------------------------- [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

-------------------------

Just Cause
10-22-2006, 04:35 PM
ATP Basel: Nadal pulls out of Davidoff Swiss Indoors
October 22, 2006
by Susan Seemiller

As confirmed on Rafael Nadal's Official Site, the World No. 2 has pulled out of the Davidoff Swiss Indoors in Basel, which begins next week. Nadal's goal is to be fit and ready for the BNP Paribas Masters in Paris Bercy, which begins on October 30. Nadal said, "I am training hard and with enthusiasm for a long time. And right now I'm achieving to become a more comprehensive tennis player, better serve. My forehand drive is working well now. Backhand is usually good. I'm at a very good stage of my career."

The Spaniard does not need any extra ranking points this year, as both he and World No. 1 Roger Federer of Switzerland qualified for the year-end Tennis Masters Cup months ago. Federer's position as year-end No. 1 is confirmed, and no one can dispute Nadal's No. 2 position. They both own all the Slam titles this year, with Federer winning the Australian Open, US Open and Wimbledon, where he beat Nadal in the final. A few weeks before, Nadal beat Federer in the Roland Garros final.

Other top players are competing to secure their spots in the final eight for the Shanghai Tennis Masters Cup. Nadal and Federer have no such worries. Having already qualified, they are looking for a strong finish in Shanghai, and a good start for next year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Nadal will play on the fastest service he has seen all year.
His nemesis Berdych will defend.