mc poll: Most Inspirational Match of Nadal, Federer, Hewitt, Nalbandian and Safin [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

mc poll: Most Inspirational Match of Nadal, Federer, Hewitt, Nalbandian and Safin

Pfloyd
10-15-2006, 03:30 AM
These are five of the most popular players in MTF. They have all played brilliant matches against other players, to which I ask the question, which of the above match options, do you consider to be the best or most inspirational win from that specific player?

Pick one match for each player.

P.S= substitue Nalbandian vs Ljubicic from "hard fought" to "whooping" or "ass-kicking". My bad in that one, apologies.

njorker
10-15-2006, 03:39 AM
Hewitt and Nalby, popular in MTF? :scratch: Don't know bout that, dude!

Sjengster
10-15-2006, 03:39 AM
Which match options would these be? Or are you just asking us to name the best win of each of those players ourselves?

El Legenda
10-15-2006, 03:42 AM
what?!?!?!? :haha:

GlennMirnyi
10-15-2006, 03:42 AM
Hewitt's must be the DC match against Guga in Floripa. For sure.

Pfloyd
10-15-2006, 03:44 AM
Sorry, I had trouble adding the poll. Should be good now.

Remember one match per player.

Sjengster
10-15-2006, 03:54 AM
I'm not comfortable with all the choices on offer, but Safin's AO win over Federer picks itself (Federer's only loss in a fast Slam in the last three years), and out of the three Masters Series won by Nadal in a fifth-set tiebreak the first Rome final against Coria just edges it as the most dramatic of the lot, longer by nine minutes than this year's epic.

I'm not sure whether Nalbandian's "hard fought" 6-2, 6-2 victory over Ljubicic in Shanghai last year really qualifies as one of his most inspirational wins, it was certainly a terrific performance though. I would almost suggest that his win last year over Hewitt in DC is analogous to Hewitt's own DC victory over Guga - to beat such a great player, and great DC performer, on their own turf in a convincing straight sets is a remarkable accomplishment.

El Legenda
10-15-2006, 03:55 AM
I'm not sure whether Nalbandian's "hard fought" 6-2, 6-2 victory over Ljubicic in Shanghai last year really qualifies as one of his most inspirational wins.

yeah no kidding..everyone saw it coming after Ivan went for broke vs Roger

Pfloyd
10-15-2006, 04:01 AM
I'm not comfortable with all the choices on offer, but Safin's AO win over Federer picks itself (Federer's only loss in a fast Slam in the last three years), and out of the three Masters Series won by Nadal in a fifth-set tiebreak the first Rome final against Coria just edges it as the most dramatic of the lot, longer by nine minutes than this year's epic.

I'm not sure whether Nalbandian's "hard fought" 6-2, 6-2 victory over Ljubicic in Shanghai last year really qualifies as one of his most inspirational wins, it was certainly a terrific performance though. I would almost suggest that his win last year over Hewitt in DC is analogous to Hewitt's own DC victory over Guga - to beat such a great player, and great DC performer, on their own turf in a convincing straight sets is a remarkable accomplishment.

I agree, I had trouble choosing Nalbandians 2nd match. Off the top of my head, I did not remember a good Nalbandian epic, so that match just occured to me. Ljubicic was playing amazing last year in Indoor surfaces. So it was a good win for Nalbandian, maybe not his best, but worth mention. But my bad on saying "hard fought".

I know, these options are fiercely debatable, but these were the options I came up with, sure there are other great memorable matches from these players, I am just mentioning a few.

Sjengster
10-15-2006, 04:02 AM
With Federer I feel some of his less noticed wins in smaller events are more inspirational than his victories in the bigger ones, he sometimes has to fight much harder for his wins. If you were to ask me right now I would say his whole week in Halle this year and in particular his win over Rochus in the QFs, even though I didn't see the match. He comes straight off losing the RG final, and along with it a chance for a career Slam as well as 4 consecutive Slams, has to adapt to a completely different surface in two days and comes through four straight three-setters to claim the title for a fourth time when his trainer had advised him not to play the event.

Rochus would have written himself into the history books had he converted one of those four matchpoints he had in the quarters; the man who ended Federer's grass-court winning streak, and also I would imagine the shortest player ever to defeat a world no. 1. Federer would have failed to match and subsequently break Borg's grass record of 41 straight wins, being stuck on 38 instead. Nadal had to save matchpoints against him in Rome to tie Vilas' all-time claycourt record and then surpass it at RG, I suppose what goes around comes around. And Federer saved all the matchpoints with winners, including two drive volleys in a row I gather.

rmb6687
10-15-2006, 05:15 AM
I always get forget that multiple choice polls exist...and end up picking only once answer. Either way, the best and obvious choice would be Marat and Roger at the 2005 AO

*Viva Chile*
10-15-2006, 05:59 AM
mc poll??? sounds too Grey's Anatomy :haha:

Marat def. Roger in AO 05... that match definitely I never will forget :worship:

charlie666
10-15-2006, 11:30 AM
How about the Indian Wells 05 final between Hewitt and Federer? You should include that match just for that one amazing point!

MisterQ
10-15-2006, 01:59 PM
For drama and high stakes, the 2006 Rome Final gets my vote. It seems crazy to vote for a TMS match rather than a GS match, but there was so much at stake for both players. 1 and 2 in the world facing off after having met in the final the tournament before. Nadal needed to win the match to tie Vilas' clay court streak. Federer fighting to establish that he was indeed a viable threat to Nadal on clay. Comebacks, saved match points... it was a nailbiter.

A very close second (and superior in quality) was Safin-Federer at the Australian Open. No one who saw that match will ever forget it.

Right behind those:

Federer-Sampras (although it was a big deal back then, it seems more significant now that Federer has taken over Sampras' dominant role)

Nadal-Coria (an epic, plain and simple, and a handing off of the claycourt torch)

Nalbandian-Federer (I'm always hearing how Federer was injured, but Nalbandian played brilliantly and there was a lot of thrilling tennis. Nalbandian finally breaks through to win a really important title).

stebs
10-15-2006, 02:05 PM
I guess the most inspirational is very different from the best. Federer coming back to beat Rafa in Miami was incredible. Rafa looked so sure to be heading to a straight sets win.

Also Hewitt coming back to defeat Federer.

Rafa's are both incredible.

Jimnik
10-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Replace Hewitt with Gasquet, and you've got the 5 most popular players on MTF.