once again how great a player Agassi was. To have won 12 out of 14 big ones is truly great. How many did Sampras win?

Sampras won 5 AMS plus the TMC and 3 slams. That makes 9, one behind Federer.

Ernham
10-25-2006, 08:22 PM

Well, Agassi was definitely one of the "greats", but I think that the rules requiring players to play X amount of masters and whatnot were more lax in his era, meaning competition wasn't that stiff at a lot of them.

Boris Franz Ecker
10-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Well, Agassi was definitely one of the "greats", but I think that the rules requiring players to play X amount of masters and whatnot were more lax in his era, meaning competition wasn't that stiff at a lot of them.

Only the indoor tournament had a 'complete' draw.
Bercy and the other one.

megadeth
10-25-2006, 09:17 PM
agassi is 13 out of 15 with the olympics. but if you include davis cup, andre was there who contributed to his team winning it. so that makes him 14 out of 16 in all titles that matter.

i believe roger can go to 15 out of 16 winning the rest (RG, Paris, Monte Carlo, Rome, and the olympics). the olympics would be hard since he realistically only has 2 chances in his pro career (2008 and 2012 - which would be harder by then since he'll be 30 or 31 by then)

Davis cup would be questionable unless the Swiss come up with another top 5 or 10 player to help roger out in there...

vogus
10-25-2006, 09:18 PM

not true, Agassi won 5 different TMS events - IW, Miami, Rome, Cincinnati, and Madrid - AFTER the ATP made those events mandatory. And the year he won Paris ('99), all the major names were in the draw.

scarecrows
10-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Olympics a big title ??? :lol:

Rosset, Massu winnign and Paes getting a bronze

mr_burns
10-25-2006, 09:49 PM
nadal needs a slump and he has all next year...

MisterQ
10-25-2006, 10:01 PM

But also Agassi, Kafelnikov... ;)

No argument that historically the Olympics was either unimportant or not an option, but by this point in time surely it is at least comparable to a TMS event (whose winners include Pavel and Portas! ) Plus it can only be won every four years.

As for Davis Cup, it's an excellent achievement, but I'm not sure if we should require that from Roger as a measure of greatness. We can't help where we're born, and those from smaller/less "tennis-powerful" nations shouldn't have that held against them.

LK_22
10-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Not the olympic debate again :rolleyes:

The big one here obviously is the French. At least one of the clay court TMS might elude him, but he has got time on his side ;)

If Fed is still playing in 2012, I think he might have a chance on the grass courts of Wimbledon :devil:

guga2120
10-25-2006, 10:34 PM
This is what seperated Agassi from Sampras, b/c Pete was so completly dominant on fast surfaces, but on slower surfaces esp clay was so beatable.
Anyway i do think Federer will pass him, but hes going to have his work cut out winning Paris if Nadal is playing.

scarecrows
10-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Not the olympic debate again :rolleyes:

The big one here obviously is the French. At least one of the clay court TMS might elude him, but he has got time on his side ;)

If Fed is still playing in 2012, I think he might have a chance on the grass courts of Wimbledon :devil:

I remember he was very excited when he heard that London was gonna be the host for the 2012 Olympics

corporalclegg
10-25-2006, 11:43 PM
I think 2007 will be the year Federer wins the Grand Slam. It will be a year of complete and utter dominance from Federer. He will not lose a single match (well, maybe one like the one he lost to Murray, but no matches that he is in good form in).

guga2120
10-25-2006, 11:49 PM
I think 2007 will be the year Federer wins the Grand Slam. It will be a year of complete and utter dominance from Federer. He will not lose a single match (well, maybe one like the one he lost to Murray, but no matches that he is in good form in).

:silly: hes is good but hes not superhuman. I don't think.

megadeth
10-25-2006, 11:50 PM

still, an olympic gold is still something that would make it "complete" in your resume

its.like.that
10-26-2006, 01:44 AM

Do you expect a yes or no answer to this question?

its.like.that
10-26-2006, 01:47 AM
In regards to the PARIS AMS - if Roger maintains current form and is not too fatigued playing 3 weeks in a row, it is likely he will add this title to the list.

its.like.that
10-26-2006, 01:48 AM
I think Davis Cup should be included.

And any tournament which doesn't have a best of 5 set final should be kicked off the list - yes, I am talking about those two shitty American masters (Cincy and the Canadian one).

its.like.that
10-26-2006, 01:51 AM

No argument that historically the Olympics was either unimportant or not an option, but by this point in time surely it is at least comparable to a TMS event (whose winners include Pavel and Portas! ) Plus it can only be won every four years.

As for Davis Cup, it's an excellent achievement, but I'm not sure if we should require that from Roger as a measure of greatness. We can't help where we're born, and those from smaller/less "tennis-powerful" nations shouldn't have that held against them.

Nothing has to be held against anybody.

Any player can play his two singles and doubles match. If he wins all of those, his country wins - simple equation really.

its.like.that
10-26-2006, 01:53 AM

No need to knock Pavel and Portas winning TMS titles, when you have guys like Roddick and Tojo winning slams.

vogus
10-26-2006, 02:28 AM
No need to knock Pavel and Portas winning TMS titles, when you have guys like Roddick and Tojo winning slams.

Roddick is a 4-time GS finalist, jackass. Whereas Pavel, Portas and Tojo have only 2 GS semi's between the 3 of them. Not that you didn't know that already, which makes your post even more stupid.

its.like.that
10-26-2006, 02:32 AM
Roddick is a 4-time GS finalist, jackass. Whereas Pavel, Portas and Tojo have only 2 GS semi's between the 3 of them. Not that you didn't know that already, which makes your post even more stupid.

:confused:

does losing 3 finals = winning 1 or something?

NO.

vogus
10-26-2006, 02:36 AM
:confused:

does losing 3 finals = winning 1 or something?

NO.

any time a player gets to a GS final it is a significant career achievement, i would have thought that is obvious. Sure there are flukes like Verkerk and such, but 3 times plus a victory is not a fluke. Roddick can't be lumped with Pavel, Portas, and ToJo.

its.like.that
10-26-2006, 02:52 AM
any time a player gets to a GS final it is a significant career achievement, i would have thought that is obvious. Sure there are flukes like Verkerk and such, but 3 times plus a victory is not a fluke. Roddick can't be lumped with Pavel, Portas, and ToJo.

How many slams has Roddick won? and how many has Tojo won?

Nuff said.

:dance:

oz_boz
10-26-2006, 09:40 AM
I think he'll win Paris Indoors one year, if he concentrates on it. Rome is also definitely doable. Somehow I think MC and RG will elude him. Olympics is unimportant IMO (please no debate on this, I am perfectly aware of all the 1000 and 1 arguments for the importance of the Olympic Gold).

Yashirobai
10-26-2006, 09:44 AM
So, considering only individual achievements, and therefore Davis Cup being excluded, we have 15 big titles (4 GS, 9 TMS, TMC, Olympics), and some of the big names of the last decade or so have won the following (minimum of 3):

1. Agassi: 4 + 7 + 1 + 1 = 13

2. Federer: 3 + 6 + 1 = 10

3. Sampras: 3 + 5 + 1 = 9
3. Becker: 3 + 5 + 1 = 9

5. Kuerten: 1 + 4 + 1 = 6

6. Safin: 2 + 3 = 5
6. Nadal: 1 + 4 = 5
6. Chang: 1 + 4 = 5
6. Ríos: 5 = 5

10. Hewitt: 2 + 1 + 1 = 4
10. Ferrero: 1 + 3 = 4
10. Moya: 1 + 3 = 4
10. Roddick: 1 + 3 = 4
10. Muster: 1 + 3 = 4

15. Kafelnikov: 2 + 1 = 3
15. Rafter: 1 + 2 = 3
15. Corretja: 2 + 1 = 3
15. Enqvist: 3 = 3

Purple Rainbow
10-26-2006, 10:07 AM
It would be really cool if a player could win all the different TMS events.
Federer of course has a very good shot. The only tournament he hasn;t reached the final of is Paris, surprisingly enough.
Note that Nadal has also won 4 different TMS events already, and this doesn't include Hamburg.

FaceyFacem
10-26-2006, 07:49 PM
It would be really cool if a player could win all the different TMS events.
Federer of course has a very good shot. The only tournament he hasn;t reached the final of is Paris, surprisingly enough.
Note that Nadal has also won 4 different TMS events already, and this doesn't include Hamburg.

especially if they eliminate the masters series in 2009 like i've heard rumors about