Berdych: I did nothing wrong yesterday [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Berdych: I did nothing wrong yesterday

Alvarillo
10-21-2006, 04:00 PM
he said to spanish tv
he has said that he only defetaed Nadal, nothing wrong ....

ehmmm, Thomas, the crowd has been rude with you, everyone watched it but everyone also watched what you did ... so .... don't lie!

selesfan
10-21-2006, 04:01 PM
He didn't do anything rude, I can't believe he stopped for an oncourt interview. I would have told them to go to hell.

LLeytonRules
10-21-2006, 04:02 PM
The Madrid crowd is disgraceful!!!!!!I hope they remove the masters from Madrid, punish them!!!U idiots have no class!!!

Horatio Caine
10-21-2006, 04:03 PM
What is wrong with telling the crowd to shut up? Is that any more wrong than berating a linesperson or umpire? :shrug:

Kip
Whatever!

I applaud Tomas!

They were acting like jerks because
he dared to beat their boy and tried to
hush them because they were being so
obnoxious!

Pardon me, but if it had been
me I'd have had some choice words
for that crowd and their whinning!

Horatio Caine
They should move the Masters to Birmingham :yeah:

nobama
Did we need a new thread for this? :rolleyes:

Alvarillo
10-21-2006, 04:04 PM
He didn't do anything rude, I can't believe he stopped for an oncourt interview. I would have told them to go to hell.

:o
he did it, do you need a picture ? ;)
as Corretja has said, he could have left the tournament as a hero, but after he did, he leaves it as a villainous
Alex also said that these matches will make Thomas more mature and he will learn to how to deal with a rude crowd, maybe he should have shouting and critized in the locker or in czech :lol: but not in the way he did it

selesfan
10-21-2006, 04:04 PM
:) They should move the Masters to Birmingham :yeah:

I agree! The English crowd is the classiest. :)

Sunset of Age
10-21-2006, 04:05 PM
:)

Yep. Wimbledon is an idea too.:angel:

Kip
10-21-2006, 04:06 PM

Bar none! :cool:

zicofirol
10-21-2006, 04:07 PM
he said to spanish tv

ehmmm, Thomas, the crowd has been rude with you, everyone watched it but everyone also watched what you did ... so .... don't lie!

please... He didnt do anything, Basketball players, football playes, american football players etc. All do it, shooshing the crowd is nothing "bad", besides they treated him "badly" before he did that yesterday so...

Naranoc
10-21-2006, 04:08 PM

:banana: Fantastic suggestion. I could catch the bus there every day :D

*Ljubica*
10-21-2006, 04:08 PM

:) :angel:

Alvarillo
10-21-2006, 04:09 PM
and i want to say that i'm not defending the crowd, they should have been more fair
but also i understand them, and what Thomas did was :rolleyes:

Peoples
10-21-2006, 04:27 PM
:o
as Corretja has said, he could have left the tournament as a hero, but after he did, he leaves it as a villainous
Alex also said that these matches will make Thomas more mature and he will learn to how to deal with a rude crowd, maybe he should have shouting and critized in the locker or in czech :lol: but not in the way he did it

I think all of us have seen that crowd enough (even before his ssshh) to realise that is complete BS.

Alvarillo
10-21-2006, 04:27 PM
If you can understand why the crowd behaved the way they did while also acknowledging that they could have behaved more fairly, can you also understand why some of us understand why Tomas behaved the way he did (considering the crowd situation is his match against Rafa), even if he could have behaved better?

i understand but i also think that he wasn't intelligent, he was silly of doing that, did he win something doing it ????
i think no ....

Bilbo
10-21-2006, 04:29 PM
they should send tomas a taped version of what happened after the match so he could see what he did wrong

he has to blame anyone but himself

buddyholly
10-21-2006, 04:30 PM

Absolute bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The crowd was booing and jeering long before Berdych made any gesture. They were doing it because their little Rafa was getting his ass kicked and didn't know what to do. So how could he possibly have left as a hero.
Maybe Rafa could have left as a hero by asking the crowd to respect good play.

CooCooCachoo
10-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Tomas :rocker:

lordmanji
10-21-2006, 04:32 PM
funny im watching the berdych roddick match and the crowd is clapping for berdych's winners

Alvarillo
10-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Absolute bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The crowd was booing and jeering long before Berdych made any gesture. They were doing it because their little Rafa was getting his ass kicked and didn't know what to do. So how could he possibly have left as a hero.

because people was supporting Rafa but everyone there was :eek: about thomas's game
without the fingergate he shouyld have recieved a big big ovation, for sure

Alvarillo
10-21-2006, 04:34 PM
[ sorry for my english ]
It's weird that Nadal said a thing like this about the Berdych's gesture. I mean his idol (Raul from Real Madrid) did the same gesture to the Camp Nou in 1999.

http://cybersimpsons.phpnet.org/aurelie/avatar/imagesraulavatar18.jpg

It's a famous picture for the madridistas (real madrid's fans and I am real madrid's fan... so is Nadal) because Barca is the rival of madrid and I don't think Nadal think the gesture from Raul was stupid.
Many barca's fans booed Raul at this time, he was in an hostile field so he did that.

Also Nadal lied when he said that he never complained about crowd who cheered double faults and all. I remember in 2005 against Grosjean at the french open, he complained about the audience.

and now you can understand what this gesture means in Spain .....
maybe Thomas didn't know, maybe ...
Nadal was 13 y.o in that match, so ... :rolleyes:

buddyholly
10-21-2006, 04:37 PM
because people was supporting Rafa but everyone there was :eek: about thomas's game
without the fingergate he shouyld have recieved a big big ovation, for sure

Not so. They were giving ovations to his double faults. On his brilliant down the line shot that gave him match point they went silent instead of applauding. They had already decided they hated the guy that brought home the bacon.

Alvarillo
10-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Not so. They were giving ovations to his double faults. On his brilliant down the line shot that gave him match point they went silent instead of applauding. They had already decided they hated the guy that brought home the bacon.

i'm not going to argue with a wall sorry
good evening ;)

During the Match - After t5he Match, please, buy some Barrio Sesamo (i don't know the name of the serie in english) videos

Monteque
10-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Poor Berdych, he surely couldn't enough power to face 5000 ppl.
So be little nice next time :)

buddyholly
10-21-2006, 04:41 PM
i'm not going to argue with a wall sorry
good evening ;)

That is because you know you are wrong. The idea that Berdych could have beat Rafa and got an ovation is way off, since they were already booing him for winning points.

Fed-Express
10-21-2006, 04:41 PM
he said to spanish tv

Total crap. A 21 year old boy playing a match in against a crowd of 10.000 over the top Nadal fans that cheer on almost every of his UEs, DFs?
They were getting even worse in the tiebreak.
If you really expect a 21 year old to behave like a tibetian monk than you have no sense of reality. Of course he SHOULD have walked calmly off the court, but attacking him for such a minor gesture is jist :rolleyes:

I mean, look at the Madrid crowd. People with an average age of at least 30 years. How immature and pathetic of REAL adults (opposed to Berdych!!)
to behave during a tennis match like they did.

So stop attacking Berdych, all these pseudo arguments against Berdych are just total BS.

nobama
10-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Nadal could've left a hero by defending his title. ;)

buddyholly
10-21-2006, 04:45 PM
He did defend it. Just not with success.

buddyholly
10-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Total crap. A 21 year old boy playing a match in against a crowd of 10.000 over the top Nadal fans that cheer on almost every of his UEs, DFs?
If you really expect a 21 year old to behave like a tibetian monk than you have no sense of reality. Of course he SHOULD have walked calmly off the court, but attacking him for such a minor gesture is jist :rolleyes:

I mean, look at the Madrid crowd. People with an average age of at least 30 years. How immature and pathetic of REAL adults (opposed to Berdych!!)

So stop attacking Berdych, all these pseudo arguments against Berdych are just total BS.

Hello, wall.

Alvarillo
10-21-2006, 04:47 PM
That is because you know you are wrong. The idea that Berdych could have beat Rafa and got an ovation is way off, since they were already booing him for winning points.

:lol: :lol:
ok mr wall
lo que tu digas, i also love you ;)
if you think that a different opinion it's to be wrong ... --> Wall ;)

buddyholly
10-21-2006, 04:48 PM
:lol: :lol:
ok mr wall
lo que tu digas, i also love you ;)
if you think that a different opinion it's to be wrong ... --> Wall ;)

Te quiero.

Fed=ATPTourkilla
10-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Could have left a hero...what total BS. No way was that ever going to happen in front of such an unsporting crowd.

Allstar
10-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Berdych did nothing wrong yesterday. The crowd were cheering his faults and error. The 'shh' sign was just getting even.

Alvarillo
10-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Could have left a hero...what total BS. No way was that ever going to happen in front of such an unsporting crowd.

you can watch Feliciano vs Agassi in 2002
during the match and after the match ... and you will understand what Alex was saying

Fed-Express
10-21-2006, 05:02 PM
you can watch Feliciano vs Agassi in 2002
during the match and after the match ... and you will understand what Alex was saying

Well, that example is rididulous and proves nothing. Agassi was 31 years old on the tour for 16 years. Berdych is 21 and 4 years on the tour. Just think how many really big matches he played.
This comparison is simply invalid.

Deea
10-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Berdych is starting controverses on MTF :lol: :lol:
I don't think Tomas did a bad thing :shrug:...I mean he shouldn't be condemned like this...it must have been really hard for him to keep his nerves during the whole match with such a hostile crowd...It wasn't very nice, but...that's the way he felt!!! You are exaggerating, by calling him all those words...and what Nadal said...he dissapointed me! :o

aure
10-21-2006, 05:09 PM
[sorry for english]
I erased my message (I put it in another thread) but since you answered me here, I answer you here too :
and now you can understand what this gesture means in Spain .....
maybe Thomas didn't know, maybe ...
Nadal was 13 y.o in that match, so ... :rolleyes:
yeah for Raul, at the time, it's meant "hey crowd ! you were hostile with me, I shut you up with this goal".

Hey I don't like berdych. The guy is immature (see his behaviour against santoro at winbledon). But I'm sure the first thing who came up to his mind was almost the same thing that came to Raul's mind : "hey crowd ! you were hostile with me, I shut you up with this win".

Nadal was 13 y.o, ok but it's a well know gesture for all the madrid's fans (ferrero is a madrid's fan ;) ). And he is a madrid's fan. The picture is in the madrid's history. As much that now for many madrid's fans, the picture of Raul mean "shut up, barca".

Anyway it's weird to me that Nadal said that about Berdych since I don't think that Nadal think that Raul was stupid to do it in the Camp nou (hostile field like Madrid was for berdych).

note : Raul didn't put his hands on his ears (like to say gimme some more hate) and didn't urges the crowd with his hands to boo him some more like berdych did.

Nicky2002
10-21-2006, 05:40 PM

you're so right!

charlie666
10-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Oh my God, I can't believe there's even a discussion on this. Nadal is the last person to complain about Berdych 'sushing' the crowd. Watch this picture, it's taken at Roland Garros 2005...

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1015/nadalvi2.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Berdych, what a scumbag you are! :rolleyes:

LilyRoseAva
10-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Press Conference Tomas Berdych
Madrid, 21th october

Q. Even though you may have been right yesterday about the crowd, don't you think you made a mistake to provoke them yesterday knowing that you would play today and maybe tomorrow in front of them?
TOMAS BERDYCH: Never. I never provoked any of the one single guy which was sitting with the people. So I don't have nothing to say because in my mind I never made a mistake with the crowd. I don't know if it's a mistake that I beat Rafael Nadal in Spain. Maybe that is the mistake. They are really smart what they are doing.

Q. You think the behavior today was just because you beat Rafael yesterday?
TOMAS BERDYCH: So tell me why ‑‑ what is any other difference.

Q. I am not Spanish. What I feel is that ‑‑
TOMAS BERDYCH: What are you not?

Q. I am not from Spain. I'm from France. What I feel is that by the gesture that you made yesterday, you made the crowd turn against you.
TOMAS BERDYCH: But tell me what I did on the court yesterday. I just beat Rafael Nadal. That's all.

Q. Do you found Fernando's style difficult to play against? He returns serve very well and his ground strokes are powerful.
TOMAS BERDYCH: Fernando is a great player. I've played already three times with him. The two matches before was going the same way. He is playing great. His style I really don't like. He has great serving, returning. He's playing a lot of slice from the back hand. He has big hitting from the forehand side. It's kind of his game, and I really don't like it, but that's the way I need to improve.

Q. Were you surprised by the way the public treated you, or was it something that you expected before the match after beating Nadal last night?
TOMAS BERDYCH: I don't know what you want to hear. I've never seen something like this. It's like a dream. It's never happened to me. I think it's not a tennis crowd. It's not for tennis. If you play Davis Cup, okay. I don't say any word about them. But on a normal tournament when you beat the guy that is from where the country you're playing, that's really nice from them.

jacobhiggins
10-21-2006, 05:52 PM
The crowd and Nadal got what was coming to them. The crowd was very obnoxious and he shoved it right back in there face.

It was very pleasing to watch!

Nicky2002
10-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Tomas :worship:

gogogirl
10-21-2006, 06:01 PM
All,

I suppose Berdy is trying to say - who did do something wrong. The crowd? Nadal? May haps? No one is saying that the crowd should have clapped for excellent play by Berdy - although - the Wimby crowd surely would have. What some of us are saying is that - ok don't clap for Nadal's opponent - but don't act ignorant either. I suppose these days it is too much to ask Tennis crowds to be quiet when players are serving or when they double fault.

The tennis etiquette shown at one time is no more. That fact deserves a thread all by itself. Tennis crowds just like golf crowds at one time were quiet during play - were they not?

Some here are crucifying Berdych - but find nothing wrong w/the crowd or Nadal's behavior. If anything and IMO - there was plenty of uncouth behavior to go round. It is what it is. Berdy acted out, Nadal acted out and the crowd acted out - and again Berdy didn't act out until the match was over. What is up w/Nadal celebrating Berdy's missing an overhead smash for an example? Who does that?

Should we now conclude that all players should celebrate when their opponent messes up? If so - then let's declare that - and have tennis matches morph into what goes on during soccer matches - and have the fans act the way they do. Is that where we're heading? If so - then by all means - all of the players and the crowds should be able to act out from the first point of any given match.

And what was it again that prompted Marat to moon the crowd a few years ago? LOL!

Clara Bow
10-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Oh my God, I can't believe there's even a discussion on this. Nadal is the last person to complain about Berdych 'sushing' the crowd. Watch this picture, it's taken at Roland Garros 2005...

Sigh- as others have pointed out in another thread- the context was quite different. Nadal did that in the middle of the match when the crowd was disrupting the play for 10 minutes, not allowing him to serve. He did that to ask them to let him to serve - and not to antagonize the crowd. Berdych did his gesture after the match, which the crowd seemed to take as a big f.u. Two quite different circumstances.

Tomas handled himself well during the match handling a crowd that was misbehaving and made a bad error in judgement after the match. A little dumb, a little stupid, and easy to be seen a being purposfully antagnoistic to the crowd - albeit one could understand his frustration. But it not something that he should be crucified for at the extent that he was by the crowd today. And Nadal should have not said anything. I am a big fan of his, but I don't like to be fan with blinders and frankly- I think Nadal made an error and shouldn't have been yakking his jaw after the match.

cecilija
10-21-2006, 06:16 PM
he is my new idol :) :worship:

MariaV
10-21-2006, 06:36 PM

:haha:

TULY
10-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Nadal acted bad...Tomas acted bad too
Madrid crowd reacted normally

CooCooCachoo
10-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Nadal acted bad...Tomas acted bad too
Madrid crowd reacted normally

:tape:

Normality is subjective. You just underlined that once more.

angela
10-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Tomas. :worship: :worship:

s.m.
10-21-2006, 09:02 PM
i tend to believe that spanish crowd would embrace and give ovation to berdych after nadal match
just because he won against HIM and in that environment
he earned thier resepct, but he lost it
and because of that he lost today
he was immature, he couldnt contol his emotions and he payed today in more ways then one
the crowd was obviously against him, but he crumbled under pressure
i thought he was going to cry at one moment
but he will learn
i hope for his own good
you can beat them in some other way

buddyholly
10-21-2006, 09:13 PM
as Corretja has said, he could have left the tournament as a hero,

I just came back to say that actually, apart from a few hundred bad-sport Madrilenos, Berdych did leave the tournament as a hero in the tennis world. Corretja clearly was thinking the Madrid crowd represented the centre of the universe, when he said what he did.

Castafiore
10-21-2006, 09:21 PM

A 21-year old boy? You make him sound like a baby. Many 21-year olds have adult lives, are married, have kids, jobs, responsibilities, are in the army, die for their country,....
This is his job. It's perhaps a nasty piece of the job but he's a top player right now and he needs to find a way to deal with tough crowds without antagonizing them. Hopefully, Tomas will learn from this (as well as Nadal for speaking out like this)

Buddyholly,
I find your way of thinking rather odd.
You keep going on about the booing that started long before the shush sign. You are mingling up various events within one match because it suits you.
You ignore the fact that the crowd was actually applauding the second the match was over because that bit of the story doesn't seem to suit you.

v__m
10-21-2006, 09:23 PM
The Madrid crowd is disgraceful!!!!!!I hope they remove the masters from Madrid, punish them!!!U idiots have no class!!!

u take my works from my mouth......

100% agree with u !

selesfan
10-21-2006, 09:29 PM
Berdych is starting controverses on MTF :lol: :lol:
I don't think Tomas did a bad thing :shrug:...I mean he shouldn't be condemned like this...it must have been really hard for him to keep his nerves during the whole match with such a hostile crowd...It wasn't very nice, but...that's the way he felt!!! You are exaggerating, by calling him all those words...and what Nadal said...he dissapointed me! :o

I agree. What he did wasn't bad at all. I think he showed composure even attemting to speak to the idiots after he lost today. Usually the losers refuse an on court interview. I am disappointed in Nadal who told Tomas he was very bad and then procedded to call him stupid and said the crowd was wonderful. I am sure is he was playing in the Czech Republic and the fans were against him, he wouldn't be saying the same thing.

Rgask
10-21-2006, 09:29 PM
What-ever Berdych did..i luved it..Go berdych...I m tryin to be his fan too...:worship:

Rgask
10-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Andd yeaa the masters shud move to BIRMINGHAM>.....

Corswandt
10-21-2006, 10:22 PM

Who are you kidding?

Berdych would always be hated by the crowd after beating their hero Rafa and making him officially his bitch, even if he hadn't made the "shush".

Corswandt
10-21-2006, 10:36 PM
The tennis etiquette shown at one time is no more. That fact deserves a thread all by itself. Tennis crowds just like golf crowds at one time were quiet during play - were they not?

[...]

Should we now conclude that all players should celebrate when their opponent messes up? If so - then let's declare that - and have tennis matches morph into what goes on during soccer matches - and have the fans act the way they do. Is that where we're heading? If so - then by all means - all of the players and the crowds should be able to act out from the first point of any given match.

That's the main issue here: that many people seem OK with tennis spectators acting like rowdy football crowds. When of course whistling, booing and assorted crowd noise are 10.000 times more distracting, disrupting and downright harmful for a tennis player than for a footballer, because tennis is an individual sport that depends on split-second timing during each point.

But it works both ways: Berdych's "shush" is imported from football as well.

Hewitt and Nadal have now made it perfectly acceptable to openly cheer for one's opponents' errors. Just yesterday in Zürich Bacsinszky loudly shrieked "c'mon" after Sharapova hit a DF. Sharapova who of course constantly "c'mons" and fist pumps after a UE from her opponent.

So what are we heading into indeed? To a big bunch of jerks watching some other jerks playing?

Castafiore
10-21-2006, 10:46 PM
Hewitt and Nadal have now made it perfectly acceptable to openly cheer for one's opponents' errors.
:lol: Great, Hewitt and Nadal are the bad guys again. Good to see that Hewitt still hasn't lost his touch in getting pointed at for his "bad" behaviour.

I'm guessing that you haven't been watching tennis that long because it's not exactly a new thing.

Let me guess, you watched tennis in the 20s or so and only started watching tennis again in the new millenium?
Tennis etiquette? My gosh, that sounds so stuffy. Go watch Connors, McEnroe and quite a few other older players. Tennis etiquette as you seem to understand it has been gone since a long time.

Shrinking Violet
10-21-2006, 10:47 PM
I like Berdych a lot, but I think he should have been smarter. Fine, the crowd was out of order in the quarters but he knows he has to go out the following day to play his semi in front of the crowd, so he should have shut-up, played his semi in peace and then let rip on his way to the airport after he was out the way and the crowd had a year to forget what he'd said.

spencercarlos
10-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Whatever!

I applaud Tomas!

They were acting like jerks because
he dared to beat their boy and tried to
hush them because they were being so
obnoxious!

Pardon me, but if it had been
me I'd have had some choice words
for that crowd and their whinning!
Me too, plus i did not find Thomas gesture big or long enough in order for Nadal to say those things in the handshake, it was a simple shut signal, that just took about 5 seconds, that was nothing comapred with even some celebrations pump fist, jumping and dancing around like Nadal does somethimes.
And about the Madrid crowd one thing is to support your favorite local player very politely (take the example this week Zurich with Hingis) and another is go beyond the line and applaud even the missed first serves like Madrid crowd did :rolleyes: .

Fed=ATPTourkilla
10-21-2006, 10:53 PM
I thought it was a shame that Berdych lost. Furthermore, I'll say once again that I can't agree with those who believe Berdych did anything wrong. He made a tiny hand gesture, which the crowd richly deserved. I really don't like these partisan crowds, in any country. The Brits are the most sporting - even when Henman's playing, they clap the other guy's winners. But as for the French when Grosjean is on, or the pathetic J-Block, words fail me.

I don't think this is OK just because it happens in football. First, in football matches you play both home and away, so it evens out. That's not the case with tennis - I can't think of a Czech tournament of note. Berdych will have to face idiots in America, France and Spain without ever getting a corresponding advantage.

Second, tennis has always been a much more gentlemanly sport than football. Maybe I sound like a snob but I'd rather it stayed that way.

Marat y David
10-21-2006, 10:55 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
And this is coming from an American????????:rolleyes:You wish you have the class of an spaniard.they are polite and very very nice people........if you haven't met them then shut up.
:confused: WTH????

The Madrid crowd is not disgraceful....its great.
Of course they were cheering for Nadal OF COURSE 'cos he is the home guy.

What Tomas did was the disgraceful thing he was rude to the crowd and today he got ewhat he deserves

Rogiman
10-21-2006, 11:11 PM
No tennis should be played in Madrid anymore.

Barcelona, however, is fine :)

Fee
10-21-2006, 11:17 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
And this is coming from an American????????:rolleyes:You wish you have the class of an spaniard.they are polite and very very nice people........if you haven't met them then shut up.
:confused: WTH????

The Madrid crowd is not disgraceful....its great.
Of course they were cheering for Nadal OF COURSE 'cos he is the home guy.

What Tomas did was the disgraceful thing he was rude to the crowd and today he got ewhat he deserves

So, you've met everyone in Spain and everyone in America? Gosh, you must be tired. (You should make your signature larger, it's really too small... )

Berdych did nothing wrong, in my opinion. It was a small gesture, he could have done much worse, other players have.

Jogg
10-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Everyone was in the wrong Berdych, Rafa and the crowd. No one has come out of this looking good :o

But lets face it no one died, the whole thing has blown completely out of proportion

Gulliver
10-21-2006, 11:48 PM
One could argue for ever about what happened yesterday, but what I found totally unforgiveable was the treatment handed out to Berdych today. This was a vendetta pure and simple and proved that the majority of the Madrid crowd were not there as supporters of tennis but as spiteful people intent on vilifying an individual. They did not give him a chance and their behaviour was disgraceful. I thought Molina's attempt to persuade them to be fair to both players was well done, but it fell on deaf ears. Does anyone really think that Berdych deserved this?

I actually think that the tournament should be fined for its crowd behaviour today. Football clubs are, when their supporters are guilty of extreme behaviour, and a crowd of 10,000 taking pleasure in intimidating one man, is just as bad.

Rogiman
10-21-2006, 11:53 PM
I actually think that the tournament should be fined for its crowd behaviour today. Football clubs are, when their supporters are guilty of extreme behaviour, and a crowd of 10,000 taking pleasure in intimidating one man, is just as bad.Man you're my hero

Scotso
10-22-2006, 12:33 AM

yeah, right :lol:

God forbid he put his finger to his lips :scared: :rolleyes:

Tomas :rocker2:

star
10-22-2006, 12:42 AM

I kind of adore the Aussie crowds. :)

jamesuk
10-22-2006, 12:43 AM
I am British but live in Madrid, and I went to the Masters tournament twice this week, once on Monday and the other tie on Thursday.

I have been following the rest at home on tv.

Having watched tennis in USA, Australia, and the UK as well as Spain, I can safely say that Spanish commentary is by far the worst. It is extremely partial and biased, which is fair enough to a point, but I would go so far as to call it totally blinkered.

Listening to ex player Corretja responding to the Nadal-Berdych situation was for me as a true tennis fan, totallly disheartening. Both Friday and Saturday, he expressed total disdain for Tomas´actions, not once ever recognising the crowds behaviour BEFORE the finger-to-the-lip gesture. All the media here in Spain have focused soley on that gesture conveniently forgetting everything that caused it.

That Alex Corretja, a player who has more or less seen it all in tennis, should jump on the bandwagon and ignore the crowds behaviour to defend Nadal, is sickening to me. I watched , open mouthed both on Friday and Saturday, at how both commentators seem to be totally blinded with anger at disappointmet at Nadal´s loss. These are meant to be professionals? Where is the detachment?

The crowd´s reaction, however , was not a surprise to me. My first taste of how nasty the Madrid crowd can be was way back in 1998, Fed Cup, Spain vs USA. It was the deciding doubles rubber. The match was well into the deciding set. There were a mere handful of USA supporters in the crowd who were behaving just fine. Yet everytime team USA won a point and were applauded for it by the handful of supporters, the WHOLE stadium turned against them, booing and whistling.....this was after EVERY point. For me it ruined the whole event, which had been brilliant up to then.

But do not think the Spanish reserve this crap for foreigners. Remember how during Arantxa Sanchez´s last Fed Cup match (which she lost) how she was made fun of and insulted by members of the home crowd, simply because she wasnt winning?

Indeed, last Monday, here at the masters, when Fernando was down 5-2 , serving to stay in the match at 15-30, some silly cow a few rows behind me shouted out

"Anda, ¿¿para esto hemos venido??"

which roughly translates to

"So this is what we have come here for?"

Even though I was supporting Henman, I was shocked at this,so I turned around and saw the woman who had shouted it laughing and giggling with the various twats around her, and I shouted

"Vaya zorra, ¿asi le apoyas?? eres patetica."

Which roughly translates to

"Supid bitch, thats how you support him? Youre pathetic"

At which point more or less all of the crowd behind me started to tell me to shut up, fuck off, whistle at me etc. All for defending one of THEIR own!

I am going to the YEC for the WTA in November here, in spite of the bad taste in my mouth. Thankfully there are no Spanish players qualified. The spanish crowd is pretty good when there is no Spaniard, so lets hope they do themselves proud for the girls

Rogiman
10-22-2006, 12:48 AM
Too bad a good Catalan like Corretja becomes part of the nationalistic circus that is TMS Madrid.

Via
10-22-2006, 12:49 AM
Let me guess, you watched tennis in the 20s or so and only started watching tennis again in the new millenium?
Tennis etiquette? My gosh, that sounds so stuffy. Go watch Connors, McEnroe and quite a few other older players. Tennis etiquette as you seem to understand it has been gone since a long time.

i think she meant tennis etiquette of *crowds*, not tennis players.

some tennis players 20, 30 years ago were indeed lacking of any etiquette whatsover. the boys now are tame by comparison :tape:

personally i don't really notice much change in crowd behaviour. it's just that tennis is now more of a global game, instead of being played mostly in countries with a long tennis tradition. there are differences in culture and what's acceptable and what's not. everyone has his/her opinion depending on where you come from.

therefore i prefer to preach patience and tolerance :angel: :lol:

Sjengster
10-22-2006, 01:05 AM
Weellll..... if you are going to call someone a stupid bitch, no matter how much they resemble one, you do have to expect brickbats in return. Could she tell that you were a Briton speaking Spanish, do you think, or was your command of the language sufficient to fool her?

Sunset of Age
10-22-2006, 01:19 AM
Well, jamesuk, you don't know how much it saddens me to read this... chauvinism in its worst form. The worst part is that the audience doesn't seem to realize is that the only result of their behaviour is that they're actually intensifying the pressure on the shoulders of their own players.
I mean... the Spaniards didn't actually do all that well at Madrid didn't they?

No pun or whatsoever intended - just what I saw...

mierdauc3m
10-22-2006, 01:21 AM
This is probably my first and last post here. I've been reading this forum for quite a while (and continue to do it) and I didn't register up until today.
I went to the Masters on friday saturday, and tomorrow I will be there watching the final. I want to give my point of view about what happened.
First thing I have to say is that stupid people are everywhere, I mean in Madrid, Paris, London, Rome, NYC, etc etc, u can´t judge a whole city or crowd because just a few of them.
On Friday during the Nadal-Berdych match the crowd obiously was cheering for Rafa, but nothing rude or disgraceful. My friend and the people I met on the stands were amazed by Berdych's play, the guys around even said that if the player in front was Federer, Berdych was going to win that match the way he was playing. What I'm trying to say is that despite people booed him, they admitted he is a great tennis player AND PLAYED A MARVELOUS MATCH. MOST of the people even did't get angry when Berdych ran across the court celebrating one point, the problem is what he did AFTER he won. NOT ONLY the shouting gesture (which seems that is the only thing that u saw), he indeed started to provoke the corwd with some rude gestures when he was sitting on the chair, looking arrogant to the crowd. He also did the same thing when he was leaving the court while he was being booed.
It's a pity for him that he thinks today (Saturday) we booed him 'cause he kick nadal out of the tournament, me and everybody around my seat that I talked, booed him for the same thing, and that is what he did yesterday at the end of the match.
i personally think that if it wasn't for the gestures he made yesterday, today he would have won Feña (who with his experience manage to control the match for example playing long on the first games of the match waiting for a very nervous Berdych to make non forced errors), but today the corwd was rude to him, put a lot of preassure on him and he was more concern about this than to play a tennis game.
If u guys keep thinking that what happened today was 'cause he kicked Nadal out, u are very wrong.

Sorry for my English, bye bye.

Rogiman
10-22-2006, 01:28 AM
Your English seems flawless to me, what does bother me is how every spaniard in his turn still insists there was "nothing rude or disgraceful" when every tennis fan watching the match on TV could hear the crowd cheer loudly to Berdych's double-faults and people scream when the ball is in play.

Allure
10-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Your English seems flawless to me, what does bother me is how every spaniard in his turn still insists there was "nothing rude or disgraceful" when every tennis fan watching the match on TV could hear the crowd cheer loudly to Berdych's double-faults and people scream when the ball is in play.

Perhaps to the ''Spaniards,'' cheering ''loudly'' and ''screaming'' isn't rude. It's all a matter of perspective I suppose.

alfonsojose
10-22-2006, 01:39 AM

If it was another thread about your JesusFed, you would'nt complain :rolleyes:

IMO, The crowd was awful, Nadal even worse but the gesture from Berdych was unnecessary

mierdauc3m
10-22-2006, 01:42 AM

The first thing I said was, that stupid people are everywhere, on a place where there's 10,000 people there will be stupid people, and if u give them the slightest chance to riun the match they are going to do it. U can tell me this and I can say that when Tomas did very nice shots (he made very few today) u heard applauses on TV.
Today I booed him BEFORE the match, I cheered during the match when he missed, but not during his serve or during the point. There were people who did this some times (not always) but like I said, they were only a few idiots, that we can see everywhere.

If u don't understand it or u don't want to (I say this 'cause some other post u worte talking some nacionalist shit or the avatar u've got which I think is really BS) that is not my problem.

Best regards from what u call a "fascist" .

alfonsojose
10-22-2006, 01:55 AM
why the shituc3m username? :rolleyes:

mangoes
10-22-2006, 01:57 AM
The first thing I said was, that stupid people are everywhere, on a place where there's 10,000 people there will be stupid people, and if u give them the slightest chance to riun the match they are going to do it. U can tell me this and I can say that when Tomas did very nice shots (he made very few today) u heard applauses on TV.
Today I booed him BEFORE the match, I cheered during the match when he missed, but not during his serve or during the point. There were people who did this some times (not always) but like I said, they were only a few idiots, that we can see everywhere.

If u don't understand it or u don't want to (I say this 'cause some other post u worte talking some nacionalist shit or the avatar u've got which I think is really BS) that is not my problem.

Best regards from what u call a "fascist" .

:secret:I'm just curious, what was your old user name??:D

spencercarlos
10-22-2006, 03:59 AM
I am British but live in Madrid, and I went to the Masters tournament twice this week, once on Monday and the other tie on Thursday.

I have been following the rest at home on tv.

Having watched tennis in USA, Australia, and the UK as well as Spain, I can safely say that Spanish commentary is by far the worst. It is extremely partial and biased, which is fair enough to a point, but I would go so far as to call it totally blinkered.

Listening to ex player Corretja responding to the Nadal-Berdych situation was for me as a true tennis fan, totallly disheartening. Both Friday and Saturday, he expressed total disdain for Tomas´actions, not once ever recognising the crowds behaviour BEFORE the finger-to-the-lip gesture. All the media here in Spain have focused soley on that gesture conveniently forgetting everything that caused it.

That Alex Corretja, a player who has more or less seen it all in tennis, should jump on the bandwagon and ignore the crowds behaviour to defend Nadal, is sickening to me. I watched , open mouthed both on Friday and Saturday, at how both commentators seem to be totally blinded with anger at disappointmet at Nadal´s loss. These are meant to be professionals? Where is the detachment?

The crowd´s reaction, however , was not a surprise to me. My first taste of how nasty the Madrid crowd can be was way back in 1998, Fed Cup, Spain vs USA. It was the deciding doubles rubber. The match was well into the deciding set. There were a mere handful of USA supporters in the crowd who were behaving just fine. Yet everytime team USA won a point and were applauded for it by the handful of supporters, the WHOLE stadium turned against them, booing and whistling.....this was after EVERY point. For me it ruined the whole event, which had been brilliant up to then.

But do not think the Spanish reserve this crap for foreigners. Remember how during Arantxa Sanchez´s last Fed Cup match (which she lost) how she was made fun of and insulted by members of the home crowd, simply because she wasnt winning?

Indeed, last Monday, here at the masters, when Fernando was down 5-2 , serving to stay in the match at 15-30, some silly cow a few rows behind me shouted out

"Anda, ¿¿para esto hemos venido??"

which roughly translates to

"So this is what we have come here for?"

Even though I was supporting Henman, I was shocked at this,so I turned around and saw the woman who had shouted it laughing and giggling with the various twats around her, and I shouted

At which point more or less all of the crowd behind me started to tell me to shut up, fuck off, whistle at me etc. All for defending one of THEIR own!

I am going to the YEC for the WTA in November here, in spite of the bad taste in my mouth. Thankfully there are no Spanish players qualified. The spanish crowd is pretty good when there is no Spaniard, so lets hope they do themselves proud for the girls
Agreed completly.
Be sure that tomorrow they´ll all be ass licking Federer.

jayjay
10-22-2006, 04:12 AM

I hope you whistled back?:)

Action Jackson
10-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Hehehe.

jamesuk
10-22-2006, 12:45 PM

I hope you whistled back?:)

I am crap at whistling! So I didnt..!

To the poster who thinks that the crowd were not bitter simply because Berdych had beaten Nadal, that it exacxtly the blinkered attitude that has come up everywhere here in Madrid these past few days, the tv, newspapers, my own Spanish friends even, (the majority).

It is PRECISELY because he beaten Nadal and was unafraid to stand up to the crowd which peed them off so much. I dont want to go into the area of the Spanish pysche too much here as it isnt the place, but after living here for 8 years I find that in many cases, rather than analyse the cause of a problem, they just complain about the results of it. There is also some kind of sheep mentality, fear of going against the grain almost. On tv programmes it is common to see the audience cheer wildly at one point of view expressed, the suddenly cheer wildly for the other....all because the person speaking says something like "...isnt that right, public?" "..YYEEEESSSSSS!!!"

I am dreading going to work on Monday because I know this will be spoken about, and i know how depressingly predictable most peoples response will be to it.

It reminds me of the time a few years back in Indian Wells, when Venus withdrew from her semi vs Serena. The day of the final was just shocking, if anyone here saw it Im sure they will never forget it. It made me root for Serena, who I had never liked much before., just as Fridays match made me root for Berdych, who I had never even SEEN before!!

FluffyYellowBall
10-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Perhaps to the ''Spaniards,'' cheering ''loudly'' and ''screaming'' isn't rude. It's all a matter of perspective I suppose.
The home crowd is always arrogent and loud but why are people making a big deal out of the spanish crowd? The french and and USO crowds are as bad and if not, even worse! The J-Block was chaotic and it was a little too much but i guess its expected. And they OF COURSE they will boo more when berdych makes such a gesture. I find nothing wrong with it but the spaniards will get offended for sure. He should have known

connectolove
10-22-2006, 01:01 PM
I don't think that he did anything wrong, he was just being himself, a little cocky b*stard, but that's all. Besides, I am sick and tired of seeing Rafa loose lately. I know, I know, I am supposed to be loyal and all, and I am but I'd like to see him winning for a change.

Venga amigo, get your mojo back into place!

FluffyYellowBall
10-22-2006, 01:17 PM
I don't think that he did anything wrong, he was just being himself, a little cocky b*stard, but that's all. Besides, I am sick and tired of seeing Rafa loose lately. I know, I know, I am supposed to be loyal and all, and I am but I'd like to see him winning for a change.

Trust me im even more sick of it. All pros lose but I was complaining last year on how boring it is to see nadal and federer dominate. Look what kind of a final im gonna watch now!!

njorker
10-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Trust me im even more sick of it. All pros lose but I was complaining last year on how boring it is to see nadal and federer dominate. Look what kind of a final im gonna watch now!!

For me, it's just boring to see Federer go into the final of each tournament. I'm sick of it....I'm sure a lot of players are too. Even if they say he's the best there is and how he can walk on water and how he can turn everything he touches into gold and how he can fly like Superman, I bet they are all sick of him!

propi
10-22-2006, 02:03 PM
People were awful, but Thomas should have handled the situation in a better way, if he had left the court without doing anything he wouldn't be in that situation...
Hope next time he calms down and thinks about what to do, also I hope audience realize they're not in a football match :rolleyes:

LilyRoseAva
10-22-2006, 02:24 PM
listen tomas about the crowd

http://wm.world.mii-streaming.net/media/atp/tournaments/madrid/berdych6.mp3

Nitefaery
10-22-2006, 02:42 PM

Seriously, Berdych isn't exactly mr nice guy. Good tennis player, but he is a little bastard. I just hope this doesn't effect his performance in the future. Seems to be a pretty big deal all around.

Black Adam
10-22-2006, 02:52 PM

Says Miss Numerous Federer Threads

Seriously this coming from you isn't credible considering the number of Federer Threads you have created in GM that should be in Fed's forum.

Vanheldan
10-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Slash the Madrid Masters and replace it with the London Masters - You can hold it in the Millenium Dome.

angela
10-22-2006, 04:31 PM
listen tomas about the crowd

http://wm.world.mii-streaming.net/media/atp/tournaments/madrid/berdych6.mp3

Thanks. ;)

PamV
10-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Seriously, Berdych isn't exactly mr nice guy. Good tennis player, but he is a little bastard. I just hope this doesn't effect his performance in the future. Seems to be a pretty big deal all around.

I guess it depends on who you ask.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/PJ2004/Tennis/NadalSush.gif

"The crowd yesterday didn't really behave as you should when you're watching a match of tennis," Nadal said. "I've never seen anything like that in Spain, but this is France."

Castafiore
10-23-2006, 08:13 PM
PamV, the context of the photo you're using has been explained several times in the last days.

Either you're not able to understand it or you're not willing to understand the full context. Which one is it?

PamV
10-23-2006, 08:20 PM
PamV, the context of the photo you're using has been explained several times in the last days.

Either you're not able to understand it or you're not willing to understand the full context. Which one is it?

I didn't read those posts. Are you saying it's alright to sush the French crowd, but not alright to sush the Spanish crowd?

tangerine_dream
10-23-2006, 08:21 PM
PamV is obsessed with that pic of Rafa. Maybe she should use it as her avatar. :lol:

PamV
10-23-2006, 08:22 PM
For me, it's just boring to see Federer go into the final of each tournament. I'm sick of it....I'm sure a lot of players are too. Even if they say he's the best there is and how he can walk on water and how he can turn everything he touches into gold and how he can fly like Superman, I bet they are all sick of him!

But years from now you might enjoy telling your grandchildren that you actually saw Federer play in his prime.

Castafiore
10-23-2006, 08:29 PM
I didn't read those posts. Are you saying it's alright to sush the French crowd, but not alright to sush the Spanish crowd?
Oh come on. You did research to come up with that quote you're using so don't give me this BS. I bet that you are very aware of the full context but it's much more amusing for you to pull it out of context, right?

PamV
10-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Oh come on. You did research to come up with that quote you're using so don't give me this BS. I bet that you are very aware of the full context but it's much more amusing for you to pull it out of context, right?

I read the article that the quote comes from, but I didn't find it mentioned on this board. I saw when the shushing thread started but I lost track of it. There were several threads on the same issue and I haven't been able to follow all of those. If you want to give me a link to what you are talking about I'll check it out.

Regarding Nadal....I remember the match in question. My issue is that he took it upon himself to try to discipline the crowd who was acting up. The Spanish crowd was also acting up against Berdych. The sushing is not a big deal. What upset the crowd more was seeing Nadal and Berdych having words at the handshake and after.

PamV
10-23-2006, 08:39 PM
I just think it's too funny that Nadal takes issue with Berdych when there's this picture of him on the net.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/PJ2004/Tennis/NadalSush.gif

Castafiore
10-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Well PamV, just for you then:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=4318141&postcount=366