The crowd is all against Berdych [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The crowd is all against Berdych

Billabong
10-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Wow, is there a single person who's cheering for Tomas in this crowd:eek:? They keep clapping EVERY first serve he misses, and whistiling at every point he wins:eek: Tomas is definitely not enjoying this so far...

Alvarillo
10-21-2006, 03:16 PM
5th game, it seems that everything is getting in the normal way
hope it continues better!

selesfan
10-21-2006, 03:17 PM
They are even worse than the NY night crowd. I am surprised that Tomas isn't complaining.

Carito_90
10-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Some things simply aren't done, like stealing, ******, hijacking, etc.

Telling the madrid crowd to shut up is one of them. He should know better. :shrug: He has to accept the consecuences of his acts.

Billabong
10-21-2006, 03:18 PM
The first 3 games were really terrible by the crowd, now they seem to have calmed down a bit... hopefully;)

Broomie
10-21-2006, 03:19 PM
the worst was when he had to do a smash and they started whistling while the ball was still in the air. He almost missed the smash and definitely missed the point after.
But it seems better now.

I Love Kitties
Berdych is a very boring and bland personality. Virtually no personality or excitement in him. As good as his game is, he looks like a pre pubescent boy, and has the humour and charisma of an old man in his final year. I can speak from experience too, he isn't worth cheering for. I have spoken with him a few times at the Paris masters event :eek:

adee-gee
:lol: maybe he might learn the reasons for not inciting a crowd.

mallorn
They are even worse than the NY night crowd. I am surprised that Tomas isn't complaining.
:eek: God I hope he doesn't! It could get really out of hand then.

Billabong
10-21-2006, 03:21 PM
yah, Tomas should remain silent or the crowd might double of intensity;):eek:

*Viva Chile*
10-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Just stop whining, Tomas did a stupid gesture to the crowd yesterday after he won his match, he needs to think more before he did something like that or simply accept the consecuences for doing it.

selesfan
10-21-2006, 03:25 PM
He is a lot cuter than Nadal.:rolleyes:

Leo
10-21-2006, 03:26 PM

Telling the madrid crowd to shut up is one of them. He should know better. :shrug: He has to accept the consecuences of his acts.

Please tell me you are kidding. ****** is now comparable to silencing an obnoxious group of idiots??

Fight through it, Tomas. They just bitter you own Nadal. :devil:

Kalliopeia
10-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah, complaining would be absolutely the wrong thing to do, surely he's not that stupid.

I Love Kitties
10-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Please tell me you are kidding. ****** is now comparable to silencing an obnoxious group of idiots??

That was a very insensitive post from "carito90" very childish too. She should have thought before she posted :rolleyes:

KaxMisha
10-21-2006, 03:30 PM
How/where are you guys watching the match?

Sunset of Age
10-21-2006, 03:30 PM

word. Word. WORD. WORD!!!
Bunch of sore loosers they are. Sorry, can't help myself here.
Rooting for Tomas, even if to no avail. :worship:

selesfan
10-21-2006, 03:31 PM

Its on the Tennis Channel

KaxMisha
10-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Its on the Tennis Channel

I see. Is there a stream for that somewhere on the web? We don't get it in Sweden...

Broomie
10-21-2006, 03:32 PM
I don't know why, but it reminds me of a younger marat (18 years old I think), when he was at RG 98 playing against Pioline (qualifier, it was a 4th round match). The whole stadium was for Pioline (understand against Marat), and at some point he did some gestures to the crowd. They booed him, it was a hot match. But I guess because he played so good (maybe also because he lost, lol), and the good run he had had, they still clapped him in the end, he waved at the crowd as well. He's never had any other "issue" with the crowd in France, and ever since, he's always been a public favorite here, people just love him, and he gives it back to the crowd.

Maybe because Tomas gesture seemed so calculated, he'll never get away with it. Too bad, he should have thought about it, and not make things worse when he sat on his chair.

rofe
10-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Birdman should have expected it.

Chileno
10-21-2006, 03:33 PM
angry Madrid fans + usual crazy Chilean fans = public you don't want to have against you.

rofe
10-21-2006, 03:34 PM

Online at the ATP site.

*Ljubica*
word. Word. WORD. WORD!!!
Bunch of sore loosers they are. Sorry, can't help myself here.
Rooting for Tomas, even if to no avail. :worship:

Well I've posted my views on this on the "stupid" thread - but I agree with you. That crowd didn't want to watch a tennis match today - the booed Berdych from the minute he stepped out on court, and when his first serve in the very 1st game was a fault - they cheered :rolleyes: Bunch of sore losers is the polite way of describing them in my opinion - and I am cheering for him too though normally I like Gonzalez. They are just unsporting and I LOATHE bad sports.

Naranoc
That was a very insensitive post from "carito90" very childish too. She should have thought before she posted :rolleyes:

When were you assigned the role of MTF police? :confused:

As much as I would love it to happen, you can't silence a rowdy crowd. Berdych will just have to pull through as best as he can :shrug:

NicoFan
10-21-2006, 03:36 PM
angry Madrid fans + usual crazy Chilean fans = public you don't want to have against you.

Indeed. :lol:

tennisgal_001
10-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Meh. The crowd is hating on Berdych NOT supporting Gonzo.
Shocking...:rolleyes:

I Love Kitties
When were you assigned the role of MTF police? :confused:

Tell that to the victims of the crimes she mentioned :rolleyes: I am sure they would appreciate her insensitive posts greatly :rolleyes: :rolleyes: To even mention those crimes in the context she did is disgusting :eek:

*Ljubica*

On Sky Sports in the UK:)

cmurray
10-21-2006, 03:38 PM
It's been bad behavior all the way around, hasn't it? It's one thing to piss of a partisan crowd during a final - because you don't have to deal with it the next day. But with two more potential matches to go before the tourney is over it's just plain dumb.

The crowd is being horrible. I don't like a nasty crowd in ANY sport, but with his gesture after that match yesterday, he might as well have served the crowd with an official petition asking for it. The crowd sucks, but I'm finding it difficult to feel sorry for him.

Sunset of Age
10-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Well I've posted my views on this on the "stupid" thread - but I agree with you. That crowd didn't want to watch a tennis match today - the booed Berdych from the minute he stepped out on court, and when his first serve in the very 1st game was a fault - they cheered :rolleyes: Bunch of sore losers is the polite way of describing them in my opinion - and I am cheering for him too though normally I like Gonzalez. They are just unsporting and I LOATHE bad sports.

Well, Rosie, couldn't agree with you more.
And I know I sound like a repetitive recording - but I am in fact a Rafa fan.

*Ljubica*
10-21-2006, 03:39 PM

Pesonally I would not be proud of that :rolleyes: I would rather be part of a crowd that people generally thought of as well-behaved, sporting and respectful :)

mallorn
10-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Birdman should have expected it.
No kidding.

They're really getting to him today, unlike yesterday.

tennisgal_001
10-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Oh well, Berdych's torture is almost over, after going down a set n' a break. 20 more minutes and he's out of there. Such a shame...

*Ljubica*
10-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Well, Rosie, couldn't agree with you more.
And I know I sound like a repetitive recording - but I am in fact a Rafa fan.

:hug: Even more respect to you for your sporting attitude then :)

tangerine_dream
10-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Wow, is there a single person who's cheering for Tomas in this crowd:eek:? They keep clapping EVERY first serve he misses, and whistiling at every point he wins:eek: Tomas is definitely not enjoying this so far...
He was the one who egged on the Madrid crowd and acted like a wanker last night. He will have to live with the consequences.

~EMiLiTA~
10-21-2006, 03:42 PM
such a shame the last few days of the tournament have to end like this - it's pathetic

TNX1.0E6TOPCA
10-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Olivier Jacquemin and Lionel Roux ... 2 fucking asshole commentators on French channel Sport + http://www.les-smileys.com/smiley/Smiley/Violent/rocketwhore.gif (http://www.les-smileys.com)

Sunset of Age
10-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Oh well, Berdych's torture is almost over, after going down a set n' a break. 20 more minutes and he's out of there. Such a shame...

Yes. Poor guy! But he most definitely made his mark yesterday. That should taste sweet enough.

And eh, Rosie, THANKEES! :kiss:

selesfan
10-21-2006, 03:44 PM

It looks like he can't wait to get off the court. I predict a bagel for Gonzo.

landoud
that was expected after yesterday's behaviour

Kalliopeia
The crowd is being horrible. I don't like a nasty crowd in ANY sport, but with his gesture after that match yesterday, he might as well have served the crowd with an official petition asking for it. The crowd sucks, but I'm finding it difficult to feel sorry for him.

Agreed completely. They are being awful, but honestly he threw down the gauntlet with his behavior yesterday. Surely he knew it would be like this. I don't feel sorry for him if he's stupid enough to anger an obviously partisan crowd.

nobama
He was the one who egged on the Madrid crowd and acted like a wanker last night. He will have to live with the consequences.
Wanker? That's a bit harsh. He just gave the crowd what they had coming. And yeah he probably should have expected this today but it still doesn't make it right.

cmurray
10-21-2006, 03:45 PM
such a shame the last few days of the tournament have to end like this - it's pathetic

This I agree with. Childish behavior all the way around. Rafa, Berdych, the crowd are all culpable. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Broomie
Olivier Jacquemin and Lionel Roux ... 2 fucking asshole commentators on French channel Sport + http://www.les-smileys.com/smiley/Smiley/Violent/rocketwhore.gif (http://www.les-smileys.com)
they're quite pathetic indeed :rolleyes:

Kip
:lol: maybe he might learn the reasons for not inciting a crowd.

Maybe the crowd could learn not
to behave like petulant little children.:p

Boofreakinghoo! :cool:

~EMiLiTA~
10-21-2006, 03:46 PM
This I agree with. Childish behavior all the way around. Rafa, Berdych, the crowd are all culpable. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

yes precisely...all are to blame in some way. pathetic is the only word

Julio
10-21-2006, 03:47 PM

They just say the truth. Berdych's attitude is horrible on court. Remember against Santoro this year in Wimbledon !!!

*Ljubica*
10-21-2006, 03:48 PM

:worship: So true. Some say they behave like animals - but my cats behave better :rolleyes:

rofe
10-21-2006, 03:50 PM
It is funny though, the crowd by jeering Berdych robbed themselves of a potentially good match.

NicoFan
10-21-2006, 03:51 PM

I'm not sure if I would call him a "wanker" :lol: but I agree that he does have to take the consequences of his actions. All he had to do was hold it in for 2-3 minutes at most...and he didn't. What did he expect? Play with fire and you're going to get burned...

tangerine_dream
Wanker? That's a bit harsh. He just gave the crowd what they had coming. And yeah he probably should have expected this today but it still doesn't make it right.
No, it's not harsh. If you watched the tape you would've noticed that the crowd was ready to politely applause Berdych but then he had to go rub it in the crowd's faces by trying to shush them right after he hit the last point that ended the match. Then he egged them on further by mocking them after he sat down.

Berdych got exactly what he asked for: the crowd completely against him. Next time he'lll think twice before trying to act like a hot shot.

they're quite pathetic indeed :rolleyes:
What are the French commentators saying? :confused:

NYCtennisfan

Horrible analogy.

Chileno
10-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Pesonally I would not be proud of that :rolleyes: I would rather be part of a crowd that people generally thought of as well-behaved, sporting and respectful :)

I was just pointing out the obvious. I AM proud of the Chilean fans, who are clearly supporting Gonzo. I'm not so proud of the Madrid fans who clearly don't care about Gonzo as much as they want Berdych to loose.:rolleyes:

And for the record, Chilean fans are generally thought of as well-behaved, sporting and respectful. Except for that chair throwing shame in the DC tie vs Argentina when they let football fans in.

mallorn
10-21-2006, 03:54 PM
It's a slaughter. The crowd are mad now.

My ancient commentator has no idea what's going on. He thinks Berdych may be injured. :lol: :shrug: He really should be more up to date.

mangoes
These are horrible conditions for any player outside of a davis cup tie. Tennis isn't football, basketball, soccer, or hockey. When I go to a basketball game, I will encourage my team quite loudly while the ball is in play. However, at a tennis match, I will keep quiet while the ball is in play. Different games, different composure, different atmosphere.

This isn't a nice atmosphere for any players. The crowd came today to spitefully force a player to lose. That's simply not nice.......

It is funny though, the crowd by jeering Berdych robbed themselves of a potentially good match.

I don't think they care about having a good tennis match. This is really rediculous for a Master's series SF. Very disappointing.

Kalliopeia

I don't know that they'd have been quite this bloodthirsty if he hadn't acted like he did yesterday. I mean not only did he beat the fan favorite but he then gave attitude to the audience themselves. He can't possibly have expected better.

By the way, Gonzo's forehand is monstrous today, Jesus!

TNX1.0E6TOPCA
10-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Hey Google search engine.... are you surfing around? :angel:

I repeat my message... mayday! mayday! mayday! mayday! :help:

Olivier Jacquemin and Lionel Roux ... 2 fucking asshole commentators on French channel Sport+ http://www.les-smileys.com/smiley/Smiley/Violent/rocketwhore.gif (http://www.les-smileys.com)

cmurray
10-21-2006, 03:56 PM

At this point, I think they will glean FAR more satisfaction from Berdych losing than they would from watching a good tennis match.

My biggest complaint is that Gonzo is playing BEAUTIFUL, inspired tennis. I like him alot and the crowd is stealing his thunder.

nobama
10-21-2006, 03:58 PM
No, it's not harsh. If you watched the tape you would've noticed that the crowd was ready to politely applause Berdych but then he had to go rub it in the crowd's faces by trying to shush them right after he hit the last point that ended the match. Then he egged them on further by mocking them after he sat down.

Berdych got exactly what he asked for: the crowd completely against him. Next time he'lll think twice before trying to act like a hot shot.

What are the French commentators saying? :confused:He beat home boy Nadal in front of a hostlie crowd. He is a big shot.;) He didn't do anything during the match except outplay Nadal. The crowd still treated him like shit. Ooh Berdych put his finger to his mouth....what a horrible thing to do. :eek: What a bunch of babies.

tennisgal_001
10-21-2006, 03:58 PM

I don't think they give a shit anymore...It's a horrible attitude...

LilyRoseAva
10-21-2006, 04:00 PM

I'm agree with you :( these commentors sucks !

Kip
10-21-2006, 04:00 PM
I don't know that they'd have been quite this bloodthirsty if he hadn't acted like he did yesterday. I mean not only did he beat the fan favorite but he then gave attitude to the audience themselves. He can't possibly have expected better.

By the way, Gonzo's forehand is monstrous today, Jesus!

I'd give some damn attitude as well if they acted
like babies because I was the better player that
day beating their hometown hero!

Respect works both ways!

vincayou
10-21-2006, 04:02 PM

I don't know what they have against Berdych. They often comes up with this kind of bullshit "x is not appreciated on tour".

Guess they would not say the same if a French player had done the same gesture yesterday.

fabolous
10-21-2006, 04:02 PM
didn't you see that coming after yesterday? or did you think the madrid crowd suddenly matured overnight? for me it was clear that berdych will have a very hard time today outside there. i don't justify the crowd's behaviour at all (i think it's disgusting) but i knew that they will behave like that even before the match had started. and somehow i hope that berdych also learned his lesson a bit.

TNX1.0E6TOPCA
10-21-2006, 04:03 PM
oh poor baby, precious thing :hug: :hug::hug: so happy that you come to Switzerland next week... you will be well treated by the tv, the Swiss crowd, the fans, the journalists... what did they do to my Berdych in Madrid? :tears: i can't believe it :sad: :sad: :sad:

I Love Kitties
10-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Horrible analogy.

Nice to see I am not the only one to think so :rolleyes:

Chris Seahorse
10-21-2006, 04:08 PM
Berdych got just what he deserved. Congradulations Fernando, a good well done job. I couldn't be happier. I only wish today's crowd could follow Berdych to each and every match he plays for the rest of his career.

Kip
10-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Berdych got just what he deserved. Congradulations Fernando, a good well done. I couldn't be happier. I only wish today's crowd could follow Berdych to each and every match he plays for the rest of his career.

Yes, showing how petty & pathetic
they really are, being the sore losers
they have shown themselves to be despite
the fact that not a one of them hit a single ball. :)

Hokit
10-21-2006, 04:12 PM

There should be consquences for Berdych's actions and yet none for the soccer crowd wannabes? :tape:

And :lol: at comparing a shushing gesture to "stealing", "******" and "hijacking" :rolls: Maybe drawing the comparison to the crowd's behaviour would've made a better point.

mongo
10-21-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm disappointed to see Tomas cower today after gesturing to the crowd yesterday. I got a kick out of the "hush," but clearly he hasn't the mental fortitude to back it up.

SloKid
10-21-2006, 04:14 PM

Tell me you're joking. :rolleyes:
Comparing those things to this is appaling.
You should just admit that Rafa lost to a better player and I see nothing in your post about what the crowd did. Double standards?
What he did towards the crowd happened after the match and the crowd was awful in the second set, during that time Tomas did absolutely nothing malicious towards Rafa or the crowd and not the same can be said for other parties involved.

Chris Seahorse
10-21-2006, 04:15 PM
They just say the truth. Berdych's attitude is horrible on court. Remember against Santoro this year in Wimbledon !!!

Precisely. I will never forget that match against Santoro. And the way he has acted the week shows he has learnt nothing. He remains a conceited unsporting jerk.

cmurray
10-21-2006, 04:21 PM
You're right about the crowd being ready to applaud him at the end, but they were also asses during match. Wildly cheering a double fault? Yeah, it'd've been nice if Berdych had been the better person and tried to be above it all, but sorry, it takes two to tango, and neither party behaved well.

The only reasons I wish Berdych had kept his finger to himself is that he in effect lowered himself to the crowd's level and also insured that they'd be hostile today.

Partisan crowds are always asses. Always. You'd think players would be used to it by now. Could Baggy have made rude gestures at the USO and been completely justified in doing so? You bet he could. But he didn't and he gained a stadium full of new fans for it.

Tennis fans pay a LOT of money to go to tourneys and tennis players make an absurd amount of money for playing a game. They want to cheer for the hometown boy and they aren't always going to be polite about it. Why should Berdych keep his head when the crowd is cheering for the hometown boy? Because first of all, they weren't cheering against him, they were cheering for Rafa. A double fault means a point for Rafa - that's the only reason they cheered. And secondly, it's his JOB. Tennis is Berdych's job. The prize money he earns is supplied by those people he was mocking. And in the end, it didn't even cause him to lose the match.

canbera
10-21-2006, 04:31 PM
of course the Spanish crowd can be a pain in the ass, but on the other hand his "shhhh" gesture is pretty provocative. he did the same thing at the World Team Cup after playing against Nicolas Kiefer, and it's just bad behaviour in my opinion. I was standing there, and thought to myself what his problem is. He had a touch match, the crowd was for Nicolas Kiefer... but what does he expect? to play a tournament and everyone is absolutely silent? you can't treat the crowd bad, or you will have it against you. that's the way it is. accept it or get some manners.

enqvistfan
10-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Well, he paid what he has done yesterday evening. I don't like Nadal but I think the spanish crowd didn't deserve that. Tomas is a bit young and will realise later, with more maturity that he hasn't done a great thing last night.

Sad for him because he's a pleasant player to watch.

Anyway, congratulations to Gonzalez :hug:

sanpo
10-21-2006, 04:37 PM
5th game, it seems that everything is getting in the normal way
hope it continues better!

Oh my. You were great with your picture threads, but PLEASE

stop being a :retard: there was nothing NORMAL in that match.

Kalliopeia
10-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Hopefully the soundwaves produced by the screaming crowd weren't so strong that they snapped those skinny model ballgirls in half. :awww:

:haha::haha::haha:

Kalliopeia
10-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Partisan crowds are always asses. Always. You'd think players would be used to it by now. Could Baggy have made rude gestures at the USO and been completely justified in doing so? You bet he could. But he didn't and he gained a stadium full of new fans for it.

See this is exactly the thing. If Baggy had won that match the crowd would be disappointed but they'd have given him the credit he deserved, especially if he displayed the same kind of grace he did in his loss.

Berdych should have risen above the crowd's behavior during the Nadal match, but instead he chose to be immature rub it in their faces. No, it doesn't make the crowd's behavior today right, but it does make it expected.

gogogirl
10-21-2006, 04:51 PM
You're right about the crowd being ready to applaud him at the end, but they were also asses during match. Wildly cheering a double fault? Yeah, it'd've been nice if Berdych had been the better person and tried to be above it all, but sorry, it takes two to tango, and neither party behaved well.

The only reasons I wish Berdych had kept his finger to himself is that he in effect lowered himself to the crowd's level and also insured that they'd be hostile today.

All,

I agree with many of you - and especially the poster above. It's hard for anyone and whether they won or lost to keep their emotions in check against a mob mentality type crowd. Y'all want to know who really did it? Serena did it @ Indian Wells in 2001 wasn't it? Some aren't able to do it.

It's documented that thru-out the match on yesterday - Berdy acted like a complete gentleman compared to his counterpart. It was only at the end of the match that he couldn't hold it in? I mean really - are some saying that in the sport of tennis - it is normal that crowds for no reason other than that their home town boy/man is playing - do they get to show such disrespect against a player? If some believe that Berdy acted like a gentleman during the match on yesterday and didn't deserve the crowd's rancor -then is it that much of a stretch to believe that they would have done the same to any other player Nadal was playing against?

Surely - Berdy had to face the consequences - but I'd bet big bucks that it was more Gonzo's play that was getting to him than the crowd. I mean - Gonzo has a winning record against him. And if I were him - I'd play Madrid again next year - and just block all of the nonsense out. If a crowd treated any other player the way they treated him on yesterday before the finger to the lips - then any other player would also have felt the disrespect from that rancous crowd; in which was totally unnecessary.

I think the crowd held it in pretty good when all of the other Spanish players were going down - but they couldn't continue to show their gracious manners when their golden boy - and FO champion was getting ready to be shown the door. At what point did Berdy deserve their rancor before the last point?

Chris Seahorse
10-21-2006, 04:58 PM
See this is exactly the thing. If Baggy had won that match the crowd would be disappointed but they'd have given him the credit he deserved, especially if he displayed the same kind of grace he did in his loss.

Berdych should have risen above the crowd's behavior during the Nadal match, but instead he chose to be immature rub it in their faces. No, it doesn't make the crowd's behavior today right, but it does make it expected.

Precisely. If Bagdatis or Gonzo or Gasquet or some other player with a bit more class had beaten Nadal would the crowd have turned against them like they did against Berdych. Of course not. They turned against Berdych because they disliked the man's attitude and I for one can't blame them for that.

gogogirl
10-21-2006, 05:00 PM
All,

I just saw the match all the way thru - and not at one point did Berdy show anything but concentration until the finger incident.

I Love Kitties
10-21-2006, 05:07 PM
Precisely. If Bagdatis or Gonzo or Gasquet or some other player with a bit more class had beaten Nadal would the crowd have turned against them like they did against Berdych. Of course not. They turned against Berdych because they disliked the man's attitude and I for one can't blame them for that.

Chris, you are very wise :yeah: I have agreed with every post I have seen from you. I take my hat off :worship:

DDrago2
10-21-2006, 05:09 PM
I'd reccomend Berdych to accept himself as a bad boy from now on. No point giving resistance anymore...

Carito_90
10-21-2006, 05:23 PM

I hardly said that, I didn't compare it, I merely wanted to state it is one of the things you simply don't do, because it's wrong and anyone who has an insignificantly tiny bit of brains knows shouldn't be done because of the consecuences it may bring. Of course they're in a different league, geez.

I think it's overly understood the fact that ****** is worse than shutting people up. :rolleyes: Please.

Chris Seahorse
10-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Riles up a partisian crowd, mocks them, acts like a smug, sore winner in the press room. Then he plays possum and wonders why the crowd was so against him today. "I did nothing wrong, waaa." :baby:

Rafa was right: Berdshit IS stupid. Muy estupido.

Good call, Rafa. :)

I love it!!! :worship: Very well put.

User id 7816
10-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Berdych got his boos yesterday when he provoked them with the "shhh", the atmosphere added and all, I understand! But this thing today was completely :retard: :retard: :retard:. So these people did not come to watch a tennis match but to boo the player away. :retard: Frankly Im really disappointed to see this in a place with such rich tennis tradition. This isn't temperament, its lack of class.

Chris Seahorse
10-21-2006, 05:49 PM
They were booing him long before the match with Nadal ended, so what sort of attitude did Tomas exhibit to provoke that?

I'd have been much much happier with Tomas had he emulated Baghdatis's example from the USO match against Agassi, but to speak of what happened as if the crowd behaved perfectly UNTIL Tomas put up his finger is ridiculous.

Well then we must have been watching different matches. It sure looked to me like he was taunting both the crowd and Nadal throughout the match.

jacobhiggins
10-21-2006, 05:50 PM
of course the Spanish crowd can be a pain in the ass, but on the other hand his "shhhh" gesture is pretty provocative. he did the same thing at the World Team Cup after playing against Nicolas Kiefer, and it's just bad behaviour in my opinion. I was standing there, and thought to myself what his problem is. He had a touch match, the crowd was for Nicolas Kiefer... but what does he expect? to play a tournament and everyone is absolutely silent? you can't treat the crowd bad, or you will have it against you. that's the way it is. accept it or get some manners.

If you were there you know what his problem was, the crowd were being jerks and he shoved it right back in there face, it sounds like the Kiefer's fans are the ones that couldn't take it!

jacobhiggins
10-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Well then we must have been watching different matches. It sure looked to me like he was taunting both the crowd and Nadal throughout the match.

You need glasses then!

Neely
10-21-2006, 06:20 PM
If you were there you know what his problem was, the crowd were being jerks and he shoved it right back in there face, it sounds like the Kiefer's fans are the ones that couldn't take it!
Disagree, it was a normal World Team Cup crowd without any major happenings against Berdych. I can assure you that people were not sad when he made an easy error, but when Germany played in the Czech Republic it was the same, just the other way (and a different outcome for the team). He just has to accept that a crowd in Germany has most likely a preference for whom to root just like many other players do.

cmurray
10-21-2006, 06:25 PM
J'torian - please don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to say that it's okay to applaud double faults - it isn't. It's certainly rude behavior- what I was trying to say is that the crowd gets caught up in the excitement of the match. I doubt they're thinking "Hey idiot, you just double faulted". What they're thinking is "okay! one point closer to a service break". And Tomas has now been on tour long enough (i'd think) to realize that.

sawan66278
10-21-2006, 06:29 PM
CMurray...you are 100% correct...Berdych is a baby...and, instead of reveling in the atmosphere that Bags did at the Open, he reacted in a provacative and antagonistic manner...While Rafa may have won, this will haunt Berdych for some time...Are we seeing the next coming of Keifer?...we shall see.

hablovah19
10-21-2006, 06:36 PM

That probably has something to do with comments Berdych made about Gasquet and Monfils : ask SW for the details ... :lol:

Deivid23
10-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Bunch of sore losers is the polite way of describing them in my opinion .

Hypocrite is my polite way of describing your attitude :retard:

trulliscorpion
10-21-2006, 06:43 PM
So, the crowd kept clapping his serve faults and all that unsporting crap yesterday and if he complains it gets worse?

That's the definition of tyranny.

Alexandy
10-21-2006, 06:44 PM
That probably has something to do with comments Berdych made about Gasquet and Monfils : ask SW for the details ... :lol:

What did Berdych say about them?

TNX1.0E6TOPCA
10-23-2006, 08:54 PM
I refer to what's happened to Tomas Berdych in Madrid because of the crowd... I felt so bad while watching the final and I searched in my memories this strange feeling I already had before. And today I remember... it was at the French Open, the 1999 final Hingis/Graf. Oh my god, the French crowd... it was horrible. After that Martina Hingis did not play any tournament and when she came back, it was @ Wimbledon, she lost early in first round by 6-2 6-0 to Jelena Dokic. This is why I worry a lot about Tomas Berdych. He withdrew from Basel and he has to defend his title in Paris-Bercy. Plus when you don't feel good in your head, soul, heart... you are vulnerable and easily injure yourself. In a sense I'm happy that the tennis season soon will be over.

People, people... YOU DON'T DO THAT TO AN INDIVIDUAL TENNIS-PRO. It was a true lynching. Such an awful experience for a young player! you don't escape unhurt...

Take care. God bless.

Naranoc
10-23-2006, 09:01 PM
As much as I think what the crowd did in Berdych's next match was unacceptable, I don't think he'll be scarred becasue of it or anything extreme like that. Did you watch Baghdatis/Agassi at this years USO? He was cramping terribly at the end of the match and getting booed everytime, even though he was having difficulty moving. It's no big deal - I'm sure Berdych considers breaking into the top 10 more noteworthy anyway :shrug:

scoobs
10-24-2006, 12:50 AM
A difficult experience for him, but hopefully a learning one.

"The crowd" is not an entity, it's a collection of people with their own behaviour over whom it is virtually impossible to exert control if their will is to be troublesome. Berdych, whether instinctively or purposefully, whether knowlegeably or naively, antagonised them. It's no good doing that - you can't win. You can't expect 10,000 people to collectively say "well that's me told" when you shush them after beating their man. Regardless of their behaviour, which was bad, you just don't provoke them if you can help it. As he learned to his cost, they don't forgive and forget - they'll boo you every match after that for kicks and try and put you off. You can't win that battle and the smart player doesn't even try.

A partisan crowd is a force of nature - goad them at your peril.

If he's any sense he won't have to repeat this lesson in future.

cmurray
10-24-2006, 01:59 AM
Well, I agree that it's wrong to think that everyone in the crowd who acts that way is going to be thinking negatively, but I think it's also wrong to assume that no one is. Probably the best example I could give is when I saw Robredo lose to Philippousis this year and I had the "fortune" to sit next to a bunch of Flip fans who cheered wildly for Robredo's errors and muttered "Miss, miss!" under their breath when he'd hit the ball. :o They were pretty negative, frankly.

And actually I wasn't even too annoyed by them because they were being pretty subdued about it. Had I sat a bit further away I probably wouldn't have even noticed them. The crowd during this match, however, wasn't exercising any restraint/consideration at all.

And yes, I agree that Tomas should have known that people can sometimes get carried away, but if he is supposed to be able to have that sort of empathy in such an energy-charged, high-stress situation, I think we and the people who are criticizing him for his behavior should be able to employ the same empathy in understanding why he shushed the crowd. As a pro player, could he have set a better example by not descending to the crowd's level? Yes. But is what he did understandable? Completely, which is why I'm not going to criticize or demonize him over it. As I said elsewhere, my only concern regarding his behavior is a pragmatic one: that it just made the crowds more hostile the next day.

This is a good sensible post, and I mostly agree with you. I surely understand why he did what he did...he was pissed at them and he wanted to let them know that their tactics didn't work. Completely understandable. HOWEVER there is a price to pay for indulging the impulse to rub it in.

As for the crowd...I realize that some of them are being negative - there are people like that in every crowd - but for the most part they just wanted Rafi to win, not Berdych to lose if you know what I mean.

Corey Feldman
10-24-2006, 02:43 AM
darn i missed this thread :(

well anyhoo, who cares... props to ya Berdy, you carried out procedure perfectly... defeated him, made him show what a little maddam he can be :haha: and told that crowd to shove it right up them :yeah:

:lol:

after the fact, whiners are weiners.