Davis Cup-Sweden [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davis Cup-Sweden

Kristen
02-24-2004, 03:39 AM
Heres a start...
Just adding 2 pics I've been using in my yahoo group lately... obviously I didnt take them, but I'm gonna add the pics I did take, ASAP.

Kristen

Action Jackson
02-24-2004, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the pic BG, see what I told you about Wilander was right. How many 7 time Slam champions are that humble? No, Edberg doesn't count he is too into himself.

star
02-24-2004, 12:58 PM
Oh those were GREAT pictures!!!!

I love the way they look intensely into each other's eyes.

Sweden must be feeling really good about their tie with the U.S. just now. Mats is going to have some hard decisions about who to play. I would love for this tie to be in Arizona..... but I'm sure it will be Florida, or possibly California.

Kristen
03-02-2004, 04:25 AM
another i found...

star
03-02-2004, 12:44 PM
That's very nice. Jonas is indeed VERY blond. ;)

Mats is one of those nut brown Swedes. My grandmother had the same coloring, so I have a soft spot for him.

They all have such nice soft looks on their faces.

Thank you very much for the photo.

I want the U.S. to offer them wonderful hospitality in the quarters. :)

Kristen
03-02-2004, 01:12 PM
That's very nice. Jonas is indeed VERY blond. ;)
They all have such nice soft looks on their faces.

Isn't he! During Davis Cup week I was complaining that he needed a hair cut. Now I see why. ;) It seems he left the peroxide in Sweden! :eek: heehee another pic courtesy of Getty!

Kristen
03-02-2004, 01:19 PM
They all have such nice soft looks on their faces<<
Just another reason to appreciate them ;)

What's the deal with Robin in these pics though. I mean, when he's in front of you, he's so much better looking. But he looks a bit wrong in these photos. Joachim however, what you see is what you get. My friend and I were almost fainting when Jonas and Joachim took off their shirts to train. Yeah, I'm "Bjorkman Girl" but at the time it was all about Joachim. You wouldnt expect him to be so muscular. Its surprising! Anyway, I'll stop being superficial! I love the second pic of mats... such a sweetheart!

Ma. Estefania
03-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Thanx for those last pics that are :hearts: Je Je.

All of them look great; Joachim looks a bit more tanned than the others, something nice coz it contrasts with his blond hair ;)

Aleksa's Laydee
04-01-2004, 02:50 PM
is anyone going to cheer on the swedes in USA? if you do be sure to take loads of pics! :D :D
i wish i could go bet it will be great :sad:

star
04-01-2004, 06:19 PM
I would love to go and cheer for Sweden! It would be great. But..... can't get to Florida.

crazzzy_grrl
04-02-2004, 06:32 AM
Thanx for those last pics that are :hearts: Je Je.

All of them look great; Joachim looks a bit more tanned than the others, something nice coz it contrasts with his blond hair ;)

Thats probably from spending the aussie summer in adelaide with the hewitts

Ma. Estefania
04-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Yeah....probably....

Kristen
04-03-2004, 12:51 AM
CHAT ROOM: Mats Wilander, Sweden's Davis Cup coach

Mats Wilander opted for experience when he picked his team that will play the United States in the Davis Cup quarterfinals April 9-11 in Delray Beach, Fla. Wilander picked Thomas Enqvist, 30, and Jonas Bjorkman, 32, along with Joachim Johansson (21), Robin Soderling (19) and Thomas Johansson (29). Enqvist and Bjorkman or Soderling are expected to play singles, and Bjorkman is expected to team with Joachim Johansson in doubles.

The younger U.S. team has Andy Roddick, 21, and Mardy Fish, 22, in singles and the top-ranked doubles team in the world, 25-year-old twins Bob and Mike Bryan.

Where do you think the strength of your team is?
I think the strength of the Swedish team is we have five players, and they can all play singles. We have Jonas Bjorkman in doubles, who might be the best doubles player in the world in my eyes. I think he can play with pretty much anyone. He played a great match with Joachim Johansson against Australia. I think that for me, as a captain, for the first time, I think I've got some choices, which actually makes it a little easier to pick the two guys who will play singles instead of being set with two guys like I was the first year, last year.

How much does the confidence play a part in your guys?
You went in as underdogs in Australia and came out, away from home, a
winner. Is that a factor here in terms of just the mentality of the players? I think it's pretty significant. I think the guys realize that they can still -- especially, I think, Thomas Enqvist and all the guys, you know, to play one match like Thomas did against Mark Philippoussis the first day -- they can still do that. They're still good enough to do that.These guys have played enough Davis Cup that I think they feel they're the favorites against anyone.

When you were playing, did you ever think about being a Davis Cup
captain?
Yeah, I think so. It's one of those positions, I think, every Swedish player would like to do at some point in their life. I didn't think I was ready this early, to be honest with you. ... I really miss [the game] when I'm not around it. I can't create that kind of level in my own game anymore, so this is as close as you can get.

You've got the two old veterans on your team, guys over 30 years of
age. Is their experience significant as opposed to "fresh legs" the
Americans have with youth?
My situation is the opposite of [U.S. coach] Patrick [McEnroe's]. As a Davis Cup captain, I can appreciate what Patrick is doing. I think the young guys need the old guys to see how things are done in Davis Cup. You don't have to play 100 percent physical, physical tennis. It's more mental. Davis Cup is about putting the guy in there that's going to play the best when he plays his worst.

Comment on the emergence of Joachim Johansson after the Davis Cup tie
in Adelaide (Australia).
Well, I think that they all started playing really well in Australia before the Davis Cup match. I think Davis Cup is so intense; you're playing great players, and it's just one match. I think, when you get a win, and when you're a part of a team practicing for 10 days, I think your confidence level has to go up, whatever happens in the actual Davis Cup match.

star
04-03-2004, 10:54 AM
:sad:

Pim Pim is hurt!
He won't play Davis Cup. :crying2:

Swedish team loses Johansson

BY CHARLES BRICKER

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. - (KRT) - The Swedish Davis Cup team that plays the U.S. team at Delray Beach, April 9-11, has been dealt a severe setback by a shoulder injury to young, big-serving Joachim Johansson, who has returned home and will not play.

Johansson is one of the four players named earlier this week to the team and was almost certainly going to play doubles with Jonas Bjorkman and was a candidate to play one of the two first-day singles matches with Thomas Enqvist.

Now, captain Mats Wilander has some major decisions to make. He probably will replace Johansson with Thomas Johansson, the 2002 Australian Open champion who is not playing good tennis right now.

Thomas Johansson went out in the first round at Key Biscayne to Nikolay Davydenko and is 7-7 for the season. His doubles prospects are also questionable. He played Davis Cup with Bjorkman in 2002 and lost twice to Wayne Arthurs/Todd Woodbridge of Australia and Greg Rusedski/Tim Henman of Great Britain.

The loss of Joachim Johansson removes Sweden's biggest serving threat and a quality doubles player from this quarterfinal tie. He was 10-3 coming into the Nasdaq-100 Open, having won the title at Memphis, where he defeated Americans James Blake and Mardy Fish en route to his win over Nicolas Kiefer in the final.

Joachim Johansson, 6 feet 6, was blasting serves at around 135 mph for much of this year until his shoulder began to ache. He was not in good form, however, when he arrived at the Nasdaq, losing first round to Juan Monaco 7-6 (6), 6-2, and complained that he was tiring on court.

It was hoped that rest was all he needed, but an MRI showed a shoulder strain that is going to need several weeks to heal.

At 21, Joachim Johansson is a rising star, and Wilander was not afraid to use him in doubles against Australia in the Davis Cup first round. He and Bjorkman defeated Wayne Arthurs and Todd Woodbridge, who is Bjorkman's touring doubles partner, in five sets.

Fish, who is playing singles for the United States along with Andy Roddick, won't miss Johansson, who took him out 6-2, 6-4 in the semifinals at Memphis.

When the substitution is made, the Swedish team will be Bjorkman, Thomas Johansson, Thomas Enqvist and Robin Soderling.

Without Joachim Johansson, Wilander is faced with another critical decision. He would have felt comfortable resting Bjorkman the first day and going with Joachim Johansson and playing Bjorkman in doubles Saturday and the reverse singles Sunday.

He would feel less comfortable using Thomas Johansson in the first-day singles and so must now choose between him or pushing Bjorkman into the Friday singles, which means Bjorkman could be playing best-of-5 matches three days in a row.

star
04-03-2004, 10:55 AM
p.s. I stole this article from the Roddick Forum where Bunk posted it. ;)

Aleksa's Laydee
04-04-2004, 11:50 AM
oh no thats really bad.. poor pim pim :sad:
but they still have Bjorkman, Thomas Johansson, Thomas Enqvist :D

Kristen
04-04-2004, 01:47 PM
When I look at joachim, he doesn't look 6"6... but when I look at Alexander Popp, he really does look 6"7' God I'm a crap judge of height... I want to get changed... I'm wearing blue and yellow clothing and I'm not in the mood now I'm pimpim-less.

enqvistfan
04-04-2004, 02:23 PM
Hi, according the Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagdablet, Thomas Enqvist has a foot injury and he is not sure to play the Davis Cup against the USA. I hope it won't be too serious. It would be a back luck for Sweden.

I go to Monte-Carlo so if one of you is going there also, just let me know, it is always great to meet other Swedish fans.

ValÚrie
webmaster@thomasenqvist.com

star
04-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Thanks for that news, Enqvistfan, even though it is terrible news. :sad:

I hope this is all a plot by Mats to make the U.S. team overconfident, but ........ I don't think it is.

enqvistfan
04-04-2004, 02:41 PM
Star, I also hope that it is a plot by Mats but I don't think Swedish are like that. I really hope it is not serious. If he is not able to play, I think Jonas and Robin can do it !!

Ma. Estefania
04-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Dammit......I had so many hopes in Sweden, and now those hopes are vanishing... :(

star
04-05-2004, 04:05 AM
yup... I wanted and Argentina/Sweden tie. Lots of pretty blue flags. :)

But, now I am a little depressed about all of it.

enqvistfan
04-05-2004, 06:57 AM
I think there is still a hope for the Swedes to win. Thomas hasn't withdrawn yet, so we have still hope. And, Jonas and Robin can win singles. But, in the doubles, I'm not confident at all against the Bryans. Well, on thursday, I think they'll give the name of the players. Let's cross our fingers !!!

ValÚrie

Kristen
04-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Hey Val, its you! (Its kristen / aka kse_5 ) Good to see you around here... that's a worry about thomas' foot :S Hopefully he'll be ok, because he's been playing ok this year (better than last year anyway!), and I don't want to see it come to an end anytime soon! I hate the way american articles are suggesting tojo might play doubles with jonas... I'd much prefer to see enqvist(unless there's a reason why they didn't suggest him. :-/ )

Kom igen Sverige!

enqvistfan
04-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Hej. Yes, Kristen it is me :-)) Yes, he's playing better than last year. Last year was terrible. He is not a double player but was in final in Boca Raton with Carlsen, so if he is not injured seriously, it would be great to see him with Jonas.
Have you seen that there was an interview of Jonas on the DC Website ?
I go to Monte-Carlo in two weeks, I hope to see the Swedes. Thomas is not sure to play because he has a low ranking, maybe, he'll play the qualifyings, don't know yet.

Kristen
04-06-2004, 02:47 AM
Have you seen that there was an interview of Jonas on the DC Website ?
I go to Monte-Carlo in two weeks, I hope to see the Swedes. Thomas is not sure to play because he has a low ranking, maybe, he'll play the qualifyings, don't know yet.

Nope, I hadn't seen the interview, but I'm downloading it now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention ;) Monte Carlo should be fantastic! Hopefully Thomas will qualify; it's good to see him on the rise again... This might be a stupid question, but do you know if he's still got short hair? Because, in February his hair was looking lovely and short again, not like this time last year :eek: LOL!!!

Have a good tournament!
Kristen :wavey:

Aleksa's Laydee
04-06-2004, 08:15 AM
hopefully thomas can play and the injury isnt bad :(
goooo sweden

enqvistfan
04-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Kristen, glad to hear that you're downloading the interview. I thought you already got it. Regarding Monte-Carlo, I hope Thomas will play (main draw, qualifying), last year I missed him because he chose to play in Houston, so I hope this year will be good. If I can't see him, I'll see him at the French Open, but it is too long !!! About the hair cut, I added a picture in my website from the Press Conference yesterday, taken after the practrice (I think), he has a short hair, it is ok. I have to say that I don't mind of his look, really !!! I prefer him when he's wearing his bandana personally.

Kristen
04-07-2004, 04:45 AM
Wilander and McEnroe Itching for Action to Begin
Mats Wilander was up front. He said that every playing spot in the Swedish team in the quarterfinal tie of the Davis Cup by BNP Paribas, was up for grabs. This weekend the Swedes are looking to following up their first round upset win over defending champion nation Australia, when they face the USA in Delray Beach, Florida.

The Swedes were dealt with a body blow when they found that their young player Joachim (a.k.a. Pim Pim) Johansson would not be able to play because of a sore shoulder and back injury. He is likely to be replaced in the official nominations at the Official Draw on Thursday.

"There is so much that can happen and I don't fancy telling anyone early that you are going to play, I think it's better that everyone works towards the same goal and everybody is ready to play on Friday morning," said Wilander.

"There are so many cases like someone getting injured on Thursday night, or Wednesday after hard practice. So, no I haven't really thought about it."

But when it comes to Davis Cup the Swedes stand out from most of the pack. They have been the most successful nation in the last 20 years and Thomas Enqvist, who has played such a pivotal role for his nation over the years, says this competition bring out the best in them.

"We have a deep team which is always a good thing, we are not depending on one or two players which is always good in Davis Cup, so I think our confidence level is pretty high," said Enqvist. "Obviously we know this is a very, very tough tie, but it feels good."

It was the same feeling with the Americans. Patrick McEnroe said his side had a very good record at home and they are confident. It's what Davis Cup is about, getting the fans in the match. McEnroe said winning the tie in Bratislava last year was a big step for his side - winning away.

"Playing at home we like our chances, we're feeling comfortable," said McEnroe. "We know we have to go out and play well. Sweden has a lot of experience. They've played a lot of tough matches at home and on the road, the win in Australia [February in Adelaide] was a great win for them. I don't think it will affect them negatively, hopefully it will affect us in a more positive way."

After the USA experienced some erratic years in the Davis Cup competition, McEnroe believes he now has the best team with Andy Roddick, Mardy Fish and the Bryan twins, lined up to win the Davis Cup.

"Do we have to win it to say we're back? I guess," commented the American captain.

"I think we can reasonably say now we have a very good chance to win it every year. By now means are we the clear favourite but when you look at Spain and France and anyone else that has done well the last couple of years, I don't think there's one team that's a clear favourite every year. There is too much depth, but I think we've set the stage for the next number of years we're certainly going to be in the hunt. That was my goal coming in as captain .... to get a team that could potentially win it every year."
====================================
Finally I've discovered why so many are irritated by PMac. :rolleyes: That's a nice healthy ego he has. :o

misyou25
04-07-2004, 02:57 PM
hey bjorkman-girl, how did you change your flag....

Kristen
04-08-2004, 12:02 AM
You mean, because I'm an aussie but refuse to use that flag near the name bjorkman, and the jarkko pic? ;)

In user cp, there's a pull down menu where it asks you "Which country are you from". I selected Sweden and voila! My flag is Swedish ;) Have a good one! 'm off to uni now :(
^_^

Aleksa's Laydee
04-08-2004, 02:59 PM
You mean, because I'm an aussie but refuse to use that flag near the name bjorkman, and the jarkko pic?

I didnt think you were aussie, i thought you was from sweden :o hehe sorry! :)

Aleksa's Laydee
04-10-2004, 09:43 AM
USA 1 1 Sweden
R1 - J.BJORKMAN (SWE) def. M.FISH (USA)
4-6 6-3 6-2 7-5
R2 - A.RODDICK (USA) def. T.ENQVIST (SWE)
6-4 7-5 6-2

the doubles is all the play for!!! go u yellows!!! sweden woo hooo

J. Corwin
04-10-2004, 09:58 AM
congrats to Jonas!

Kristen
04-10-2004, 10:15 AM
You mean, because I'm an aussie but refuse to use that flag near the name bjorkman, and the jarkko pic?

I didnt think you were aussie, i thought you was from sweden :o hehe sorry! :)

hehe... I wish I was from there...especially when people see me at DC ties, cheering for those guys, with my aussie accent :cool: . The patriotic Aussies...they don't appreciate it too much. Well, the Sydney fans in 2001 didn't. Adelaide however, were much nicer about it ;)

Aleksa's Laydee
04-10-2004, 06:50 PM
hehe... I wish I was from there...especially when people see me at DC ties, cheering for those guys, with my aussie accent :cool: . The patriotic Aussies...they don't appreciate it too much. Well, the Sydney fans in 2001 didn't. Adelaide however, were much nicer about it ;)

i know what ya mean i wish i was from sweden too, 1 b/c swedish players are better than english ones (except greg :D) and 2 they are so fine and i'm so going to marry a swedish guy (thomas e hopefully :haha: )
i'm suprised you didnt get beaten up or something so were u cheering for sweden in the last round of the DC?

Ma. Estefania
04-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Great to know that they're tied 1-1.

Good luck Sweden! :bounce:

Btw....does anyone know how to say "Come on" or "Good luck" in Swedish? I'd like to learn it. ;)

Kristen
04-11-2004, 02:17 AM
i know what ya mean i wish i was from sweden too, 1 b/c swedish players are better than english ones (except greg :D) and 2 they are so fine and i'm so going to marry a swedish guy (thomas e hopefully :haha: )
i'm suprised you didnt get beaten up or something so were u cheering for sweden in the last round of the DC?

I agree with everything here! lol but I don't know about Greg because I haven't seen him play :eek: Yeah, I think I'll prob end up with a european... my dating history indicates that kind of trend.

I think I learned from my first DC tie, that some fans might not appreciate that I'm a Swedish fan (but aussie). I warned the nice ladies behind my friend and I that we may get loud at times. They were cool with it :) Plus we were wearing our swedish flags at times, so I guess that was enough warning. My friend and I went and sat with the Swedish fans after the first match anyway. It felt wrong to be there with the Aussies, when I could be drinking with genuine Swedes, cheering to my hearts content ;)

Ma Estefania.... some words for you:
Kom igen (pronounced kom eeyen) means come on
Jobba (pa) = yobba pa (I think its similar to come on... 'work it' or something.)
I think bra jobb is good job. Not too sure, so don't yell that one out too soon!

crazzzy_grrl
04-11-2004, 10:41 AM
I agree with everything here! lol but I don't know about Greg because I haven't seen him play :eek: Yeah, I think I'll prob end up with a european... my dating history indicates that kind of trend.

I think I learned from my first DC tie, that some fans might not appreciate that I'm a Swedish fan (but aussie). I warned the nice ladies behind my friend and I that we may get loud at times. They were cool with it :) Plus we were wearing our swedish flags at times, so I guess that was enough warning. My friend and I went and sat with the Swedish fans after the first match anyway. It felt wrong to be there with the Aussies, when I could be drinking with genuine Swedes, cheering to my hearts content ;)

Jobba (pa) = yobba pa (I think its similar to come on... 'work it' or something.)
I think bra jobb is good job. Not too sure, so don't yell that one out too soon!

Hey b'jorkmans girl.... are you actually australian, or have u a swede background but live in australia. Coz im aussie but i just check this forum out coz i like joachim

Kristen
04-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Hey b'jorkmans girl.... are you actually australian, or have u a swede background but live in australia. Coz im aussie but i just check this forum out coz i like joachim

Yep, I'm an aussie. I live in Sydney (south west sadly! LOL! But in a nice area... not too far from the shire!). My name is Scandinavian appparently, but my heritage is Irish/Scottish so nothing Swedish in there :S Ah well!

PS -> Good taste in players :) Joachim's a good guy. :wavey:
Kristen.

Aleksa's Laydee
04-11-2004, 10:31 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
well jonas lost :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
7-6 6-4(i think) 6-0 :eek:
he must have been mentally and physically tired but over the 3 days he put up a good fight well done jonas :D
thomas j is playing right this minute 1-1 in sets and 1-1 in games v mardy fish!!

Ma. Estefania
04-11-2004, 10:35 PM

Thank u, dear. :kiss:

I'll be practicing them in these days. ;)

Ma. Estefania
04-11-2004, 10:36 PM
A pity for Jonas :sad: and the whole Swedish team.

crazzzy_grrl
04-12-2004, 06:48 AM
Yep, I'm an aussie. I live in Sydney (south west sadly! LOL! But in a nice area... not too far from the shire!). My name is Scandinavian appparently, but my heritage is Irish/Scottish so nothing Swedish in there :S Ah well!

PS -> Good taste in players :) Joachim's a good guy. :wavey:
Kristen.

:lol: Thanks... but i have to admit i only first noticed him coz of his links to lleyton hewitt

Kristen
04-12-2004, 07:15 AM
:lol: Thanks... but i have to admit i only first noticed him coz of his links to lleyton hewitt

hmm... I guess that's ok ;) Time to update hewitts score of brownie points...
For=1
Against= i lost count :confused: LOL! But seriously, apparently Hewitt has helped Joachim work on some aspects of his game, so I give him credit for it :)

Hope Pimpim gets better soon!

misyou25
04-12-2004, 01:30 PM
they fought and they gave their best.... well done!!!

crazzzy_grrl
04-12-2004, 01:48 PM
hmm... I guess that's ok ;) Time to update hewitts score of brownie points...
For=1
Against= i lost count :confused: LOL! But seriously, apparently Hewitt has helped Joachim work on some aspects of his game, so I give him credit for it :)

Hope Pimpim gets better soon!

I think he did, coz i read an article about pimpim after a win and the thanked lleyton for his help
Tho lleyton probly had no choice.... his sister probably made him be nice to her bf :lol:

misyou25
04-13-2004, 11:47 AM
can i ask, who is pimpim?

Kristen
04-13-2004, 11:58 AM
can i ask, who is pimpim?
It's joachim johansson's nickname;)
His brother couldnt say his name when he was little... he said joapim... and pimpim is a type of candy in sweden...so pimpim stuck;)

Aleksa's Laydee
04-13-2004, 04:10 PM
hehe... i wondered why he was nick named that!! :D

Kristen
11-09-2004, 11:39 PM
I took a lot of others.... but here are Jonas and Joachim.

IheartHenman
11-10-2004, 12:08 AM
nice pics! thanks for posting. the third pic is funny, cause they're next to each other and you can really tell how tall pim pim really is! he looks like a giant next to Bj÷rkman! (he looks like... and is.. a giant next to anybody).

oh, BTW, this is JMGs... im just posting on my sister's computer. plus, i wanted to see if the avatar i made for her works :yeah:

Bj÷rki
11-10-2004, 05:42 AM
Nice pics BG. :)

Sommarsverige
12-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Just checked some older pics and found this cute DC pic from 2002,
maybe some of you did not know that??

Already looking forward to the Davis Cup 2005 with hopefully a successful Swedish Team ;)

Kristen
12-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Thanks Birte!
:sad: I miss Vinci!
I'll reply to your pm shortly (today or tomorrow) :)

jmgsdoubsprtnr
01-10-2005, 05:39 AM
when does DC start this year? and have they decided on a team yet?

Kristen
01-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Davis Cup - March 4-6 :)

jmgsdoubsprtnr
01-11-2005, 09:36 PM
thanks. that's pretty far away. maybe if tompa does better (which he seems to be this year) they'll pick him to be on the team!