#TITLE winners on 4 CONTINENTS:.Federer, Hewitt, Nadal...[Djoko 2008] [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

#TITLE winners on 4 CONTINENTS:.Federer, Hewitt, Nadal...[Djoko 2008]

CmonAussie
10-16-2006, 01:54 AM
:cool:
Federer & Blake have both won tourneys in 4-Contintents in 2006*

Federer 06:[Nth America 4-titles, Europe 4-titles, Asia 3-titles, Australia 1-title]:worship:

Blake 06:[Nth America 2-titles, Europe 1-title, Asia 1-title, Australia 1-title];) .................
What other players have done this:confused:
>>>>> Being a patriotic Aussie I can remember most of Hewitt`s stats!

Hewitt 01:[Europe 2-titles, Australia 2-titles, Nth America 1-title, Asia 1-title]:devil:

BTW, Federer also managed the feat in 2004:angel: & Nadal in 05:p

Federer 04:[Europe 4-titles, Nth America 4-titles, Asia 2-titles, Australia 1-title]:cool:

Nadal 05:[Europe 7-titles, Nth America 1-title, Sth America 2-titles, Asia 1-title]:devil:

###***...Please let me know of any other players you know of who have won in atleast 4-Continents in a calendar season:confused: ...........Also has any player ever won in 5-Continents during one year:confused:

Vilas 77:[Nth America 7-titles, Sth America 4-titles, Europe 3-titles, Asia 1-title, Africa 1-title]~~ note he also made the final of AO... had he won he would have won titles on 6-continents!!!:worship:

Connors 74:[Nth America 9-titles, Europe 3-titles, Australia 1-title, Africa 1-title]:devil:

TennisGrandSlam
10-16-2006, 02:18 AM
:cool:
Federer & Blake have both won tourneys in 4-Contintents in 2006*

Federer 06:[Nth America 4-titles, Europe 4-titles, Asia 2-titles, Australia 1-title:worship:

Blake 06:[Nth America 2-titles, Europe 1-title, Asia 1-title, Australia 1-title];) .................
What other players have done this:confused:
>>>>> Being a patriotic Aussie I can remember most of Hewitt`s stats!

Hewitt 01:[Europe 2-titles, Australia 2-titles, Nth America 1-title, Asia 1-title]:devil:

BTW, Federer also managed the feat in 2004:angel: & Nadal in 05:p

Federer 04:[Europe 4-titles, Nth America 4-titles, Asia 2-titles, Australia 1-title]:cool:

Nadal 05:[Europe 8-titles, Nth America 1-title, Sth America 2-titles, Asia 1-title]:devil:

###***...Please let me know of any other players you know of who have won in atleast 4-Continents in a calendar season:confused: ...........Also has any player ever won in 5-Continents during one year:confused: [Vilas or Connors maybe]??

Vilas (1977) - 5 Contintents

CmonAussie
10-16-2006, 02:56 AM
Vilas (1977) - 5 Contintents

:wavey: :cool:
Thanks mate;) ~~ that confirms it ..>> Vilas is officially a legend:worship:

Sjengster
10-16-2006, 03:23 AM
Where did those 2 extra titles of Federer this year spring from, Aus? It's 4 in North America, 2 in Europe, 1 in Australia, and 1 in Asia (plus of course Doha - does Asia encompass the Middle East as well? I'm not sure).

robinhood
10-16-2006, 03:50 AM
Yes, I think Middle East is Asia.
So 2 in Asia.

marti_228
10-16-2006, 04:04 AM
Middle East is definetely Asia. There is no continent named Middle East.
The continents are America,Africa,Europe,Asia and Oceania (well Antartida too). So Australia is not a continent.

CmonAussie
10-16-2006, 04:05 AM
Where did those 2 extra titles of Federer this year spring from, Aus? It's 4 in North America, 2 in Europe, 1 in Australia, and 1 in Asia (plus of course Doha - does Asia encompass the Middle East as well? I'm not sure).
:wavey:
Sorry mate=~ i made a mistake with his European titles:sad: ..Anyway I`ve edited it now:angel:

CmonAussie
10-16-2006, 04:08 AM
The continents are America,Africa,Europe,Asia and Oceania (well Antartida too). So Australia is not a continent.
Depends on what textbook you`re referencing;) ... Australasia [encompassing Australia, New Zealand & Papua New Guinea] has long been termed a continent:cool: .... However other publications term this Oceania:confused: ~~ which also includes islands far out in the Pacific:eek:

CmonAussie
10-16-2006, 06:51 AM
Vilas`s 1977 was pretty impressive

Springfield, Buenos Aires, Virginia Beach, Roland Garros, Kitzbuhel, Washington, Louisville, South Orange, Columbus, US Open, Paris, Tehran, Bogota, Santiago, Buenos Aires, Johannesburg WCT

Vilas 77:[Nth America 7-titles, Sth America 4-titles, Europe 3-titles, Asia 1-title, Africa 1-title]~~ note he also made the final of AO... had he won he would have won titles on 6-continents!!!

Jimnik
10-16-2006, 07:02 AM
I heard there are 7 continents: N America, S America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australasia and Antarctica.

CmonAussie
10-16-2006, 07:04 AM
I heard there are 7 continents: N America, S America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australasia and Antarctica.
When I studied geography at school those were the 7-continents we learned as well:cool:

Jimnik
10-16-2006, 07:10 AM
I'll be extremely impressed if an ATP player won on 6 continents.
Nowadays, you'd have to play Casablanca to achieve this.

CmonAussie
10-16-2006, 07:15 AM
I'll be extremely impressed if an ATP player won on 6 continents.
Nowadays, you'd have to play Casablanca to achieve this.
Vilas came as close as anyone ever will:cool: ... He won on 5-continents & lost the final of AO that year>> if he`d won then he would have had the magical six:eek:

Also Vilas did win the AO of the following year~~ 1978 AO in January... so he missed the mark by only a few weeks:sad:

PS~~ Somehow I don`t see Federer playing Casablanca & Buenos Aires in the same year anytime soon;) ~what do you think mate:confused:

Jimnik
10-16-2006, 07:23 AM
Vilas came as close as anyone ever will:cool: ... He won on 5-continents & lost the final of AO that year>> if he`d won then he would have had the magical six:eek:

Also Vilas did win the AO of the following year~~ 1978 AO in January... so he missed the mark by only a few weeks:sad:

PS~~ Somehow I don`t see Federer playing Casablanca & Buenos Aires in the same year anytime soon;) ~what do you think mate:confused:
:lol: Nor do I.

Even Massu is more likely to achieve this. He always enters Casablanca and the South American tournaments. But, off course, he'll never win an Australian or American title.

Puerta might have achieved it, if he hadn't taken too many drugs off course. ;)

CmonAussie
10-16-2006, 07:53 AM

Even Massu is more likely to achieve this. He always enters Casablanca and the South American tournaments. But, off course, he'll never win an Australian or American title.

;) ~Still you never know...they may bring back the Johannesburg tourney->> in which case Federer would want to play because his mum is Sth African:cool: . Then there`s an outside chance Buenos Aires may become an AMS tourney~ esp. with the brand new stadium they built there!

TennisGrandSlam
10-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Vilas`s 1977 was pretty impressive

Springfield, Buenos Aires, Virginia Beach, Roland Garros, Kitzbuhel, Washington, Louisville, South Orange, Columbus, US Open, Paris, Tehran, Bogota, Santiago, Buenos Aires, Johannesburg WCT

Vilas 77:[Nth America 7-titles, Sth America 4-titles, Europe 3-titles, Asia 1-title, Africa 1-title]~~ note he also made the final of AO... had he won he would have won titles on 6-continents!!!

But still no.2 :rolleyes:

If I am a player, I would rather 16 singles titles w/ 2 GS than NO.1 :cool:

marti_228
10-16-2006, 04:42 PM

Here, America is one continent. Then, there are like divisions: South America, Central America and North America.
The others would be Antarctica Africa,Asia,Europe and Oceania (or Australia, but I consider it only a country).
If you go to en.wikipedia.org , there is an explanation of the models of continents that there are in the world. (I searched that in case I was being really stupid;) ).

Leo
10-17-2006, 12:01 AM
I was taught that Australia was the continent, and not Oceania or "Australasia."

MisterQ
10-17-2006, 12:12 AM
Here, America is one continent. Then, there are like divisions: South America, Central America and North America.
The others would be Antarctica Africa,Asia,Europe and Oceania (or Australia, but I consider it only a country).
If you go to en.wikipedia.org , there is an explanation of the models of continents that there are in the world. (I searched that in case I was being really stupid;) ).

Things were so simple in the good old days of Pangaea. :sad:

Lee
10-17-2006, 12:22 AM
I was taught that Australia was the continent, and not Oceania or "Australasia."

Still the same now in elementary schools in USA. :shrug:

CmonAussie
10-17-2006, 04:14 AM
To be honest with you I`ve heard of all three terms used to describe the country where I was educated as continents:confused:

At the catholic primary school it was AUSTRALIA

At the state middle school (up to years 7-8) it was AUSTRALASIA

At the private high school it was OCEANIA:rolleyes:

............It doesn`t really matter what we call it ~~ just so long as we can find it on the map:cool:

PS.. The AO`s official logo now says The Australian Open~ Grand Slam of ASIA PACIFIC

TennisGrandSlam
10-29-2006, 03:18 AM

AO 1978 was held within December 1978 - January 1979 :devil:

CmonAussie
10-29-2006, 10:06 AM
AO 1978 was held within December 1978 - January 1979 :devil:
:wavey: ~~>> Okie dokies as usual you`re spot on with the stats:cool: >>..

Anyway the fact is Vilas won AO in 1978:worship: ...

Australian Open, Australia
Grand Slam, 26-Dec-78, O, Grass , Draw: 64

R64 Rocavert, Terry (AUS) N/A 6-3 6-7 6-3 7-6
R32 Drewett, Brad (AUS) N/A 6-4 6-4 6-3
R16 Stone, Allan (AUS) N/A 6-4 6-4 6-4
Q Roche, Tony (AUS) N/A 3-6 6-1 3-6 6-3 6-2
S Pfister, Hank (USA) N/A 6-2 6-0 6-4
W Marks, John (AUS) N/A 6-4 6-4 3-6 6-3

>>>... Had Vilas won the AO in 77 [he lost the final to Tanner]~>> he would have been the 1st man ever to win tournaments in 6-Contintents during a calendar year:angel: ... Even Federer won`t come close to matching that;)

ChinoRios4Ever
10-30-2006, 10:44 PM
R1OS 98 (Northamerica 2-Indian Wells & Key Biscayne, Europe 3-Rome, St. Polten & Grand Slam Cup Munich, Asia 1-Singapore, New Zealand 1-Auckland)

Jlee
10-30-2006, 11:58 PM

Same here. I wasn't aware that anyone named it something besides Australia...

josemanuel
10-31-2006, 01:00 AM
Sorry, but where have u learnt geography???
America is ONE continent and we can divide it in South, Central and North, divided by the Panama and Tehuantepec istms respectively (sorry i don´t know how to say istmos). There´s no reason to call North America a continent and South America another one (and in that case what is Central America???).

marti_228
10-31-2006, 01:18 AM
America is ONE continent and we can divide it in South, Central and North, divided by the Panama and Tehuantepec istms respectively (sorry i don´t know how to say istmos). There´s no reason to call North America a continent and South America another one (and in that case what is Central America???).

I said the same a few posts above. :)
I know there are places where it's called Australia but still for me, Australia is only a country and not a continent.

Howard
10-31-2006, 01:25 AM
The continents are America,Africa,Europe,Asia and Oceania (well Antarctica too). So Australia is not a continent.If there's an Antarctica Open I'm going to enter. I know I can beat a bunch of penguins.

ExcaliburII
10-31-2006, 01:52 AM

a lack of respect:(

ExcaliburII
10-31-2006, 01:54 AM
Vilas Aussie Open 78 started on Dec of 77.

TennisGrandSlam
10-31-2006, 02:02 AM
Vilas Aussie Open 78 started on Dec of 77.

No, Australian Open 1978 was hold within December 1978 - January 1979.

In 1977, there were 2 Australian Open holding - in January and December.

Vilas only played once in January and was runner-up.

Vilas won AO first time in January 7, 1979, but actually it is Australian Open 1978.

After 1977, AO held in December until 1985. No tournament in 1986, and AO returned to January in 1987.

CmonAussie
10-31-2006, 07:05 AM
R1OS 98 (Northamerica 2-Indian Wells & Key Biscayne, Europe 3-Rome, St. Polten & Grand Slam Cup Munich, Asia 1-Singapore, New Zealand 1-Auckland)
Good thanks:cool: ...~I didn`t realise Rios had won on 4-continents in 98;)
RIOS 98
Europe ~ 3-titles
North America ~ 2-titles
Asia ~ 1-title
Australasia [includes New Zealand] ~ 1-title
#Rios obviously enjoyed a great run in 98 & his legacy would have been a whole lot greater if he could have beaten Korda in the AO final that year:p

TennisGrandSlam
10-31-2006, 07:40 AM
Good thanks:cool: ...~I didn`t realise Rios had won on 4-continents in 98;)
RIOS 98
Europe ~ 3-titles
North America ~ 2-titles
Asia ~ 1-title
Australasia [includes New Zealand] ~ 1-title
#Rios obviously enjoyed a great run in 98 & his legacy would have been a whole lot greater if he could have beaten Korda in the AO final that year:p

If Rios beated Korda, he would be YE NO.1 in 1998. :devil:

CmonAussie
10-31-2006, 01:13 PM
If Rios beated Korda, he would be YE NO.1 in 1998. :devil:

WOW ~ that one match had a big bearing on history didn`t it;) ...
###
~~ So if Rios had been able to beat Korda in the 98 AO final then we wouldn`t be talking about Sampras finishing #1 for 6-years in a row:eek: .. If it had only been 5-years then Federer would have a much easier record to chase:sad:
Rios really choked in that final however~>> Korda absolutely smoked him:devil: ... Certainly a pity that the mecurial Marcelo couldn`t bring on his A-game that day..

TennisGrandSlam
10-31-2006, 03:24 PM
WOW ~ that one match had a big bearing on history didn`t it;) ...
###
~~ So if Rios had been able to beat Korda in the 98 AO final then we wouldn`t be talking about Sampras finishing #1 for 6-years in a row:eek: .. If it had only been 5-years then Federer would have a much easier record to chase:sad:
Rios really choked in that final however~>> Korda absolutely smoked him:devil: ... Certainly a pity that the mecurial Marcelo couldn`t bring on his A-game that day..

Rios - NO. 1 w/o Grand Slam :devil:

Vilas - 4 Slam w/o NO.1 (2 Slam titles + another 14 Grand Prix titles + AO runner-up in 1977) :o

ChinoRios4Ever
10-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Korda played out of this world in that match, Rios was so nervous :sad:

Jlee
11-01-2006, 09:19 PM

I'm in the United States. The continents I learned were North America, South America, Antartica, Europe, Australia, Africa, and Asia.

It makes more sense to split the Americas up in my mind, but that's probably just because that's how I've always been taught. :lol:

CmonAussie
11-02-2006, 02:28 AM
I'm in the United States. The continents I learned were North America, South America, Antartica, Europe, Australia, Africa, and Asia.

It makes more sense to split the Americas up in my mind, but that's probably just because that's how I've always been taught. :lol:

:wavey: ~..The continents that seem to be unfairly unrepresented in terms of ATP tournaments are obviously Africa [one tourney] & Antarctica [none]:eek:

CmonAussie
11-19-2006, 11:53 AM
R.Federer 2006 ~ 4-continents!!
#
Nth America 4 [USA 3, Canada 1]
#
Europe 4 [UK 1, Germany 1, Spain 1, Switzerland 1]
#
Asia 3 [Doha 1, China 1, Japan 1]
#
Australasia [AUS 1]
~~>>>.....12-tournaments, 4-continents, 10-countries, 3-slams, 4-TMS, TMC, 2-grass, 3-indoor, 7-out door hard, 4-other finals in 4-countries, over $8,000,000 prizemoney, winning percentage 94%...
>> 2nd greatest year in the history of mens tennis [Rod Laver 69 is #1st]!

CmonAussie
11-17-2008, 05:23 AM
BUMP
<>
DJOKOVIC wins in 4 continents [2008]:
AO [Australiasia]
Indian Wells [North America]
Rome [Europe]
TMC [Asia]

Federer achieved the same 4-continent feat in 2004, 2006 & 2007, & also won in 3 continents in 2002, 2005, 2008!
Hewitt achieved the 4-continent feat in 2001!
Nadal achieved the 4-continent feat in 2005!
Blake achieved the 4-continent feat in 2006!