Which one is harder for Rafa? Beating Blake or beating Berdych? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which one is harder for Rafa? Beating Blake or beating Berdych?

konyalikartal
10-25-2006, 11:04 AM
I think Rafa has some problems with B's:) According to me when he learns how to beat these two guys things will be harder for Federer!!! Because playing styles of these people are a little bit rough for Rafa to handle on hardcourts. (strong flat forehands and strong services etc.) Up to this point he chose to play defensively against them but he saw that this wasn't the solution. I didn't watch Madrid Masters but I read in the posts that he started to play a more offensive and suitable game for hardcourts and his serve was good. In most of the posts people told that Rafa was playing good. So we can say that Rafa is gradually improving his style of play at the hardcourts. I think at the end of this period Rafa will be a more complete player.
I want to know opinions about the topic that who will be harder for Rafa to beat? Blake or Berdych? Because the style of these two men are different. Blake's forehand is better than Berdych but the Berdych's serve is better than Blake. Which will take more time for Rafa to adjust his game for hardcourts?

Action Jackson
10-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Beating an egg to put in an omelette.

Ernham
10-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Nadal has problems beating any tall players with lots of power, mostly because his topspin actually kicks the ball up into the ideal power strike zone for them. Blake is basically a copy of Nadal minus the top-spin and overall stamina but plus a cleaner/stronger forehand. Not sure about that one.

bandabou
10-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Both of them...Blake has too much firepower off the ground, that forehand is huge..and Berdych has a good serve and is so tall that Nadal's spins don't bother him. Gonna be interesting how he adapts.

oz_boz
10-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Berdych is probably harder to beat at his best, but he is also more likely to do a sub-par performance.

Ernham
10-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Both of them...Blake has too much firepower off the ground, that forehand is huge..

Hmm. And Federer's forehand is chop-liver? Nah. I think it's more complex than that.

bandabou
10-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Hmm. And Federer's forehand is chop-liver? Nah. I think it's more complex than that.

Nope..it's the flatness of the forehand. Roger doesn't hit flat..

TennisGrandSlam
10-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Both

Why Nadal usually win Federer, because Federer seldom use flat (Blake is very strong in flat), but always use back spin to return Nada's ball. Also Federer's 1st serve is not powerful and lower successful rate (Berdych do well in 1st serve) .

Wannabeknowitall
10-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Berdych.
I think Berdych could beat Nadal on any surface while Blake would have issues on his two weakest surfaces, clay and grass.

WF4EVER
10-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Blake would be harder to beat. I think it would be easier to beat Berdych if he can handle the shots and try to exploit Berdych's lack of movement. Not that he can't move but he actually reminds me of Lindsay Davenport, although not as bad.

Like bandabou said, too much firepower from Blake because I don't consider Blake's height to be of particular significance where Nadal's spins are concerned but he hits the ball flat and he hits it hard and that's what hurts Nadal the most on a fast court.

scoobs
10-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Berdych can handle the amount of spin Rafa puts on the ball much more easily due to his height and can just smack the ball flat and deep off it with reckless abandon.

stebs
10-25-2006, 02:06 PM
To be honest there comes a time in every match where Nadal is under pressure that he tries to step up his intensity and play really hard. Watch defeats he has suffered this year. In almost all of them his opponent has to stop this from overcoming him. Three very good examples:

1 - vs. Federer in Dubai - In this match it worked, he hit a few great passing shots, Federer got tight and it worked in both of the sets Nadal won.

2 - vs. Federer in Wimbledon - In this match there were a few times Nadal tried it. It worked at the beggining of the second but Rafa was really playing his best tennis in the first game of the fourth, it was an onslought of great power and control. Federer handled it and it hurt Nadal that Federer was able to do this, for me that was the pivitol game of that match.

3 - vs. Berdych in Madrid - The crowd were on his back and Rafa had started to play as well as he can on hardcourts. It was hard to win a single point at that stage but a few aces and some huge hitting got Berdych out of that patch and into a breaker where we all know what happened.

In my opinion Berdych should be better suited to beating Rafa because Blake is far more likely to crumble at these times than Berdych.

RonE
10-25-2006, 03:03 PM
I think Rafa has some problems with B's:)

Very true that, but neither Berdych not Blake are anywhere near as tough for him to beat as the Banana.

Fumus
10-25-2006, 03:34 PM
I think on a slower surface both are easy for Nadal.

oz_boz
10-25-2006, 03:38 PM
I think on a slower surface both are easy for Nadal.

Hold your horses - Berdych was pretty close in Båstad.

Fumus
10-25-2006, 03:39 PM
Hold your horses - Berdych was pretty close in Båstad.

Right sorry I forgot Thomas was a clay court god.

oz_boz
10-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Right sorry I forgot Thomas was a clay court god.

If you say so.

Anyway, I think Berdych has a chance against Rafa even on clay, thanks to his game and some mental edge from the h2h.

I somehow doubt Blake can come up with such a big win on the dirt. I know he took out Almagro in RG but that's not enough to convince me.

mrserenawilliams
10-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Blake, because everything Rafa does, Blake does just as well. Tomas goes for too much and that can tend to be deadly.