4 combined ATP/WTA events planned [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

4 combined ATP/WTA events planned

nobama
10-17-2006, 08:27 PM
http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/2006madrid/101606PC.html
Q. Tell me basically if I'm wrong. The ATP has two combined events in Europe or just one?

ETIENNE DE VILLIERS: Just one. We plan to have four combined events in total. The two that exist in North America, one in the U.S., in fact. We wish to see one go into the period just leading into the French Open, two weeks before the French Open. We think that's a great time. It's supported positively by the French Tennis Federation. And then there's one that we would like ideally to have in China, in Shanghai or in Beijing. It's a market that clearly just by the sheer physical size, population, it's a great market. But it's also a market that's shown great appetite for the sport.

And we feel that the Masters Cup has been a great way to introduce a professional sport at the very top level to the market. We are thrilled and delighted with how the Masters Cup has been run by our partners in China and Shanghai, but we feel that they can step up to the next level and have a combined event, which will be a bigger showcase, and at the same time be able to bring the Masters Cup back to Europe, which we feel is very important. Does this mean that IW will no longer be a combined event or a TMS event even? I'm assuming the two in North America he's referring to are Miami and Toronto/Montreal. :shrug:

gusman890
10-17-2006, 09:48 PM
New haven is the other one i believe

Havok
10-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Toronto/Montreal is a "combined" event, but not a standar combined one, and it will never be. Tennis is WAY too huge in Canada to demolish one or the other and put both venues there. The 2 comined ones in NA are IW and Miami, I doubt either one will drop either the men or women from their field.

nobama
10-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Toronto/Montreal is a "combined" event, but not a standar combined one, and it will never be. Tennis is WAY too huge in Canada to demolish one or the other and put both venues there. The 2 comined ones in NA are IW and Miami, I doubt either one will drop either the men or women from their field.Well he said "one is in the U.S.", so I assumed he meant the other was not. But maybe he misspoke. I hope IW stays as it is (since I get to go there every year :lol: ). Great venue and usually good crowds. Though this year was pretty crap weather.

Melvins
10-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Only 4 mini Grand Slams? I did think in 5!

So, with this, almost sure:

March - Hard - Miami (?)
May - Clay - Madrid (?)
August - Hard - Canada (?)
October - Indoor - Shangai/Beijing (?)

It's this!

I think that the indoor mini Grand Slam should be in Europe...:rolleyes:

Merton
10-18-2006, 12:51 AM
I know this may sound provocative, but is anybody aware of any evidence thay combining ATP/WTA events is beneficial to the ATP? I am not taking a position one way or another, but it seems to me there are greater priorities for the ATP than bundling events with the WTA.

Action Jackson
10-18-2006, 12:53 AM
I know this may sound provocative, but is anybody aware of any evidence thay combining ATP/WTA events is beneficial to the ATP? I am not taking a position one way or another, but it seems to me there are greater priorities for the ATP than bundling events with the WTA.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$ from combined rights.

But we all know Mr Disney likes to make the hard decisions.

artlinkletter
10-18-2006, 12:55 AM
It's understandable. Women's tennis is more popular (which is something I have yet to understand) so I guess it is more beneficial for the ATP to have joint tournaments than for the WTA. But by the same token, the WTA is not going to be losing anything from this.

alfonsojose
10-18-2006, 12:55 AM
George, it's money for promoting tennis and helping kids :angel:

Action Jackson
10-18-2006, 12:56 AM
George, it's money for promoting tennis and helping kids :angel:

Yes and you are a heterosexual.

alfonsojose
10-18-2006, 12:56 AM
It's understandable. Women's tennis is more popular (which is something I have yet to understand) so I guess it is more beneficial for the ATP to have joint tournaments than for the WTA. But by the same token, the WTA is not going to be losing anything from this.
:scratch: where do u live?

Action Jackson
10-18-2006, 12:57 AM

Women's tennis isn't more popular globally, and this has been done so many times. It's not that hard to work out, combined resources mean more cash, though the ATP is subsidising the WTA.

alfonsojose
10-18-2006, 12:58 AM
Yes and you are a heterosexual.
:lol:

artlinkletter
10-18-2006, 01:01 AM
Women's tennis isn't more popular globally, and this has been done so many times. It's not that hard to work out, combined resources mean more cash, though the ATP is subsidising the WTA.

I think with the ATP having more joint tournaments with the WTA, women's tennis watchers will be become more interested in men's tennis, which also touches on your point. It's all about money.

Merton
10-18-2006, 01:02 AM

This is not obvious at all, just look at the prize money for events that are not combined right now, for example Rome, Hamburg, Montreal/Toronto.

Action Jackson
10-18-2006, 01:04 AM
I think with the ATP having more joint tournaments with the WTA, women's tennis watchers will be become more interested in men's tennis, which also touches on your point. It's all about money.

It's all about the money and nothing more and to tell you the truth there are more than enough people who like both forms and there are others like myself who can't stand the WTA and others who hate the ATP and having more of these events is just as likely to cement these views as bring in new fans.

Merton
10-18-2006, 01:05 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$ from combined rights.

But we all know Mr Disney likes to make the hard decisions.

I can see that, but the benefit will go entirely to the organizers of the combined effects, and some of it may end up in increased prizes for the players. But since when the ATP has as its priority to advance the interests of the organizers?

Action Jackson
10-18-2006, 01:08 AM
I can see that, but the benefit will go entirely to the organizers of the combined effects, and some of it may end up in increased prizes for the players. But since when the ATP has as its priority to advance the interests of the organizers?

It has always been about the Tournament Directors though not in name. I will paste an old excerpt from a Medvedev interview for you.

This was done around 2000 and it's still true.

Why are the other guys on the tour afraid to speak up and give their opinions?

My opinion is that some of them donít care. If you ask Sampras, heíd say, everything is fine. Iím making my money with the ATP Tour, and Iím happy about that. I was once a representative of the Top 10 players. And when you try to get these guys to work for something, nine out of 10 guys would say, I donít care. Everything is fine. If you explain that this way is better, they reply, we understand, but we donít care. That was at the time of Becker, Edberg, Sampras.

Are there any players who care?

Yeah, I would say Rafter cares. I think Agassi actually cares although he doesnít always show it. He would be willing to step up and do a little revolution and be behind the players and not behind the ATP Tour.

On March 10, 1999 former world No. 1 Thomas Muster told the German newspaper Die Welt: I look at the ATP not so much as a representative of players but as a firm that in marketing even works against the players. I donít like the way tennis is dominated by Americans. The problem is that tennis is governed by the Americans and financed by the Europeans. [ATP Tour CEO] Mark Miles must go, changes must come quickly, and the future of our sport is at stake.

Do you agree with Muster?

I agree with 90 percent of what Muster was saying because in the past the ATP has acted against [the best interests of] the players, and in favour of the tournaments. Thatís a fact. Give me an example of that.

There are plenty of examples, believe me. In Estoril this year, I was to play a semi-final match scheduled not before 2:30, following the women at noon. It rained the whole day until 2:45. Nobody notified me or told me anything. Then rain stopped and 10 minutes later the tour manager tells me, youíre on the court in 10 minutes. I said, Listen, the women have to play first. He says, No, no, we got the TV. You got to go first. So I had no warm-up, no warning. When it was raining, they should have at least said, you guys should warm up, indoors or something, because you might play as soon as the rain stops.

We went on the court cold, and we had to play in a drizzle, and the court became slippery. We talked to the chair umpire, and he said he had orders that we had to continue because we had TV. Now, what if the players got injured? What, instead, if we had striked and refused to go on the court? The ATP doesnít care if somebody breaks his leg. All they care about is the tournament and the TV gets what they want.

The ATP should be defending us because itís an association of tennis professionals, not tournaments. They donít consistently do this. Theyíre becoming better. But when Muster spoke out, it was definitely way in favour of the tournaments.

Merton
10-18-2006, 01:54 AM
If you didn't tell it is 2000 and substituted Sampras and Rafter for current players, it could sound like today. The issue of the balance between the players and the tournament organizers is quite difficult, so in some way it is understandable that Mr. Disney will have other priorities, like making more combined effects and introducing the RR format.

Action Jackson
10-18-2006, 03:53 AM
The only thing that has changed are the names.

*Viva Chile*
10-18-2006, 04:46 AM

:confused:

Action Jackson
10-19-2006, 05:49 AM
:confused:

North America is the world:)