Why is Nadal so far [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why is Nadal so far

Wannabeknowitall
10-20-2006, 06:33 PM
Although I've noticed it for a while, I would have to say it's more obvious to see Nadal's weakness today than any other time.
He has lost this year to Johannson & Berdych and had scares from Sam Quierry and Robert Kendrick.
He doesn't get his spin high enough against the taller players and that gives them just enough to be able to hit the ball on the rise, something that a shorter player like James Blake has consistently been able to do against Nadal.

kuchkuch
10-20-2006, 06:48 PM
behind the baseline when returning? How can he possibly play aggresive and get a chance to break. Is he hoping that berdych will play a bad service game and give him a break?

bluefork
10-20-2006, 06:50 PM
What I don't understand is why Nadal isn't flattening out his shots a little more. He did it at Wimbledon more, but he hasn't seemed to do it since. What's that about?

kuchkuch
10-20-2006, 07:00 PM
I think he can flatten his shot when he has time and is in a position to do so, but he is so far behind the baseline that he is scrambling all over the court, and being dragged from one side to the other. He is not getting many chances to dictate.

GlennMirnyi
10-20-2006, 07:03 PM
What I don't understand is why Nadal isn't flattening out his shots a little more. He did it at Wimbledon more, but he hasn't seemed to do it since. What's that about?

He's a moonballer man... what do you expect from that extreme grip?

stebs
10-20-2006, 07:06 PM
If he starts stepping up the court and flattening out his shots I don't think that will work. Then all he'll be doing is trying to copy Berdych's game style but he won't be able to do it so well. Of course he is standing slightly TOO far back but I don't agree that he should radically change his play style.

DrJules
10-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Berdych hits his forehand and backhand technically more correct and through the ball more than Nadal which gives him much more penetration. Nadal finds it difficult to take the ball early and is having to stand so far back to return these power shots.

stebs
10-20-2006, 07:09 PM
Berdych hits his forehand and backhand technically more correct and through the ball more than Nadal which gives him much more penetration. Nadal finds it difficult to take the ball early and is having to stand so far back to return these power shots.

:yeah: If Nadal was standing at the baseline in these rallies the winners would be flying past him. As it is he can get back a lot of balls, when Berdych does hit a real clean winner you just have to say too good.

t0x
10-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Nadal's not a natural aggressive player. If he stands at the baseline all the time, quite a lot of people would just be able to hit the winner before him.

He'll learn, but that really isn't something that happens in one season... right now if he plays somebody hitting the lines and not missing much on a fast-ish court, too good - he's lost.

bluefork
10-20-2006, 07:29 PM
If he starts stepping up the court and flattening out his shots I don't think that will work. Then all he'll be doing is trying to copy Berdych's game style but he won't be able to do it so well. Of course he is standing slightly TOO far back but I don't agree that he should radically change his play style.

Well, I don't recommend that Nadal go for a huge flat shot every ball (like Berdych), but he really isn't going to be too successful on hardcourts if he can't step up and flatten it out a little more than he is right now.

stebs
10-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Well, I don't recommend that Nadal go for a huge flat shot every ball (like Berdych), but he really isn't going to be too successful on hardcourts if he can't step up and flatten it out a little more than he is right now.

In some scenario's I can agree but in this match he is playing the way he should be. He is putting big pressure on Berdych but Tomas is playing really good.