Ultimate re-match - Berdych or Nadal? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ultimate re-match - Berdych or Nadal?

Naranoc
10-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Both are playing quality tennis at the moment, though Berdych has won both previous matches that took place on hard court (the last win being Toronto 2006 in 3 sets)

So, who'll take this one?

LilyRoseAva
10-19-2006, 08:53 PM
i hope Berdych :D but Nadal is at home :(

Berdych 2 -1

guga2120
10-19-2006, 08:55 PM
i really have no clue, i think Berdych can beat him, obviously, but i think Nadal will pull it out in 3 tough sets, i know he wants Federer in the final there.

GlennMirnyi
10-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Ultimate??? Why? The court is awful for Berdych.

rofe
10-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Tough call but if Birdman had been a little more consistent I would have no problem in saying that Birdman will win.

RonE
10-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Come on Tomas!!!!!!! :rocker2:

http://img2.menstennisforums.com/500/roasted_pig.gif

Fergie
10-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Tomas in 3! :rocker2:

Neverstopfightin
10-19-2006, 08:59 PM
If I were Berdych I would be worried after seeing the current Nadal that has nothing to do with the off-form player he faced at Toronto.

While watching Rafa's handshake in that match , being incredibly angry with himself you could suspect that from that moment he was expecting the revenge moment .

Rafa's motivation is the highest for tomorrow so I will say Rafa in two.

jenanun
10-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Rafa in two....

Naranoc
10-19-2006, 09:04 PM

Why so nit-picky about the words? It's to increase the revenue for this thread and make it sound more exciting...duh :p

cmurray
10-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Rafi in 2. Rafa is back in form - I think he takes Tomas this time. Plus Raf will have the considerable assistance of the crowd. Maybe next time, Tomas.

mongo
10-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Berdych is a tough guy for me to figure out, but I like this match-up. I've got Tomas.

Action Jackson
10-20-2006, 12:37 AM

As I told you the other day, the court won't be a problem. The thing is Berdych has to serve well and impose his game on Nadal as he has the 3x they played, if he doesn't do that, then it will be easy night for Rafa. The high ball to the backhand isn't going to bother him and the fact he isn't intimidated by him is another.

moon language
10-20-2006, 12:57 AM
I'm rooting for Nadal but I think Berdych is a tough test for him.

If Nadal returns well he should win, if not he's going to have a hard time I think.

I think Nadal has extra motivation to prove himself in this latter half of the year but that could also turn into extra pressure for him, so we'll see how he handles it.

ChinoRios4Ever
10-20-2006, 01:03 AM
get revenge RAFA!!!

NYCtennisfan
10-20-2006, 01:07 AM
One thing Berdych did EXTREMELY well in the summer was come to the net and volley. Being that aggressive didn't give him that many opportunities to msfire from the baseline since the rallies were shortened. It also didn't hurt that he was on fire from the baseline as well. If he can bring that same type of game, he'll win again.

Something tells me that isn't going to be the case this type though. I see Berdych with a low 1st serve % and a lot of mistakes.

Action Jackson
10-20-2006, 01:17 AM
One thing Berdych did EXTREMELY well in the summer was come to the net and volley. Being that aggressive didn't give him that many opportunities to msfire from the baseline since the rallies were shortened. It also didn't hurt that he was on fire from the baseline as well. If he can bring that same type of game, he'll win again.

Something tells me that isn't going to be the case this type though. I see Berdych with a low 1st serve % and a lot of mistakes.

Well he served at 62% 1st serves in that particular match and Toronto wasn't that quick of a court, so pretty much he has to have the serve going, so he can implement his plan.

It will be interesting to see how he handles all the crowd against him.

NYCtennisfan
10-20-2006, 01:23 AM
It will be interesting to see how he handles all the crowd against him.

Indeed. I hope he can bring his A game. Should be a fun battle.

sawan66278
10-20-2006, 01:34 AM
I was very impressed by Rafa's forehand today. It looks like he has his groove back...If he can get into the rallies, I think he should win in straight sets...If Rafa plays like he did today, he can win againt anyone...even Roger...

Regenbogen
10-20-2006, 02:02 AM
Hard to say...Nadal in 3, I think. He's playing better now than in Toronto, it should still be very close though

bad gambler
10-20-2006, 02:22 AM
Hopefully Nadal so we can see a Nadal v Federer final

Berdman probably the only major obstacle for that not to happen

Action Jackson
10-20-2006, 02:24 AM
Hopefully Nadal so we can see a Nadal v Federer final

Berdman probably the only major obstacle for that not to happen

Haven't you seen enough Federer and Nadal finals?

Johnny Groove
10-20-2006, 02:25 AM
Haven't you seen enough Federer and Nadal finals?

they havent played on a REAL surface yet :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
10-20-2006, 02:28 AM
they havent played on a REAL surface yet :rolleyes:

:p

simpletennis
10-20-2006, 02:28 AM
i totally want berdych, but nadal's going to have total support from the home crowd, should be interesting

Merton
10-20-2006, 02:34 AM
Tomas in 3. He served great yesterday against Roddick, I think it will be a close 3 set match. The unknown is how Tomas will react to the Madrid crowd.

Nadal has made progress indoors, his past record was not good apart from his Madrid victory last year, but he is playing well and it is obvious that this tournament means a lot to him.

Action Jackson
10-20-2006, 02:35 AM
Make the polls public in future, hehe.

TMJordan
10-20-2006, 02:44 AM
I still dont know how slow the damn surface is...can anybody help me out?

Birdman can definatly cause trouble if he is on....

lucashg
10-20-2006, 02:59 AM
Some people here. :unsure: :help: :tape:

I hope Berdych wins. Vamos Tomas! :)

Action Jackson
10-20-2006, 03:01 AM
I still dont know how slow the damn surface is...can anybody help me out?

Birdman can definatly cause trouble if he is on....

It's not that slow and all styles of play can do well, if they are good enough.

TMJordan
10-20-2006, 03:02 AM
It's not that slow and all styles of play can do well, if they are good enough.

Thank you.

IF Thomas doenst allow his head to mess him up with everyone chearing for Rafa he will win...its a huge IF and he most likley wont be able to overcome it.

robrulz5
10-20-2006, 03:03 AM
Rafa in 2.

Action Jackson
10-20-2006, 03:06 AM
Thank you.

IF Thomas doenst allow his head to mess him up with everyone chearing for Rafa he will win...its a huge IF and he most likley wont be able to overcome it.

Well it's slower than some, then again they are using a lighter ball. I mean Safin won over Nalbandian in 2004 and Nadal over Ljubo last year, so you can work it from there.

The thing that Berdman has in his favour, is that he isn't scared of Nadal, therefore one hurdle is already overcome, as I said earlier it depends on how well he can execute his game.

TMJordan
10-20-2006, 03:10 AM
Well it's slower than some, then again they are using a lighter ball. I mean Safin won over Nalbandian in 2004 and Nadal over Ljubo last year, so you can work it from there.

The thing that Berdman has in his favour, is that he isn't scared of Nadal, therefore one hurdle is already overcome, as I said earlier it depends on how well he can execute his game.

Yeah hes definatly not scared of him that forsure, I was sitting about 5 rows up for their match in the summer and Thomas was all over him, those courts very much better for the liking of Thomas though, but he can definatly beat him, should be good. Only thing I beleive may be the piece that brings the win to Rafa is that he apears to be really motivated in Spain and will want to show he can be Roger in the finals on Sunday.

Should be a good close match.

Action Jackson
10-20-2006, 03:14 AM
Yeah hes definatly not scared of him that forsure, I was sitting about 5 rows up for their match in the summer and Thomas was all over him, those courts very much better for the liking of Thomas though, but he can definatly beat him, should be good. Only thing I beleive may be the piece that brings the win to Rafa is that he apears to be really motivated in Spain and will want to show he can be Roger in the finals on Sunday.

Should be a good close match.

Toronto wasn't that fast as hardcourt surfaces go, but Tomas should have won the Båstad final, but his brain left him at the wrong moment and from the man himself.

Q. Will without giving away secrets, what is the best way to approach the Nadal match?

TOMAS BERDYCH: I think if Rafael is going to win tonight and we are going to play each other in the next match, I think more important from my side is going to be if I can keep the same level of today's match. And if I'm going to be serving as good as I served today, then I think I have a really good chance to beat Rafael, because we already played three matches. I won two on the hard court, lost once on clay. So I think maybe here the conditions can be maybe better for me. But he's at home.

TMJordan
10-20-2006, 03:20 AM
Toronto wasn't that fast as hardcourt surfaces go, but Tomas should have won the Båstad final, but his brain left him at the wrong moment and from the man himself.

Q. Will without giving away secrets, what is the best way to approach the Nadal match?

TOMAS BERDYCH: I think if Rafael is going to win tonight and we are going to play each other in the next match, I think more important from my side is going to be if I can keep the same level of today's match. And if I'm going to be serving as good as I served today, then I think I have a really good chance to beat Rafael, because we already played three matches. I won two on the hard court, lost once on clay. So I think maybe here the conditions can be maybe better for me. But he's at home.

Thanks for that, yeah should be a good match, I am hoping Thomas can win this match.

I tell you what oddmakers definatly think Thomas can win, I remember he was 7 times your money in Toronto and now he is only 3.5 and these conditions are better for Nadal compared to Toronto as well with him playing at home.

Thomas definatly has a good chance to win this.

Action Jackson
10-20-2006, 03:22 AM
Thanks for that, yeah should be a good match, I am hoping Thomas can win this match.

I tell you what oddmakers definatly think Thomas can win, I remember he was 7 times your money in Toronto and now he is only 3.5 and these conditions are better for Nadal compared to Toronto as well with him playing at home.

Thomas definatly has a good chance to win this.

It's funny I was more confident about Berd winning in Toronto than I am in Madrid, but he pretty much said it all and what he needs to end up happening for him to win.

TMJordan
10-20-2006, 03:25 AM
It's funny I was more confident about Berd winning in Toronto than I am in Madrid, but he pretty much said it all and what he needs to end up happening for him to win.

Well this definatly should be a good match, anyways I have to go watch somthing thanks for that interview :wavey:

Mimi
10-20-2006, 03:27 AM
just curious, how could you people know if the surface is slow or quick :confused:

zaboomafoo
10-20-2006, 03:32 AM
nadal in straights, he is back on track and with all the crowd support

its.like.that
10-20-2006, 06:01 AM
These two players meet for the 4th time, with Berdych leading 2-1 head to head.

2006 ATP Masters Series Canada
Toronto, Canada Hard R16 Berdych 6-1 3-6 6-2

2005 ATP Masters Series Cincinnati
Ohio, USA Hard R64 Berdych 6-7(4) 6-2 7-6(3)

2005 Bastad
Sweden Clay F Nadal 2-6 6-2 6-4

Nadal has never lost to Berdych on European soil, and this will surely make a difference.

Scotso
10-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Tomas will beat him in 3. Too much firepower on fast surfaces.

its.like.that
10-20-2006, 06:06 AM
It will take the very best from Tomas to win this.

Nadal won't go away and will have all the crowd support.

rue
10-20-2006, 06:09 AM
Nadal is gonna fight real hard and win. He's got the crowd support going for him.

Xristos
10-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Nadal. 4 and 6.

wenty
10-20-2006, 06:20 AM
I think Nadal should win this, mainly, as the others said, because he has a home crowd advantage

Blue Heart24
10-20-2006, 06:26 AM
Berdych in 2

Exodus
10-20-2006, 06:47 AM
i hope that berdych will blast nadal to pieces

Argenbrit
10-20-2006, 07:18 AM
Tomas in 3.

Adler
10-20-2006, 07:23 AM
Nadal in 2. Berdych played great against Roddick, but he hasn't got the word "consistency" in his dictionary

Neverstopfightin
10-20-2006, 07:30 AM
just curious, how could you people know if the surface is slow or quick :confused:

If Nadal has won previously there then it's the slowest surface on ATP .

yomike
10-20-2006, 07:46 AM
Tomas in two;

Deivid23
10-20-2006, 09:43 AM
This is a dangerous match for Rafa, but not as dangerous to make him an underdog here as the poll reflects. Nadal will win today imo.

landoud
10-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Berdych 2 -1

adee-gee
10-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Berdych in 2, may as well end Rafa's career at the same time.

oz_boz
10-20-2006, 10:00 AM
This is a dangerous match for Rafa, but not as dangerous to make him an underdog here as the poll reflects. Nadal will win today imo.

Amen. Rafa in two tight ones - possibly even easier if Berman folds under home crowd pressure.

BlueSwan
10-20-2006, 12:29 PM
I voted "no clue", but having thought a little more about it, I'm gonna have to pick Nadal. He's on home soil and even more importantly: his tennis is picking up again. Also, he's finally been handed a pretty tough draw. If he wins Madrid he'd prove the critics wrong. I'm sure he'd love to do that.

Frooty_Bazooty
10-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Hmm i dont think the crowd will make such a difference. Look at all the other spaniards in the draw. Only robredo didnt lose his 1st round match

supersexynadal
10-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Yea well the otehr spaniards didnt do anythng to get the home crowd going and it was the first round so not many people were there. People will go just to watch nadal today so it will be a small advantage. hes servingat about 63% which isnt hs bes but its been very effective. He also looks much more confident than previous tournaments.

supersexynadal
10-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Actually what the hell am i saying?? i dont know and no onw knows! Y am i loking at statistics? Im against that stuff coz it always changes

RogiFan88
10-20-2006, 03:13 PM
the home crowd cheers for winners, not losers...

Monteque
10-20-2006, 03:41 PM
I want Berdych win, but it will be very tough match because it's Nadal's den. I saw his match against Haas, Nadal extremely strong and confident. So Berdych needs more than what he did in Toronto to top Nadal.

oz_boz
10-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Hmm i dont think the crowd will make such a difference. Look at all the other spaniards in the draw. Only robredo didnt lose his 1st round match

Depends on th eplayer too; I think Nadal gets a really good boost from a positive crowd - and that he can be intimidated by a negative crowd as well.

TFan1156
10-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Berdych is a terrible matchup for Rafa. His only hope is for Tomas to choke, he may or may not...

angela
10-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Tomas win in 3.

DrJules
10-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Nadal in 2.

He has home advantage which will favour him unlike the other Spaniards and should have fewer balls flying at altitude because he hits with more topspin. The lighter conditions should give his groundstrokes greater depth.

ReturnWinner
10-20-2006, 07:01 PM
nadal

Action Jackson
10-21-2006, 05:48 AM
I think Berdych didn't have too much problems with the crowd.