David Nalbandian: the true fighter has emerged [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

David Nalbandian: the true fighter has emerged

LocoPorElTenis
10-20-2006, 04:00 PM
For a third time in a row he broke back when his opponent was serving for the match and went on to win the match.

He chokes games and sets but shows an amazing fighting spirit. Of course, his returning skills help him accomplish this.

I know many don't like Nalbo, and I agree his blog is pathetic and he went over the top against TH. But I think we should all admire his fighting spirit and the entertaining matches he offers.

:angel:

Sunset of Age
10-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Good fight from Nalby, indeed. Feel a mite sorry for poor Marat...

r2473
10-20-2006, 04:03 PM
How did that game at 6-5 with Safin serving go? Did Nalbo win it, or did Safin piss it down his leg?

marcelwks
10-20-2006, 04:06 PM
line referee won it for Nalbandian

Julio1974
10-20-2006, 04:07 PM
I haven't been so happy since he beat Federer in Shanghai. When he lost the second set I thought GSM. I closed the windows with the socre and carried on working. When I had a look again he was 4-4, and I was so surprised. Then again, when he got broken and Safin served for match II thought it was over. I wish I could have seen him celebrating. WHAT A VICTORY !!!!!!!!!!

LocoPorElTenis
10-20-2006, 04:10 PM

Marat was out of challenges. Only Marat can be blamed for that. Mistakes do happen, that's what the challenge system is for.

Even after that point, Nalb won the next two. He could have saved mps as well. No way to know, and not relevant.

mongo
10-20-2006, 04:12 PM
For a third time in a row he broke back when his opponent was serving for the match and went on to win the match.

He chokes games and sets but shows an amazing fighting spirit. Of course, his returning skills help him accomplish this.

I know many don't like Nalbo, and I agree his blog is pathetic and he went over the top against TH. But I think we should all admire his fighting spirit and the entertaining matches he offers.

:angel:

For a match or two, this is a constant with the guy. But has he ever been able to sustain it beyond that...

(hint: 5 ATP titles)

stebs
10-20-2006, 04:13 PM
How did that game at 6-5 with Safin serving go? Did Nalbo win it, or did Safin piss it down his leg?

To get to 30-30 there were a few crazy points with bad calls, challenges and it was hard to know what the score actually was. After that two very good points for Nalbandian to win the game.

allblue
What exactly happend at 6-5 Marat serving for match??? Something to do with challenge, linesman??? My scoreboard crashed and the next thing I saw was the beginning of TB.

garylanders

heheh, sore loser ? :)

/GL

Salvy41
10-20-2006, 04:15 PM
That was an awful end to the match I have to say. Safin's shot at match point is called out, when it was in and Nalbandian was unable to get it back in play. Nalbandian is somehow allowed to challenge Safin's 2nd serve even when he continues rallying and obviously had no intention of stopping until his return was called out. And the umpire got the score wrong, it was deuce instead of 30-30.

Nalbandian did very well in the tie-break, but the game where Safin was serving at 6-5 was disgraceful...

Adler
10-20-2006, 04:15 PM
The quality of linesmen in this tournament is veeery low. Federer - 2 challenges in a row correct, most challenges today were correct... what do we need linesmen for?

Hendu
10-20-2006, 04:16 PM
I haven't been so happy since he beat Federer in Shanghai. When he lost the second set I thought GSM. I closed the windows with the socre and carried on working. When I had a look again he was 4-4, and I was so surprised. Then again, when he got broken and Safin served for match II thought it was over. I wish I could have seen him celebrating. WHAT A VICTORY !!!!!!!!!!

It was a great match and a great victory for Nalbandian. :worship:

Also valuable ranking points for him.

tennisgal_001
10-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Here's my interpretation of what happened, feel free to correct me since I didn't actually watch the match

At *6-5 *30-15 Marat hit a good serve... A VERY LATE CALL from the linesman it was out wide... Marat was out of challenges and being Marat, got distracted, lost the next 2 points ALTHOUGH IT WAS *30-30 which ain't all bad... his mind wandered away in the TB although it wasn't over, and blew it.
Question: Did David know the serve was good (ala Henman), or did he call it out?!

marcelwks
10-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Marat was out of challenges. Only Marat can be blamed for that. Mistakes do happen, that's what the challenge system is for.

Even after that point, Nalb won the next two. He could have saved mps as well. No way to know, and not relevant.

come on it was on the line that even I saw it at small betandwin video and fuckin referee was waiting soooooo long to call it out .
It's ubelievable at this level.

Nitefaery
10-20-2006, 04:22 PM

HE IS A LINESMAN AND HAS A JOB TO DO!!!!
I would agree with you if it was a close call but the ball was completley in.
Referee's fault, but hey.. it happens.

Sakura 0101
10-20-2006, 04:22 PM
David !!!! you are the GREAT !!!!:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

safinalium
10-20-2006, 04:29 PM
oh yeah what a great fighter. :lol:

Nalbandian didn't win the match, Safin lost it. :banghead:

allblue
10-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Here's my interpretation of what happened, feel free to correct me since I didn't actually watch the match

At *6-5 *30-15 Marat hit a good serve... A VERY LATE CALL from the linesman it was out wide... Marat was out of challenges and being Marat, got distracted, lost the next 2 points ALTHOUGH IT WAS *30-30 which ain't all bad... his mind wandered away in the TB although it wasn't over, and blew it.
Question: Did David know the serve was good (ala Henman), or did he call it out?!

Thanks for the explanation. Someone said Nalby pulled a Henman stunt not giving a point back to Marat during the 30-15 serve, and then he challenged his return call and was correct....

I hope someone has recorded that game and put it up on youtube...

Nalbandian!!!
10-20-2006, 04:30 PM

excuses , excuses, and more whinning...

They cant accept that number 3 in the world is a fantastic tennis player.:worship:

LocoPorElTenis
10-20-2006, 04:32 PM
First SF for David since RG :woohoo:
Good luck against Fed and in Paris :yeah:

gulzhan
10-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Safin won the match! :mad:

At his advantage at 6-5 the ball was in (right on line!) but the linesman called it out... :mad: And Safin had no challenge left... :sad: He did not hear the call and went to the net for handshake.... How was he supposed to play a tb after that?! :mad: He is a great man but still a human being...

The umpire really sucked, the worst umpire ever!!!! The linemen were a joke!!! They screwed the first set and the end of the third...

Sorry, Marat :sad: Have the head up :worship: You are staying cool and that is important!

Hendu
10-20-2006, 04:37 PM
oh yeah what a great fighter. :lol:

Nalbandian didn't win the match, Safin lost it. :banghead:

Yes, Safin loses and wins all his matches.

The other player has nothing to do with that, never.

You are hilarious.

Nalbandian was the better player today. Deal with it!

Checho
10-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Nalbandian was robbed several times, especially in the States, so it was time that Nalbandian get favoured once.

And the rule is very clear, the player is allowed to hit the ball once before asking the call. so Grillotti was rigth in gives Nalbandian the overrule.

At last, in the 2nd set, Nalbandian was robbed too, Safin drop the racquet in a volley and the racquet touches the net before the ball bounces twice.

allblue
10-20-2006, 04:45 PM

At his advantage at 6-5 the ball was in (right on line!) but the linesman called it out... :mad: And Safin had no challenge left... :sad: He did not hear the call and went to the net for handshake.... How was he supposed to play a tb after that?! :mad: He is a great man but still a human being...

OMG....:eek: That is sooo wrong...Oh Marat...

stebs
10-20-2006, 04:46 PM

At his advantage at 6-5 the ball was in (right on line!) but the linesman called it out... :mad: And Safin had no challenge left... :sad: He did not hear the call and went to the net for handshake.
Safin never had match point. :lol:

lordmanji
10-20-2006, 04:46 PM
number of challenges should be upped from 2 to 3. also, challenging an umpire's call should not count as a challenge.

Hendu
10-20-2006, 04:47 PM

The umpire really sucked, the worst umpire ever!!!! The linemen were a joke!!! They screwed the first set and the end of the third...

Sorry, Marat :sad: Have the head up :worship: You are staying cool and that is important!

Why don't you go and watch the match again.... :rolleyes:

allero
10-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Well maybe it was about time David caught a break? Anyone remember that in the first two sets vs. Federer in the TMC final he was robbed over and over again? And it is just one of many examples....really glad to see David get a win over Marat!!:worship:

atheneglaukopis
10-20-2006, 04:50 PM

Sorry, Marat :sad: Have the head up :worship: You are staying cool and that is important!I'd forgotten about that. He did go to the net for the handshake. No, he never did have match point, according to the official score, but I can't blame him for getting confused, if he was wrong, because it was very confusing, and if he was right, that's even worse.

Hendu
10-20-2006, 04:55 PM
I'd forgotten about that. He did go to the net for the handshake. No, he never did have match point, according to the official score, but I can't blame him for getting confused, if he was wrong, because it was very confusing, and if he was right, that's even worse.

There was one mistake. A ball of Safin was in, and it was called out. And he couldn't challenge it.

Thats all.

Then the match went on, and Nalbandian won the tie break with a big margin.

Safin didn't have a match point.

gulzhan
10-20-2006, 05:14 PM

I watched the match closely. The whole 12th game was a real mess.

At 6-5 30-15, Safin served 2nd serve, Nalba returned in out, after the out call on Nalba's return, Nalba challenged second serve (are there rules on when the challenge could be made? you are right, the challenge was after a significant amount of time after the actual serve!) and it was out, so the umpire said double fault and 30-30.

I don't know if Safin was understanding what was going -- his concentration on his serve was tremendous, he did not think of anything, just stayed calm and did not argue, did not stop (which he should have I think).

So, he served and lead 40-30. Then at match point his ball was in (right on line!) but the linesman called it out... They showed graphics in broadcasting... Of course Nalba saw that too... And since it was a base line, close to the umpire's side, he should have seen it... Because of the noise Safin did not hear the out call and went to the net when the umpire said 40-40. He did not have challenges left and again-- people were right-- it was his mistake...

Safin returned to serving line and, euh, did he look lost! That was not the end of the story... The next rally was great and Safin had an amazing hit that was very close to the line... The crowd was sure it was in, the umpire and linesman said out (it was a little out, the graphics showed that, but very close!), I don't know if Safin knew the score or not, he did not show any emotion, stayed in game, did not argue, and sort of did not stop to realize the match was sleeping away.... Then the last ball was clear win by Nalba...

After this game Safin plyed tb automatically, being sort of in knock-down, even though it could be hardly noticed...:sad:

Anyway, whatever happend, happened... I just don't think it's fair to say Nalba fought it.. He actually choked I think.... The victory was very circumstantial...

GlennMirnyi
10-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Fighter??? Can't you realise that what happened is that Henman and Safin both choked the match to him? Fighter... yeah! :lol:

gulzhan
10-20-2006, 05:21 PM
At last, in the 2nd set, Nalbandian was robbed too, Safin drop the racquet in a volley and the racquet touches the net before the ball bounces twice.

That's not true, the raquet touched the net after the ball bounced twice or at least that was questionable.... It was a mere pint... Safin waited for umpire to decide.... And if it was wrong, just proves the umpire was weak and screwed the match....

No comparison in my opinion...

Nalbandian!!!
10-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Fighter??? Can't you realise that what happened is that Henman and Safin both choked the match to him? Fighter... yeah! :lol:

STOP crying idiot.

Go drink a caipirinha and stop hating King David.:wavey:

gulzhan
10-20-2006, 05:25 PM

He is cold fish, don't argue.... And loves long matches, long ralleys, has iron nerves along with decent return that makes him top 10... But he is not a fighter and that is why he never won a Masters not to mention a Grand Slam... And never will...

Don't remind me of Shanghai, Fed was injured and it WAS a long 5 set match...

GlennMirnyi
10-20-2006, 05:25 PM
STOP crying idiot.

So you'll start attacking? I won't. I'll just say something...

NO MS.
NO GS.

Come here tomorrow, I've already told ya. Federer ain't a choker.

GlennMirnyi
10-20-2006, 05:26 PM
He is cold fish, don't argue.... And loves long matches, long ralleys, has iron nerves along with decent return that makes him top 10... But he is not a fighter and that is why he never won a Masters not to mention a Grand Slam... And never will...

Iron nerves? If he had, he would have won something except MM tournaments.

ChinoRios4Ever
10-20-2006, 05:27 PM
3 THINGS
- Grillotti SUCKS all the way :mad:
- Nalbi is true a FIGHTER, he always plays at his best the important points :yeah:
- SAFIN IS BACK!!!!! :banana: he played a top level for 2 consecutives week again

Nalbandian!!!
10-20-2006, 05:29 PM
DAVID NALBANDIAN IS THE REIGNING MASTERS CUP CHAMPION.

Hendu
10-20-2006, 05:29 PM

decent return? :eek: and iron nerves.

If you think those are the only good things in Nalbandian's game, then I'm sorry for you.

For me, he is the most talented along with Federer and Safin.

garylanders
10-20-2006, 05:30 PM
STOP crying idiot.

+1

Checho
10-20-2006, 05:30 PM

Federer wasn't injured, an injured palyer can't beat Nalbandian, Coria, Ljubicic and Gaudio, and then win 2 sets in the final of the Master Cup.

Federer wasn't playing his best tennis, but he wasn't injured at all.

Injured was Nalbandian in RG, when he was kicking Federer Ass.

gulzhan
10-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Iron nerves? If he had, he would have won something except MM tournaments.

Sorry, Gustavo, I confused you with that guy (girl? naaa-- guy for sure!)-- Nalbandian!!!!! Not sure of the number of exclamation marks...

I won't watch this match again, thank you! Even if there were no mp, still, it was awfully confusing for the crowd, for the players, and, I think, for the umpire himself! And the sb was wrong on TV screen, don't know as the official sb but people say it did not work at all at that time... No wonder!

Mess, real mess....

GlennMirnyi
10-20-2006, 05:32 PM
decent return? :eek: and iron nerves.

If you think those are the only good things in Nalbandian's game, then I'm sorry for you.

For me, he is the most talented along with Federer and Safin.

Don't say that... Gaudio is far more talented than him. Nalbandian is a decent counterpuncher with a hell of a view of the court, resulting in a great return of serve, but as talented as Federer and Safin... that's too much.

Nalbandian!!!
10-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Federer wasn't injured, an injured palyer can't beat Nalbandian, Coria, Ljubicic and Gaudio, and then win 2 sets in the final of the Master Cup.

Injured was Nalbandian in RG, when he was kicking Federer Ass.

TRUE.:worship:

atheneglaukopis
10-20-2006, 05:33 PM

Injured was Nalbandian in RG, when he was kicking Federer Ass.Agreed, Fed wasn't injured. He was out of condition due to the injury that had kept him on crutches, but he wasn't injured.

GlennMirnyi
10-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Agreed, Fed wasn't injured. He was out of condition due to the injury that had kept him on crutches, but he wasn't injured.

Yes he was. He couldn't move in the last set.

Nalbandian!!!
10-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Yes he was. He couldn't move in the last set.

is David your platonic love?

are you in love with him?

you just cant stop posting your poison.

alfonsojose
10-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Maybe he did talk to dad on the phone. "I'm not asking u to be nice but damn it, try harder. When u are older, you won't regret it" :angel:

Hendu
10-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Martin, don't say that... Gaudio is far more talented than him. Nalbandian is a decent counterpuncher with a hell of a view of the court, resulting in a great return of serve, but as talented as Federer and Safin... that's too much.

Who is Martin? :confused:

Nalbandian has an awesome backhand, a good forehand, plays very well at the net, has great touch and has a huge (in court ;) ) tennis IQ.
Plus, he can play on every surface in a great level. Because he manages slice, topspin, and flatter shots very well. Also moves very well.
And now that Agassi is retired, he probably has the best returning skills in the ATP Tour.

If he only was more commited to tennis, and was mentally stronger.... but he isn't.

GlennMirnyi
10-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Who is Martin? :confused:

Nalbandian has an awesome backhand, a good forehand, plays very well at the net, has great touch and has a huge (in court ;) ) tennis IQ.
Plus, he can play on every surface in a great level. Because he manages slice, topspin, and flatter shots very well. Also moves very well.
And now that Agassi is retired, he probably has the best returning skills in the ATP Tour.

If he only was more commited to tennis, and was mentally stronger.... but he isn't.

I got your name wrong???? :o Awww... sorry. Tell your compatriot to behave, I'm closer to Buenos Aires than to Rio.

DrJules
10-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Nalbandian does have the unusual feature of 3 times winning from 2 sets to love down in the last year and has lost 2 matches from 2 sets to love up in the last year.:help: