How many titles will Nadal win NEXT year? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How many titles will Nadal win NEXT year?

Pfloyd
10-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Nadal has only won 5 tournaments this year, less then half of what he achieved in his break through year.

Of course, winning 1 GS a season is not bad at all, but for hise case, 2 would have been better. ;)

In all seriousness: will Nadal win more tournaments next year?

I think his pride alone will guarantee more tournaments than this year. Also, his game overall is improving.

I say he'll win 7-8.

DrJules
10-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Nadal has only won 5 tournaments this year, less then half of what he achieved in his break through year.

Of course, winning 1 GS a season is not bad at all, but for hise case, 2 would have been better. ;)

He does play 2 more events so it could be 7. Going for 7-8 next year.

RogiFan88
10-22-2006, 04:30 PM
2006 isn't over yet... there are still two tourneys left for Rafa

Johnny Groove
10-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Sydney, AO, Dubai, Miami, MC, Barcelona, Rome, Hamburg, RG, Canada/Cincy, Madrid, and Shanghai

12ish :p

cecilija
10-22-2006, 04:33 PM
0 but will be finalist in barcelona :p

guga2120
10-22-2006, 04:37 PM
0 but will be finalist in barcelona :p

, yeah im sure he will not win a clay court event, he does pretty much suck on the stuff, very inconsistent.
:wavey:

prima donna
10-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Quite an interesting discussion, especially taking into consideration the fact that the young lad has played considerably better than last year and yet somehow finds himself in a bind, not nearly enjoying the success that he'd grown so accustom to. A pity for him, but most certainly he will come back next year, at this stage of his career one can only hope to improve, learning from mistakes and trying to perfect form.

With this being said, he has numerous defects and flaws in his game. His ability to win in the midst of all this madness, having a technically inferior game in comparison with the majority of Top 50 players is quite a testament to his athletic ability. Hopefully, next year he'll enjoy more success. Though if I may make one suggestion, he'd be well served to continue working on his serve to cover up other areas of his game.

I predict 3 tournaments, with all of them coming on clay.

Federer&Hingis
10-22-2006, 04:40 PM
4 titles and all on clay

Pfloyd
10-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Quite an interesting discussion, especially taking into consideration the fact that the young lad has played considerably better than last year and yet somehow finds himself in a bind, not nearly enjoying the success that he'd grown so accustom to. A pity for him, but most certainly he will come back next year, at this stage of his career one can only hope to improve, learning from mistakes and trying to perfect form.

With this being said, he has numerous defects and flaws in his game. His ability to win in the midst of all this madness, having a technically inferior game in comparison with the majority of Top 50 players is quite a testament to his athletic ability. Hopefully, next year he'll enjoy more success. Though if I may make one suggestion, he'd be well served to continue working on his serve to cover up other areas of his game.

Not the worst insult you've said of him. Your feeling good today given Roger's win, don't you?

Half of you argument isn't bad, but 3 tournies is too little given his ability and talent, which you will deny of course.

rofe
10-22-2006, 04:43 PM
I think AO is his best chance to win a non-clay GS so I expect him to start his AO campaign with both guns blazing and he may actually win it. Other than that, I expect about 5-6 titles.

LilyRoseAva
10-22-2006, 04:43 PM
5/6 titles

Pfloyd
10-22-2006, 04:44 PM
I think AO is his best chance to win a non-clay GS so I expect him to start his AO campaign with both guns blazing and he may actually win it. Other than that, I expect about 5-6 titles.

That would be quite a good year for him, especially if he defends RG.

El Legenda
10-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Rafa said it himself at end of last year...it will be impossible for him to do the same this year...i mean he is no Federer after all :wavey:

prima donna
10-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Not the worst insult you've said of him. Your feeling good today given Roger's win, don't you?

Half of you argument isn't bad, but 3 tournies is too little given his ability and talent, which you will deny of course.

I do enjoy the TMS triumphs most all, contrary to popular belief his best tennis is normally played during these type of events. Nadal does have a rather questionable technique on his backhand wing, but has been able to compensate for it due in part to the fact that he's naturally right handed. One could almost certainly assume that under any other set of circumstances, a player would be doomed to failure with that form. This being said, the boy has also been able to generate incredible passing shots on the backhand.

Nadal's game has been dissected by the likes of Tomas Berdych, Fernando Gonzalez, James Blake and other big hitters of which have come close to defeating the boy but mental strength became an issue. He has this awful tendency to drop the ball rather short, something on hard courts or any slick surface that will cost you a dear prize.

Johnny Groove
10-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Federer should play Barcelona :devil:

NYCtennisfan
10-22-2006, 04:53 PM

I think his pride alone will guarantee more tournaments than this year. Also, his game overall is improving.

I say he'll win 7-8.

He has "only" won 5 so far, but we also have to take into consideration that he didn't play a lot of smaller clay tournaments this year which added to his total last year.

stebs
10-22-2006, 04:54 PM
5-8. I went for the 5-6 option but 7 or 8 wouldn't shcok me. He can win AO warm up event. One more before the clay season, could be a TMS or even the AO itself or Dubai or whatever. Then he will win 3 titles on clay I think. That gives him 5. Then he may win 1-3 more but he may not.

prima donna
10-22-2006, 04:55 PM
He has "only" won 5 so far, but we also have to take into consideration that he didn't play a lot of smaller clay tournaments this year which added to his total last year.
Valid assessment.

Pfloyd
10-22-2006, 04:57 PM
I do enjoy the TMS triumphs most all, contrary to popular belief his best tennis is normally played during these type of events. Nadal does have a rather questionable technique on his backhand wing, but has been able to compensate for it due in part to the fact that he's naturally right handed. One could almost certainly assume that under any other set of circumstances, a player would be doomed to failure with that form. This being said, the boy has also been able to generate incredible passing shots on the backhand.

Nadal's game has been dissected by the likes of Tomas Berdych, Fernando Gonzalez, James Blake and other big hitters of which have come close to defeating the boy but mental strength became an issue. He has this awful tendency to drop the ball rather short, something on hard courts or any slick surface that will cost you a dear prize.

That is quite a good disection of his game. But give him time, he might suprise you...

Pfloyd
10-22-2006, 04:58 PM

True.

prima donna
10-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Also, something that even Nadal advocates would admit is the fact that he certainly isn't the most talented of the youngsters and quite frankly, at this point in his career he can no longer be considered part of the newer crop of players, much like Richard Gasquet. These are two relatively young players in age, but they've been on tour for quite some time, which of course means that they have far more experience than their peers.

With Djokovic, Murray, Berdych and other players worthy a small mention like a Gael Monfils for example, his life won't be simplified. If their mental strength improves each of these players have the ability to blow Nadal off of any surface with the exception of clay. Though one must admit, Nadal has done a rather fair job of outworking his opponents with a dedication and work ethic that simply cannot be taught.

Titles will be harder for everyone to come by next year, including Mr. Federer.

Rgask
10-22-2006, 05:39 PM
He'll win 3-4.....

Exodus
10-22-2006, 05:40 PM
he will win 3-4 small tournys, no master and RG for him...

BlueSwan
10-22-2006, 06:02 PM
I say 5/6 titles. He'll win one or two of the hardcourt events before the clay season, possibly even the AO depending on how well Fed plays. He'll then win probably 3, possibly 4 clay court events, probably including RG, but he WILL lose at least one match on clay next season - anything else would be insane. After RG he'll at the most win one further event - he's still not well enough suited for the autumn events played on faster surfaces.

It could look like this:

Doha
TMS Miami
TMS Monte Carlo
TMS Rome
Roland Garros
One of the smaller US series hardcourt events

NeverSayDie
10-22-2006, 06:19 PM
He will win the Grand Slam. ;) Joke. I wish. I voted 7-8

kronus12
10-22-2006, 06:26 PM
he'll be lucky to win 5 titles next year including the RG im not convinced he will win AO though if he meet blake or Berdych in the early rounds then no way.
Yes and its a good feeling that fed won madrid why are you rafatards upset about it?

TJL
10-22-2006, 07:59 PM
Around 5 I think. Even though he's going through a slump there's no doubt that he's a great clay player. He might win over 5 if he gets his confidence back and winning (even in clay) should do the trick.

Pfloyd
10-22-2006, 08:14 PM
I think the best outcome for Nadal next year will be AO, FO 2 Masters plus 2 other tournies.

I give him a 40% chance of winning the AO.

tennisgal_001
10-22-2006, 09:26 PM
I think the best outcome for Nadal next year will be AO, FO 2 Masters plus 2 other tournies.

Woah! He's never even reached the QUARTERS at Oz n' he gets a FORTY PERCENT chance... explain that if you may!

mallorn
10-22-2006, 09:33 PM

:lol: Typical PD. :hug:

World Beater
10-22-2006, 09:36 PM
5-6 would be a great year.

this year has been very good. its just that people's expectations are rising to an astronomical level.

do people really think he could repeat clay domination followed by a wimbledon final? i dont know if even winning the AO next year with an RG would be better.

propi
10-22-2006, 09:38 PM
As long as he wins Roland Garros it will be fine for me... anything else would be a nice plus, of course :bounce:

Pfloyd
10-22-2006, 11:33 PM
Woah! He's never even reached the QUARTERS at Oz n' he gets a FORTY PERCENT chance... explain that if you may!

It's a slow hard court, and the court reacts well to spins, this ought to guarantee Nadal a good chance of reaching finals and maybe even winning it.

Rogiman
10-22-2006, 11:36 PM
It's a slow hard court, and the court reacts well to spins, this ought to guarantee Nadal a good chance of reaching finals and maybe even winning it.Yet when you look at the list of winners throughout the years they're all essentially fastcourters.

Naranoc
10-22-2006, 11:36 PM
^ Isn't the surface being changed because of Hewitt's complaints? :confused:

Pfloyd
10-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Yet when you look at the list of winners throughout the years they're all essentially fastcourters.

Yeah, that's true, but the AO is still the best tournie for Nadal to win outside the FO.

KaxMisha
10-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Yeah, that's true, but the AO is still the best tournie for Nadal to win outside the FO.

Naah. Miami is probably closer to clay in terms of speed.

Rogiman
10-22-2006, 11:52 PM
Yeah, that's true, but the AO is still the best tournie for Nadal to win outside the FO.He's in the short list of contenders, but I wouldn't even say he's 2nd. In fact, I'd put Safin (possibly the 2nd best on the surface after Agassi) ahead of him and frankly if Nalbandian had the slightest respect to his own career I'd have him ahead of Nadal too.
And there's always the list of usual suspects with power games like Roddick and Blake.

Nadal is in the list of contenders, but many of his fans have announced the title is his for taking, which is simply wishful thinking and right now plain ridiculous.

KaxMisha
10-23-2006, 12:01 AM
He's in the short list of contenders, but I wouldn't even say he's 2nd. In fact, I'd put Safin (possibly the 2nd best on the surface after Agassi) ahead of him and frankly if Nalbandian had the slightest respect to his own career I'd have him ahead of Nadal too.
And there's always the list of usual suspects with power games like Roddick and Blake.

Nadal is in the list of contenders, but many of his fans have announced the title is his for taking, which is simply wishful thinking and right now plain ridiculous.

Word.

Johnny Groove
10-23-2006, 12:17 AM
He's in the short list of contenders, but I wouldn't even say he's 2nd. In fact, I'd put Safin (possibly the 2nd best on the surface after Agassi) ahead of him and frankly if Nalbandian had the slightest respect to his own career I'd have him ahead of Nadal too.

I guess we ought to put Nadal and Federer in the final right now

Rogiman
10-23-2006, 12:20 AM
I guess we ought to put Nadal and Federer in the final right nowRight now you wouldn't like Rafa to pay Federer, trust me :devil:

Johnny Groove
10-23-2006, 12:22 AM
Right now you wouldn't like Rafa to pay Federer, trust me :devil:

at the AO? I would LOOOVE to see it :drool:

sanpo
10-23-2006, 12:45 AM
He'll win about 6: probably two of TMS on clay, FO

and three mickey mouse tournaments.:baby:

Fedex
10-23-2006, 01:02 AM
Federer should play Barcelona :devil:

And Nadal should play Basel. :)

jcempire
10-23-2006, 02:11 AM
4 months ago, I think He is No. 2------on Hard courts

Now, I think is only Top. 10 on Hard Courts

Near Close No. 2/////////////////could be No. 6 or No. 7

bottom Line... He still No. 1,.......and Red Clays' King

So. I think Possible 7 Titles For Him Next Year

5 for this year, 100% sure for you guys

He won't get another one

Fed=ATPTourkilla
10-23-2006, 02:40 AM

In my opinion that's far, far too high. If he comes up against Safin at the AO, he is almost certainly going to lose. Furthermore, there are at least four other players who would be favourite against him.

I would not be tremendously confident if Roger played him - maybe Roger would be a slight favourite - but he isn't going to get to the final to play Roger. His game matches up well against Roger, because Roger has difficulty with the moonball cross-court forehand. But against a tall double-hander, that shot is actually a weakness because such a player loves to swat that sort of cheap nonsense away. :devil:

But if Rafa comes up against Safin, it'll be free money for everyone at the bookies' expense, because they will grossly overestimate Rafa's chances.

Action Jackson
10-23-2006, 03:02 AM
It's not a question of how many titles in number, just how many of the big ones will he win.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
10-23-2006, 04:18 AM
5-6

atheneglaukopis
10-23-2006, 04:45 AM
In my opinion that's far, far too high. If he comes up against Safin at the AO, he is almost certainly going to lose. Furthermore, there are at least four other players who would be favourite against him.

I would not be tremendously confident if Roger played him - maybe Roger would be a slight favourite - but he isn't going to get to the final to play Roger. His game matches up well against Roger, because Roger has difficulty with the moonball cross-court forehand. But against a tall double-hander, that shot is actually a weakness because such a player loves to swat that sort of cheap nonsense away. :devil:

But if Rafa comes up against Safin, it'll be free money for everyone at the bookies' expense, because they will grossly overestimate Rafa's chances.Whereas most of MTF constantly grossly overestimates Safin's chances.

atheneglaukopis
10-23-2006, 04:46 AM
It's not a question of how many titles in number, just how many of the big ones will he win.Exactly.

morningglory
10-23-2006, 04:52 AM
as many clay tournies as he plays... other than that, no one's stopping the cow and the duck! Not to mention the bird...

Bad Religion
10-23-2006, 05:19 AM
10 at least

RonE
10-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Barring any serious injury 7-8 titles sounds about right. This includes RG with 2 of the clay masters and possibly 1 other TMS off the clay and perhaps even AO.