So how does this Round Robin thing work anyway? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

So how does this Round Robin thing work anyway?

The Pro
10-25-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm sure I could traipse around and find out, but surely there's an expert who'd tell me themselves.

Especially for the bigger tournaments, how would that work?

scarecrows
10-25-2006, 10:59 AM
The Pro, did you watch the World Cup this year?

that's how Round Robin works

PamV
10-25-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm sure I could traipse around and find out, but surely there's an expert who'd tell me themselves.

Especially for the bigger tournaments, how would that work?

For the TMC:

1) Two groups of 3 players each one is Gold group the other is Red group.

2) The 3 players inside of each group will play each other and a tally is kept of number of match wins and number of sets won. Within each group a group winner and second place winner is establised.

3) The Gold group winner plays SF match against the Red Group second place winner. The Red group winner plays a SF match against the Gold group second place winner.

4) Which ever two players win their SF matches go on to play in the Final.

With this system it is possible that two players from the Gold group could be in the final or vice versa. Last year Federer and Nalbandian were both in the same group and Roger had beaten Nalbandian within their group play. Roger was the group winner and Nalbandian was the group second place winner. Then in the final Nalbandian won. However, I think that Roger might have actually won more sets overall in the tournament.

oz_boz
10-25-2006, 01:20 PM
It works this way:

If Federer is in good form going into a tournament, he wins all matches and the whole tournament.

If Federer's form is not good, he loses one or two matches and wins the whole tournament.

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

Kip
10-25-2006, 01:25 PM
It works this way:

If Federer is in good form going into a tournament, he wins all matches and the whole tournament.

If Federer's form is not good, he loses one or two matches and wins the whole tournament.

Not like it isn't true. ;)

DDrago2
10-25-2006, 01:27 PM
I think he ment for the bigger tournaments, not for TMC. I also wonder how it will function with 16 groups? Too many maybe? How many macthes more will be played compared to knock-out system?

Action Jackson
10-25-2006, 02:27 PM
It works this way:

Change that scenario to clay and you have Nadal.

oz_boz
10-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Change that scenario to clay and you have Nadal.

It was too obvious to mention.

Fumus
10-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Round robin is dumb. I like the idea that anything can happen and upsets mean less in round robin formats.