Who has a greater career at this point.. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who has a greater career at this point..

ys
10-15-2006, 04:23 PM
It is surprising , as Ljubicic is of much more high profile, it seems, but apart from that, their resumes are totally comparable..

Davydenko has an edge in titles ( 9 against Ljubicic's 6, all othem, totally mickey mouse stuff for both players ), and in Grand Slam credentials ( a couple of Slam semis, few quarters against , actually, 1 semifinal and 1 QF of Lubicic ), while Ljubicic has an edge in best rankings ( 3rd vs 5th ), TMS results ( 3 TMS finals ) and Davis Cup ( win for Ivan against yet-unplayed final for Kolya, )..

Sjengster
10-15-2006, 04:24 PM
If I suggested it was Ljubicic you'd only get upset (I'm not necessarily saying it is), so I'll leave others to cast their verdict.

RickDaStick
10-15-2006, 04:26 PM
At this point I say Ivan because unlike davydenko he has won a davis cup pretty much single handedly and also has a Olympics medal.

ys
10-15-2006, 04:26 PM
If I suggested it was Ljubicic you'd only get upset (I'm not necessarily saying it is), so I'll leave others to cast their verdict.

I would not get upset about anything, really.. As I myself am not very certain what would my choice be.. Both are elite players, but both really didn't achieve anything that would be remembered much yet outside of their countries.. So, not sure..

That tennis kid
10-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Davydenko has certainly fared better at the grand slams than Ljubicic: Davydenko has reached the quarter-final or better five times (all of those coming in his last eight outings); while Ljubicic has only managed to reach the quarter-final or better on two occasions (both this year.) However, Davydenko has been less impressive at Master Series than Ljubicic. Also, Ljubicic has the better Davis Cup record (though this may be negated somewhat should Davydenko help Russia to win against Argentina)

Their success to date seems pretty even. Yet, Davydenko is two years younger than Ljubicic so may ultimately have the better career. Davydenko prospects of winning a 'big title' are pretty slim (Hamburg this year could have been his biggest chance) and Ljubicic has a reasonable shot bagging anindoor Master Series toward the year-end at some point and should also figure in the other North American Master Series (despite being no slouch on clay I wouldn't give him much of a shot of winning a MS on clay).

Leo
10-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Davydenko because of his superior Slam results.

But right now it's pointless to speculate as they're both in their primes and will be adding to their career achievements.

stebs
10-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Right now I'd say they are about even.

GlennMirnyi
10-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Ljubicic because of the DC. Olypics mean nothing to tennis, that's :bs:

Purple Rainbow
10-15-2006, 07:03 PM
You might throw Blake in this lot too. Pretty similar in career achievements to both.

User id 7816
10-15-2006, 07:04 PM
I dont know about greater career but there doesn't seem to be a contest in the number of threads dedicated, is there. Atleast you can say if there was a Slam Indoors or a Slam the week before a Slam, they would have probably both won one by now.

User id 7816
10-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Why would a team competition which is well known that is played in pretty different conditions than regular tournaments would be added when you consider individual achievments? I find this strange, no matter how perfect someone might have performed there, sorry.:shrug:

Daniel
10-17-2006, 02:56 AM
Ivan

TennisGrandSlam
10-17-2006, 06:18 AM
It is wonderful that all Kolya, Ivan and Blake never win AMS.

Boris Franz Ecker
10-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Davydenko. he's won a little bit more.

scarecrows
10-17-2006, 11:00 AM
even

Action Jackson
10-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Davydenko has the better Slam results, but Ljubo has defeated more top players, but cases could be made either way.

Jimnik
10-17-2006, 05:14 PM
At the moment, Ljubicic.

But after Russia wins the Davis Cup, Davydenko.

safinalium
10-17-2006, 05:19 PM
it's hard to say - maybe Ljubicic...

Havok
10-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Davydenko, but just slightly. #3 to #5 isn't such a big difference in ranking (had he got to #2 then that's a different thing, but he NEVER will so whatever). Davy has much better Slam results (Ivan has one QF and one SF, both reached this year and that's it). Ivan has 3 TMS finals, but considering Davydenko has much better GS results and a few more titles not only negates that but surpases it by just a bit. Plus Davydenko has been top 10 for what 2 years now? Ljubicic just only got there towards the end of last year so it's just about a year now I think. DC, honestly who really cares. He had a freak run last year, then lost 1r this year. It's only 1 DC title and shouldn't really be used imo (if he had like 2-3, then that's a different story).

Sjengster
10-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Yes, that was a freak run, which explains why he won all 3 of his singles matches this year as well (they lost in the second round, not the first - and oh look, "only serve" Ljubicic still managed to school the far superior player Nalbandian in straight sets!). I think a record like that deserves greater acclaim than most DC victories and should be heralded as his biggest career achievement.

alfonsojose
10-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Olympics and DC doesn't mean anything to me. Ivan should be ahead, but his GS performances .. :rolleyes: Kolya is better, IMO

Sjengster
10-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Of course they don't mean anything to those who aren't remotely successful in them (I'm referring to both our countries here, BTW).

markom
10-17-2006, 09:05 PM
ljubo has 6 atp wins and 9 more finals
kolya 9 wins and 3 finals