Scott Draper in PGA Q School [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Scott Draper in PGA Q School

Pigpen Stinks
10-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Draper begins play today at the Cypresswood Golf Club in Texas in the PGA Tour's first stage of qualifying school. Generally, you need to finish in the top 20 in each of the first two stages of Q school to advance to the final stage. The first two stages are 4 rounds of play, and usually have about 80 golfers at each qualifying site. The final stage has something like 160 golfers competing over 6 rounds for 35 spots (plus ties) on the PGA Tour, with the other players earning at least conditional status on the Nationwide Tour, which is like the minor league for the PGA Tour over here.

I heard Draper was playing some on the Australian Tour this year. No idea if he had any success. Anyway, the 100th ranked player on the PGA Tour this year (isn't that about what Draper was ranked in tennis?) will earn about $850,000 in prize money. It looks like the #100 player on the ATP money list will make about $230,000. Golf's prize money has increased drastically in recent years. I heard it has something to do with some guy named Tiger.

You can track Draper's progress at the pgatour.com website.

CooCooCachoo
10-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Good luck :yeah:

On the ATP, Scott was ranked in the Top 50 ;) But :eek: at that difference in prize money. I really didn't know that and it comes as a shock as well. I can't understand tennis is losing out to golf in popularity (I am inferring higher prize money has to do with differences in popularity).

Pigpen Stinks
10-24-2006, 10:15 PM
Well, the main reason is the huge TV deals that the PGA Tour has over here. Golf is on network tv almost every weekend, and even though the ratings aren't very high, the advertisers like the fact that the audience tends to be wealthy.

Pigpen Stinks
10-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Not a terrible start. He shot a 2 over par 74 today with 4 birdies and 6 bogeys. He's in the middle of the pack through one round, and 3 shots off the projected cut line to make it to the 2nd stage.

ExcaliburII
10-25-2006, 12:28 AM
nice experience for scott. I hope some day i will be playing there :D

aussie_fan
10-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Didn't realize he was giving the PGA Tour a go this year. Wish him the best of luck but he will struggle to make it.

the cat
10-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Good luck to Scott Draper. No one has ever played professional tennis and professional golf before so I hope he's the first.

Pigpen Stinks
10-26-2006, 03:44 AM
Draper bounced back with a 4 under par 68 today, with 6 birdies and 2 bogeys, and now stands 1 stroke clear of the cut line for the 2nd stage. Keep it up Scott, it would be quite a story.

aussie_fan
10-26-2006, 04:57 AM
Draper bounced back with a 4 under par 68 today, with 6 birdies and 2 bogeys, and now stands 1 stroke clear of the cut line for the 2nd stage. Keep it up Scott, it would be quite a story.

It would be quite a story if he is able to get through this first stage, well done scott, keep it up!

its.like.that
10-26-2006, 11:21 AM
move this to non-tennis please mods

:o

bad gambler
10-26-2006, 11:27 AM
GL to him, he has done it tough personally in the last few years.

Ernham
10-26-2006, 11:34 AM
If James Blake was number one with a bullet and dominated like Roger is right now, the shoe might be on the other foot.

scoobs
10-26-2006, 02:10 PM
How on earth do Golfers earn so much?

Who actually watches Golf anyway?

And more importantly - why?