a fith GS or new MS? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

a fith GS or new MS?

Exodus
10-21-2006, 03:10 PM
do you think that China will get a GS or MS event with their booming economy and the strong demand from the chinese?

Horatio Caine
10-21-2006, 03:14 PM
They shouldn't get either one of those until the Masters Cup leaves their country...I'm disappointed that it is staying there for years on end...the idea of moving it around every year was good.

Adler
10-21-2006, 03:16 PM
New MS event. Should look like this:

H : Indian Wells, Miami, Canada, Stuttgart, Paris
C : Buenos Aires, Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Rome
G : London

Almost all parts of the world would be satisfied

LocoPorElTenis
10-21-2006, 03:18 PM
GS NO WAY. GSs are based on tradition, you can't make them up just like that. MS has a good chance the way the world is going.

Exodus
10-21-2006, 03:20 PM
They shouldn't get either one of those until the Masters Cup leaves their country...I'm disappointed that it is staying there for years on end...the idea of moving it around every year was good.

TMC is staying there for a good reason :money. I think the chinese pay alot of money just to have the master cup there and they are actually making money cos the chinese will go and see every match unlike in other places where only semi and final being sold out

uNIVERSE mAN
10-21-2006, 03:20 PM
New MS event. Should look like this:

H : Indian Wells, Miami, Canada, Stuttgart, Paris
C : Buenos Aires, Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Rome

Almost all parts of the world would be satisfied

why the hell are there six MS just in west europe?

uNIVERSE mAN
10-21-2006, 03:22 PM
monte carlo and madrid should be scrapped.

superhoops
10-21-2006, 03:31 PM
MS should be:

Indian Wells (hard)
Barcelona (clay)
Rome (clay)
Hamburg (clay)
London (grass)
Toronto (hard)
Cincinnati (hard)
An indoor hard court and carpet event preferably in Asia.

uNIVERSE mAN
10-21-2006, 03:34 PM
MS should be:

Indian Wells (hard)
Barcelona (clay)
Rome (clay)
Hamburg (clay)
London (grass)
Toronto (hard)
Cincinnati (hard)

we don't need three clay events. two is more than enough.

croat123
10-21-2006, 04:00 PM
MS should be:

Indian Wells (hard)
Barcelona (clay)
Rome (clay)
Hamburg (clay)
London (grass)
Toronto (hard)
Cincinnati (hard)

no miami :rolleyes: ??

replace barcelona with montecarlo, get rid of cincinnati and replace with beijing, and don't have a grass tms cause the grass court season is so short. have either paris or madrid, not both

superhoops
10-21-2006, 04:03 PM
no miami :rolleyes: ??

replace barcelona with montecarlo, get rid of cincinnati and replace with beijing, and don't have a grass tms cause the grass court season is so short. have either paris or madrid, not both

A grass MS is essential for players to prepare for Wimbledon and is a traditional surface. Cincinnati has much more history than Miami and china already has Shnghai so they don't need Beijing. Bangkok could be a MS though.

Saumon
10-21-2006, 04:05 PM
They can't get rid of Bercy, it'll break Marat's heart :sobbing:

Adler
10-21-2006, 04:38 PM
why the hell are there six MS just in west europe?
I wanted to satisfy every big european country and I didn't get rid of Monte Carlo, although I should have, cause it's so old that they won't make it an "ordinary" tournament, probably ISG

but if I was to modify, it would look like this:

H : Indian Wells, Miami, Canada, Beijing, Paris (last two indoors)
C : Buenos Aires, Barcelona, Hamburg, Rome

croat123
10-21-2006, 04:49 PM
A grass MS is essential for players to prepare for Wimbledon and is a traditional surface. Cincinnati has much more history than Miami and china already has Shnghai so they don't need Beijing. Bangkok could be a MS though.
miami is the biggest tournament outside the slams and it's in one of the very few strong tennis communities in the states
i heard that the fans at cincy suck :o

NicoFan
10-21-2006, 04:52 PM
i heard that the fans at cincy suck :o

You heard wrong. Fans are great, and its run very well...probably the most fan friendly tournament that I've been to.

That tennis kid
10-21-2006, 05:02 PM
I doubt the ATP will ever make a new Grand Slam but with Disney man in charge who knows?
Probably need to make changes to the schedule, but I don't really see why there is a need for a grass Master Series in London along with a grass Grand Slam and a grass tour event unless an upgrade of Queen's is being suggested.

Federer&Hingis
10-21-2006, 05:21 PM
MS-Sydney (Outdoor Hard)
GS-Australian Open (Outdoor Hard)
MS-Miami (Outdoor Hard)
MS-Buenos Aires (Clay)
MS-Monte Carlo (Clay)
MS-Rome (Clay)
GS-French Open (Clay)
MS-London (Grass)
GS-Wimbledon (Grass)
MS-Indian Wells (Outdoor Hard)
MS-Canada (Outdoor Hard)
GS-U.S. Open (Outdoor Hard)
MS-Stuttgart (indoor Carpet)
MS-Beijing (indoor Carpet)
MC-South Africa (Indoor Hard)

Exodus
10-21-2006, 05:23 PM
should be a indoor MS or GS in Beijing

Adler
10-21-2006, 05:23 PM
should be a indoor MS or GS in Beijing
it's in my 2nd plan mate :)

amierin
10-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Instead of Stuttgart why not keep Madrid? This was the best men's line up outside of a grand slam in a long time. With a well done draw as well.

CmonAussie
10-21-2006, 07:51 PM
MS-Sydney (Outdoor Hard)
GS-Australian Open (Outdoor Hard)
MS-Miami (Outdoor Hard)
MS-Buenos Aires (Clay)
MS-Monte Carlo (Clay)
MS-Rome (Clay)
GS-French Open (Clay)
MS-London (Grass)
GS-Wimbledon (Grass)
MS-Indian Wells (Outdoor Hard)
MS-Canada (Outdoor Hard)
GS-U.S. Open (Outdoor Hard)
MS-Stuttgart (indoor Carpet)~~this should be Madrid;)
MS-Beijing (indoor Carpet)
MC-South Africa (Indoor Hard)
:wavey:
I like it:cool:

buddyholly
10-21-2006, 07:56 PM
People seem to forget that the Slams are not ATP events. A country doesn't just get a Slam. I suppose China could have a Tennis Open and hope that it would become so big that eventually it is recognized with the same ranking points as the four Slams. Very unlikely.

CmonAussie
10-21-2006, 08:00 PM
People seem to forget that the Slams are not ATP events. A country doesn't just get a Slam. I suppose China could have a Tennis Open and hope that it would become so big that eventually it is recognized with the same ranking points as the four Slams. Very unlikely.
:wavey:
Good point buddy:cool: ~>> No amount of money can manufacture history;)

buddyholly
10-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Instead of Stuttgart why not keep Madrid? This was the best men's line up outside of a grand slam in a long time. With a well done draw as well.

Well, maybe since Miami, all of six long months ago..

Dancing Hero
10-21-2006, 08:07 PM
They can have an MS event. MS tournaments can change anyway from year to year etc. GS? No way. Can't manufacture sporting history and tradition like that, the big four are fine.

Johnny Groove
10-21-2006, 08:12 PM
how about just leaving the schedule the way it is? :shrug:

musefanatic
10-21-2006, 08:49 PM
I hope they don't get another grand slam, the whole point of grand slams are that they are so historic and prestigious so they shouldn't be tampered with at all.

I agree they should either keep the schedule the way it is or if they must add another Masters Series but certainly nopt a grandslam

Adler
10-21-2006, 08:52 PM
how about just leaving the schedule the way it is? :shrug:
most of it is acceptable, but someone should do sth about discrimination of grass, that's one, and two, the gap between FO and Wimbledon is too small, but there was lots of post on MTF concerning this

another thing I'd like to change, but it's not that necessary, is to make IW and Miami a normal one-week event. Now it's a quasi-Grand Slam, and therefore - a joke IMO

Melvins
10-21-2006, 09:19 PM
THIS THREAD:cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

A new Grand Slam? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And why masters-series discussion if we already know that ATP Tour will change this series by 4/5 Mini Slams?

ATP director talked about Asia (Beijing or Shangai) to get a indoor Mini Slam. Madrid should get the clay Mini Slam, Toronto/Montreal summers HC Mini Slam and, probably, Miami to the March Mini Slam!

Dem0
10-21-2006, 10:30 PM
I like the schedule like it is, but if it has to be changed, I would be against adding or changing a GS, and talking about TMS, I think Barcelona deserves one, it has a very nice ISG with a lot of tradition too... and I wouldn't mind the London/Queen's Club tournament "upgrading" to TMS category.

Damita
10-21-2006, 10:42 PM
MS should be:

Indian Wells (hard)
Barcelona (clay)
Rome (clay)
Hamburg (clay)
London (grass)
Toronto (hard)
Cincinnati (hard)
An indoor hard court and carpet event preferably in Asia.They won't get rid of Bercy, this tournaments attracts more and more people every year (they even raised the prices of tickets this year due to this success :mad: ). Wasn't it Hambourg which, on the contrary, was facing a lack of interest from the public? plus it's always cold and players complain about the weather and the quality (or lack of it) of the clay every year :rolleyes: ...
Anyway it's the same discussion every year at the same time. Let's just wait and see.

Adler
10-21-2006, 10:42 PM
ATP director talked about Asia (Beijing or Shangai) to get a indoor Mini Slam. Madrid should get the clay Mini Slam, Toronto/Montreal summers HC Mini Slam and, probably, Miami to the March Mini Slam!
Gosh, what's next? Medium slams?
It becomes riddiculous with time

Damita
10-21-2006, 10:45 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of Disney :p

Melvins
10-21-2006, 11:11 PM
I like the schedule like it is, but if it has to be changed, I would be against adding or changing a GS, and talking about TMS, I think Barcelona deserves one, it has a very nice ISG with a lot of tradition too... and I wouldn't mind the London/Queen's Club tournament "upgrading" to TMS category.

Did you get Barcelona tournament?:confused:

I always hear that Barcelona tournament don't has good conditions and Estoril's ambience is better.

Boris Franz Ecker
10-21-2006, 11:14 PM
A new slam? not impossible.

Remember, Australia got one in the 80ies. Earlier they had only a pseudo slam.

ExcaliburII
10-21-2006, 11:16 PM
south america should have a MS

Melvins
10-21-2006, 11:17 PM

"Mini Slams" is the name to the 4/5 big tournaments behind Grand Slams. It's a designation, you can not like it, but what is the problem? Could stay Masters Series or another name. But this is not important.

The concept of Mini Slams is a mixed tournament (w/ WTA) and 2 weeks of tournament.

Didn't you had to hear this?:confused:

So, it's ridiculous discuss 9/10 Masters Series if they will end in 2008.

Johnny Groove
10-21-2006, 11:23 PM
A fifth slam :rolleyes:

TennisGrandSlam
10-21-2006, 11:47 PM
do you think that China will get a GS or MS event with their booming economy and the strong demand from the chinese?

Fifth GS :devil:

China has no tennis history, 4 Slam is enough :cool:

But if possible, China can hold 1 ATP Masters Series

But AMS may be abolish in 2009.