Tennis Masters Cup to move to London from 2009??? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tennis Masters Cup to move to London from 2009???

Agassi Aces
10-12-2006, 04:56 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6045364.stm

LTA chief executive Roger Draper Draper has also said that he would like to bring the season-ending Masters Cup, currently held in Shanghai, to Britain.
"We're investigating the possibilities," Draper said. "But obviously more detailed discussions need to take place.

"There's no reason why we can't hold the Tennis Masters Cup in London from 2009 onwards but I'm sure we'll have a bit of competition from our old rivals Paris and a few other cities as well."

Sjengster
10-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Hmm, having already bagged the Oympics I think this is a little unlikely. Still, if we get it then I'm there for sure.

revolution
10-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Where would we host it though? Grass would not be totally accepted by the players, so we need an indoor venue.

Sjengster
10-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Where would we host it though? Grass would not be totally accepted by the players, so we need an indoor venue.

I doubt any outdoor surface would be accepted by the players in London in mid-November. ;)

What about the Albert Hall where they have the final event on the Seniors tour, or would that be too tricky to arrange/too fast a surface?

LaTenista
10-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Wow, they finally found a good use for the Millenium Dome. :speakles:

I don't think Paris has a snowball in hell's chance, I mean they already have a GS & the last TMS (and tournament) of the year - it would be silly to give them the TMC as well.

I'd definitely go in 2009 if London gets it. :yeah:

Varya
10-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Great!:rocker2:

Leo
10-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Wow, they finally found a good use for the Millenium Dome. :speakles:

I don't think Paris has a snowball in hell's chance, I mean they already have a GS & the last TMS (and tournament) of the year - it would be silly to give them the TMC as well.

I'd definitely go in 2009 if London gets it. :yeah:

I'm guessing Paris would not keep its TMS in 2009 because it wouldn't make sense to have the last TMS and TMC back-to-back in the same city. And London has its own Grand Slam too.

I hope they bring either the men's or women's back to MSG in NYC one day soon - the Chase Championships were awesome with atmosphere and quality of play.

Agassi Aces
10-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Reports on Five Live indicate that the deal is heavily in discussion. Evidently, also to make Queens Club a TMS event. The surface would be Indoor Hard played either at Albert Hall or Millennium Dome.

▄︻┻┳═
10-12-2006, 07:17 PM
That's a crap, TMC won't leave Shanghai until 2011

jayjay
10-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Nations who have a Slam, shouldn't get TMC as far as I'm concerned. However, if it does go to London - I can put my principes aside to go and watch. LOL

Agassi Aces
10-13-2006, 09:07 AM
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tennis/story/0,,1921110,00.html

TMC is definately leaving Shanghai aftwer 2008. More news in today:

Roger Draper also wants to bring the year-end Masters Cup, one of the most prestigious tournaments on the calendar, to London after it moves from its current home in Shanghai. The Masters Cup, where the season's top eight players compete for a huge pot of prize money and ranking points, will leave China after 2008 and the ATP Tour, which will decide its future along with the ITF and the four grand slam tournaments, is keen to bring the event back to Europe.

Paris is the only other serious contender, and a British pitch would be helped by the successful 2012 Olympic bid. London currently lacks suitable indoor venues but one of the proposed Olympic sites could be used if completed by November 2009. Draper believes that if children see the likes of Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Andy Murray play then they will choose tennis over other sports.

He pointed to the Stella Artois Championship, held at Queen's Club each June, as an example of where the sport has previously been going wrong. "I was watching Nadal at Queen's and there were 7,000 people watching him but they were all City boys and posh totty," said Draper. "That could have been 7,000 kids instead. That has to change. Kids are inspired when they see their heroes."

Enlisting coaches such as Annacone and bringing more prestigious events to the UK are elements of Draper's blueprint for British tennis. It includes plans for a major overhaul of coaching in clubs, schools and training centres, which might ultimately have a bigger impact than his more newsworthy ambitions.

jayjay
10-13-2006, 09:09 AM
So we could have the Paris Masters where alot of the top players fail to turn up - followed by the Paris Masters Cup where alot of the players fail to turn up?

*Ljubica*
10-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Great :) Hope this turns out to be correct - Millenium Dome or Albert Hall would be wonderful venues.

Neverstopfightin
10-13-2006, 10:46 AM
I bet a lot of cities in Europe want to host the Masters Cup , not only London . A clear biased new telling things like " Paris is the only other serious contender ".

This is just a new posted at British media making campaign for its city :zzz:

doublebackhand
10-13-2006, 11:07 AM
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tennis/story/0,,1921110,00.html

He pointed to the Stella Artois Championship, held at Queen's Club each June, as an example of where the sport has previously been going wrong. "I was watching Nadal at Queen's and there were 7,000 people watching him but they were all City boys and posh totty," said Draper. "That could have been 7,000 kids instead. That has to change. Kids are inspired when they see their heroes."

dont u just love how the english speak??

anyway, i kinda support the TMC in London, it seems weird the nation only has 3 weeks of tennis each year. My other choice will be Spain, i know they have the TMS just a month earlier but with the popularity of tennis there, they deserve something more.

jayjay
10-13-2006, 11:33 AM
My other choice will be Spain, i know they have the TMS just a month earlier but with the popularity of tennis there, they deserve something more.

Agree with that, if it's coming to Europe then Spain would be best all things considered.

What do people think of moving the TMC every couple of years to each continent? Of course it's not as simple as that and it comes down to sponsors/money, but South America deserves a Masters event - we don't have one, it would at least be nice for the TMC to be there for a couple of years.

Jimnik
10-13-2006, 11:57 AM
The Dome? That's interesting.

I still don't think we deserve it.

revolution
10-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Where is this thing about Queen's bein turned into an AMS? That would be splendid if true like....

star
10-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Agree with that, if it's coming to Europe then Spain would be best all things considered.

What do people think of moving the TMC every couple of years to each continent? Of course it's not as simple as that and it comes down to sponsors/money, but South America deserves a Masters event - we don't have one, it would at least be nice for the TMC to be there for a couple of years.

I would love to see more tennis in South America -- particularly in the last part of the year. If the TMC were in South America, it could be held outdoors and that would be a great thing. To me, tennis outdoors is real tennis. Indoor tennis seems cramped.... and smelly.

RogiFan88
10-13-2006, 07:35 PM
so what about 2008 then? isn't Shanghai hosting the TMC from 2005-2007?

as for Spain, they have enough tournies; S America sounds OK to me and if in the S part of the continent, even better for outdoor tennis at the end of the year ;)