Andy Murray
Marat Safin

AAMI tried calling Lleyton, but he refused

Eta: Sorry found this in the Exhibition Forums. -_-
Anyone who would want to delete it, please do -_-
Sorry

tripb19
10-24-2006, 07:54 AM
I'm going to go and ask Radek Stepanek to sign my lips and watch how he reacts.

Halba
10-24-2006, 08:37 AM
is lleyton retired now?

CmonAussie
10-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Kooyong names:
Roger Federer
David Nalbandian
Ivan Ljubijic
Andy Roddick
Tommy Haas
Radek Stepanek
Andy Murray
Marat Safin

AAMI tried calling Lleyton, but he refused

Eta: Sorry found this in the Exhibition Forums. -_-
Anyone who would want to delete it, please do -_-
Sorry
:wavey:
They should make the Kooyong Classic an ATP event & they can use it to trial the RR format:cool:
Every year I`m amazed how Kooyong manages to pull bigger names than Sydney, Auckland, Chennai, Adelaide & Doha combined;) ...
>> This year the field was stronger than last year`s TMC & 2007 looks like being another ripper, pearler, bottler:p

PS. Hewitt never plays there because he prefers to win the Sydney event as a fair dinkum warmup for AO~>> though it probably tires him too much leading into his home GS:sad:

yanchr
10-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Every year I`m amazed how Kooyong manages to pull bigger names than Sydney, Auckland, Chennai, Adelaide & Doha combined;) ...
Because it is Kooyong, an exhibition, not an ATP event ;)

It's really a great field. I'm definitely thinking of going...:D

Action Jackson
10-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Good to know the field for Kooyong. It just makes going to the qualies more attractive.

CooCooCachoo
10-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Good field, but I would not be interested in going.

mrserenawilliams
10-24-2006, 09:20 AM
that's an amazing field. Blake should be there instead of Radek though, but hey it's up to the tournament directors

leng jai
10-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Kooyong has always had excellent fields. What makes it even better is that you are guranteed to see your favourites more than once.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
10-24-2006, 11:13 AM
I thought Nadal will join this too before! :eek:

aussie_fan
10-24-2006, 12:08 PM
great field but not a fan of exhibtion events so i couldn't really care.

*Viva Chile*
10-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Gonzo said to chilean press that he would like to play in Kooyong :shrug:

Action Jackson
10-24-2006, 12:38 PM

They love him in Auckland.

Peta Pan
10-24-2006, 12:47 PM
I MAY go. Depends on whether I can get my rostered day off switched from the Tuesday to the Wednesday. My holidays officially start on the Thursday for the qualies. I would never go to a day of Kooyong ahead of a day of qualies.

Kristen
10-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Awesome! Usually someone I like is there, but not this time. Now, for the Sydney field....

*Imagining Ljubo vs Murray, with Peta spectating. :hug: *

Kat!
10-24-2006, 01:37 PM
That is a great field I must say, doesn't make going to quallies (or Sydney!) less attractive though ;)

I'm a little disappointed Safin won't be in Sydney though :lol:

Kinetix
10-24-2006, 01:45 PM
Nice list again :)

Xristos
10-24-2006, 03:03 PM
I wish Nadal was here....Good to meet Marat tho.

Roger The Great
10-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Kooyong is a great tune up for the players but still just an exo. I remember the big deal this year when Tommy beat Roger. Didn't turn out to mean much. :)

Deboogle!.
10-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Every year I`m amazed how Kooyong manages to pull bigger names than Sydney, Auckland, Chennai, Adelaide & Doha combined;) ...Well now, that'$ an ea$y que$tion to an$wer ;)

CmonAussie
10-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Well now, that'$ an ea$y que$tion to an$wer ;)
:p ~ I don`t think it`s about the bottom line $$$:eek: .. The Kooyong sponsor AAMI probably has less money to throw around than those other tourneys I menioned;) .. If anything it`s got to do with location, location, location:cool: ! Kooyong is a 20-minute ride by car from Rod Laver Arena~ so considering it`s the week before AO...;)

its.like.that
10-24-2006, 05:00 PM
is lleyton retired now?

Not officially.

But yes he is.

Blue Heart24
10-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Good field

Peoples
10-24-2006, 06:33 PM

Thunderlips seduced the tournament directors it seems :shrug:

Deboogle!.
10-24-2006, 06:36 PM
:p ~ I don`t think it`s about the bottom line $$$:eek: .. The Kooyong sponsor AAMI probably has less money to throw around than those other tourneys I menioned;) .. If anything it`s got to do with location, location, location:cool: ! Kooyong is a 20-minute ride by car from Rod Laver Arena~ so considering it`s the week before AO...;)I'm sure the location helps, because these guys practice at Melbourne Park during the week and the climate/conditions are basically the same, and i'm sure the 3 guaranteed matches help too, but it is definitely about money. These guys don't show up for free ;)

from this article: http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis/worlds-best-at-kooyong-but-nary-a-local-in-sight/2006/10/24/1161455721899.html

Hewitt, who seeks a similar appearance fee to the likes of Federer and popular American drawcard Andy Roddick, has since agreed to return to the Sydney International, the official ATP tournament that is played at the same time as Kooyong and which will feature world No. 2 Rafael Nadal.

"We always do Lleyton the courtesy of a phone call and, look, we've got a finite budget down here and when people who've supported you on a regular basis and supported you well put their hand up early in the year, like Federer and Roddick did, it doesn't leave a lot of money in the kick," Stubs said.

Via
10-25-2006, 12:27 AM
That is a great field I must say, doesn't make going to quallies (or Sydney!) less attractive though ;)

I'm a little disappointed Safin won't be in Sydney though :lol:

i agree, for me it's just safin i'll miss in sydney. i don't expect to see fed again for a long time any way.

i wish they had taken hewitt instead :tape:

so you're going to sydney and melbourne? :cool:

Via
10-25-2006, 12:36 AM
I'm sure the location helps, because these guys practice at Melbourne Park during the week and the climate/conditions are basically the same, and i'm sure the 3 guaranteed matches help too, but it is definitely about money. These guys don't show up for free ;)

from this article: http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis/worlds-best-at-kooyong-but-nary-a-local-in-sight/2006/10/24/1161455721899.html

Hewitt, who seeks a similar appearance fee to the likes of Federer and popular American drawcard Andy Roddick, has since agreed to return to the Sydney International, the official ATP tournament that is played at the same time as Kooyong and which will feature world No. 2 Rafael Nadal.

"We always do Lleyton the courtesy of a phone call and, look, we've got a finite budget down here and when people who've supported you on a regular basis and supported you well put their hand up early in the year, like Federer and Roddick did, it doesn't leave a lot of money in the kick," Stubs said.

it's all part of the negotiation... tournaments like to cry poor and players want to grab more :lol: but i think kooyong is cool not to bow to hewitt's demand for federer-like money but based it on rankings instead. i don't like the idea that a rich exhibition must feature a token local player. they should justify with their results why they deserve the appearance.

that said, what is marat getting? :tape:

Deboogle!.
10-25-2006, 01:24 AM
it's all part of the negotiation... tournaments like to cry poor and players want to grab more :lol: but i think kooyong is cool not to bow to hewitt's demand for federer-like money but based it on rankings instead. i don't like the idea that a rich exhibition must feature a token local player. they should justify with their results why they deserve the appearance.

that said, what is marat getting? :tape:I can only guess, but I imagine that they are going based on who can sell tickets. Roger, Andy, and Marat are pretty popular wherever they go; the tourney probably figures it can spend money on them and still sell just as many tickets... maybe Marat didn't ask for nearly as much? I'd have to guess Roger and Andy are in six figures or close... but sure they like playing there and that matters too and obviously it matters to the organization that a lot of these guys really support their event and come back because they like it for whatever reason.

Anyway I didn't mean to suggest that money is the only reason the top guys show up there, I'm sure they like the location and format and convenience of it and all, but I'm sure they are paid well also ;)

katulampa
10-25-2006, 01:43 AM
is this an exhibition? sorry don't follow ATP that much, compare to WTA ;)

Kristen
10-26-2006, 02:08 PM
i wish they had taken hewitt instead :tape:

so you're going to sydney and melbourne? :cool:

:lol: Likewise. I guess it's nice and handy for the clan though...

And yes...kat...started organising yet? *thinks of last year and the random meetings at Nandos. Then again, I do spend a lot of time in Nando's when I'm in Melbourne :tape:

its.like.that
10-26-2006, 03:55 PM
It's almost a game of pick the odd man out. :lol:

wtf is Murray doing on the list? :confused:

CmonAussie
10-26-2006, 04:59 PM
It's almost a game of pick the odd man out. :lol:

wtf is Murray doing on the list? :confused:
:eek:
:eek: They couldn`t get any Aussies~> well they couldn`t get Hewitt:p , so I guess they thought a Pom was the next best thing:sad:

BTW~, Scarlett`s not a distant relative of Tojo or Pim Pim is she:confused:

Xristos
10-26-2006, 05:01 PM
I drove past Kooyong today and saw their names on the wall and I thought to myself...."Why the fuck isnt my name there" then I said out load 2008 baby!

Peoples
10-26-2006, 06:15 PM
I drove past Kooyong today and saw their names on the wall and I thought to myself...."Why the fuck isnt my name there" then I said out load 2008 baby!
Its not funny any more :shrug:

Ferrero Forever
10-28-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't know what to make of the draw this time round. I'm happy that Roddick and Federer are playing again, they were awesome last time. I want to see Safin and Nalbandian a lot since I haven't watched them live before. Haas and Ljubicic are at least high quality players so you're guaranteed a good match, even though I don't like them much. But Stepanek and Murray, surely they could have chosen other players. Gonzalez to me would be a much better choice, at least he's exciting to watch, and he was willing to come. And Mirnyi last year was just lovely, so I certainly wouldn't complain if they brought him back. Anyway it looks like it's gonna be a good tournament, I can't wait to go!!!

its.like.that
10-28-2006, 12:30 PM
BTW~, Scarlett`s not a distant relative of Tojo or Pim Pim is she:confused:

LOL!

Kat!
10-28-2006, 12:31 PM
:lol: Likewise. I guess it's nice and handy for the clan though...

And yes...kat...started organising yet? *thinks of last year and the random meetings at Nandos. Then again, I do spend a lot of time in Nando's when I'm in Melbourne :tape:

:wavey: Via & Kristen! That time of the year again! I wish the 2007 tournament boards are up so I officially "feel" that I should be organising something.... :lol:

I'm just waiting for the entry lists at the moment.... :)

Via
10-29-2006, 12:32 AM
:wavey: Via & Kristen! That time of the year again! I wish the 2007 tournament boards are up so I officially "feel" that I should be organising something.... :lol:

I'm just waiting for the entry lists at the moment.... :)

:wavey: my fellow 'tour pros' ;)

i'm getting desparate at not having a home thread for january tournaments... so i'm recycling here: http://www.menstennisforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=501 :angel:

yes i'm also waiting for entry lists... sydney i've already secured a few tickets just in case the good seats run out... but adelaide with the new format, i really need to wait and see.

melbourne... by the time i looked, there weren't any lower section seats @ rod laver on any day. it'd be highly unlikely i'm going anyway.

Aphex
10-29-2006, 12:41 AM
:eek:
:eek: They couldn`t get any Aussies~> well they couldn`t get Hewitt:p , so I guess they thought a Pom was the next best thing:sad:

BTW~, Scarlett`s not a distant relative of Tojo or Pim Pim is she:confused: Yes, she's part of the huge and well known Swedish Johansson clan.

atheneglaukopis
10-29-2006, 01:29 AM
Yes, she's part of the huge and well known Swedish Johansson clan.Just as all Johnsons in English-speaking countries are related, so all Johanssons are related.

CmonAussie
10-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Yes, she's part of the huge and well known Swedish Johansson clan.
:wavey:
Well those Johansson clanspeople produce some fine looking young people I must say:angel:

I`d love to see Scarlett on the tennis court wearing a low cut number to show off her assets:devil: ... She was in the semi-tennis movie Matchpoint~> so you never know maybe she has an interest in tennis;)

Pim Pim is also rather handsome~> I imagine Scarlett & Pim Pim would make cute babies together... Oops that would be insestuous considering all the Johansson`s are related:eek:

Tojo is the black sheep of the family~>> however he`s the only one with a Slam trophy sitting on his mantlepiece:cool: :worship: