Wawrinka is WHAT? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wawrinka is WHAT?

Ernham
10-25-2006, 04:28 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/Highlights.asp?playernumber=W367

I was curious about this guy's somewhat odd name. This is what they say about it/him:

"Surname Wawrinka is of Polish decent but Wawrinka is only Polish by ancestry... Nicknamed Stan... Father, Wolfram is German, and mother, Isabelle is Swiss, both work in a biological farm, helping handicapped people... Grandparents are Czech... "

Huh?

Monteque
10-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Huh?

Yeah. HUH!!!

Welcome
Nice to meet you, Ernham :D

scarecrows
10-25-2006, 04:49 PM
he has a Maltese Dog as well

*Viva Chile*
10-25-2006, 04:53 PM
and whats the problem with that? :shrug:

Ernham
10-25-2006, 05:00 PM
and whats the problem with that? :shrug:

It makes about as much sense as jumbo shrimp.

bokehlicious
10-25-2006, 05:01 PM
http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/Highlights.asp?playernumber=W367

I was curious about this guy's somewhat odd name. This is what they say about it/him:

"Surname Wawrinka is of Polish decent but Wawrinka is only Polish by ancestry... Nicknamed Stan... Father, Wolfram is German, and mother, Isabelle is Swiss, both work in a biological farm, helping handicapped people... Grandparents are Czech... "

Huh?

He grew up in Switzerland and has a cute swiss accent, he's pure home made :)

CooCooCachoo
10-25-2006, 05:14 PM
It makes about as much sense as jumbo shrimp.

It's pretty easy to follow :lol:

Brinyi
10-25-2006, 05:27 PM
It's pretty easy to follow :lol:

Unless you don't know what "ancestry" means, I guess...

Ernham
10-25-2006, 05:37 PM
If you don't know what "ancestry" means, I guess...

Corrected your statement.

scoobs
10-25-2006, 05:49 PM
It means his surname is of Polish origin but clearly at some point his ancestors moved away from Poland as his Grandparents (paternal, we assume) are Czech, but at some point moved to Germany - his father is therefore German and his mother is Swiss - his father and mother settled in Switzerland and so he's Swiss.

Very nicely distributed genes, in my opinion :)

NATAS81
10-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Jumbo shrimp is awesome.

bokehlicious
10-25-2006, 05:51 PM
And what is the TRUE pronounciation of his surname (Wawrinka)

1 Vah - Vrin -ka
2 Vah - Rin - ka

:confused:

:)

NATAS81
10-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Vah-vreen-kuh.

PoderShileno
10-25-2006, 05:55 PM
:haha:

artlinkletter
10-25-2006, 05:58 PM
It means his surname is of Polish origin but clearly at some point his ancestors moved away from Poland as his Grandparents (paternal, we assume) are Czech, but at some point moved to Germany - his father is therefore German and his mother is Swiss - his father and mother settled in Switzerland and so he's Swiss.

Very nicely distributed genes, in my opinion :)
Or his father met his mother in Switerland.

Ernham
10-25-2006, 06:15 PM
My guess is this is what it should REALLY read.

"Surname Wawrinka is of Polish de(s)cent, but Wawrinka is (not
actually) Polish by ancestry... Nicknamed Stan... Father, Wolfram is German, and mother, Isabelle is Swiss, both work in a biological farm, helping handicapped people... (Paternal) grandparents (are ethnic Germans from the) Czech rep... "

tennisgal_001
10-25-2006, 06:30 PM

actually) Polish by ancestry... Nicknamed Stan... Father, Wolfram is German, and mother, Isabelle is Swiss, both work in a biological farm, helping handicapped people... (Paternal) grandparents (are ethnic Germans from the) Czech rep... "

:rolleyes:

Ernham
10-25-2006, 06:35 PM
:rolleyes:

:confused: It's the most likely scenario. The phrasing is so bad that it sounds like it was written by someone with poor english.

"Surname Wawrinka is of Polish "decent", BUT he is only Polish by Ancestry."

That is so poorly written and makes so little sense that it is astounding.

stebs
10-25-2006, 06:36 PM
:confused: It's the most likely scenario. The phrasing is so bad that it sounds like it was written by someone with poor english.

Made perfect sense to me. Maybe it won't win any awards for English but it doesn't have to, seems to me that almost everyone on here had no trouble understanding it.

CooCooCachoo
10-25-2006, 06:38 PM

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=descent&x=0&y=0

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ancestry&x=0&y=0

I sure hope those definitions will help you :)

Wojtek
10-25-2006, 06:42 PM
He's name is almost polish :p

He's Stanislas - my father is Stanislaw ( normal name in Poland)

Ernham
10-25-2006, 06:56 PM
There is another possibility, too. His mother is actually ethnically Polish and from the czech repub, while his father is German. The elipses mean that they pulled the data from somewhere else; they are not complete statements and were probably better qualified before being butchered.

Most likely his Czech grandparents being referred to were either German or Polish Czechs, though. Given the history of that area and the odd wording regarding "decent"/ancestry, what I said is the most lkely scenario. Someone copy edited an interview from some other language poorly, most likely. Then they wrote it with poor English to boot.

PamV
10-25-2006, 07:03 PM

Huh?

All it means is that his ancestors with the surname Wawrinka originated in Poland but that his father was born in Germany and his mother was born in Switzerland.

ufokart
10-25-2006, 07:07 PM
Wow, a thread about nothing. That's difficult to find :rolleyes: :lol:

Ernham
10-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Wow, a thread about nothing. That's difficult to find :rolleyes: :lol:

I suspect you are the expert on nothing, and would know best.:wavey:

its.like.that
10-25-2006, 07:13 PM
delete this mods

Ernham
10-25-2006, 07:19 PM
delete this mods

You tell 'em, boss!

PamV
10-25-2006, 08:21 PM

The way you write it changes the meaning. Wawrinka IS of Polish ancestry. Why would you say (not actually) ??? It's not confusing at all the way it is originally written. Wawrinka's ancestors (in what generation we don't know).....came from Poland. What's so confusing about that. The name sounds obviously Polish and not strange at all.

Ernham
10-25-2006, 08:37 PM
The way you write it changes the meaning. Wawrinka IS of Polish ancestry. Why would you say (not actually) ???

Because the person that wrote that appears to not understand what "ancestry" is and what "descent" means. When speaking of genealogy, they are essentially the same, which makes the sentence written extremelyredundant. On top of being redundant, they use the conjuction of "but", which usually presents a clause that is somewhat contrary to what was said in the previous clause.

a bit more of a demonstration, just in case...

If you say someone is "of polish ancestry" and someone is of "polish descent", you are saying exactly thesame thing. And even if you were beign redundant accidently, you surely would not connect the statements with "but", becaue one implies the other. In a worst case scenario you would use the word and.

It all smells of really bad copy editing of an interview he probably gave.( most likely in the editor's 2nd or third language)

It's not confusing at all the way it is originally written. Wawrinka's ancestors (in what generation we don't know).....came from Poland. What's so confusing about that. The name sounds obviously Polish and not strange at all.

1. The name doesn't sound all that Polish, actually, though it does sound Slavic.
2. There are tons of people that are not at all Polish that have names that many genealogy books would list as being "polish" in origins in places like Germany/Czech rep/Austria.

TNX1.0E6TOPCA
10-25-2006, 09:23 PM
more about Stan:
born March 28, 1985 in Lausanne
residence: Saint-Barthélémy *Canton de Vaud like me* :cool:
1.84 m 79 kg
single ;)
hobbies: movies, music and... shopping :p
family: Wolfram, his dad (German with Czech roots) his mother is Isabelle (Swiss) bro Johnatan, 2 *li'l* sis Danaee and Naella
coach and manager: the brothers Dimitri and Grégory Zavialoff
Stan is friend on the circuit with Christophe Rochus

Voo de Mar
10-25-2006, 09:35 PM
"Surname Wawrinka is of Polish decent but Wawrinka is only Polish by ancestry...

In Poland don't live any person with surname "Wawrinka" but... lives 21 people with surname "Wawrynko". Maybe relatives? ;)
Wawrinka is a very weak tie-break player - 17-34 in career, including 7-18 in this season.

Ernham
10-25-2006, 09:41 PM
"Wolfram, his dad (German with Czech roots) "

Hey, imagine that. That's just what I predicted. But where did you get that?

bokehlicious
10-26-2006, 08:17 AM
more about Stan:
born March 28, 1985 in Lausanne
residence: Saint-Barthélémy *Canton de Vaud like me* :cool:
1.84 m 79 kg
single ;)
hobbies: movies, music and... shopping :p
family: Wolfram, his dad (German with Czech roots) his mother is Isabelle (Swiss) bro Johnatan, 2 *li'l* sis Danaee and Naella
coach and manager: the brothers Dimitri and Grégory Zavialoff
Stan is friend on the circuit with Christophe Rochus

He's not married indeed, but he's dating Hillam (spelling :confused: ) an ex TSR speakerin :inlove: