Does anyone else miss the Nadal-Federer finals? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Does anyone else miss the Nadal-Federer finals?

Metis
10-22-2006, 03:42 PM
I am sure the die-hard Federer fans don't :p :devil: , but since Wimbledon I have watched several of Roger's matches and especially the finals and I can't help remembering with nostalgia those exciting moments between the No1 and the No2...:sad:

Since then all we've seen (with rare exceptions) is Federer's opponents fight hard and sometimes play brilliantly in the first set only to lose it in the last stages or in the tie break and then completely crumble under the pressure...

This is getting increasingly boring and predictable. :help:

Just Cause
10-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Yup......but Nadal cant beat him indoor. In fact NO ONE can (Nalbandian was lucky last year, sucked this week).
But yes, I would like to see Nadal start walking over everyone too::D.

zicofirol
10-22-2006, 03:44 PM
no, im already sick of them...

What I watn to see is a Federer-Safin final, or game...

Johnny Groove
10-22-2006, 03:44 PM
I would love for Nadal to actually make the finals of a tourney before he can beat Federer. He is the only one in the world that has the balls to not shit in his pants at the prospect of facing Federer.

lucashg
10-22-2006, 03:46 PM
I don't, not only because Roger lost most of them, but because they weren't good matches to begin with, with the exception of Rome and Wimbledon. I've also read that the Dubai final was good, but I didn't see that one.

Just Cause
10-22-2006, 03:48 PM
I don't, not only because Roger lost most of them, but because they weren't good matches to begin with, with the exception of Rome and Wimbledon. I've also read that the Dubai final was good, but I didn't see that one.

You mentioned Dubai...well, that shows only Nadal has the remote possibility of having a match with Federer, unlike others who are just trying to bring down a giant.

Naranoc
10-22-2006, 03:49 PM
I miss them, but Nadal should get his act together and actually start going beyond the quarter finals of every tournament for us to see them :(

artlinkletter
10-22-2006, 03:49 PM
My blood pressure doesn't miss them.:angel:

Metis
10-22-2006, 03:55 PM
:lol: Good point!

I remember how people were sick of the Nadal-Federer finals a few months ago. I was starting to get bored too, but now I feel that any other option is even worse...

Just Cause
10-22-2006, 03:56 PM

I hope they dont miss you too:rolleyes:

Federer vs Nadal is never boring.

It forces Federer to play great shots and Nadal to go beyond what he is capable of.

Regenbogen
10-22-2006, 03:58 PM
NO. I HATE them. They are too much for my poor nerves :lol:

Pfloyd
10-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Agreed.

Nadal was just unlucky in Madrid to lose against a super Berdych.

He was playing at a decent level. But I'm sure he's taken a big hit to his confidence level with that loss.

Nadal's best bet now, if he ever hopes of having an awsome AO, is to perform well in the Tennis Masters cup.

If Nadal manages to beat a few good quality players in that tournie, he can definetly raise his confidence in the months before the next grand slam.

Again, a pitty that Nadal lost this tournie...

Dem0
10-22-2006, 04:02 PM

Same here. I'm amazed I've survived to Rome final hehe :rolleyes:

nobama
10-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Wimbledon, Dubai and Rome were decent matches, but none of the others were.

scoobs
10-22-2006, 04:03 PM
I miss them a lot. Dubai and Rome were absolute classics. Wimbledon was pretty good. Monte Carlo and Roland Garros were okay but a bit disappointing. But at least they had a frisson of excitement - a Federer victory was never the obvious outcome.

Still...Roger's making the finals and Rafa...is not. He seems to be on the slide at the moment and probably won't start to get great results again until next season. Roll on the Australian Open.

mangoes
10-22-2006, 04:07 PM
No...... I'm sick of all the hype and McEnroe. I think McEnroe turns me off the most to this supposedly rivalry. But, rest assured, Berdych provided Madrid's entertaining match :ras: :lol: :lol: :lol:......ok, that was terrrible :lol:

Just Cause
10-22-2006, 04:09 PM
No...... I'm sick of all the hype and McEnroe. I think McEnroe turns me off the most to this supposedly rivalry. But, rest assured, Berdych provided Madrid's entertaining match :ras: :lol: :lol: :lol:......ok, that was terrrible :lol:

What rivalry...Federer is 3000points ahead of Nadal (he is a god:worship: )..
We are talking about finals.

Kalliopeia
10-22-2006, 04:13 PM

Well lucky for you Federer vs anyone else sure isn't going to increase your heart rate. :zzz:

mangoes
10-22-2006, 04:15 PM

Federer is not a god. He is just a very talented player. And the media is still going to try to promote a rivalry.

Johnny Groove
10-22-2006, 04:16 PM

leik OMG!!!1111 he iz schuch a GooD!!!!1!

Eden
10-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Tennis is not a sport between Roger and Rafa. Whoever makes it to the final deserves it to be there.

Just Cause

Federer is not a god. He is just a very talented player. And the media is still going to try to promote a rivalry.

Have you played tennis with with before? Zeus looks like a man when he is not beating up people.
And if Nadal cannot reach the final on fast surfcaes, there will not be a rivalry. Once Nadal comes up, this will be a scary rivalry.

markom

after shanghai its gonna be over 4000 !!!!!!!! in fact if he plays in paris then its just two weeks ahead !!! and after shanghai it will be very close to like 5000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he has more points then 2nd and 3rd combined (both race & entry !!!!) and could be soon extended on 4th !!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

talking about clowns :wavey:

yanchr
10-22-2006, 04:18 PM
Definitely not. Nadal always prevents Roger from delivering his best performance, which means I won't get to see beautiful tennis like today...And, I can't stand Nadal's on court demeanor...

DrJules
10-22-2006, 04:21 PM
I think McEnroe turns me off the most to this supposedly rivalry.

How?

Just Cause
10-22-2006, 04:22 PM
after shanghai its gonna be over 4000 !!!!!!!!

he has more points then 2nd and 3rd combined (both race & entry !!!!) and could be soon extended on 4th !!!!!!!!!!!

talking about clowns :wavey:

Federer....:worship: :worship: :worship:...
I think the problem is most people dont think they can beat Federer, but not Nadal. IF they think they dont think they can beat Nadal, then Nadal will be really good.

canbera
10-22-2006, 04:24 PM
well.... two of four grand slam finals included Federer-Nadal and two more MS events. it's not that bad actually. and I'm sure Nadal will show a good performance at the AO next year.

Leo
10-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Nostalgic? It's only been a few months. I'm sure they're gonna play again.

bandabou
10-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Only was a rivalry on clay...that's it. Put Nadal on any other surface and this is what you get: no finals most of the time.

alfonsojose
10-22-2006, 04:54 PM
No.

Fergie
10-22-2006, 04:55 PM
No really :lol:

Jlee
10-22-2006, 04:59 PM
I miss them. I'm a Federer fan and even when he's rolling he's fun to watch, but he's even more fun to watch when he's challenged. I don't think any other person in the world can challenge him like Nadal does every time they play. How can people say they're "sick of the rivalry"?? Either you're diehard Roger fans who can't even enjoy watching good tennis where he has to raise his level, or you don't enjoy tennis at all! It's exciting to think that on any given day number 2 can beat number 1. None of us would even care about tennis if there were no great matchups...no exciting rivalries.

bluefork
10-22-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm a big fan of Federer, but I kind of do miss his finals against Nadal, just as a tennis fan. Today's thrashing was just boring (and a little embarrassing for Gonzalez). At least Federer was sure to have a challenge when Nadal was in the final.

It doesn't have to be from Nadal necessarily, but I would like it if Federer got a big more of a challenge in some of these finals.

victory1
10-22-2006, 05:02 PM
No, I don't. That would mean I would have to watch Nadal play since I watch all Federer's match if they are on TV, and I don't enjoy watching him!

Fed-Express
10-22-2006, 05:04 PM
There are many many more great matches between the two to come.

belgampaul
10-22-2006, 05:07 PM
I don't miss Nadal and his on court rituals.

victory1
10-22-2006, 05:10 PM
I don't miss Nadal and his on court rituals.

Exactly, he gets on my nerve with adjusting his socks, picking his cheese, staring at the ball, posing, bouncing, then ball toss, 50 seconds later serve!!:rolleyes:

Exodus
10-22-2006, 05:14 PM
safin vs federer in finals is much better.

cmurray
10-22-2006, 05:18 PM
I miss them. I don't find these thrashings at all enjoyable. sigh.

cmurray
10-22-2006, 05:19 PM
I've been waiting and waiting for Safin to make it far enough in the draw to play roger. Maybe Paris.

bluefork
10-22-2006, 05:19 PM

I'd definitely be okay with that :)

Isn't it Safin's year to win Paris?

Exodus
10-22-2006, 05:21 PM
I'd definitely be okay with that :)

Isn't it Safin's year to win Paris?

yes it is :devil:

Peoples
10-22-2006, 05:21 PM
No - the quality of tennis is quite poor in Fed-Nad matches like in any match where one of the guys is just drawing errors from the other.

bpt7
10-22-2006, 05:30 PM
What I watn to see is a Federer-Safin final, or game...
True...I'd love to see Safin-Fedex or Even Fedex-Hewitt (when he plays well).
What else I'd really love to see would be Safin -Nadal ....and btw have this two ever faces each other before???

Rogiman
10-22-2006, 05:31 PM
safin vs federer in finals is much better.Yes! :D

guga2120
10-22-2006, 05:45 PM
i miss i wish Nadal would get his stuff together on hardcourts, i think as somebody already metioned pretty much everybody is just happy to be playing Federer and don't believe they can beat him.
The match in Rome was the best match of the year without a doubt. So much drama.

I hope they meet in Shanghai, for the last match of the year.

Mechlan
10-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Yes, I miss them. The two seem to bring out the best in each other (most of the time) and the stakes alone generally make them more exciting. I'm sure we'll see them back at it next year.

Jlee
10-22-2006, 05:53 PM

Ohh, that would be amazing. Marat just needs to get his act together ;)

BlueSwan
10-22-2006, 05:55 PM
They'll be back soon enough. Nadal is much better on slow hardcourt events (like AO, Miami, etc) like the spring ones and of course on clay, than he is on faster hardcourt and indoors (i.e. basically all of the autumn events). Federer will be waiting in the finals as soon as Nadal lives up to his seeding.

Rafa = Fed Killa
10-22-2006, 06:13 PM
I miss it too.

I get bored of one sided matches and Nadal seems to be the only one who can push/beat Federer consistently.

mir
10-22-2006, 06:18 PM
Safin-Fed finals are still the best, hope 2007 will have a lot of those.
Would like a Safin-Nadal match, I believe they didn't meet on court yet.

kronus12
10-22-2006, 06:33 PM
yeah well only way that going to happen if Nadal like beat ppl he suppose to beat to meet fed in the final its not feds fault who he plays in the the final that guy deserves to be there not nadal if he can't beat lower ranked players.

buzz
10-22-2006, 07:37 PM
Yes i totally agree, but if nadal can't make the final the tournamentdirectors should consider asking federer to with his left arm or somthing :-)

Further I don't now what Marat will do with federers improved backhand. It might only be interesting for once......or one set..(again)

cris1085
10-22-2006, 07:49 PM
According to my opinion just Federer can reach every time the final and win. Nadal will lose some more matches in the future. For me it was boring last year because every time you just knew that n°1 and n°2 would get to the final. This year it's more interesting.

KaxMisha
10-22-2006, 07:55 PM
According to my opinion just Federer can reach every time the final and win. Nadal will lose some more matches in the future. For me it was boring last year because every time you just knew that n°1 and n°2 would get to the final. This year it's more interesting.

All of their final meetings have been THIS year...

Peoples
10-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Yes, I miss them. The two seem to bring out the best in each other (most of the time) and the stakes alone generally make them more exciting. I'm sure we'll see them back at it next year.
Oh yeah, best of Federer? Like losing a set on grass in the Wimbledon final where Roger always plays his best, to that clayballer? Totally disappearing after winning the 1st set of RG final? Self-destructing in Dubai?

Bagelicious
10-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Oh yeah, best of Federer? Like losing a set on grass in the Wimbledon final where Roger always plays his best, to that clayballer? Totally disappearing after winning the 1st set of RG final? Self-destructing in Dubai?

I agree with you - part of the reason I didn't like the Rivalry in the first place was because the Rome Final was the only match where they truly brought out the best in each other. In all their other matches the quality of play was patchy.

I'm actually looking forward to meeting them again, I can't help but feel that Roger must be pretty confident after the amazing year he's had and Nadal's lackluster performances since Wimbledon - any doubts he has should be minimal by now.

I feel that if the two were to meet now, it would be little more exciting to watch - and with a better chance of Roger winning instead of just fading away. Basically I'll be more of a fan of the Rivalry once it actually turns into one, as opposed the strange, bumpy chokefest it's been.

Corey Feldman
10-23-2006, 01:06 AM
I do.. i wanna see fed take some wins back of him but rafa is denying it by not making the finals lately ... then again i also dont give a monkeys if he's not there :D

also agree with an earlier post saying Fed v Safin, Hewitt or Roddick finals are far more exciting IMO

the classic foursome of a few years ago.

GlennMirnyi
10-23-2006, 01:38 AM
No. I don't like seeing 5 sets of heavy moonballing.

rmb6687
10-23-2006, 01:41 AM
I do.. i wanna see fed take some wins back of him but rafa is denying it by not making the finals lately ... then again i also dont give a monkeys if he's not there :D

also agree with an earlier post saying Fed v Safin, Hewitt or Roddick finals are far more exciting IMO

the classic foursome of a few years ago.

yeah, i totally agree. Even tho the eventual winner wasn't a big surprise, i was pleased to see someone else in the final. He didn't put up much of a fight, but still.

and yes, the foursome of not too very long ago was awesome...i didn't last long enough. Ah! and any Safin/Roger match whichever round...I need one now!

Metis
10-23-2006, 02:00 AM
I agree that a Safin-Federer final is an interesting prospect (although Feds has improved a lot since AO 05 and I think that a match between them would still be a one-sided affair until Safin shows he is back in full force), but Hewitt and Roddick, hmmmmm..... no thanks! :zzz: I'd rather watch Federer against Suzuki. :lol:

I hope that the changes that Nadal is trying to implement to his game (according to posts in other threads mentioning statements by Uncle Toni) will bear fruits soon. It seems to me that Nadal's recent performance during the US hardcourt season was a bit strange and he seemed unusually impatient and confused during his matches. It is possible that he is still trying to adapt to the new situation, which might affect his confidence as well. :shrug: I thought he was playing much better in Madrid though, especially as far as his serve is concerned.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, since all the above is just speculation at the moment...

Action Jackson
10-23-2006, 02:04 AM
No.

Pfloyd
10-23-2006, 02:27 AM
Nadal's fine. He's only 20, he can play like crap, and not win a tournie for 2 years and still come back and win more fench opens, a few australians and more clay court tournies and occasional hard court tournies too.

He has a career ahead of him, a hiccup in his road means nothing. Players improve based on there failings.

And meanwhile, Fed can breathe easily, cause as sonn as Nadal is back, that H2H will be extended by Nadal to the point were it wont be even funny.

:)

(Yeah, I have my tardish-side too)

Vamos Rafa!!!

GlennMirnyi
10-23-2006, 02:39 AM
Federer vs. Hewitt

'till 2003 - 22 year-old Hewitt : 2-7
'till 2006 - 25 year-old Hewitt: 11-7

Just wait and all of you'll see something nice.

guga2120
10-23-2006, 02:42 AM
Federer vs. Hewitt

Federer will close that gap, but if you think hes going to start running the table on Nadal on clay, your crazy. Hewitt was not that dominant on a surface.

artlinkletter
10-23-2006, 02:51 AM
Federer vs. Hewitt

I'm not sure if you can compare what happened with Lleyton to Nadal for the simple fact that Roger is 5 years older than Nadal, where as Roger is the same age is Lleyton. You've gotta think that with time (a few years), Roger's performances are not going be as strong as they are now.

GlennMirnyi
10-23-2006, 02:59 AM
Federer will close that gap, but if you think hes going to start running the table on Nadal on clay, your crazy. Hewitt was not that dominant on a surface.

Hewitt won London 3 times '00 - '02, 's-Hertogenbosch '01 and won Wimbledon in '02. His record in the US Open is something like 21-3 from '00 to '03.

Hewitt is far better than Nadal outside clay. I can easily say that the dominance of Nadal on clay Hewitt could make up by doing a lot better on other surfaces.

bandabou
10-23-2006, 05:09 AM
It depends...I don't like watch an offensive player going against a defensive player...just waiting for the eror most of the time. Safin vs Roger is way more interesting...the two most talented players going at it...

mrserenawilliams
10-23-2006, 05:27 AM
i do...they were the perfect contrast

MariaV
10-23-2006, 07:35 AM
I do.

Mechlan
10-23-2006, 07:45 AM

The only poor match of those 3 was the RG final. Surprised that Roger lost a set to Nadal when he absolutely dominated the rest of the field at Wimbledon? Maybe it had something to do with his opponent.

Yes, Nadal brings out the best in Federer in the sense that he forces Roger to work on his weaknesses in a way no one else does.

moon language
10-23-2006, 08:03 AM
I'd love to see more matches between them. I love the contrast in personalities and styles and I don't care who wins, I just want some drama.

oz_boz
10-23-2006, 09:00 AM
I miss them. It's a shame Nadal hasn't reached any hc finals after Wimby :(, the surface should make their games even (at least in a matchup).

Blaze-2004, there are lots of players other than Nadal who don't shit their pants against Fed, but they have other problems.