keep it up blake...

nobama
10-18-2006, 02:03 PM
Blake :tape: :o

KaxMisha
Blake served for the match :lol: also had another break in the 3rd

keep it up blake...

It is tempting to say that Blake choked yet again, but I'd like to actually see the match first. Vliegen, when on top of his game (granted, he rarely is, but still), is an exceptional player.

adee-gee
Blake did nothing wrong when he served for the match, but I guess you didn't watch it.

Tremendous display by Vliegen, especially that game to break for 6-6 in the 3rd, and then an excellent tie break.

Klaas_nalbandian
10-18-2006, 02:04 PM
respect for kristof

Norrage
10-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Really great play by Vliegen :D

Metis
10-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Vliegen was pretty good!!! He deserved to win. I can see now why he beat Tursunov so convincingly. One of the points at the end of the 2nd set was truly amazing!

adee-gee
10-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Vliegen was pretty good!!! He deserved to win. I can see now why he beat Tursunov so badly. One of the points at the end of the 2nd set was truly amazing!
:lol: it was amazing, point of the week so far. Both players hitting trick shots.

tripb19
10-18-2006, 02:07 PM
As Blake couldn't actually lose in 5 sets because of the format of the tournament, he had to lose this way, which is as close as he could get.

Bj÷rki
10-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Kristof :yeah:

Blue Heart24
10-18-2006, 02:09 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Andre♥
10-18-2006, 02:12 PM
For the first time in my life, I fell asleep during a tennis match.

Both Vliegen and Blake can play WAY better than this, especially Vliegen. It was the first time that I wasn't impressed with Vliegen. This guy can play tennis, but if his opponent was a good one, he would have been trashed.

About Blake, same old shit. Wins MM tournaments, loses the important wants. He will never win a Masters, let alone a Grand Slam.

Actually, I prefer to see Robredo over Blake in Shanghai. At least the spanish is boring, but he doesn't choke.

hitchhiker
10-18-2006, 02:12 PM
Blake didnt choke, he tanked. He wants to peak for the Mickey Mouse events.

Exodus
10-18-2006, 02:14 PM
too bad bennetau didn't beat nalby yesterday and lets hope that safin will beat marcos

Norrage
10-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Blake didnt choke, he tanked. He wants to peak for the Mickey Mouse events.

:worship: :devil:

ljubicic_
10-18-2006, 02:20 PM
too bad that Blake was so good in Bangkok final but now not

Hagar
10-18-2006, 02:32 PM
WOOHOO!!! Kristof is on a roll! Keep flying, Kristof!

gogogirl
10-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Hey All,

I saw the first two sets. James should have held his first service game for sure. Kristof's serve was great in the first and it faltered in the second. Blake started reading it better. I didn't see the third - but if Blake served for the match and got broken - then one can speculate that he didn't bear down enough, wasn't concentrating enough and/or he just tightened up. Although - from the reports here - Vliegen must have put some pressure on Jame's second serves - which I bet there were. I said if his 1st serve percentage wasn't on - then there was a chance he would lose serve more often than not. Neither player played that great. The serve was king for the most part in the first and in the second - there were 3 service breaks.

I don't think James choked. I rather think that he didn't serve well when it mattered. I don't think he played this event last year - so he had no points to defend. He also might have been a little mentally tired.

I wasn't too impressed with Vliegen. He is a mediocre returner and is not the greatest mover - but he deserves to win - because he outplayed James - so in the end - that is all that matters. He has a very good serve - but like someone mentioned - against a better player than James was today - he would have had done to him what he did to Tursy. But again - props to him for a good win.

James shouldn't feel bad. 'Ya win some and 'ya lose some. He should feel very, very proud - because he has five titles more than 80% of the players on the ATP TOUR.

And when some say he sucks in Masters Series play - pray tell what is the difference? That would mean that every player that lost in the first round sucks at Master Series play, and the ones that will lose in the second. Why can't all losses go down to the fact that a better player on the day won - and no matter the name of the tourney? Period! He got to the final at IW - and ran into Federer in Miami - and just like the US Open. He has gotten further than most this year.

"HANG IN THERE - JAMES" "YOU CAN STILL QUALIFY FOR SHANGHAI"

Hokit
10-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Blake shouldn't be too worried about his chances getting to Shanghai if the only competition he's facing are clayfeet Robredo and a slumping Nalbandian :smash:

tennisgal_001
10-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Dammit Blake :mad:
I didn't watch the match so I'm not WHAT happened exactly, but when you blow it TWICE in a decider, something's gotta give...

Regenbogen
10-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Blake did nothing wrong when he served for the match, but I guess you didn't watch it.

Tremendous display by Vliegen, especially that game to break for 6-6 in the 3rd, and then an excellent tie break.

yeah Vliegen was really good :D

yay Kristof :woohoo:

cherry@cupcake
10-18-2006, 03:14 PM
Never seen Vliegen play before.

Impressed.

nobama
10-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Amazing how some here are impressed with Vliegen and others think he can play way better than this. :lol: Are you sure you all watched the same match? I didn't see it so I can't say.

safinalium
10-18-2006, 03:27 PM
poor blake. probably he's too tired because of last week. :confused:

arn
10-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Well done Kristof. I don't care if his play sucked or if he was on a high, I'm just glad he won :D

2 matches against Blake and 2 victories :yeah:

lordmanji
10-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Hey All,

I saw the first two sets. James should have held his first service game for sure. Kristof's serve was great in the first and it faltered in the second. Blake started reading it better. I didn't see the third - but if Blake served for the match and got broken - then one can speculate that he didn't bear down enough, wasn't concentrating enough and/or he just tightened up. Although - from the reports here - Vliegen must have put some pressure on Jame's second serves - which I bet there were. I said if his 1st serve percentage wasn't on - then there was a chance he would lose serve more often than not. Neither player played that great. The serve was king for the most part in the first and in the second - there were 3 service breaks.

I don't think James choked. I rather think that he didn't serve well when it mattered. I don't think he played this event last year - so he had no points to defend. He also might have been a little mentally tired.

I wasn't too impressed with Vliegen. He is a mediocre returner and is not the greatest mover - but he deserves to win - because he outplayed James - so in the end - that is all that matters. He has a very good serve - but like someone mentioned - against a better player than James was today - he would have had done to him what he did to Tursy. But again - props to him for a good win.

James shouldn't feel bad. 'Ya win some and 'ya lose some. He should feel very, very proud - because he has five titles more than 80% of the players on the ATP TOUR.

And when some say he sucks in Masters Series play - pray tell what is the difference? That would mean that every player that lost in the first round sucks at Master Series play, and the ones that will lose in the second. Why can't all losses go down to the fact that a better player on the day won - and no matter the name of the tourney? Period! He got to the final at IW - and ran into Federer in Miami - and just like the US Open. He has gotten further than most this year.

"HANG IN THERE - JAMES" "YOU CAN STILL QUALIFY FOR SHANGHAI"

the mentality of "you win some you lose some" is something blake has exhibited too often. not just in the vliegen game, but i think most of the mtf members have seen blake up a break, set, match or setup point, or hold serve, and he loses it for whatever reason. could be cuz he tightens up, his opponent raises his game but the point is that blake does not shut the door when it counts.

i saw this happen w/ his qf v federer at the uso easily the best match other than the agassi matches of the 06uso. if only for the reason that blake let it be extended. i think in the first tiebreak he had a setup and a setpoint. another crucial game he was at 0-40 on feds serve and doesnt break. in that return game he totally gave away which direction he was going (left) and was aced. also off another return where he usually blocked it back dumped it into the net.

cherry@cupcake
10-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Amazing how some here are impressed with Vliegen and others think he can play way better than this. :lol: Are you sure you all watched the same match? I didn't see it so I can't say.

I haven't seen him before, so I don't know if he was playing well or badly by his previous standards. However, I was impressed by the mental aspect of his game, especially when he was broken by Blake (in the third set?) and then broke back to love in the very next game.

I'm so used to supporting headcases that I forget that some players actually can keep their cool! :D

Naranoc
10-18-2006, 04:05 PM
:smash:

I said it before; the early exit from a tournament was just around the corner. Blake + Consistency = :spit:

*Viva Chile*
10-18-2006, 04:33 PM
James :o :smash:

KaxMisha
10-18-2006, 04:35 PM
the mentality of "you win some you lose some" is something blake has exhibited too often. not just in the vliegen game, but i think most of the mtf members have seen blake up a break, set, match or setup point, or hold serve, and he loses it for whatever reason. could be cuz he tightens up, his opponent raises his game but the point is that blake does not shut the door when it counts.

i saw this happen w/ his qf v federer at the uso easily the best match other than the agassi matches of the 06uso. if only for the reason that blake let it be extended. i think in the first tiebreak he had a setup and a setpoint. another crucial game he was at 0-40 on feds serve and doesnt break. in that return game he totally gave away which direction he was going (left) and was aced. also off another return where he usually blocked it back dumped it into the net.

To be fair though, Federer blew his fair share of chances in that match too.

tennismaster882001
10-18-2006, 04:36 PM
I can't believe Blake lost!:( This will be strange tournament!

henree
10-18-2006, 04:38 PM
So Ancic & Blake are out of the TMC, what has to happen for Bagdatis to make it?

gogogirl
10-18-2006, 05:05 PM

No my thing is - the man just won the previous two tournaments he entered. He must have been mentally tough enough to win each and every match he played/won. These days - the tour is deeper than ever - although - I'm sure some here don't agree. He had plenty of opportunities to have choked during his last two tourneys - but - he won. Point blank!

Not every player can win them all - so what does that leave? 'Ya win some and 'ya lose some. Unless of course Blake is held to a different standard. His record now is 55 and 22. Not bad. He and Nadal w/5 titles. Not bad. He is the second or third player behind Fed for hard court wins. Not bad. He didn't play well during the clay and grass court series. That is where most of his losses occured. So all in all - he has a nice 2006 record - and again - it is better than most of the players on the tour.

Btw - what is Nadal's win/loss record? And no - I am not talking about the fact that he has won a slam and James hasn't. I mean - his over all win/loss record? Even Fed has lost some this year. And he has been heralded as the TOP choker when playing Nadal. LOL!

I love you all here - because some of y'all pick on every player - at times. This is what I call an Equal Opportunity forum. LOL!:)

GlennMirnyi
10-18-2006, 05:16 PM
So Ancic & Blake are out of the TMC, what has to happen for Bagdatis to make it?

A miracle.

Breakdown
10-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Blaky!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :devil:
How on Earth could you lose that match?>???%$&$$#^$#@^#@%@#?????

If Davydenko loses tonight, it'll make me not-so-sad to some extent;
Now, Jamse, take some rest and do some damage in Lyon!:)

new-york
10-18-2006, 07:23 PM
:sobbing:

bleh. i guess, the two last events were too much.

congrats to Vliegen.

Jlee
10-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Booo...:(

Well it's good Ancic and Ljubicic lost today too...

musefanatic
10-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Oh my god James! :eek: :eek: What happened?

Well done Vliegen though :)

neenah
10-18-2006, 09:02 PM
Blake!! Wow. And nice win Vliegen! :)

Kalliopeia
10-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Btw - what is Nadal's win/loss record? And no - I am not talking about the fact that he has won a slam and James hasn't. I mean - his over all win/loss record?

Nadals match record this year is 56-9.

The difference, by the way, between Masters and Slams and other tournaments is that they are bigger, worth more points, worth more prize money. The pressure is higher. They are required so the competition is always tougher. Some players can deal with the pressure, some seem to thrive on it. James doesn't seem to be able to handle it very well most of the time.

bad gambler
10-19-2006, 04:30 AM
Pull your head in Blake, had the form leading into this tournament as well :(

mrserenawilliams
10-19-2006, 05:43 AM

THANK YOU!

JuanRodriguez
10-19-2006, 06:21 AM
:lol: it was amazing, point of the week so far. Both players hitting trick shots.

You can find the point right here: http://www.tennis-masters-madrid.com/eng/index.htm

of course it is 'the play of the day'. It's funny to see both players enjoy this point. :)