Roger on Wilnder's RG comments. When did he say this? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger on Wilnder's RG comments. When did he say this?

Fed-Express
10-17-2006, 09:29 AM
I am sorry if this has been already posted, I just found this quote on tennis-x.

"Look. There's many former players, many experts, who think they know everything. Sometimes they're right, but they can also be wrong. You can't always listen to them, especially as a player. From a former top player -- almost a legend of the game -- to hear stuff like this is obviously very disappointing. I thought I got along well with him; I probably still am, because he never told these things to my face. Next time I see him, maybe I'll say something. Or maybe he's not a man to be around for me. Because if you say stuff like this? There's professional and there's friendship, but if you cross the line too many times eventually you're going to lose your friends. That's maybe what he's doing."
-- Roger Federer on Mats Wilanders' comments that he had "no balls" when playing against Rafael Nadal.

When did Roger say that and does anybody know what Mats responded? Roger sounds pretty insulted, I wonder why he is so touchy.

MisterQ
10-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Mats said Roger had no balls, and Roger got a little teste. ;)

Action Jackson
10-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Old news.

Fed-Express
10-17-2006, 10:27 AM
I know it is old. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they still get along or if Wilander apologized (which would be ridiculous).

CooCooCachoo
10-17-2006, 10:29 AM

:devil:

Action Jackson
10-17-2006, 10:49 AM
I know it is old. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they still get along or if Wilander apologized (which would be ridiculous).

Why would Wilander apologise? I mean there are enough clowns around who were pissed off with his comments and what most people forget is, he said that about himself and others who shat themselves in finals.

CmonAussie
10-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Why would Wilander apologise? I mean there are enough clowns around who were pissed off with his comments and what most people forget is, he said that about himself and others who shat themselves in finals.
:wavey:
Yeah Wilander was good at taking the piss out of himself~~ maybe Federer should lighten up & cop it sweet on the chin chin [=balls in Japanese):p ...
However I believe Roger is already hypersensitive because he knows everyone is always taking cheap shots at the state of his girlfriend:eek:

Fed-Express
10-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Hey, I totaly agree with Mats and I think he was completely right saying that.
But Roger sounds so serious, as if he considers not being friends with Mats anymore. That is why I thought he may have apologized, regardless of whether there was a real reason.

Sunset of Age
10-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Roger is HUMAN. And disappointed that someone who he perhaps considered to be a friend said such cheap things about him.

Loremaster
10-17-2006, 02:36 PM
But Mats said truth so I don't understand Roger's reaction. I think that whole Nadal subject is touchy to him, I've read many very pasionate and stupid Roger's replies to question about Rafa, the most ridicoulus was one after Rome that he didn't care that he lost because it doesnn't matters for him. Rafa is more diplomatic than Roger.

alfonsojose
10-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Time to learn, JesusFed. Most ex-tennis players can't move on. Watch out our you'll be doing moronic comments like this in a few years

supersexynadal
10-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Wilander could have said in mature way at least. Federer could have said nadal has no game plan in stead of saying he has a one dimensional game.

Rosa Luxembourg
10-17-2006, 03:16 PM
And how exactly a young man should react when he is said not to have balls? :rolleyes:

Roger's reaction is genuine IMO and appropriate.

Castafiore
10-17-2006, 03:32 PM
I really wonder how many people have seen this quote in the FULL context

Sunset of Age
10-17-2006, 03:38 PM
And how exactly a young man should react when he is said not to have balls? :rolleyes:

Roger's reaction is genuine IMO and appropriate.

Yep. I'm sure he was disappointed, too.
Everyone seems to forget he's human.

Rafa = Fed Killa
10-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Roger can throw out insults easily,

but he is too much of a princess to take them.

r2473
10-17-2006, 06:38 PM
Yep. I'm sure he was disappointed, too.
Everyone seems to forget he's human.

Federer is not human.

KaxMisha
10-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Federer could have said nadal has no game plan in stead of saying he has a one dimensional game.

No, he couldn't. That wouldn't be true. Nadal has a game plan. A very clear game plan. He also has a one-dimensional game. I don't see why people think this one-dimensional game stuff was an insult. It doesn't mean Nadal isn't an excellent player - only that he basically cannot win points in other ways than chasing everything down, putting huge amounts of topspin on it and hoping it will be too much for his opponent to handle. If his opponent does handle this and hits more winners than errors, Nadal will lose.

magnoliaewan
10-17-2006, 08:40 PM

:haha: That was hilarious!

Well for the guys, see how you'd react if someone who you thought was your friend said you didn't have any balls. That comment was really harsh.

World Beater
10-17-2006, 08:43 PM
i actually think fed gave a good response :confused:

he accepted the fact that mats was giving criticism from the commentary box, but that he didnt like it. no big deal.

Castafiore
10-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Well for the guys, see how you'd react if someone who you thought was your friend said you didn't have any balls. That comment was really harsh.
I'm not a guy but just a question: doesn't the fact that Mats said that he had no balls either in certain tournaments (like the latter stages of Wimbledon) change the tone of the comment?

thrust
10-17-2006, 09:27 PM
I was rather surprised Mats would say such a thing. It really was not an appropriate statement for someone of his stature. I thought Roger^s reply was understandable and sincere.

rofe
10-17-2006, 09:34 PM
No, he couldn't. That wouldn't be true. Nadal has a game plan. A very clear game plan. He also has a one-dimensional game. I don't see why people think this one-dimensional game stuff was an insult. It doesn't mean Nadal isn't an excellent player - only that he basically cannot win points in other ways than chasing everything down, putting huge amounts of topspin on it and hoping it will be too much for his opponent to handle. If his opponent does handle this and hits more winners than errors, Nadal will lose.

Exactly. The US Open series is a testament to that.

nobama
10-17-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm not a guy but just a question: doesn't the fact that Mats said that he had no balls either in certain tournaments (like the latter stages of Wimbledon) change the tone of the comment?Perhaps Roger wasn't aware that Mats has said that same thing about himself in the past?

MisterQ
10-17-2006, 11:27 PM
I was rather surprised Mats would say such a thing. It really was not an appropriate statement for someone of his stature. I thought Roger^s reply was understandable and sincere.

Wilander's admittedly crude terminology was used within an astute (if rather long-winded :lol: ) analysis of the RG final. It was filmed on video in a casual setting and appeared to be an impromptu performance.

I wonder if Roger would have been fine if Mats had used different terms, or whether the essence of what Mats was saying would still have offended him.

thrust
10-18-2006, 12:22 AM
Mister-Q- Certain terminology difinitely IS the problem-LOL!!

Corey Feldman
10-18-2006, 02:23 AM
Mats comments were about not playing a certain way, tactics, or being brave etc... he said it about himself during his wimbledon failures... so it wasnt as bad as first thought and i dont think Fed was too grumpy about it, a little bit maybe but not much.
Mats probably shoulda said it better than 'shit himself', that sounded more insulting.

Action Jackson
10-18-2006, 02:25 AM
Mats comments were about not playing a certain way, tactics, or being brave etc... he said it about himself during his wimbledon failures... so it wasnt as bad as first thought and i dont think Fed was too grumpy about it, a little bit maybe but not much.
Mats probably shoulda said it better than 'shit himself', that sounded more insulting.

Federer is still surviving and hasn't threatened to sue.

KaxMisha
10-18-2006, 02:27 AM
Exactly. The US Open series is a testament to that.

Precisely. And yet, most of the Rafatards think the one-dimensional comment was an insult and isn't true. Don't you just hate it when fanboyism interferes with reality?

Corey Feldman
10-18-2006, 02:30 AM
Federer is still surviving but when he next lost a match (how many months later?) Vs the Scot, he was then accused of tanking..... that almost pushed him over the edge
:sad:

Action Jackson
10-18-2006, 02:31 AM
but when he next lost a match (how many months later?) Vs the Scot, he was then accused of tanking..... that almost pushed him over the edge
:sad:

Well look what he did after those accusations.:)