Whose style of play is more injury prone? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Whose style of play is more injury prone?

vahep
10-22-2006, 03:21 AM
You would think it would be the grinding Nadal, but Roddick's name has been mentioned as well. Which one do you think is going to be hampered more by injuries in the future?

Deboogle!.
10-22-2006, 03:28 AM
Andy's had a lot of dumb injuries, but none of them have to do with his game style really. He's prone to spraining his ankles (but so am I :lol: ), he has a knee issue that he's had since at least juniors when he had to have it operated on and stuff, and he's had the random ache and pain like every other player, but he's never had anything wrong with his arm/shoulder from his serving, at least not that I am aware of. If anything, Andy gets hurt not because of his particular style of play but because he's a klutzy goof who trips over himself a lot and stuff :p

I think the cries that Nadal will be troubled by injuries in a few years are also vastly overrated; plenty of players have played very physical games that haven't had lots of injury problems. He was pretty injury-prone when he was young but that doesn't mean it's his game style that's causing it and it doesn't mean that'll continue :shrug:

And some people are just injury prone, regardless of their game style (or regardless of whether they're a tennis player or an athlete or whatever). some people just plain get hurt more often than others.

gusman890
10-22-2006, 04:02 AM
Hewitt has always been getting hurt, am i wrong?

Emilio
10-22-2006, 04:04 AM
safin

MisterQ
10-22-2006, 04:05 AM
Hewitt has always been getting hurt, am i wrong?

It's true, this style of play is just asking for trouble: ;)

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/01/12/gal_men_lley2_gallery__272x400.jpg

Deboogle!.
10-22-2006, 04:08 AM
Hewitt has always been getting hurt, am i wrong?I don't remember if he did when he was younger, but the past couple years yes. then again some of ihs problems have been: the hurt rib which was not tennis-related, a relatively serious toe problem which i don't see could really be related to his particular style of play, and tendinitis, which pretty much al lthese guys have periodically.safinBut not because of his style of play I don't think? Maybe he's just one of those people who I said were just more likely to get hurt for whatever reason.

I mean aside from a big server having shoulder or maybe back problems , a guy with a really wristy 2-hander having left wrist problems, a guy who defends/runs a lot having particularly abnormal feet/knee type problems, etc., I think it's hard to say someone's game is causing them injuries? :shrug:

*Viva Chile*
10-22-2006, 04:20 AM
one handed backhanders usually have elbow injuries
two handed backhanders generally have left hand wrist injuries (when they right handers)

guga2120
10-22-2006, 04:47 AM
Nadal throws himself at everypoint more than anybody, even more than Lleyton, if he lasts till he is 25 it will be great. Agassi said that nobody he has ever played tried harder, point for point.

kronus12
10-22-2006, 05:18 AM
FlashDed i diffently believe the way nadal plays contribute to all of his injuries of lately.
There was an article on one of the tennis site saying that nadal foot injury from last year was quite bad and that toni was trying to change his style knowing the way nadal plays he will be looking at alot of injuries in the future if something is not done.

here's the link to the story.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=arDJdbu.fSkM

Deboogle!.
10-22-2006, 05:25 AM
FlashDed i diffently believe the way nadal plays contribute to all of his injuries of lately.
There was an article on one of the tennis site saying that nadal foot injury from last year was quite bad and that toni was trying to change his style knowing the way nadal plays he will be looking at alot of injuries in the future if something is not done.

here's the link to the story.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=arDJdbu.fSkMMaybe yes, maybe no; i didn't say his game style would definitely not cause him any injuries, merely that some people here predict he will have to stop playing at some point soon because of it and I think that's maybe exaggerated. Point is, no one can say for sure at this point. Like I said, some people are simply injury-prone and gamestyle probably doesn't have a whole lot to do with it.

And anyway really, what's the difference? i mean, it's not like these guys can change their style all that much? What's Rafa gonna do, start hitting flat and serve volley all the time? :shrug: I mean it's an interesting academic discussion for us to talk about ..... but I dunno.

Joaquim
10-22-2006, 05:40 AM
Andy is more likely to get the single injury which could kill his career - blowing out his arm. But Rafa is more prone to injuring different parts of his body more frequently.

henree
10-22-2006, 07:45 AM
Speaking of Injuries. Federer is the only player in the top 50 not to have missed a slam in over 4 years. What does Federer do to keep himself injury free?

FluffyYellowBall
10-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Gael Monfils:p Leaving the court on a wheelchair. Too funny!!

*julie*
10-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Gael Monfils:p Leaving the court on a wheelchair. Too funny!!

You have a strange sense of humour :rolleyes: ...
but it's true that Monfils' style of play is rather dangerous.

Horatio Caine
10-22-2006, 01:25 PM
I'll be surprised if Nadal's body doesn't burn out on him within 5 years :shrug:

Horatio Caine
10-22-2006, 01:26 PM
You have a strange sense of humour :rolleyes: ...
but it's true that Monfils' style of play is rather dangerous.

I think he'll tone down soon enough... ;)

Naranoc
10-22-2006, 01:33 PM
I definitely think Nadal's play is more injury prone, which is why they are woring on adapting his serve so he can win more cheap points off it.