The "7 years and counting in the Top Ten" RANKINGS WATCH Thread!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "7 years and counting in the Top Ten" RANKINGS WATCH Thread!!!

tangerine_dream
10-25-2006, 06:49 PM
I just realized that we don't have a thread dedicated to watching Andy's rank go up and down—so now we do! :D

Looking over the past five year's ATP INDESIT RANKINGS I've noticed that Andy and Roger Federer are the only two players who have made it to the YEC all four years. :cool:

So how about that: The ubertalented, no-peer genius Roger Federer and our little no-talent quack who can't play tennis are the only two players who can consistently hack it in the top eight. Amazing, isn't it? :p

YEAR END TOP TEN FOR 2002
1. Hewitt, Lleyton (AUS)
2. Agassi, Andre (USA)
3. Safin, Marat (RUS)
4. Ferrero, Juan Carlos (ESP)
5. Moya, Carlos (ESP)
6. Federer, Roger (SUI)
7. Novak, Jiri (CZE)
8. Henman, Tim (GBR)
9. Costa, Albert (ESP)
10. Roddick, Andy (USA)

YEAR END TOP TEN FOR 2003
1. Roddick, Andy (USA)
2. Federer, Roger (SUI)
3. Ferrero, Juan Carlos (ESP)
4. Agassi, Andre (USA)
5. Coria, Guillermo (ARG)
6. Schuettler, Rainer (GER)
7. Moya, Carlos (ESP)
8. Nalbandian, David (ARG)
9. Philippoussis, Mark (AUS)
10. Grosjean, Sebastien (FRA)

YEAR END TOP TEN FOR 2004
1. Federer, Roger (SUI)
2. Roddick, Andy (USA)
3. Hewitt, Lleyton (AUS)
4. Safin, Marat (RUS)
5. Moya, Carlos (ESP)
6. Henman, Tim (GBR)
7. Coria, Guillermo (ARG)
8. Agassi, Andre (USA)
9. Nalbandian, David (ARG)
10. Gaudio, Gaston (ARG)

YEAR END TOP TEN FOR 2005
1. Federer, Roger (SUI)
2. Nadal, Rafael (ESP)
3. Roddick, Andy (USA)
4. Hewitt, Lleyton (AUS)
5. Davydenko, Nikolay (RUS)
6. Nalbandian, David (ARG)
7. Agassi, Andre (USA)
8. Coria, Guillermo (ARG)
9. Ljubicic, Ivan (CRO)
10. Gaudio, Gaston (ARG)

YEAR END TOP TEN FOR 2006
1. Federer, Roger (SUI)
2. Nadal, Rafael (ESP)
3. Davydenko, Nikolay (RUS)
4. Blake, James (USA)
5. Ljubicic, Ivan (CRO)
6. Roddick, Andy (USA)
7. Robredo, Tommy (ESP)
8. Nalbandian, David (ARG)
9. Ancic, Mario (CRO)
10. Gonzalez, Fernando (CHI)

YEAR END TOP TEN FOR 2007
1. Federer, Roger (SUI)
2. Nadal, Rafael (ESP)
3. Djokovic, Novak (SRB)
4. Davydenko, Nikolay (RUS)
5. Ferrer, David (ESP)
6. Roddick, Andy (USA)
7. Gonzalez, Fernando (CHI)
8. Gasquet, Richard (FRA)
9. Nalbandian, David (ARG)
10. Robredo, Tommy (ESP)

YEAR END TOP TEN FOR 2008
1. Nadal, Rafael (ESP)
2. Federer, Roger (SUI)
3. Djokovic, Novak (SRB)
4. Murray, Andy (GBR)
5. Davydenko, Nikolay (RUS)
6. Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried (FRA)
7. Simon, Gilles (FRA)
8. Roddick, Andy (USA)
9. Del Potro, Juan Martin (ARG)
10. Blake, James (USA)

=========

He seems to slip a rank every year. Only this year he slipped down to 6. Not too bad for someone who's been slumping for over half the year.

Tytta!.
10-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Oh, Tangy, we know he's just so not talented ;)

The title :haha:

blosson
10-25-2006, 08:14 PM
Andy has dropped one position every year since 2003. At this rate it will take another 7 years for him to drop out of the top 10 :lol: (althought I think he will drop one or 2 more positions if he doesn't play Paris)

partygirl
10-25-2006, 09:16 PM
...and his forehand is soooo good.
-you go boy.

J. Corwin
10-25-2006, 09:52 PM
Andy's trying to test out the "How low can you go?" ranking limbo game. He needs to try harder. It must suck to not really suck. :lol:

partygirl
10-25-2006, 10:04 PM
He sucks Roger:devil:

i hope the title traps a lot of mindless GM fools:)

tangerine_dream
10-25-2006, 10:33 PM
At this rate it will take another 7 years for him to drop out of the top 10 :lol:
He'll be retired by the time he falls out of the top ten for any length of time. :lol: Which is funny because his detractors have been predicting him falling out of the top ten for years and it still hasn't happened. They must be so depressed. :devil:

Fumus
10-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Why does Andy get 0 points for rome he made the qrts and gets 0 for cinncy :confused:

Deboogle!.
10-26-2006, 03:45 PM
the ATP site is messed up right now i think. it's been showing the wrong #s for a while.

Fumus
10-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Samir Na-gheen-an-a-jar. Nagheenanajar.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys.
Samir: Hmm... well why don't you just go by Mike instead of Michael?
Michael Bolton: No way. Why should I change? He's the one who sucks.

tangerine_dream
10-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Samir Na-gheen-an-a-jar. Nagheenanajar.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys.
Samir: Hmm... well why don't you just go by Mike instead of Michael?
Michael Bolton: No way. Why should I change? He's the one who sucks.
:yeah:

Fumus
10-26-2006, 06:17 PM
:yeah:

No tangy! :yeah: to you. We are on the same wavelength.

tangerine_dream
10-27-2006, 08:16 PM
So what does Andy have to do to gain points at Shanghai? He's lost 225 from both Lyon and Paris (450) and Ljubicic has lost 350 from Paris. Ivan has one RR match to defend (100) and Andy has nothing. If Andy goes one RR better than Ivan will he retake the No. 3 ranking?

Math help please :help: :)

J. Corwin
10-27-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure but I think RRs are worth 20 race points each so that's equal to 100 ranking points. :) That's exactly enough to make up the difference between the 450 and 350 defending points lost but Andy is still behind in the rankings soooo...um Andy would need to do the equivalent of 2 RR rounds better? :scratch:

tangerine_dream
10-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Is it 50 points each RR even if you lose? Ivan has 100 pts to defend: he had won his first RR but lost the next two.

J. Corwin
10-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Is it 50 points each RR even if you lose? Ivan has 100 pts to defend: he had won his first RR but lost the next two.

nope! He has his 100 points to defend from his one round robin win. 20 race points = 100 ranking points:cool:

I don't know where you got the 50 points from...you're confusing me :p

partygirl
10-28-2006, 01:24 AM
crazay.

Deboogle!.
10-28-2006, 01:42 AM
Don't even worry about defending points at this point in the year, just look at the race

tangerine_dream
10-28-2006, 08:53 PM
nope! He has his 100 points to defend from his one round robin win. 20 race points = 100 ranking points:cool:

I don't know where you got the 50 points from...you're confusing me :p
The ATP site doesn't tell us how many points each RR round is so I'm confuzzled myself. :silly:

Deboogle!.
10-28-2006, 08:54 PM
each round robin win is 20 race points or 100 Entry System points. But again, it doesn't matter b/c the race is what's important this time of year...

Havok
10-28-2006, 10:57 PM
As long as he's still inside the top 5 :yeah:. Top 4 finish would own though, better draw for the AO and since he's got shit to defend up until like Cincy :rolls: maybe he can actually make a push for #2 :scared:.

Fumus
10-30-2006, 03:03 PM
As long as he's still inside the top 5 :yeah:. Top 4 finish would own though, better draw for the AO and since he's got shit to defend up until like Cincy :rolls: maybe he can actually make a push for #2 :scared:.

That would only be if Nadal drops his form in the clay season. I have to remind you alittle that Nadal will win 2 masters and probably the French again in 07'. Pushing Nadal to number 3 would only be good for Andy because Nadal could face Fed in the semis, which means Andy could be winning slams again...maybe. Apart from that being the number 3 player in the world doesn't mean too much since it's Federer and then everyone else anyways.

Ranking doesn't really matter to Andy at this point in his career, as long as he's in that top 8 it doesn't matter. Andy wants slam titles, that's what it's all about, Federer is going to have the number 1 spot. Andy wants to do well in master events get in good form and then win gs titles. Winning the year ending championship is cool but it's not a gs, ranking is just a number, winning slams is history.

Deboogle!.
10-30-2006, 03:07 PM
I think the ranking is a little important to andy. no not as important as winning titles and contending for slams etc. but he seemed pretty perturbed at that USO press conference when he wasn't too nice to Matt Cronin and promised he'd be in the top 5 again. I think it means something to an extent, if nothing else than a pride thing.

Fumus
10-30-2006, 03:16 PM
I think the ranking is a little important to andy. no not as important as winning titles and contending for slams etc. but he seemed pretty perturbed at that USO press conference when he wasn't too nice to Matt Cronin and promised he'd be in the top 5 again. I think it means something to an extent, if nothing else than a pride thing.

I mean, Andy is a very competitive guy but honestly I would rather Andy wins a slam this year, at AO or USO or Wimbledon than be the number 2 or 3 ranked player in the world, if Andy wins a slam and drops to number 9 or 10 or sumtin, who cares.

partygirl
10-30-2006, 06:30 PM
-# 2 or 3 serves as a bit for haters to chew on & shut up. :)

blosson
10-30-2006, 10:24 PM
On top of Ljubicic por favor :lol:

tennis lover
10-31-2006, 04:11 AM
Je suis d'accord! ;)

Jlee
10-31-2006, 09:09 PM

Si! Eso sería perfecto ;)

Lo siento. Hablo un poco español...

tangerine_dream
10-31-2006, 09:25 PM
each round robin win is 20 race points or 100 Entry System points. But again, it doesn't matter b/c the race is what's important this time of year...
I know that. All I'm asking is: does Andy have to go one better than Ivan at Shanghai in order to solidify No. 3?

Deboogle!.
10-31-2006, 09:27 PM
It's not that simple, Blake and Davydenko both can and very well may overtake Andy (or Ljubicic) going into Shanghai if they do well this week. Davydenko's double bagel win today put him within one win of overtaking Andy :shrug: I'd say it's pretty unlikely Andy will finish #3 or even #4 unless Davydenko and James lose early in Paris and Andy does really really well in Shanghai.............

tangerine_dream
10-31-2006, 09:49 PM
It's not that simple, Blake and Davydenko both can and very well may overtake Andy (or Ljubicic) going into Shanghai if they do well this week. Davydenko's double bagel win today put him within one win of overtaking Andy :shrug: I'd say it's pretty unlikely Andy will finish #3 or even #4 unless Davydenko and James lose early in Paris and Andy does really really well in Shanghai.............
I was looking for the scenarios so thanks for this. I hope it's Blake because Davydenko is seriously annoying me. :mad:

So long as Andy's back in the top ten where he belongs, I'm satisfied. :)

Deboogle!.
10-31-2006, 10:37 PM
oh, he's gonna finish the year in the top 8, that's a mathematical certainty but yeah, it's possible for Andy to finish anywhere from like 3-8 depending on what happens. if TMC were to start today, then yes one more win than Ljubicic would get Andy #3, and one more win would get Andy above Ljubicic since he's not playing Paris I could say that. it's just a matter of where Davydenko, James, Gonzo, Mario, etc are in that mix.

Deboogle!.
11-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Davydenko beating Tursunov will put him above Andy going into Shanghai :o

revolution
11-02-2006, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't be too worried as being grouped with PMK/Ljubicic is no worse than being grouped with PMK/Nalbandian.

Plus I have a feeling Nadal won't like the court surface much.

Get Rafa, PMK and Boredo (if he makes it) and the champagne bottles can be opened. :)

tennis lover
11-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Davydenko beating Tursunov will put him above Andy going into Shanghai :o
:sad: at least he's having fun partying though! :shrug:

Deboogle!.
11-02-2006, 04:36 PM
:rolleyes:

tangerine_dream
11-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Just another reason for me to intensely dislike this Davydenko dude. :mad:

Anyhoo, now that James has lost what has to happen for him NOT to qualify for Shanghai? Does Haas have to win Paris for that to happen?

revolution
11-02-2006, 04:38 PM

Anyhoo, now that James has lost what has to happen for him NOT to qualify for Shanghai? Does Haas have to win Paris for that to happen?

Boredo losing now (which unfortunately looks unlikely) would qualify him tonight.

Ancic losing tomorrow to Davydenko would be the last hope then, if Mario wins that, then James is out.

The other scenario I think is Haas winning the whole event, but it's a long shot.

tennis lover
11-02-2006, 04:40 PM
:awww:

renee_chin
11-02-2006, 04:45 PM

Tangy, check this out: http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsandscores/news/2006/racepoints_scenarios.asp

Tytta!.
11-02-2006, 05:17 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Fumus
11-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Ubb...as long as Andy stays in the top 8 area for this rest of his career who cares...I want gs titles...07' is looking good.

blosson
11-02-2006, 06:41 PM

He is such a quiet, no personality type that I can't really dislike him. He will float arond the top 10 for some time. :shrug: :lol:

Deboogle!.
11-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Robredo just won his match, which now puts him within one win of overtaking Andy and i think it also means he and Andy can't be drawn into the same group in Shanghai :mad:

For james, if Mario wins today, James is an alternate, I believe.

revolution
11-03-2006, 04:02 PM
no Andy-Boredo match now, you're right.

Shame.

renee_chin
11-03-2006, 04:04 PM
oh man... :o

Tytta!.
11-03-2006, 04:11 PM
:o:o:o:o:o

MisterQ
11-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Robredo just won his match, which now puts him within one win of overtaking Andy and i think it also means he and Andy can't be drawn into the same group in Shanghai :mad:

For james, if Mario wins today, James is an alternate, I believe.

And if Mario loses... is it still up in the air?

(Why look things up when the Encyclopedia Debbanica is around?) ;)

Deboogle!.
11-03-2006, 04:15 PM
And if Mario loses... is it still up in the air?

(Why look things up when the Encyclopedia Debbanica is around?) ;)How funny you ask because the commentators are JUST now discussing it :lol: if Mario loses today and Haas doesn't win the title, James is in. if Mario wins today OR if Haas wins the title, James is out.

tangerine_dream
11-03-2006, 04:16 PM
How many alternates travel to Shanghai? Two?

Last year was a weird case, they had to keep players on stand-by in case somebody pulled out again. :lol:

Deboogle!.
11-03-2006, 04:18 PM
probably after what happened last year and the fact that the top 4 guys in the race going into paris pulled out, they'll have 2. so James will most likely still *go* to shanghai even if he gets bumped by Mario and/or Tommy

MisterQ
11-03-2006, 04:19 PM
How funny you ask because the commentators are JUST now discussing it :lol: if Mario loses today and Haas doesn't win the title, James is in. if Mario wins today OR if Haas wins the title, James is out.

Thank you, Debster's Dictionary. :hatoff:

revolution
11-03-2006, 04:20 PM
I think Rafa is the most at risk of dropping out.

tangerine_dream
11-03-2006, 04:22 PM
Is Rafa really that injured? I thought maybe he was just taking some extra time off to be ready for Shanghai. He couldn't make it last year so I'm sure he wants to go this year.

Deboogle!.
11-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Thank you, Debster's Dictionary. :hatoff::sobbing: you're welcome, encycloQdia:pIs Rafa really that injured? I thought maybe he was just taking some extra time off to be ready for Shanghai. He couldn't make it last year so I'm sure he wants to go this year.I'm sure he *wants* to play, but last i heard he had a small tear in a stomach muscle. Not sure what the latest news is but yea that can be pretty serious even if it's small.

tangerine_dream
11-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Thank you, Debster's Dictionary. :hatoff:
:sobbing: you're welcome, encycloQdia:p

:haha:

Deboogle!.
11-03-2006, 05:46 PM
so davydenko just won again. as the commentators said, he's gonna be james's best friend now b/c tommy haas has to win the title for him to not qualify.

but it will make it pretty hard for Andy to be ranked above Davydenko now, he'll have to do a LOT better than him at Shanghai, plus Davydenko could keep going in Paris and put on even more points.

tangerine_dream
11-03-2006, 05:52 PM
James gets a reprieve :bounce:

tennis lover
11-03-2006, 06:02 PM
looks like it's 5 or lower for Andy then. :sad:

Deboogle!.
11-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Every win at TMC is worth a lot of points, if he can put together a couple of really good wins and they don't, then it's possible. but yeah, it's unlikely :shrug:

snaillyyy
11-03-2006, 06:04 PM
After the way his year started, he is fortunate to be going at all:o

tennis lover
11-03-2006, 06:08 PM
:sad:

blosson
11-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Andy could surprise us and make the final. Well, I didn't expect him to be in the US open final so anything can happen.

tangerine_dream
11-03-2006, 06:12 PM
I agree. What are you guys so sad about? Andy's had the worst year of his career and yet he's still going to Shanghai. That's a small miracle. :bigclap:

blosson
11-03-2006, 06:18 PM
and he's classified a way before *cough* James who some consider to be the real number one player in the US. And also at the SAME time as Ljubicic who had the best year of his career. :lol:

Jimnik
11-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Well it would have been nice for Andy to be put in the same group as Robredo, but that can't happen now since they're currently 5th and 6th.

As long as he's fit and healthy, Andy should still be able to do better than Davydenko against Nadal, Nalbandian, Ljubicic, Blake and Robredo. I would definately still rate his chances, but he needs to avoid Federer in the semi-final. So as long as he wins his group, or qualifies from Federer's group, he should do very well.

MisterQ
11-03-2006, 06:29 PM
I agree. What are you guys so sad about? Andy's had the worst year of his career and yet he's still going to Shanghai. That's a small miracle. :bigclap:

Good points. :yeah:

tangerine_dream
11-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Well it would have been nice for Andy to be put in the same group as Robredo, but that can't happen now since they're currently 5th and 6th.
I must be the only one here who does NOT want Andy to be drawn into the weaker group. He really needs the tough tests and tough opponents. It will be good for his mental health to beat the likes of Nadal/Ljubicic/Nalbandian here.

It'll also be good for MTF's mental health if he were to beat Federer but we won't go there just yet. :p

J. Corwin
11-03-2006, 09:47 PM
I think I'd rather Andy be put in the same group as JesusFed so he wouldn't have to play him in the semis. But at this point I don't know if I can trust Andy to get wins against two other pretenders top 8. :p

tangerine_dream
11-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Oh dear. Haas just beat Safin. James' spot is in jeopardy again. :unsure:

cath777
11-05-2006, 10:46 PM

As long as he's fit and healthy, Andy should still be able to do better than Davydenko against Nadal, Nalbandian, Ljubicic, Blake and Robredo. I would definately still rate his chances, but he needs to avoid Federer in the semi-final. So as long as he wins his group, or qualifies from Federer's group, he should do very well.

Do the top two not get put in opposite groups then the rest are placed randomly?

Deboogle!.
11-05-2006, 10:51 PM
they're drawn in pairs.... 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, one from each pair is put in each group.....

Jimnik
11-17-2006, 08:54 PM
Blake's loss means he could still finish top American. He'll definately finish #6, whatever the result on Saturday.

tangerine_dream
11-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Won't Andy finish at #5 this year? Looking at the rankings Blake seems too far away to catch up even if he beats Nalbandian :confused:

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/rankings/

Deboogle!.
11-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Won't Andy finish at #5 this year? Looking at the rankings Blake seems too far away to catch up even if he beats Nalbandian :confused:

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/rankings/No, that top 10 right there looks updated through today - Andy picked up 20 race points for his 1 win and James picked up 40. If James were to win the semi, he gets 40 more race points. That more than overtakes Andy as James is now 17 pts back. Likewise, Nalbandian is 24 points back. So either James or Nalbandian will be above Andy at the end of the year, so it is not possible for him to end the year #5 :sad:

tangerine_dream
11-17-2006, 09:58 PM
I thought the YE rankings were based on the rankings, not the race?

Deboogle!.
11-17-2006, 10:00 PM
I thought the YE rankings were based on the rankings, not the race?At the end of the year, the entry system and the race are the same (except for those players who played challengers as those don't give race points). Entry system is just race points times 5. So just multiply everything I said by 5 and it's the same story for the rankings.

Jimnik
11-19-2006, 02:05 AM
Andy could still be seeded above Ljubicic for the AO if he doesn't defend his Chennai points. But Blake only has the Sydney points to defend.

Could Andy enter a tournament in the first week of January? It's the only way for him to get into the top 4.

MissFairy
11-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Enter a tournament in the first week of january...and leave Austin early...?! That goes against the Gospel of Andy.

Tytta!.
11-19-2006, 01:15 PM
yea, Sarah :o:o:o:o i know right :o:o:o:o

Pammy
11-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Every january Andy leaves US to play Kooyong and then Aussie Open, so he won't win any points till the first grand slam of the year.

Winston's Human
11-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Andy could still be seeded above Ljubicic for the AO if he doesn't defend his Chennai points. But Blake only has the Sydney points to defend.

Could Andy enter a tournament in the first week of January? It's the only way for him to get into the top 4.

The only tournament which could give Andy enough points to pass James would be Doha with 250 points (given the point difference between them and the points from Andy's fifth best optional tournament). He would have to win Doha. However, that would require getting past Federer.

If Ljubicic does not defend Chennai and does not play another tournament that first week, then he should fall behind both Andy and Tommy Robredo.

Deboogle!.
11-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Maybe it's just me but i'm glad Andy doesn't play week 1. I think Kooyong is the perfect warmup and it gives him another week of an off-season to work hard :)

J. Corwin
11-20-2006, 12:06 AM
you're not alone :yeah: I think the possible few extra ranking points are negligible if Andy is guaranteed three matches against top players on basically a mini AO.

Deboogle!.
11-20-2006, 12:11 AM
you're not alone :yeah: I think the possible few extra ranking points are negligible if Andy is guaranteed three matches against top players on basically a mini AO.Exactly :)

Deboogle!.
11-21-2006, 11:06 PM
The only tournament which could give Andy enough points to pass James would be Doha with 250 points (given the point difference between them and the points from Andy's fifth best optional tournament). He would have to win Doha. However, that would require getting past Federer.

If Ljubicic does not defend Chennai and does not play another tournament that first week, then he should fall behind both Andy and Tommy Robredo.The lists came out today. Ljubicic is playing Doha. Federer isn't.

williaer
11-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Maybe it's just me but i'm glad Andy doesn't play week 1. I think Kooyong is the perfect warmup and it gives him another week of an off-season to work hard :)

you're not alone :yeah: I think the possible few extra ranking points are negligible if Andy is guaranteed three matches against top players on basically a mini AO.

Ah I knew I loved you two. :p
Well said. I completely agree.

tangerine_dream
03-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Bump :wavey:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/sportsscope/2007/03/power_rankings_.html

USA TODAY's Power rankings, post-Indian Wells

Indian Wells didn't have as much impact on the power rankings as we thought, even with Roger Federer's shocking loss and Maria Sharapova's surrender of the WTA's top ranking. Champions Rafael Nadal and Daniela Hantuchova moved up, but no one took a sharp tumble. What are we going to do -- kick Federer out of the top spot for his first loss in months?

The top 10s ...

1. Roger Federer, Switzerland. Lost his 41-match winning streak to Guillermo Canas? In his first match at Indian Wells? Oh well -- he's still far ahead of the pack. Season highlights: Australian Open champion, Dubai champion. Season record: 12-1

2. Tommy Haas, Germany. Took out Fernando Gonzalez with ease before falling in epic quarterfinal tiebreaker to Andy Murray. Season highlights: Memphis champion, semis in Australian Open and Dubai. Season record: 20-4

3. Andy Roddick, United States. Beat Ivan Ljubicic in quarters, lost to Rafael Nadal in semis. Not losing to bad players but not winning any tournaments. Season highlights: Memphis runner-up, semis in Australian Open, Indian Wells and San Jose, beat Federer in Kooyong exhibition final. Season record: 18-4

4. Andy Murray, Britain. Rising and rising -- took out Nikolay Davydenko and Haas before losing to Novak Djokovic in semis. Season highlights: San Jose champion, Qatar runner-up, semis in Indian Wells and Memphis. Season record: 19-4

5. Rafael Nadal, Spain. Jumps five spots after cruising to an Indian Wells title with a drubbing of Roddick along the way. Another win will put him back on Federer's heels where he belongs. Season highlights: Indian Wells champion, Chennai (India) semifinalist, Australian Open quarterfinalist. Season record: 15-4

6. Novak Djokovic, Serbia. Welcome to the top 10, both here and in the ATP's figuring. Beat David Ferrer and Murray to reach the final against Nadal. Season highlights: Adelaide champion, Indian Wells runner-up, Rotterdam semifinalist. Season record: 18-5

7. Fernando Gonzalez, Chile. Had easy road until losing to Haas in round of 16. Season highlights: Australian Open runner-up. Season record: 11-4

8. James Blake, United States. Lost to Julien Benneteau. May have peaked in January. Season highlights: Sydney champion, Delray Beach runner-up. Season record: 14-6

9. Ivan Ljubicic, Croatia. Stays in top 10 with win over David Nalbandian before falling to Roddick in quarters. Season highlights: Qatar champion, Zagreb runner-up, Rotterdam runner-up. Season record: 17-6

10. Mikhail Youzhny, Russia. We move him up to #5 after he reaches two straight finals, and he's one and done in Indian Wells? To Jose Acasuso? Season highlights: Rotterdam champion, Dubai runner-up, Zagreb semifinalist. Season record: 18-6

Dropped out: Lleyton Hewitt, Australia. Nice win in Vegas, but you can't follow that with a one-and-done against Janko Tipsarevic.

Current ATP Top 10: Federer, Nadal, Roddick, Nikolay Davydenko (Russia), Gonzalez, Tommy Robredo (Spain), Ljubicic, Blake, Haas, Djokovic.

tangerine_dream
10-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Can somebody with a mathematical mind tell me what Andy needs to do to keep David Ferrer at bay? I'd like for Andy to end his year in the Top Five but Ferrer has been on a roll lately and he seems determined to win as many matches as he can. Right now, according to ATP site, they are separated by 42 points. And Andy just pulled out of Madrid. :o

http://i24.tinypic.com/16i9mq0.jpg

Sofyaxo
10-12-2007, 06:59 PM
I hate when guys get lazy at the end of the year because then you get other guys like Ferrer there ready to pick up the slack.

Deboogle!.
10-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I would really appreciate if Andy finished the year higher ranked than Ferrer :o But they're pretty close. So many mathematical possibilities with so many points up for grabs (way over 200) with the Masters series and Shanghai. It's impossible to say really. I guess just hope for Ferrer to lose early in Madrid? :sobbing:

GollyLou
10-12-2007, 07:08 PM
If Ferrer reaches the semis or better at Madrid he'll overtake Andy in the race. A semi would get him 469, a final 494 and a win 524. Ferrer is then playing Basel.

Both Andy and Ferrer have to reach a semi to gain points. The most Andy can end up with after Lyon is 496. The most Ferrer can gain from Basel is 38 points.

If Ferrer wins both events and Andy wins Lyon Ferrer would have 554 and Andy 496.

Obviously there's another 100 points up for grabs in Paris and 150 at the Masters Cup but Andy needs to do well (and by well, I mean semis and final) at the events he is actually playing to ensure he stays ahead of Ferrer.

tangerine_dream
Notice how Djokovic has almost twice as many points as Davydenko. There's three groups of players here: the two untouchables (Roger and Rafa), the Lone Challenger (Novak), and the Clowns (everyone else).

The top three are the only ones who can truly slack off at the end of the year.

Andy used to be one of those players. http://i23.tinypic.com/2gvuhjd.jpg

kaylee
Noooo Andy pulled out of Madrid why??????

Sofyaxo
10-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Because he's a loser.

kaylee
10-12-2007, 08:35 PM
oh thanks hahahahahha! I luv this forum!

MissFairy
10-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I would really appreciate if Andy finished the year higher ranked than Ferrer :o
This is the only acceptable option. However, the fact that it remains a possibility that he won't is :o

Notice how Djokovic has almost twice as many points as Davydenko. There's three groups of players here: the two untouchables (Roger and Rafa), the Lone Challenger (Novak), and the Clowns (everyone else).
Andy used to be one of those players. http://i23.tinypic.com/2gvuhjd.jpg
): I know the figures and everything but it still depresses me. Andy's not even leader of the Clown pack |:

Because he's a loser.
Well, yes.

tangerine_dream
10-12-2007, 11:04 PM
): I know the figures and everything but it still depresses me. Andy's not even leader of the Clown pack |:
:haha: I know! I mean, if you're to suck at least be the best at it. ;)

Maybe, if we separate the Clowns from the Mugs, he could be the leader of the Mug pack?

partygirl
10-12-2007, 11:46 PM
:( hmmpf.

Sofyaxo
10-13-2007, 12:08 AM
He's lead loser. :rocker2:

MissFairy
10-13-2007, 09:54 PM
:haha: I know! I mean, if you're to suck at least be the best at it. ;)

Maybe, if we separate the Clowns from the Mugs, he could be the leader of the Mug pack?
Yes, perhaps. But leader of the Mugs is also known by the title 'loser at life'. That's not great. d:

kaylee
10-14-2007, 01:40 AM
well it is official on tennis.com it states he pulled out because of a knee injury, when did he hurt his knee because all he has been playing is charity stuff oh maybe it was climbing on that chair that did it.

TwistedDesire.
10-14-2007, 05:13 AM
God he is so annoying.
Someone tie him to a chair until his next tournament please.

laure xxx
10-14-2007, 05:18 AM
Actually it's over 5 years in the top 10 now. [give or take a rankings plummet in 2006 :o]
Entered: 5 August, 2002.
2002 - 10
2003 - 1
2004 - 2
2005 - 3
2006 - 6
2007 - most likely finish around 5-6. 4 if he's lucky.

tangerine_dream
11-17-2008, 01:14 AM
So Andy finishes the 2008 year at No. 6, correct?

Deboogle!.
11-17-2008, 01:24 AM
#7 i believe. Tsonga won a meaningless match which gave him enough points to pass Andy. Also, it's 7 years in the top 10, no? 2002 he also finished in the top 10 :)

edit: no, andy will finish the year #8. Simon making the semis was just enough to squeak past andy. sigh.

DartMarcus
11-17-2008, 11:40 AM
if not injuries, he would have been no.6 never in doubt.

Deboogle!.
11-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Or very possibly higher. But it doesn't matter now.

kaylee
11-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Nope onwards and upwards now he just has to get a coach that he will listen to.

tangerine_dream
11-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Andy is listed at eight in the rankings.

http://i37.tinypic.com/2z3vzeu.jpg (http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/rankings/)

tangerine_dream
12-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Roger Federer + Andy Roddick have both finished in the ATP Top 10 for seven consecutive years.

Andy, the world's best worst player, sucks for another year, right alongside Roger Federer, the worst world number one ever. :worship:

http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2008news/sharkbites12.asp
In 2008, Roger Federer and Andy Roddick extended their year-end Top 10 finishes to seven consecutive years, the best among active players on the ATP World Tour. They are among 13 players to finish in the Top 10 of the South African Airways ATP Rankings at least seven straight years (since 1973). Of the group, all but three players finished the season at No. 1 during their career.

All Time Top 10 Year-End Ranking Leaders
Andre Agassi and Jimmy Connors have each finished in the Top 10 a record 16 times followed by Ivan Lendl (13) and Pete Sampras (12). In 2008, Roger Federer and Andy Roddick ended the season in the Top 10 for a seventh consecutive time. Of the 109 players who have finished in the Top 10 (since 1973), Federer and Roddick are only the 12th and 13th players to join this distinguished group:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=188182&stc=1&d=1228859514

tangerine_dream
02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Andy dethrones Roger. He is now right behind Rafa at number two in the non-existent race. :haha: