Davydenko def. Safin 6-4 5-7 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davydenko def. Safin 6-4 5-7 6-4

stebs
10-15-2006, 02:10 PM
Great victory for PMK.

stebs
10-15-2006, 02:11 PM
A shame for Safin not to win this but Davydenko was simply better today.

Egag
10-15-2006, 02:11 PM
great match from both players

stebs
10-15-2006, 02:12 PM
great match from both players

I had a feeling Kolya would choke serving it out but he held at love. :)

Purple Rainbow
Kolya! :)

TMJordan
:sad:

neenah
Nice win for Davydenko, and of course nice week for Safin :)

Billabong
10-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Marat:sad: But nice week anyway, he can be really proud of his tournament:yeah:

Kalliopeia
Aw, Marat. :sad:

silver7
I think it was a good tourney for Marat! A big :hug: for him :D
Congrats Kolya.

Guybrush
Nice! :yeah:

Nadie
10-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Marat :bigcry:

Adler
Oh well, at least Marat had his own dream for a while. However he'd have to wait for another title and he has to practise a bit more to compete with the top of the circuit. Anyway, congratulations on a great run

Davy... less and less people will call him a clown ;)

~EMiLiTA~
as expected

but still a good confidence booster for marat

stebs
10-15-2006, 02:15 PM
Marat didn't serve well enough is the only problem with his game today. Other than that he just wasn't quite good enough. Davydenko picks up title no. 4 for the season and is also at 4 for most tiels won this year behind Federer, Nadal and Blake.

TMJordan
Marat :bigcry:

:sad:

artlinkletter
Well played by Davy. He had two breaks in the third but kindly gave one back to Safin. But Safin did well to even take it to the third set. Overall, it was a good week for him.

gillian
:-( Sad for my blogging Marat.

Congrats to Davydenko.

neenah
10-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Marat didn't serve well enough is the only problem with his game today. Other than that he just wasn't quite good enough. Davydenko picks up title no. 4 for the season and is also at 4 for most tiels won this year behind Federer, Nadal and Blake.

His first serve was only 59% to Davydenko's 71%..

mangoes
10-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Congrats Davy:hug: Very entertaining match from both players. Marat had a very good week and had a very good chance of winning today. But, Congrats to Davydenko who raised his level a notch at important times during the match. Very nice rallies during this match.

artlinkletter
10-15-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm watching the trophy presentation and they just handed off a gazillion things to Davydenko. 2 trophies, 1 plate, flowers and a box.

Bilbo
10-15-2006, 02:26 PM
expected win by davydenko

Metis
10-15-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm watching the trophy presentation and they just handed off a gazillion things to Davydenko. 2 trophies, 1 plate, flowers and a box.
:lol: I saw that too. They should have brought a grocery cart for him too, to carry all the stuff.

Can anyone translate what Marat said? He was talking for ever and Davydenko had to drag him away from the microphone. :D

artlinkletter
10-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Can anyone translate what Marat said? He was talking for ever and Davydenko had to drag him away from the microphone. :D

It looked like he was putting on a comedic act. Only words I gathered were Linesmen and Sponsors. And he always uses the same line when thanking the Linesmen, saying he would never win a single point without them. lol. Gets corny after hearing it multiple times.

P.S. What is this bald man yelling about in his speech? Anyone care to translate?

Kalliopeia
10-15-2006, 02:34 PM
It looked like he was putting on a comedic act. Only words I gathered were Linesmen and Sponsors. And he always uses the same line when thanking the Linesmen, saying he would never win a single point without them. lol. Gets corny after hearing it multiple times.

P.S. What is this bald man yelling about in his speech? Anyone care to translate?

He did that after the women's final, too. Went on and on, waving his arms around and yelling.

And I noticed the ton of stuff they gave him, too. Really, didn't they consider that he couldn't hold all thatstuff? Should have at least put a table out there.

Jimnik
10-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Yes, I would love to hear a translation of this ceremony. Especially the bald guy at the end. He kept shouting Shamil, Marat and Nikolay's names. Was he talking about Davis Cup?

belgampaul
10-15-2006, 02:36 PM
:lol: I saw that too. They should have brought a grocery cart for him too, to carry all the stuff.

He said that Davy was a Ukranian and that the next year he'll make a deal with him to let him win the title.

And the rest it was like thanking everybody.

embellish
10-15-2006, 02:38 PM

I know although I can't understand Russian I could kinda guess what he was saying as the cameras went to Volkov, the linesman, the ballboys/girls etc that is thanking them. I wonder if he congratulated Davys coach and family!

Good effort by Marat, Hopefully it'll carry through to next week. I really have to stop watching the livestream though as my neighbours got a bit concerned with me shouting 'idiot boy' at the computer when he got broken!

Adler
10-15-2006, 02:40 PM
This bald guy is Moscow's mayor, Youri Luzkhov

artlinkletter
10-15-2006, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=embellish;4279390] I wonder if he congratulated Davys coach and family!QUOTE]
I think he thanked them first cause the camera panned towards their direction for a little bit.

mer
10-15-2006, 02:44 PM
bald man is Moscow mayor

tennisgal_001
10-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Good effort, Davy.
:sad: Marat... WTH happened in the opening game of the decider? 40-00, 2 aces, 1 good serve, and it went downhill from there.

What happened at the trophy pres.? Marat looked surprisingly cheerful.

TheBoiledEgg
10-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Marat :( :( :( just fell short again :( :(

now Kolya winning here makes Shamil's job trickier for DC final.

pistolmarat
:eek:
though, great effort from Marat:p
congrats to Nikolay for another solid run:yeah:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
Well done Davy! :clap2:

ys
10-15-2006, 03:36 PM
This bald guy is Moscow's mayor, Youri Luzkhov

Yep, a man of a bad taste and limited intellect, but very shrewd politician and manager. But his speech was an embarassment, so much reminiscent of speeches of good old Communist Party days.

IMHO, Marat's sense of humour really failed him.. Joking that the crowd supported Kolya more because he is Ukrainian, joking that he would have won if it was not for Kolya's brother Eduard, the joke about linesmen, asking the crowd to applaud louder when the sponsors names are called, because otherwise he won't get paid, all that was of very questionable taste.. So unlike best of him..

mer
10-15-2006, 03:50 PM
asking the crowd to applaud louder when the sponsors names are called, because otherwise he won't get paid,
not he won't get paid, he said the won't give money (for sport)

tennis lover
10-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Congratulations to Davydenko for his fourth title of the year :yeah: and also to Safin for reaching his first final in over a year! :D

january
10-15-2006, 04:59 PM
safin's a moron

embellish
10-15-2006, 05:05 PM
safin's a moron

What a contribution. Thanks for sharing

BelgianWaffle
10-15-2006, 05:32 PM
safin's a moron
Great second post. :rolleyes:

Good week for Marat :hug: (please keep it up), congratulations to Davydenko for winning another title! :yeah:

RonE
10-15-2006, 05:45 PM
I did not expect this. On an indoor court I thought Safin would be the favourite.

Oh well, just goes to show whenever it's about Safin nothing is a foregone conclusion :)

Oh and congrats to Kolya :)

*Viva Chile*
10-15-2006, 05:49 PM
As RonE said, I didn't expected Davy wins over Marat on indoor carpet :sad:

Congrats Kolya, but I'm sad about Marat :bigcry:

stebs
10-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Every time Marat loses a match there is always the same thing said. It doesn't matter what happened in the match it is always "Marat, get a head :retard:", or "Safin is so crazy". Today there was nothing of that. Safin wasn't playing well enough, he didn't choke, he wasn't a moron, he just didn't play to the standard required to beat a good player such as Davydenko.

mer
10-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Every time Marat loses a match there is always the same thing said. It doesn't matter what happened in the match it is always "Marat, get a head :retard:", or "Safin is so crazy". Today there was nothing of that. Safin wasn't playing well enough, he didn't choke, he wasn't a moron, he just didn't play to the standard required to beat a good player such as Davydenko.
you are absolutely right about this match. Still there have been matches this year which were Marat's to win but he lost them. These ones were really frustrating. Today's match was not that case.

stebs
10-15-2006, 06:16 PM
you are absolutely right about this match. Still there have been matches this year which were Marat's to win but he lost them. These ones were really frustrating. Today's match was not that case.

I don't have much experience of reading your posts but those I have read are good an make perfect sense. It is not you who I am talking about. :)

As it happens there are perfectly nice people among those I am talking about as well, it is just that it seems they like to think of Safin as this godlike player who has a brain deficiency. Sure, he is a known headcase and loses many matches he should win but when not always.

bellascarlett
10-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Marat...:sobbing: :hug:

As some have said, just didn't play well enough. Most importantly, didn't serve well enough. :o...But still a great week for him. Given his history at the Kremlin Cup, this is quite impressive for him. Didn't collapse under the pressure maybe till the final but Davydenko served and played better so congrats to him! :)

Why did I know he was gonna be broken serving 1st in the third?! I just knew it...:rolleyes: I fell asleep when he was down 3-0 and woke up to the screams of the bald guy. :lol: Like ys said, kinda takes you back to the Communist days. It was just...odd. :tape: Didn't see Marat make his speech. But from some accounts, it's better I didn't (not that I understand Russian).

Hope Marat uses this tournament to work harder and increase his confidence. :unsure: :) Good luck in Madrid! :)

the cat
10-15-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm sad for Safin. :( But Marat can't hold serve anymore in big matches and that costs him matches. Well done to Davydenko. He knows how to play tennis and exploit his bigger and stronger opponents like Safin.

rmb6687
10-15-2006, 07:43 PM
ah well, Marat...it was a good run while it lasted and a sincere congratulations to Davydenko!

Can't wait til next week!

Neely
10-15-2006, 07:47 PM
Marat :sad:
Congrats to Kolya!

atheneglaukopis
10-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Well, it was a good run and he lost to a good player. I'm rather happier about losses like those to Davydenko and Haas, where we can see how his game(/plan) still has some room for improvement, as opposed to choking against--who?--at 6-0 4-1 up.

Vass
10-15-2006, 09:31 PM
he never serves well enough. His problem was playing down the middle every single shot and then waiting for Davydenko to successfully change direction.

Anyway, Davydenko surely deserved to win. Congrats to him.

Fedever
10-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!:( :smash: :sobbing:

musefanatic
10-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Aww Marat :sad:

Well done Kolya though :) :)

Curls
10-16-2006, 03:18 AM
safin's a moron
yes, he obviously is :rolleyes:
What a contribution. Thanks for sharing
:lol:

GonzoFan
10-16-2006, 06:05 AM
Congrats Davydenko! :yeah:

Marat :awww: :sad: :hug:

Action Jackson
10-16-2006, 07:24 AM
Congratulations PMK and yes he deserves his place in the top 10, it's hard to fluke 2 SFs and 1 QF in 3 of the 4 Slams.

prima donna
10-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Well done, nothing but class from Davydenko.