New player forums [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

New player forums

Steve
10-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Ok, there are alot of requests for players forums however we can not keep adding and removing any time we want. So here is what we will do.

Over the next 7 days post your suggestions in here. Afterwards I will set up a poll and we will run votes. Once we come up with the list of new players forums we will add them and then there will be no player forums for 4 months, at which point we will do this all over again. We will come up with a schedule for these "elections"
I will also go through all the current forums and find out which ones are lacking activity. Those will be removed to make space for the new forums.
Please do not make this a conversation thread. it is here for suggestions and if at the end of 7 days there are 3.6 million posts of "bla bla bla" I will probably miss some suggestions.

Foosimoo
10-22-2006, 03:25 PM
So will the comments in the threads that have been created recently be ignored? :shrug:

I suggest Olivier Rochus. :wavey:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=88263

Steve
10-22-2006, 03:29 PM
So will the comments in the threads that have been created recently be ignored? :shrug:

I suggest Olivier Rochus. :wavey:

Lets start over but if there is a thread post a link to that thread in your request

Foosimoo
10-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Lets start over but if there is a thread post a link to that thread in your request

Gotcha..post edited. :yeah:

Choupi
10-22-2006, 03:49 PM
And I suggest a forum for Agustin Calleri.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=88348

Fee
10-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Please don't close the Gambill forum. He's injured and so we haven't had much to talk about in a while. If it's still dead after he comes back (hopefully in January), then I'll be the first to suggest closing it at that time. Thanks.

Deboogle!.
10-22-2006, 11:31 PM
There had also been an unanswered request for a Malisse forum
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=88356

I would like to nominate Sam Querrey for a forum, because I think by 4 months from now he will be ranked much higher and people are already talking about him a lot and he is doing really well, etc :)

Just out of curiosity Steve, how will you decide which forums to remove?

revolution
10-22-2006, 11:49 PM
I support a forum for Sam Querrey :worship:

marti_228
10-23-2006, 01:35 AM
And I suggest a forum for Agustin Calleri.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=88348

Same here.

Nathaliia
10-23-2006, 08:58 AM
Calleri forum!

(please don't remove Monfils forum.... he's a good young boy, just people don't like him all that much :scared: )

CooCooCachoo
10-23-2006, 11:30 AM
I think an Italian Forum is in order :p

Lee
10-23-2006, 03:03 PM
How about another forum for retired players so that we can move them from the current playing players forum?

And if any of them comes out from retirement, we can move them back.

Deboogle!.
10-23-2006, 03:26 PM
ooohhhhh good idea :)

angiel won't like Pete's forum being moved to such a place, though?;)

Lee
10-23-2006, 03:53 PM
ooohhhhh good idea :)

angiel won't like Pete's forum being moved to such a place, though?;)

I really don't see the difference as long as their fans can still post.

adee-gee
10-23-2006, 04:47 PM
Please don't close the Montcourt forum, we're a small bunch but we worked hard to get the forum :awww:

Deboogle!.
10-23-2006, 05:10 PM
I really don't see the difference as long as their fans can still post.I know, I was just being sarcastic :angel: I really think a forum for all the retired players that still have semi-active forums is an excellent idea.

El Legenda
10-23-2006, 06:23 PM
If you would just delete the Ljubicic and Berdych forums as I mentioned then we would not be running out of room for worthier prospects. :p

ljubicic forum is active..someone posts in there everyday...even you post in there :lol: as does MisterQ and partygirl :rolls:

---Benny---
10-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Yen-Hsun Lu

El Legenda
10-25-2006, 01:17 AM
Yen-Hsun Lu

is that a player or a food?:p

Jimnik
10-25-2006, 02:20 AM
Spaniards Costa and Corretja have retired and I don't think there was ever much activity in these forums. Also South Americans Lapentti and Canas are getting old and there's not much activity. These 4 forums could be removed.

I can't believe Rochus doesn't have a forum. He seems to be one of the most popular players.

Hendu
10-25-2006, 03:22 AM
Spaniards Costa and Corretja have retired and I don't think there was ever much activity in these forums. Also South Americans Lapentti and Canas are getting old and there's not much activity. These 4 forums could be removed.

I can't believe Rochus doesn't have a forum. He seems to be one of the most popular players.

:rolleyes:

Cañas forum is alive. He has been in a long suspension, but he is back and his fans are also back posting. That message board has new posts every day.

10-25-2006, 04:31 AM

Cañas forum is alive. He has been in a long suspension, but he is back and his fans are also back posting. That message board has new posts every day.
Yes indeed :D Go Willy :yeah: Besides I thought Steve was going to make the decisions on the Forums to be closed and that he was just asking for input on what new players posters wanted Forums for :confused:

LaTenista
10-25-2006, 05:29 AM

I suggest combining the Costa and Corretja forums into one and then moving it to the retired players forum Lee suggested. Lapentti is still playing, didn't he win a challenger a few weeks ago? And I know Willy won one about a month ago so I think those should stay put at least until the next vote in 4 months.

I think Nicolas Almagro and Julien Benneteau deserve forums.

10-25-2006, 05:47 AM
I suggest combining the Costa and Corretja forums into one and then moving it to the retired players forum Lee suggested. Lapentti is still playing, didn't he win a challenger a few weeks ago? And I know Willy won one about a month ago so I think those should stay put at least until the next vote in 4 months.

I like Lee's idea of putting the retired players in one Forum. But I'm not sure how that gives MTF additional space for new Forums :confused: Isn't that just moving Forums from one area to another area?

Lee
10-25-2006, 05:53 AM
I like Lee's idea of putting the retired players in one Forum. But I'm not sure how that gives MTF additional space for new Forums :confused: Isn't that just moving Forums from one area to another area?

Don't worry Mae! ;) Leave the technical details in the good hands of Steve. :)

10-25-2006, 05:57 AM
Don't worry Mae! ;) Leave the technical details in the good hands of Steve. :)
Believe me Lee I'm more than happy to leave all of this up to Steve :D BTW I love your Avatar :lol:

Hendu
10-25-2006, 02:18 PM

What do results have to do with anything???

A player deserves a forum if he has posters who want to "talk" about them. (of course there usually are more posters if there are positive results)

I invite you to visit Cañas message board, you will see it has new posts every day. There are many posters who are following his comeback.

And this thread is for asking for new players forums... not to say which have to be closed :confused: :o

I would like a forum for Agustín Calleri.

Lee
10-25-2006, 03:54 PM
And this thread is for asking for new players forums... not to say which have to be closed :confused: :o

If you read Steve's post carefully, you will see he mentioned closing inactive forums too.

Hendu
10-25-2006, 05:25 PM
If you read Steve's post carefully, you will see he mentioned closing inactive forums too.

But he didn't ask for posters to tell the ones that should be closed. Thats just wrong.

Ok, there are alot of requests for players forums however we can not keep adding and removing any time we want. So here is what we will do.

Over the next 7 days post your suggestions in here. Afterwards I will set up a poll and we will run votes. Once we come up with the list of new players forums we will add them and then there will be no player forums for 4 months, at which point we will do this all over again. We will come up with a schedule for these "elections"
I will also go through all the current forums and find out which ones are lacking activity. Those will be removed to make space for the new forums.
Please do not make this a conversation thread. it is here for suggestions and if at the end of 7 days there are 3.6 million posts of "bla bla bla" I will probably miss some suggestions.

10-25-2006, 06:01 PM
But he didn't ask for posters to tell the ones that should be closed. Thats just wrong.
I had also made a comment about this in post #23 of this thread. Steve did clearly say that he was going to be looking at the Forums to see which ones were lacking activity. And believe me I'm more than happy to let Steve decide which Forums should be closed. That's a job I wouldn't want.

Deboogle!.
10-25-2006, 06:34 PM
I can't speak for him but I am sure Steve appreciates the feedback in both directions - what player forums to add and ALSO which ones might be able to be closed. We probably know what goes on in the player forums more than Steve does, so I'm sure he appreciates the input :)

Hendu
10-25-2006, 06:41 PM
I can't speak for him but I am sure Steve appreciates the feedback in both directions - what player forums to add and ALSO which ones might be able to be closed. We probably know what goes on in the player forums more than Steve does, so I'm sure he appreciates the input :)

The thread would become a mess.

10-25-2006, 06:59 PM

Steve asked for suggestions for new player forums. He clearly said "I will also go through all the current forums and find out which ones are lacking activity." There are posters here who don't like certain players so the feedback Steve might be getting would have a bias to it. So lets leave it to Steve.

bad gambler
10-25-2006, 08:15 PM
It's not a case of which players people hate or like, it's all about activity - it doesn't take a rocket scientists to figure out those forums that are lacking activity at the moment based on the lack of posting that occurs in them ;)

Lee
10-25-2006, 08:23 PM
It's not a case of which players people hate or like, it's all about activity - it doesn't take a rocket scientists to figure out those forums that are lacking activity at the moment based on the lack of posting that occurs in them ;)

I agree but on the other hand, as already mentioned players like Cañas just returned to the circuit, his forum will be lots more active once he makes it back to ATP tournament next year. Or like Guga.

Yes, these forums still have posting there but a lot less when the players were playing actively. I have nothing against Steve but his knowledge in tennis, IMO, is a lot less than most posters here :shrug: Suggestions here are to provide more information for him to make the decisions.

Hendu
10-25-2006, 08:24 PM

Yes.

Thats why it is up to Steve to close those message boards. There is no point for posters saying which forums should be deleted. As it is not a matter of opinion but about cold numbers.

Posters calling to shut down forums would only generate useless "fights".

LaTenista
10-25-2006, 08:27 PM
What do results have to do with anything???

A player deserves a forum if he has posters who want to "talk" about them. (of course there usually are more posters if there are positive results)

I invite you to visit Cañas message board, you will see it has new posts every day. There are many posters who are following his comeback.

I would like a forum for Agustín Calleri.

I have been over there and I happen to like Willy. Merely trying to point out to some people that he and Lapentti are not "retired". :wavey:

Hendu
10-25-2006, 08:28 PM
I agree but on the other hand, as already mentioned players like Cañas just returned to the circuit, his forum will be lots more active once he makes it back to ATP tournament next year. Or like Guga.

Yes, these forums still have posting there but a lot less when the players were playing actively. I have nothing against Steve but his knowledge in tennis, IMO, is a lot less than most posters here :shrug: Suggestions here are to provide more information for him to make the decisions.

Tennis knowledge has nothing to do with this. :confused:

shotgun
10-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Yes, asking members to randomly opinate on which forums should be closed is obviously asking for trouble.

Perhaps Steve should scan the players forums to see which forums exactly lack activity and that would be the starting point for any eventual decision.

LaTenista
10-25-2006, 08:32 PM

Lee suggested a sub-forum for retired players. I think it would be silly to assume Steve knows which players are retired.

And for the record I was not suggesting any player forum be deleted.

bad gambler
10-25-2006, 08:33 PM

Exactly

The title of this thread should pretty much tell you what the purpose of this thread is, it's not to suggest for those that should be closed :confused:

Hendu
10-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Yes, asking members to randomly opinate on which forums should be closed is obviously asking for trouble.

Perhaps Steve should scan the players forums to see which forums exactly lack activity and that would be the starting point for any eventual decision.

Well, thats what I thought Steve would do when I read his first post.

Deboogle!.
10-25-2006, 08:37 PM
I think some of you aren't getting the suggestions Lee and others have made.

We know more about tennis than Steve, he freely admits this, so I see nothing wrong or argumentative about us helping him decide which ones are actually inactive enough to close. What Lee is saying is that there are some player forums like Canas's or Guga's that may not be active RIGHT NOW but when these players become more active, the forums will increase in activity as such. If we didn't tell Steve about this, maybe he wouldn't know and he'd close the forums. I haven't seen one suggestion from someone in here just stating their opinion about some forum not being good enough or whatever, no one has said anything out of dislike for a particular player or anything, so I fail to see how this is going to turn into a fight.

And I think it might be a little naive to think that, regardless of what the thread title is, if Steve mentions in his post player forums being closed, that people are not also gonna talk about that. :shrug:

My gosh.

bad gambler
10-25-2006, 08:37 PM
Lee suggested a sub-forum for retired players. I think it would be silly to assume Steve knows which players are retired.

Don't worry, word is that Neely, Carlita and some of the other female mods here are pretty handy with the baseball bats, so they will be wielding it around should Steve make any uninformed decisions :scared:

Hendu
10-25-2006, 08:40 PM

We know more about tennis than Steve, he freely admits this, so I see nothing wrong or argumentative about us helping him decide which ones are actually inactive enough to close. What Lee is saying is that there are some player forums like Canas's or Guga's that may not be active RIGHT NOW but when these players become more active, the forums will increase in activity as such. If we didn't tell Steve about this, maybe he wouldn't know and he'd close the forums. I haven't seen one suggestion from someone in here just stating their opinion about some forum not being good enough or whatever, no one has said anything out of dislike for a particular player or anything, so I fail to see how this is going to turn into a fight.

And I think it might be a little naive to think that, regardless of what the thread title is, if Steve mentions in his post player forums being closed, that people are not also gonna talk about that. :shrug:

My gosh.

Lee
10-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Posters calling to shut down forums would only generate useless "fights".

To avoid useless "fights", the best way is not to response. So this is the last time I am responding to your posts. But I would suggest you to have a little bit more sense of humour and don't take every posts too seriously. Especially tangy's ;)

I guess English is not your first language, I will try to explain this again. I highly doubt Steve knows about Cañas suspension, Guga and Jan Mike Gambill injuries, etc which may contribute to the lowered level of postings in their forums. That's why some posters mentioned the information here to let Steve knows that the forums' activities would pick up once the players return to active status.

shotgun
10-25-2006, 08:48 PM

My gosh.

So if Steve followed the suggestions here, he would be considering to delete the following players forums:

- Ljubicic
- Berdych
- Canas
- Lapentti
- Kuerten

All of them had posts in the last 24 hours.

Hendu
10-25-2006, 08:50 PM
To avoid useless "fights", the best way is not to response. So this is the last time I am responding to your posts. But I would suggest you to have a little bit more sense of humour and don't take every posts too seriously. Especially tangy's ;)

I hardly ever fight, so thats not a risk.

I never mentioned Tangy, or that thread...

I guess English is not your first language, I will try to explain this again.

Oh thank you for taking the time...

I highly doubt Steve knows about Cañas suspension, Guga and Jan Mike Gambill injuries, etc which may contribute to the lowered level of postings in their forums. That's why some posters mentioned the information here to let Steve knows that the forums' activities would pick up once the players return to active status.

If thats the case, Steve should tell what are the message boards with not enough activity, and then the posters could start to discuss about the reasons for that, and if it is temporary or simply not enough people care about that player.

But starting an open discussion on what forums should be closed, without knowing the activity of the forums its ridiculous. I know you have good intentions, but it would make this thread a mess.

bad gambler
10-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Guga has got to go Renato :p

shotgun
10-25-2006, 08:55 PM
Guga has got to go Renato :p

:lol: That's not the point, if his forum was inactive, then I wouldn't have a problem with it being closed.

Maybe a forum for retired players would be a good idea though.

Deboogle!.
10-25-2006, 08:56 PM
So if Steve followed the suggestions here, he would be considering to delete the following players forums:

- Ljubicic
- Berdych
- Canas
- Lapentti
- Kuerten

All of them had posts in the last 24 hours.I think everyone, even Steve, knows that Tangy is not serious in her suggestions to close the Berdych and Ljubicic forums. As for the other three, I don't think they should be closed, but I can reasonably see why they were brought up :shrug:

Plus there haven't even been that many viable suggestions for new forums..... Querrey, Malisse, Calleri, Oli Rochus, Italians in general.... :shrug:

shotgun
10-25-2006, 09:03 PM
I think everyone, even Steve, knows that Tangy is not serious in her suggestions to close the Berdych and Ljubicic forums.

Maybe, maybe not.

As for the other three, I don't think they should be closed, but I can reasonably see why they were brought up :shrug:

Any forum can be brought up, but if people want to have a serious discussion, maybe they should look before if the forum is active or not. If not, the discussion will be nowhere near productive. That's my point.

Hendu
10-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Any forum can be brought up, but if people want to have a serious discussion, maybe they should look before if the forum is active or not. If not, the discussion will be nowhere near productive. That's my point.

I completely agree.

10-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Exactly

The title of this thread should pretty much tell you what the purpose of this thread is, it's not to suggest for those that should be closed :confused:
I agree. BTW I love your Avatar BG :D Lets do what Steve asked us to do in the first place. So far players mentioned for Forums are: O. Rochus, A. Calleri, X. Malisse, S. Querrey, Yen-Hsun Lu, N. Almagro, and J. Benneteau.

Steve
10-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Don't worry, word is that Neely, Carlita and some of the other female mods here are pretty handy with the baseball bats, so they will be wielding it around should Steve make any uninformed decisions :scared:

:scared: :scared: :scared:

Steve
10-25-2006, 10:10 PM
I have no intention of closing a forum based on assumptions. We are all here together so we can definately work someething out. I can provide stats to each forum... ie. page views, posts, forum activity etc etc So I will get those then we have to look ahead... was the player injured the past feew weeks? Will it get busy again based upon upcoming events? Etc Etc
Dont worry about forums closing for the time being, who knows, maybe none will but we have to organize the requests and we cant keep have spuratic forums pop up everywhere. So lets talk about what new ones are needed and we will organise things from there.

shotgun
10-25-2006, 10:17 PM
I have no intention of closing a forum based on assumptions. We are all here together so we can definately work someething out. I can provide stats to each forum... ie. page views, posts, forum activity etc etc So I will get those then we have to look ahead... was the player injured the past feew weeks? Will it get busy again based upon upcoming events? Etc Etc
Dont worry about forums closing for the time being, who knows, maybe none will but we have to organize the requests and we cant keep have spuratic forums pop up everywhere. So lets talk about what new ones are needed and we will organise things from there.

:yeah:

revolution
10-25-2006, 11:41 PM

Spot on :yeah:

Hendu
10-26-2006, 03:07 AM

Great news. :cool:

10-26-2006, 03:50 AM
:yeah:

JMG
10-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Rochus' thread wasn't very active in the past.

adee-gee
10-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Steve do you take under the table payments? :cool:

I'll hand you a large sum in a briefcase to close the Federer forum :smoke:

Foosimoo
10-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Rochus' thread wasn't very active in the past.

Key words there=in the past. ;)

Fee
10-28-2006, 05:42 AM
Steve do you take under the table payments? :cool:

I'll hand you a large sum in a briefcase to close the Federer forum :smoke:

v-briefcase, Mr Moneybags?

adee-gee
10-28-2006, 09:17 AM
v-briefcase, Mr Moneybags?
It'll have to be real money, I'm vpoor now :sad:

10-29-2006, 01:20 AM
It'll have to be real money, I'm vpoor now :sad:
Oh it's so nice that posters are starting to join me as being v-poor :p You just can't make up the v-Cash if you make a poor bet like you could when posts were worth more v-Cash :sad:

Foosimoo
10-30-2006, 12:16 AM
7 days has passed...lets get these polls started. :rocker2:

lau
11-11-2006, 09:56 AM
What happened with this? It would be nice to have a Calleri forum :)

Foosimoo
11-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Yeah, is anything going to happen with the new forums? :scratch:

11-14-2006, 06:54 PM
Yeah, is anything going to happen with the new forums? :scratch:
It seems like this has been forgotten about :shrug: