Safin-"Peter is a good friend...I still love him" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Safin-"Peter is a good friend...I still love him"

SLICK
10-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Marat spoke movingly after his defeat today about his friend and ex-coach Peter Lungren who he says he still has a good relationship with.
http://www.inside-tennis.net/index.php?action=news&id=2173

MisterQ
10-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Nice comments from Marat. :)

the cat
10-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Yes Safin said nice things about Lundgren. I wish Peter was still Marat's coach. The question now is can Marat become an elite player again and shake off his journeyman results from this year?

Tennis Fool
10-24-2006, 11:35 PM
I wonder why the relationship didn't work?

darrinbaker00
10-24-2006, 11:52 PM
I wonder why the relationship didn't work?
For some strange reason, Lundgren expected Safin to put tennis before booty calls. What was he thinking? ;)

SLICK
10-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Marat doesn't believe that Kafelnikov would be a suitable replacement for Lundgren.
"No,no,no. (laughing) Too much."
At least his poker would improve if not his game or his ranking.:lol:
http://www.inside-tennis.net/index.php?action=news&id=2173

PahelWaske
10-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Marat urgently needs a *decent* coach:rolleyes:

SLICK
10-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Maybe Darren Cahill is one of the coaches on Marat's mind. He's available, pretty cool and has the credentials to help him get back into the top 10. We shall see.

Action Jackson
10-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Marat urgently needs a *decent* coach:rolleyes:

He has only had 5 good ones already.

MariaV
10-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Maybe Darren Cahill is one of the coaches on Marat's mind. He's available, pretty cool and has the credentials to help him get back into the top 10. We shall see.
Cahill is working with Flip right now and I doubt he'd like to work with Marat.

PahelWaske
10-25-2006, 11:55 AM
He has only had 5 good ones already.

Without a coach he's a journeyman as we've all come to realize this year, with a 6th good coach he might turn into a real contender again. He'd have a realistic chance to do so at least, since he undoubtedly still has the weapons.

MariaV
10-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Without a coach he's a journeyman as we've all come to realize this year, with a 6th good coach he might turn into a real contender again. He'd have a realistic chance to do so at least, since he undoubtedly still has the weapons.

As long as Volkov agrees to go with him to the GS and Masters tourneys next year, he'll be OK. That's what he said.

SLICK
10-25-2006, 11:59 AM

He's the most outstanding "Journeyman" I've ever seen.:p

Action Jackson
10-25-2006, 12:01 PM

Journeymen don't win 2 Slams and why don't people get it. It's not the coach that wins matches, it's the players, but it's always the coach that loses them and never the players.

SLICK
10-25-2006, 12:02 PM
As long as Volkov agrees to go with him to the GS and Masters tourneys next year, he'll be OK. That's what he said.

Marat wants a coach that will help him remove the holes in his game and assist his rise back to the top 10. I think Cahill would work with Marat at the right price if he made himself available - why wouldn't he?

Action Jackson
10-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Marat wants a coach that will help him remove the holes in his game and assist his rise back to the top 10. I think Cahill would work with Marat at the right price if he made himself available - why wouldn't he?

Cahill is no better than Lundgren. What it comes down is to mostly Safin and not the coaches.

DrJules
10-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Cahill is no better than Lundgren. What it comes down is to mostly Safin and not the coaches.

Safin probably requires a sports psychologist more than a coach.

Action Jackson
10-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Safin probably requires a sports psychologist more than a coach.

He'd come out worse than before he went in.

DrJules
10-25-2006, 12:24 PM
He'd come out worse than before he went in.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

MariaV
10-25-2006, 12:34 PM

I don't think Marat is ready to give out enough dough for Cahill.
And Cahill hasn't exactly lack of offers.

SLICK
10-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Maybe Peter will be his long distance consultant until he finds somebody else.
So good that they are still buddies.

MisterQ
10-25-2006, 03:02 PM
I don't think Marat is ready to give out enough dough for Cahill.
And Cahill hasn't exactly lack of offers.

Who else has put in offers for Cahill? (at least, to the extent that we can know...) :)

marifline
10-25-2006, 03:38 PM
As I am almost parisian and going to Bercy next week, I'm very glad he sais it was probably his favourite tournament :)

mrserenawilliams
10-25-2006, 03:50 PM
he's so sweet

SLICK
10-25-2006, 04:56 PM
he's so sweet

Yeah, I agree. A very tender soul.

MarieS
10-25-2006, 05:11 PM

Guess who his coach was at the 2004 AO? Not having a coach is not the reason he's struggling this year. And he's struggled before under great coaches, so :shrug:.

Metis
10-25-2006, 05:21 PM
:confused: Wasn't he with Lundgren until mid summer? And didn't he start doing better after they split?

SLICK
10-25-2006, 07:35 PM
:confused: Wasn't he with Lundgren until mid summer? And didn't he start doing better after they split?

Marat is a law unto himself; there is no point trying to figure him out.

chicky841
10-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Im a little sad that they split but Im happy that they still get along. I really liked Peter so its good that him and Marat are still friendly. Very nice words from Marat :)

SLICK
10-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Like Marat said "business-wise things didn't work out" but their friendship is based on much more than that. At least they did enjoy some great success together (Madrid and Paris Masters 04 and AO 05) before injuries began to take their toll.

Monteque
10-26-2006, 12:58 PM
I still love him

That's normal between ex-coach and a player.:angel:

SLICK
10-26-2006, 02:38 PM
That's normal between ex-coach and a player.:angel:

Yeah like Roddick and Gilbert you mean.:confused:

SLICK
10-29-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm really hoping for a good draw next week. Next week is my tournament, my favourite tournament probably. I will be playing much better, but I need to have a good draw."
Safin's prayers have been answered. He plays Nicolas Mahut instead of Clement. Safin v Nadal bring it on!

SLICK
10-29-2006, 04:32 PM
:mad: No Nadal. Soderling will probably be tougher for him.