Lundgren confirmed as GB Davis Cup coach! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Lundgren confirmed as GB Davis Cup coach!

adee-gee
10-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Good appointment to work alongside captain John Lloyd :)

My only concern would be too many big names in there, can Lloyd, Lundgren and possibly Gilbert work alongside each other, I'd imagine there will be a lot of differences of opinion.

We certainly can't complain we haven't got the coaching pedigree anymore :lol:

Peter Lundgren has joined the Great Britain team as Davis Cup coach.
The Swede will work with GB captain John Lloyd in preparing for the home tie with the Netherlands next April.

Lundgren, who has previously coached Roger Federer and Marat Safin, worked with the GB team before last month's win in Ukraine.

A Lawn Tennis Association statement said: "He will spend the coming months preparing a squad of players for the match against the Netherlands."

Lloyd said: "Peter played a key role in our victory over the Ukraine last month and I am very excited that he is joining the team.

"We have a crucial tie coming up against the Netherlands in April and I am looking forward to working with Peter to create a team that is capable of taking us into the World Group in 2008."

LTA chief executive Roger Draper added: "Peter is a world-class coach with a fantastic record of working with champions.

"Success in Davis Cup is one of our key objectives and Peter's experience and enthusiasm will be an important factor in helping us to achieve this.

"John and Peter can count on the complete support of the wider team to help us get back into the World Group."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6074720.stm

NeverSayDie
10-22-2006, 01:27 PM
:bounce: Lets hope they coach GB to DC victory......:unsure: ;)

Nitefaery
10-22-2006, 01:30 PM
:woohoo:

TheBoiledEgg
10-22-2006, 03:38 PM
having all these coaches to help the Davis Cup team and their top players is pointless when the whole LTA system is totally useless.

David Kenzie
10-22-2006, 04:02 PM
having all these coaches to help the Davis Cup team and their top players is pointless when the whole LTA system is totally useless.

That was exactly what I was thinking... The money would be better spent building more indoor tennis courts around the country.

Whistleway
10-22-2006, 04:07 PM
if GB has money to burn, please donate it to africa :)

coral
10-23-2006, 03:46 PM
What GB needs is players to coach! Andy Murray can't do it on his own as it looks like Greg won't be around much longer and why should Tim come back when he's more than done his bit for Davis Cup tennis.

We need some new young players and a doubles team. I'm sure the Murray Bros are keen to be that team but it still means Andy playing on three consecutive days as T & G used to.

Can Lundgren sort that out? It's John Lloyd's job to pick the team.

GlennMirnyi
10-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Maybe this time GB won't lose to Israel... :lol:

revolution
10-23-2006, 05:14 PM
if Henman comes back we have a decent chance of making the world group again, providing we get lucky for once and not get away on clay playoff.

GlennMirnyi
10-23-2006, 05:18 PM
if Henman comes back we have a decent chance of making the world group again, providing we get lucky for once and not get away on clay playoff.

Maybe you get Brazil in the PO. Even on clay it's completely possible, if Henman plays. :lol: :sad:

Lee
10-23-2006, 05:55 PM
My only concern would be too many big names in there, can Lloyd, Lundgren and possibly Gilbert work alongside each other, I'd imagine there will be a lot of differences of opinion.

:o You really think Gilbert will do anything in LTA aside from coaching Murray. :rolleyes:

Good luck Peter :p