_~~_Federer wants Basel badly!! Losses in the 2000 & 01 finals hurt-> emotional wreck [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

_~~_Federer wants Basel badly!! Losses in the 2000 & 01 finals hurt-> emotional wreck

CmonAussie
10-24-2006, 11:08 AM
:sad:
Guys I found this on the Fed forum & I thought some others might be interested to see Federer at his seemingly most vulnerable:eek: .. Losses like this one to Henman in the 2001 Basel final show that Roger`s tears in victory bare witness to the hard work he`s done on his game->> he used to get teary from the losses:sad: :angel:

I believe those tough losses made him stronger because he grew to detest failure & losing with the finishing line in sight:cool: . Hence he`s become so dominant in finals ever since:worship: ~ he`s learned how to channel his focus;)

Here`s the link:

http://helix-v4.sri.ch/ramgen/sfdrs/vod/sport/2006/10/450k/te_federer_basel.rm

Action Jackson
10-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Hmm, that loss to Hewitt in the 2003 Davis Cup in Melbourne when he was killing him, that was a more important turning point and winning the TMC that year without losing a match.

Fed gets emotional now and then, that is surprising.

Action Jackson
10-24-2006, 11:13 AM
The fact is Federer used to be a ballboy at the event and supports the local football team, it's only natural he wants to win this event in particular.

CmonAussie
10-24-2006, 11:23 AM
The fact is Federer used to be a ballboy at the event and supports the local football team, it's only natural he wants to win this event in particular.
:wavey:
Did you watch the video?? It really looked like Henman dominated Federer don`t you think:eek: :confused: ... Amazing what a difference a few years can make;) .
Apart from the mental side how much of Roger`s present dominance would you put down to his improved technical game??

Jaffas85
10-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Ha, he practically looked like Amelie Mauresmo back then.

Didn't he have to cut his hair short in early 04' at the behest of sponsors?

Action Jackson
10-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Did you watch the video?? It really looked like Henman dominated Federer don`t you think:eek: :confused: ... Amazing what a difference a few years can make;) .
Apart from the mental side how much of Roger`s present dominance would you put down to his improved technical game??

Henman, Hewitt and Nalbandian all had it over him then, but as you said things change.

He improved his backhand, everything else was there. It takes longer for some games to hit their peak, plus he learnt excellent defensive skills on faster surfaces.

scoobs
10-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Federer pulled his game together since then and found solutions to the problems players like Henman and Nalbandian were able to pose.

I think those two finals were too soon for him - clearly he wasn't emotionally quite ready to handle the situation.

This year I think it will be his.

bad gambler
10-24-2006, 11:44 AM
The 2000 Final was quality tennis from Enqvist

Fed-Express
10-24-2006, 12:19 PM
That is how a home crowd should support their player :lol:
But it was interesting to watch these scenes again, in hindsight it is amazing what he has achieved during the last years. I wonder whether he will cry next Sunday should he win in Basel.

avocadoe
10-24-2006, 12:29 PM
I hope he can and will win Basel this week and feel something special. Not that he is short of special moments, but this one would be sweet. That 2003 Wimbledon turned his mind around. After that he began to believe more and more in himself and be able to use what he had, improve fitness levels, and get better on defense and offense.

disturb3d
10-24-2006, 12:31 PM
this year it will be hisBold statement.
Any evidence with which to back your claims?

FSRteam
10-24-2006, 01:05 PM

This tournament is his home town tournament!!!

FSRteam
10-24-2006, 01:09 PM

I think you could already see he was/is a shot maker!

The ball between the legs as well as some volleys were just :worship: !

One thing we can notice is his shape was not as good as now. He is faster now!

Action Jackson
10-24-2006, 01:14 PM
This tournament is his home town tournament!!!

Did you I had forgotten that? I made more than enough references to it.:)

FSRteam
10-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Did you I had forgotten that? I made more than enough references to it.:)

I don't know but I thought you said that he wants this tournament just because he was a ballboy there and he supports the football team! The reason is just plain simple. It is in the town he grew up, where almost all his friends and family are from and live. :)

scoobs
10-24-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure why the words "emotional wreck" are in the title?

Do a few tears of disappointment make you an emotional wreck now?

Or is there evidence that for weeks afterwards he didn't wash and spent all his time in Krispy Kreme?

Action Jackson
10-24-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't know but I thought you said that he wants this tournament just because he was a ballboy there and he supports the football team! The reason is just plain simple. It is in the town he grew up, where almost all his friends and family are from and live. :)

He is actually not from Basel city, but that is just semantics or did I need to make it more obvious.:)

FSRteam
10-24-2006, 01:27 PM
He is actually not from Basel city, but that is just semantics or did I need to make it more obvious.:)

Anyway, I just wanted to stress the fact he feels at home there! :)

Corey Feldman
10-24-2006, 03:18 PM
yeah tough losses to enqvist and henman and semi loss to Nalbi as well hurt.
Henman's 2 titles here are not bad.. who did he beat in finals? Agassi and Federer :) yet choked his arse off in a final v the old cat's pupil, Kucera.

give us another fed/henman final this week please.

case
10-24-2006, 05:04 PM
Anyway, I just wanted to stress the fact he feels at home there! :)

Where is his actual home? If rog wanted this so much why doesnt he play there more often? i doubt if hes a wreck:rolleyes:

its.like.that
10-24-2006, 05:54 PM
lol

NYCtennisfan
10-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Henman, Hewitt and Nalbandian all had it over him then, but as you said things change.

He improved his backhand, everything else was there. It takes longer for some games to hit their peak, plus he learnt excellent defensive skills on faster surfaces.

Spot on. He moved a bit further back during the rallies and doesn't get caught in awkward positions anymore. He used to be very susceptible to the FH CC since he would run around the BH to try and hit a good FH inside out. Henman did this to him all the time. Now he waits for a good opportunity for the FH, can slice the deep shots to the BH back into neutral positions on the other side, attack with BH if needed, and so on. He also stopped serving and volleying which gave Hewitt and Nalbandian to win the point on one or two shots and let Federer use his entire game to impose his will. Staying back has also helped him with his rhythm.

RonE
10-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Where is his actual home?

Oberwil.

Peoples
10-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Idiotic topic title

CmonAussie
10-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Idiotic topic title
That`s a bit harsh:rolleyes: ..

Actually I`ve been converted to being a big fan of Roger`s:worship: !

Especially I love it when he cries:sad: ~> so rare in today`s macho world:devil:

Eden
10-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Especially I love it when he cries:sad: ~> so rare in today`s macho world:devil:

For some people men who cry might be sissy, but I don't see anything wrong in showing emotions.

I think it is special for all the players to competete in their hometown and winning the trophy there must be something really nice.
I remember when Michael Stich won the tournament in Hamburg. He cried and said in his speech that he visited the tournament when he was young and always wanted to win it.

CmonAussie
10-25-2006, 06:35 AM
I'm not sure why the words "emotional wreck" are in the title?
Do a few tears of disappointment make you an emotional wreck now?

Or is there evidence that for weeks afterwards he didn't wash and spent all his time in Krispy Kreme?
Okay I`ll admit that was a bit sly of me:devil: !.. Basically I was just doing what most people on MTF do & what most journalists do>> & that`s use an attention grabbing headline;)
However I`ve mentioned a few times now that I`m a fan of Fed`s:angel: ~>> and his crying whether he wins or losses shows how much he cares & that`s cool:cool: :sad: