Corrrect hand grip [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Corrrect hand grip

Gasquet&Feli_Fan
10-17-2006, 03:56 AM
well ever since i've been playing tennis i've been tought that you should hold the racket like your shaking someones hand, then this year my new coach told me that i was holding it wrong and you should hold it more like your holding a hammer. Does anyone know the correct grip to use?

Fuego Frío
10-17-2006, 06:04 PM
:p hmm... thats weird.. i always though people hold the racquet however they feel comfortable. i must admit though i holod my racquet like im holding a hammer (i play tennis right but everything else left). but some people..maybe yourself... have very extreme grips. Vera Dushevena has an EXTREMELY extreme grip

Johnny Groove
10-19-2006, 12:34 AM
there is a shitload of grips one can use, and each for a different reason. there is no "correct" grip. just use what feels comfortable :wavey:

GlennMirnyi
10-19-2006, 01:28 AM
Hey, you're gettin' it really wrong. I mean, there's a lot of grips and they depend on the stroke you're doing.
My grips, for example:
Serve, volleying and slice: continental (the one of the hand-shaking)
Forehand: semi-western (half the way between continental and western (about 45º)
Backhand: backhand eastern (just like a western forehand grip, about 90º)

Gasquet&Feli_Fan
10-19-2006, 02:32 AM
oh ok thanks for all your help
i think i have an extreme western grip

Solat
10-21-2006, 01:37 PM
well ever since i've been playing tennis i've been tought that you should hold the racket like your shaking someones hand, then this year my new coach told me that i was holding it wrong and you should hold it more like your holding a hammer. Does anyone know the correct grip to use?

i believe you should try to lengthen your hand down the racquet rather then the hammer grip, it gives more feel, so i'd encourage the shake hands theory