Adelaide wants to be the first MM event to try Round Robin format [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Adelaide wants to be the first MM event to try Round Robin format

Action Jackson
10-23-2006, 09:02 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/news/tennis/adelaide-may-trial-roundrobin-format/2006/10/02/1159641264393.html

Adelaide may trial round-robin format

Linda Pearce
October 3, 2006

Advertisement
AdvertisementAUSTRALIA wants to host the ATP's first dalliance with its new round-robin format at the season-opening tournament in Adelaide in January.

The hardcourt event's co-directors, Peter Johnston and Mark Woodforde, support the introduction of the system, which guarantees players multiple matches and next year will replace the traditional knockout format at selected men's tournaments worldwide. It is currently only used by the ATP at the eight-man Masters Cup, held next month in Shanghai, and the World Team Cup in Dusseldorf each May.

The change is part of a men's tour overhaul that includes Sunday rather than Monday tournament starts, a minimum 10 per cent prizemoney increase and the phasing-out of best-of-five set matches outside the grand slams and Davis Cup, which are run by the International Tennis Federation.

"At certain weeks, (the round-robin format) works better than others because you probably need the extra day to play it, and it's right for Adelaide because it's the first week of the year and players are looking for matches," said Johnston, whose event competes for players with rival ATP tournaments in India and Qatar. "It just helps Australian Open preparation. Hopman Cup's round-robin, Kooyong's round-robin. There's certain weeks that it will suit and Adelaide is one of them."

Johnston said he hoped for ATP approval this month, ahead of the tour's original November timetable. The historic Memorial Drive tournament has been condemned to a merger with the Gold Coast women's event and relocation to a new complex in Brisbane from 2009, but is scheduled for January 1-8 — with Lleyton Hewitt the probable headline act — in its penultimate year.

"There's a few logistical things to be decided, like what format would it actually be?" Johnston said. "How many groups of how many, for example, which is one of those ones that obviously affects what the (entry) cut-off will be. You might do eight groups of three, and have two matches in your group and then you're into the quarters, and so everyone's guaranteed of two matches. Or you might do a 32-draw.

"The ATP wants to get it 100 per cent right — working out the right points structure, working out what to do in certain circumstances, that's still going to still take a little while. That's what they're working on right now."

Advantages of the round-robin format include avoiding the scenario where a drawcard — usually on a hefty appearance fee — lasts only one round, as well as scheduling certainty for organisers and broadcasters. Less positive is the prospect of dead matches between players with no chance of advancing to the knockout stage.

"The main reason why the ATP are doing it is to get the guarantee of the marquee players playing more," Johnston said.

Puschkin
10-23-2006, 09:19 AM
:help: this crap is really taking place???

Action Jackson
10-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Well, it's not official as of yet. It's just Woody the bitch wants to try it out.

Via
10-23-2006, 09:32 AM
oh nooooo... i'm planning to go to adelaide !!!!!! am i going to witness history by attending the first atp round robin matches :help:

it's not like adelaide regularly fills up the stadium in the first few days... even if lleyton is guaranteed to play twice, so what ???

Action Jackson
10-23-2006, 09:38 AM
oh nooooo... i'm planning to go to adelaide !!!!!! am i going to witness history by attending the first atp round robin matches :help:

it's not like adelaide regularly fills up the stadium in the first few days... even if lleyton is guaranteed to play twice, so what ???

I was thinking of going, but I better save the money. As for Hewitt, well it gives them twice the chance to cheer against him.

Via
10-23-2006, 09:50 AM
I was thinking of going, but I better save the money. As for Hewitt, well it gives them twice the chance to cheer against him.

ummm not sure if too many people cheer against hewitt in adelaide... it is his home town after all.

if my fav plays and loses in the first round, i won't know what to say to him the next day. you're still here? lol... i don't know if i'd really be pleased to watch him again. he should belong to the practice courts after losing. not to mention some others that i'm not so keen about, once is more than enough :tape:

really the only reason for adelaide to jump onto the bandwagon (another one) is to bring in a new promotional gimmick for a year. that's all. people may want to find out what the fuss is about.

Action Jackson
10-23-2006, 09:54 AM
ummm not sure if too many people cheer against hewitt in adelaide... it is his home town after all.

if my fav plays and loses in the first round, i won't know what to say to him the next day. you're still here? lol... i don't know if i'd really be pleased to watch him again. he should belong to the practice courts after losing. not to mention some others that i'm not so keen about, once is more than enough :tape:

really the only reason for adelaide to jump onto the bandwagon (another one) is to bring in a new promotional gimmick for a year. that's all. people may want to find out what the fuss is about.

Remember when Hewitt got the shits cause they cheered Petrovic against him. He has enough people in Adelaide that don't like him.

I mean well Federer has woken up and is against the RR format and someone has to be the first to try it and since Adelaide is losing the event anyway, what you said about the gimmick just makes more sense.

its.like.that
10-23-2006, 10:08 AM
ADELAIDE = the biggest :retard: city of Australia

:lol:

Kat!
10-23-2006, 10:25 AM

Well, I would love to go back again and cheer against him :eek: but this is all a bit weird, I hope the qualify of the field isn't going to be affected :rolleyes:

bad gambler
10-23-2006, 10:26 AM
ADELAIDE = the biggest :retard: city of Australia

Get it right, it is a town not a city :o

Via
10-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Remember when Hewitt got the shits cause they cheered Petrovic against him. He has enough people in Adelaide that don't like him.

i forgot that :p

people have been too carried away by cheering for home town heroes lately :p i've forgotten that australians sometimes function differently :lol:

ah no adelaide is a great city :music: i'm living in the seventees...

Via
10-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Well, I would love to go back again and cheer against him :eek: but this is all a bit weird, I hope the qualify of the field isn't going to be affected :rolleyes:

were you there at that match?

if tournament starts on sunday then qualies will have to start on friday.. ?? or are you worried that there won't be any qualie spot left?

Action Jackson
10-23-2006, 10:36 AM
i forgot that :p

people have been too carried away by cheering for home town heroes lately :p i've forgotten that australians sometimes function differently :lol:

ah no adelaide is a great city :music: i'm living in the seventees...

Adelaide well I have never been there to say for sure. Though I did meet some of the tournament staff in Melbourne this year and they were trying to get me to go in 2007.

Maybe I could boo Woodforde.

Rogiman
10-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Few tourneys meet the definition of MM event better than Adelaide :rolls:

Action Jackson
10-23-2006, 10:39 AM
Few tourneys meet the definition of MM event better than Adelaide :rolls:

Funny that Kafelnikov, Hewitt and PMK all won their first titles there.

Rogiman
10-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Funny that Kafelnikov, Hewitt and PMK all won their first titles there.You have to start somewhere :shrug:

Action Jackson
10-23-2006, 10:45 AM
You have to start somewhere :shrug:

They were a fair way out when they started as well.

Hewitt it was only his 2nd pro tournament.
Kafelnikov was ranked 98th before it started
Davydenko was 81st

A true MM event as you said.

Fed-Express
10-23-2006, 11:01 AM
It's just Woody the bitch wants to try it out.

:haha: Well, I hope Roger stands up and opposes the RR format in public.
But I doubt it since he surely doesn't want to lose his status as Mr. popular :o
He is No. 1, the media listens to him and other players against it would probably follow him. If anybody has the responsibility to rescue the game it is the world's best player. And he has the power to do so:unsure:

Action Jackson
10-23-2006, 11:03 AM
:haha: Well, I hope Roger stands up and opposes the RR format in public.
But I doubt it since he surely doesn't want to lose his status as Mr. popular :o
He is No. 1, the media listens to him and other players against it would probably follow him. If anybody has the responsibility to rescue the game it is the world's best player. And he has the power to do so:unsure:

He already has had said something. I will bump the thread for you.

Fed-Express
10-23-2006, 11:09 AM
I know that he said something at a press conference. By opposing I mean publicly adressing deville and telling him to reconsider his plans.

Puschkin
10-23-2006, 11:18 AM
By opposing I mean publicly adressing deville and telling him to reconsider his plans.

That might not be the right approach. Some things are better done behind the scenes. :p And we'll probably never get to know whether he did it not.

Fed-Express
10-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Of course he should try to convince deville first behind the scenes, with the support of other players...But if that doesn't work... ;)

aussie_fan
10-23-2006, 11:34 AM
hopefully they will realize soon that round-robin is an absolute disaster. Would be curious to see if it changed the tv coverage down here in australia or not.

Action Jackson
10-23-2006, 11:36 AM
hopefully they will realize soon that round-robin is an absolute disaster. Would be curious to see if it changed the tv coverage down here in australia or not.

In what context do you mean about the coverage? Most of the tennis coverage is on Fox Sports and not free to air channels.

savesthedizzle
10-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Did anyone else take the survey the ATP sent out? You could clearly see how they are trying to justify fan support for doing this by asking what you value about tennis and stuff. I chose my answers wisely by saying I value the tradition and the conservative nature of the sport, long epic matches and that change is bad.

Anyway, I'm really disappointed that this is actually happening. Hopefully it will just be Adelaide, they'll see how ridiculous and crap it was and then never again.

revolution
10-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Did anyone else take the survey the ATP sent out? You could clearly see how they are trying to justify fan support for doing this by asking what you value about tennis and stuff. I chose my answers wisely by saying I value the tradition and the conservative nature of the sport, long epic matches and that change is bad.

Anyway, I'm really disappointed that this is actually happening. Hopefully it will just be Adelaide, they'll see how ridiculous and crap it was and then never again.

I agree completely :D No more RRs please.

Action Jackson
10-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Did they send a survey out Jess? I wouldn't trust it as they would have worded in a such way to get a skewed response.

CooCooCachoo
10-23-2006, 01:03 PM
So, perhaps we can expect the brilliant event of Newport to host Round Robin too :rocker: :ignore:

Action Jackson
10-23-2006, 01:05 PM
So, perhaps we can expect the brilliant event of Newport to host Round Robin too :rocker: :ignore:

The Creme de la creme of MM events.

savesthedizzle
10-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Did they send a survey out Jess? I wouldn't trust it as they would have worded in a such way to get a skewed response.

Yeah, they sent one out... I have no idea how I got one, but it was pretty long and it asked you what you valued about tennis, what players names you recognized, what tournament names you recognized and how much you would like it if they plastered the ATP logo over everything. At one point there was a place where I could type a little paragraph so I expressed my disgust over round robin. They ask how many tournaments you've been to in the last year and how much money you spend going to them, etc...

Action Jackson
10-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Yeah, they sent one out... I have no idea how I got one, but it was pretty long and it asked you what you valued about tennis, what players names you recognized, what tournament names you recognized and how much you would like it if they plastered the ATP logo over everything. At one point there was a place where I could type a little paragraph so I expressed my disgust over round robin. They ask how many tournaments you've been to in the last year and how much money you spend going to them, etc...

Lucky I didn't get one I would have given them a 600 word summary, though 9 words would do.

Sack de Villiers
and drop the Round Robin format.

its.like.that
10-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Get it right, it is a town not a city :o

Nathaliia
10-23-2006, 02:49 PM

Oh hell, should we expect it in Casachallenger as well for this sake :confused: :lol:

Or rather in Palermo where some strange scores do happen and matches about nothing are even more likely to have strange scores.

Gulliver
10-23-2006, 03:20 PM
The historic Memorial Drive tournament has been condemned to a merger with the Gold Coast women's event

Whole lot of meaning in that word!

Choupi
10-23-2006, 03:24 PM
All I hope is that the Adelaide example won't get too contagious.

FedererGrandSlam
10-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Can anyone explain to me how it's going to work, if it all?

32 players with eight groups of 4 is absolutely impossible. Way too many matches even if only the group winners advance, and in that case you would have many dead rubbers late in the group matches.
24 players with eight groups of 3 is possible but extremely stupid.
Do they really want to end up with all three players having a 1-1 2-2 or 1-1 3-3 record and deciding about the best player by counting games? :o

Both these solutions are pretty dumb.

GlennMirnyi
10-23-2006, 06:09 PM
I support the stoning of all RR supporters. It's the ultimate mockery of tennis.

Checho
10-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Can anyone explain to me how it's going to work, if it all?

32 players with eight groups of 4 is absolutely impossible. Way too many matches even if only the group winners advance, and in that case you would have many dead rubbers late in the group matches.
24 players with eight groups of 3 is possible but extremely stupid.
Do they really want to end up with all three players having a 1-1 2-2 or 1-1 3-3 record and deciding about the best player by counting games? :o

Both these solutions are pretty dumb.

I think it would be 8 groups of 4 players, you have to remember that the The tournament is going to begin on a Sunday.

So, there are 48 matches in the RR, it can be played ten matches per day ( five in the centre court, and five in the court nº2) until the wenesday and the last 8 matches wolud be played on thursday.

Then, it wolud be played as usually, Friday: Quarters
Sataurday: Semis
Sunday: Final Match

Foosimoo
10-23-2006, 09:16 PM
You have got to be kidding me..:(

vogus
10-23-2006, 09:23 PM
they can try it but it's going to suck. "You lose, you're out" is a fundamental concept in tennis. The RR format only works in very small quantities like at the TMC.

Corswandt
10-23-2006, 09:50 PM
they can try it but it's going to suck. "You lose, you're out" is a fundamental concept in tennis. The RR format only works in very small quantities like at the TMC.

Yes, the successive knockout rounds format is essential - it makes a final out of every match. It's much more dramatic.

Alexiana
10-23-2006, 10:10 PM
I hate that idea, it's ridiculous and unfair

vogus
10-23-2006, 10:18 PM
Yes, the successive knockout rounds format is essential - it makes a final out of every match. It's much more dramatic.

i guess their thinking is that nobody cares about the early rounds, and that since the latter round format is still going to be the same as always, most folks won't even notice the difference.

Checho
10-24-2006, 01:23 AM
Yes the RR format sucks, but the ATP want to guarantee that the best players will be in the finals rounds.

Checho
10-24-2006, 01:36 AM
Which begs the question, if they need the round robin format to reach the finals, are they really the best?

Yes, because no one is exempt of losing in the first round. Maybe one bad day, and the best player of the tournament is out.

Then the people don't buy the tickets and the tournament lose money.

keqtqiadv
10-24-2006, 02:28 AM
RR :retard:

GlennMirnyi
10-24-2006, 02:42 AM
Yes, because no one is exempt of losing in the first round. Maybe one bad day, and the best player of the tournament is out.

Wrong. If a player can't win all matches, he's not the best.

nobama
10-24-2006, 03:32 AM
sigh. There's no way to stop this RR nonsense when the ATP, players and tournament directors all think it's a good idea. :(
http://www.tennis.com/print.aspx?id=50684

Playoff Season: ATP moving forward with round-robin events

It's predictable: the big stars are positive about the idea of round-robin events while lower-ranked players aren't quite so sure. But Roger Federer is breaking ranks.

By Jorge Viale

How to make men's tennis a hotter ticket? After completing a radical overhaul of the doubles game last year, the ATP tour is now setting its sights on singles competition. One of the ideas being considered is round-robin events, where the traditional single-elimination format would be replaced by playoff groups during the early rounds.
The primary purpose of the plan is to reduce early exits by top players, who drive attendance and TV ratings for tournaments. Currently, a star attraction like Marcos Baghdatis might travel from an event in France to one in Japan and lose in the first round because of jet-lag, quickly depriving the event of one of its marquee names. Under the round-robin format, Baghdatis could have an off-day and still go on to win the title.

The ATP will be trying out the format in 2007, along with other planned changes like starting some tournaments on Sunday.

“It is our goal to increase the consumption of the sport,” said new ATP head Etienne de Villers last year. The former Disney executive was appointed chairman of the ATP in 2005 and has since also taken over the role of president.

But while a majority of top players appear to favor the experiment, De Villiers now finds that world No. 1 Roger Federer – who currently is to tennis what Mickey Mouse is to Disney – has decided he’s not on board. “I thought it was an interesting idea in the first place. Now I'm not a big fan any more of it,” said Federer in Madrid.

These days, players who lose in the early rounds will often quickly head to the airport after their match, knowing their tournament is over. Under a round robin format, it would take a few days to see which players will advance. That doesn’t appeal to Federer. “You lose the first round, you want to stick around for maybe not even being able to qualify,” he said. “It's kind of maybe a losing battle, I think.”

It’s not the first time Federer has opted for a traditional stance. He also dislikes the use of the Hawkeye computerized replay to correct linecalls, which is becoming increasingly common at tournaments.
“Just keep the knockout system. That's so unique about tennis, one bad day, you're out. [It’s] like the Hawkeye. I didn't like it in the first place, I still don't like it today. It's unnecessary,” he said.

Other top players have reacted more positively, with Rafael Nadal expressing enthusiasm. “I totally agree with the change in the system to round robin… that favours the show, the players and the tournament. Everyone. I am thrilled,” he said.

Nadal, 20, showed his business acumen when he added that “round robin favors earning more money.”

The system creates more security for the event, he explained, which should translate into better pay for the players. “People want to see Federer, Roddick, now perhaps me. And this way they will see them at least twice, instead of once. If the world No. 2 or the world No. 1 lose in the first round it is a catastrophe for the tournament. Tournaments will be longer, but if you want to earn more money that's the way it is."

The reference to longer tournaments alludes to the debate over how the round-robin system will work in practice. The details have not yet been officially established, but De Villiers said in Madrid that the standard structure will be 16 groups of three players for tournaments with a 48-player draw, and eight groups of three for a 24-player draw, with single-elimination during the final rounds.

Nadal said he would prefer to see players play off in groups of four rather than three, which would add an extra match for each player in the group.

Tournaments like Adelaide, Barcelona and Buenos Aires have shown interest in adopting the system for 2007. The goal is to make the new format mandatory for 2009. “We will have 12 tournaments or so experimenting next year,” said De Villiers. “Most of the players are very positive about this.”

“The tournament directors want to have the best players the whole week and it’s understandable,” concluded Marat Safin.

But lower-ranked players wonder whether round-robin will make it more difficult for them to do well. “We didn’t have a say in all this. They only consulted the Nadals and Federers,” said Nicolas Mahut, ranked No 65.

But many involved in the game’s administration seem to believe the idea is worth trying. Ion Tiriac, promoter of the Master Series event in Madrid, approves of the push for change. “Maybe it’s good, maybe bad, but they are committed to do something that nobody had the guts to do in tennis,” he said. “It’s the only sport that has not changed in a hundred years, except for the tie-break. I was ready for the round robin 40 years ago.”

Madrid tournament director and former Wimbledon champion Manolo Santana is also on board, though it remains to be seen whether the system will eventually be implemented at larger events like Madrid. “When the ATP is ready, we are ready,” said Santana. I think this system can make tennis more fan-friendly, you’ll have the big names playing at least twice. It’s like the soccer World Cup, Brazil will play three times for sure.”

Buenos Aires director Martin Jaite said, “We are one of the first tournaments that want to try it. If the experience ends up being something nobody likes, then we can go back.”

De Villiers, a former consultant for Formula One racing, has the same philosophy. “Doing it, trying it and fixing it. You have the time and luxury to experiment, why don’t we?”

What the Players Say

“I thought it was an interesting idea in the first place. Now I'm not a big fan any more of it... Just keep the knockout system. That's so unique about tennis, one bad day, you're out.”
- Roger Federer http://forum.media-objektiv.com/smileys/smiley24.gif

“I totally agree with the change in the system to round robin… that favours the show, the players and the tournament. Everyone. I am thrilled.”
- Rafael Nadal http://forum.media-objektiv.com/smileys/smiley23.gif

“It can be strange, we are not used to it. It might be interesting, but I don’t think the whole calendar can be played using that format.”
- David Nalbandian :shrug:

“The tournament directors want to have the best players the whole week and it’s understandable.”
- Marat Safin http://forum.media-objektiv.com/smileys/smiley23.gif

“We didn’t have a say in all this. They only consulted the Nadals and Federers.”
- Nicholas Mahut http://forum.media-objektiv.com/smileys/smiley24.gif

“It seems to be a good idea for the tournament directors, the TV and the fans. It’s good for the players because it gives them a second chance.”
- Sebastien Grosjean http://forum.media-objektiv.com/smileys/smiley23.gif

“Only economic arguments are behind all this. Losing a match and winning the tournament at the end, is something I have trouble to accept.”
- Fabrice Santoro http://forum.media-objektiv.com/smileys/smiley24.gif

“I have played in the Masters, which is the only tournament right now using the league format, and it's good for the players. Even if you have an off-day you have the chance to win the title.”
- Carlos Moya http://forum.media-objektiv.com/smileys/smiley23.gif

“It never hurts to try it. We can try it. First of all, I think the main issue is how the fans respond to it. If it increases the interest in tennis, then I think we should go along with that. They are the ones paying our bills.”
- Dmitry Tursunov http://forum.media-objektiv.com/smileys/smiley23.gif

“I don’t like it, a win against a top ten player becomes less important. A player can beat Federer and not be able to qualify.”
- Edgardo Massa http://forum.media-objektiv.com/smileys/smiley24.gif

ufokart
10-24-2006, 03:55 AM
Buenos Aires director Martin Jaite said, “We are one of the first tournaments that want to try it. If the experience ends up being something nobody likes, then we can go back.”

What? I'll punch Jaite if he goes ahead with this :lol:
I am going to attend the tournament next year, and i don't want this dumb idea to be implemented there:( :mad:

case
10-24-2006, 04:13 AM
Mahut says they only consulted the feds and nadals.

I dont think they consulted anyone but people want to make money.
In the end i wonder how fans will like it. it just sounds involved and silly.
i still dont like it. but if they dont care about the players opinion i doubt if they care about ours.

Checho
10-24-2006, 04:19 AM
Jaite don't break the balls!!! I will pay my ticket like every year to see your tournament, so i expect something serious with a knock out format.

The Round Robins is a ridiculous system.

No doubt that Santoro is the most intelligent players of all, he is totally right.

Whistleway
10-24-2006, 05:35 AM
So what exactly is the RR system and how would that be implemented?

Its not like they don't Federer more. He has played more than 80 matches and any more matches and the top players wont play many tourneys at all.

Sounds like a really stupid idea to me.

NyGeL
10-24-2006, 05:55 AM
wtf... imagine Gaudio matches knowing that he can lose and still go to next round :lol:

like Checho said... "don't break the balls" ahahahaha

Checho
10-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Wrong. If a player can't win all matches, he's not the best.

Even Federer can lose a match, and who will dare to say that he isn't the best player??

Via
10-24-2006, 06:50 AM
Even Federer can lose a match, and who will dare to say that he isn't the best player??

federer is the best right now, because he has gathered the most points from winning in knock-out tournaments.

since consistency is part of his advantage, why would he want the system changed to help out those who have more bad days than he does?

Action Jackson
10-24-2006, 06:57 AM

Is that you Martin Jaite?

mrserenawilliams
10-24-2006, 10:25 AM
who's playing?

Johnny Groove
10-24-2006, 10:52 AM
hopefully Federer can knock some sense into Rafa and they can destroy this :retard: idea, because they are the only ones the ATP listen to

Action Jackson
10-24-2006, 10:54 AM
hopefully Federer can knock some sense into Rafa and they can destroy this :retard: idea, because they are the only ones the ATP listen to

It's not like Fed has been that successful to putting pression on Rafa.

Kat!
10-24-2006, 11:55 AM
if tournament starts on sunday then qualies will have to start on friday.. ?? or are you worried that there won't be any qualie spot left?

:banghead: Gah! I meant quality of the field, not qualify! :lol:

Is it because Adelaide is gone in 2 years that they're just destroying the event? :confused:

Action Jackson
10-24-2006, 12:51 PM
:banghead: Gah! I meant quality of the field, not qualify! :lol:

Is it because Adelaide is gone in 2 years that they're just destroying the event? :confused:

Well since it's moving to Brisvegas, then it wouldn't surprise if they didn't care about it.

aussie_fan
10-24-2006, 01:04 PM
But many involved in the game’s administration seem to believe the idea is worth trying. Ion Tiriac, promoter of the Master Series event in Madrid, approves of the push for change. “Maybe it’s good, maybe bad, but they are committed to do something that nobody had the guts to do in tennis,” he said. “It’s the only sport that has not changed in a hundred years, except for the tie-break. I was ready for the round robin 40 years ago.”

That's got to be one of the dumbest things i have heard, why does the sport have to change, maybe it's fine the way it is. Stupid people trying to wreck the game. just annoys me so much.

Action Jackson
10-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Tiriac is a businessman and a mafioso. This is a guy who owns a bank, has an orphanage, invents words in the French language. He also used to be an agent and coach to Vilas, Becker, Ivanisevic, he also has something to do with Safin.

As long as it brings mafioso Tiriac money, then that's the key and yes he is the guy behind the Madrid event.

Would you trust this man?

http://www.frt.ro/images/Revista/Tiriac-mare.jpg

Via
10-25-2006, 01:18 AM
i've heard enough crap from tiriac over the years, i switch off when he opens his mouth.

it's sad that he continues to be quoted as his influence continues :shrug:

ouch kat..... don't hurt your head :lol: although many posters here may feel like hitting a brick wall too

FedererGrandSlam
10-25-2006, 01:57 AM
Ion :hearts:

Another problem with groups of three and only one player advancing is that if you lose the first match 2-6 3-6 or something like that, you're 99.9% sure to be out. The second match is of zero value for you then.

Action Jackson
10-25-2006, 10:10 AM
i've heard enough crap from tiriac over the years, i switch off when he opens his mouth.

it's sad that he continues to be quoted as his influence continues :shrug:

Well said.

Beat
10-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Would you trust this man?

http://www.frt.ro/images/Revista/Tiriac-mare.jpg
erm, no. :scared:

David Kenzie
10-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Round Robin tournaments is absolutely unacceptable. I hope Federer and other top players refuse to play in them. I'm so angry about this !!

Imagine a player having to win a match in straight sets to qualify. He could be knocked out of the tournament after losing the second set, which would mean the 3rd set is meaningless.

In tennis if you lose you're out. That's how the first rounds can be so exciting.

The TMC isn't a regular tournament. Its an event that's only purpose is to show off the top players. Round Robin with only 8 players in such an event makes sense. But in the regular season it souldn't even be considered.

~EMiLiTA~
10-25-2006, 11:49 AM
please no...not round robin :scared:

Naranoc
10-25-2006, 11:50 AM
please no...not round robin :scared:

The nightmare will become reality :o

Action Jackson
10-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Well if Federer played an RR event, he could try not to win and then they'd get the message soon enough.

These top players didn't get there by playing round robin events.

Via
10-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Imagine a player having to win a match in straight sets to qualify. He could be knocked out of the tournament after losing the second set, which would mean the 3rd set is meaningless.

you know what, if that happens, they can declare it a 'dead set' like a dead rubber in davis cup, then let the player 'retire' if he wishes. :p

it's going to be a whole new ball game... maybe those who are drawing up the 'logistics' right now also feel like :banghead: it can't be easy re-inventing the game and get it right within a few weeks.

ps. i'm sorry if i seem to be whinging forever about this RR prospect... but look i'm considering going there at my considerable expense, and to think about how they will be experimenting with a half-exhibition-half-tournament beast, knowing that adelaide does not have the best organisation in the world... urrgghhhhh

GermanBoy
10-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Stupid idea! :rolleyes:

Via
10-26-2006, 01:31 PM
ummm i've posted the adelaide news to the other thread :p

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=4347691&postcount=64