Spanish players and home advantage? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Spanish players and home advantage?

DrJules
10-18-2006, 06:24 PM
So far this master series 8 Spaniards (Robredo, Ferrer, Ferrero, Verdasco, Moya, Lopez, Fraile and Navarro Paster) have played in their home master series and 7 have lost their first matches including 2 seeded players and another player who had direct entry. So far only Robredo has won and the only other Spanish player left is Nadal.

Playing at home and with the home crowd seems to have provided little benefit to the Spanish players.

Can anyone explain? Britain with Murray and Henman now have the same number of players left in the draw as Spain.

ezekiel
10-18-2006, 07:08 PM
I guess it's no clay and lots of them are slumping, JCF, Verdasco, Ferrer, Moya etc...

Alvarillo
10-18-2006, 11:11 PM
So far this master series 8 Spaniards (Robredo, Ferrer, Ferrero, Verdasco, Moya, Lopez, Fraile and Navarro Paster) have played in their home master series and 7 have lost their first matches including 2 seeded players and another player who had direct entry. So far only Robredo has won and the only other Spanish player left is Nadal.

Playing at home and with the home crowd seems to have provided little benefit to the Spanish players.

Can anyone explain? Britain with Murray and Henman now have the same number of players left in the draw as Spain.

and if you put Murray and Henman on clay in the UK and the lose sure in the 1st round so ...
please ... othere years is better, this year the draw wasn't easy and of course Moyá and JCF are in big slumps with a top player in these courts like Henman defeated other 2

revolution
10-18-2006, 11:17 PM
No real excuses- Nando's best surface is hard, Ferrero is pretty average on clay now, Robredo CAN play on hard, Moya has had HC success, Ferrer has won the odd round here and there and LaLo loves indoors and altitude. It's not like any of them are clay specific.

DrJules
10-19-2006, 12:11 PM

Update

9 Spaniards played:

7 lost their first match.
1 lost his 2nd match.
1 left - Nadal.

Jimnik
10-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Spain really should have their Masters Series event on clay, preferably back in April or May.

Change Germany's TMS to a fast court, preferably grass. :devil:

superhoops
10-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Spain really should have their Masters Series event on clay, preferably back in April or May.

Change Germany's TMS to a fast court, preferably grass. :devil:

I like the sound of that!

Yappa
10-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Same here, and I'd love it if Hamburg and Madrid changed their sports in the calendar, but then you'd need to install heaters in the Hamburg stadium. I dont know how much work they'd need to do to turn it into an Indoor stadium.

DrJules
10-20-2006, 08:38 PM
And then there were none.

9 out of the 48 players who started the tournament were Spanish including 3 of the 16 seeds and none have reached the last 4. The vociferous crowd do not seem to have enhanced the performance of the locals.

ChinoRios4Ever
10-20-2006, 08:54 PM
NO CLAY
NO SPAIN

oz_boz
10-20-2006, 09:01 PM
NO CLAY
NO SPAIN

Madrid 2003 or 2005 anyone?

I'm happy for Tomas but it's a sad thing for the home crowd. Maybe expectations were too high for the players, with Nadal defending, Ferrero previous champ and gaining form, Robredo in top 10 :unsure: and a couple of others capable of a few upsets like Moya and Verdasco.

BTW DrJules, Spain and Britain still have the same number of players left ;)

DrJules
10-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Bump.

I note that no Spanish player has reached the semi-finals of the Madrid Masters for the second year in a row despite 3 players in top 10.

Tommy fan
10-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Maybe they just don't know to take advantage of it..
I mean, in davis cup, when it's in Israel, the plyers use it, they try to do their best because and for the crowd.. maybe the spanish players don't think that way..(Although Lopez played very well yesterday, but unluckily, it was Federer on the other side of the net..)

Sunset of Age
10-20-2007, 12:01 PM
It's not always an advantage to play for your home crowd - those very high expectations and/or overhyping don't always work well (to say the least). Think of Amélie Mauresmo playing Roland Garros, for instance...

Besides that, the Spanish players didn't at all do that bad - Feli and Rafa both reached QFs, but had the bad luck to bump into (1) Fed, and (2) a on-fire Nalby. Considering the forms of the rest of the Spanish players, I'd say they did as good/bad as could be expected.