Nadal Has No Points To Defend After Madrid Until Marseille 07'? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal Has No Points To Defend After Madrid Until Marseille 07'?

Jaffas85
10-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Is it correct that after Madrid Nadal has no points to defend until the 2007 Marseille tournament because last year he sustained an injury in Madrid wich kept him out for several months?

How many points could Nadal potentially, and realistically, add to his total between now and the end of the Miami Masters tournament considering he has points he can accumulate from the Paris Masters, the Tennis Masters Cup, Sydney International, Australian Open as well as AMS Miami.

I don't think he'll be able to overtake Federer if he wins or does well in those tournaments but the gap between them might only be 1000 instead of 2500 points.

Thanks.

oz_boz
10-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Nadal has no points to defend after Madrid, that's right, but the gap can theoretically close very quickly particularly after AO. Nadal can catch up 2000 points there if he wins and Fed goes out R1. Not that that's gonna happen.

Loremaster
10-12-2006, 10:35 AM
especially TMS Paris, TMC and AO will give him huge point boast but only, if he raise his level, playing like now he will to get much points

Fed-Express
10-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Well, if he is able to win it all:
Paris - 500 pts.
Basel - 175 pts.
TMC - 750 pts.
Sydney - 175 pts.
AO - 1000 pts.
--------------------
in total: 2600 pts.

realistically (but that is really subjective):
Paris SF - 225
Basel F - 120
TMC - W - 750
Sydney W - 175
AO F - 700
----------------
1970 pts.

Before people attack me, of course he can also win the AO but I think it is unlikely, that he wins both TMC and AO. He has a decent shot on winning one of them though, since they are played on Rebound Ace.
I think it is a fair assessment to say, that he might gain between 1500 and 2000 pts. during the next months. However, he has to defend Madrid first.

And it should be mentioned, that Roger has no points to defend from now to the TMC, so he could potentially gain:

Madrid - 500 pts.
Basel - 175 pts.
Paris - 500 pts.
TMC - 350 pts. (F last year)
----------------
1425 pts.

Let him gain 1000 pts and he is over 8000 pts., of course he has Doha with 250 and AO with 1000 to defend. But even if Rafa gains 2000 pts. until after AO and Federer loses in the final he would be ahead 1000 - 1500 pts, it could be even more if Rafa performs in Madrid like he performed in Stockholm.
But who knows, it is all hypothetical.
Let's hope they both do great and play some fantastic matches with the better player winning!

RonE
10-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Yes it is true Nadal has no points to defend but also Roger has no points to defend in his next three tourneys assuming he plays them all: Madrid, Basel, Paris. Plus he can gain an extra 250 points if he wins TMC undefeated. So it depends on how they both do but Roger can theoretically neutralize Nadal's charge by doing well in the upcoming indoor season.

Loremaster
10-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Nadal has no points to defend after Madrid, that's right, but the gap can theoretically close very quickly particularly after AO. Nadal can catch up 2000 points there if he wins and Fed goes out R1. Not that that's gonna happen.

Yeah but even when Nadal wins and Fed lose to him in the final of AO, Nadal will gain 1000 pts and Fed will lose some points, so Nadal winning AO gives him 1000+ points,

MariaV
10-12-2006, 10:59 AM
Isn't it just a bit early to talk about AO already? ;)

Adler
10-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Isn't it just a bit early to talk about AO already? ;)
That's because people just love indoor season
Nadal has nothing to lose, but Roger also missed the end of last year. However, the gap between those two will become smaller, no doubt

FSRteam
10-12-2006, 12:26 PM
That's because people just love indoor season
Nadal has nothing to lose, but Roger also missed the end of last year. However, the gap between those two will become smaller, no doubt

With the tennis rafa is playing right now... dream on!!! :devil:

FSRteam
10-12-2006, 12:28 PM
With the tennis rafa is playing right now... dream on!!! :devil:

Oh my god, I sounds like a real fedtard now!!! :eek:

Sunset of Age
10-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Oh my god, I sounds like a real fedtard now!!! :eek:

Nope... it's called being rational. Rafa's been off, lately, and he'll surely has to raise his game level if he wants to reach any final at all. Sad but true.

Jaffas85
10-12-2006, 01:02 PM
So if someone wins the TMC without losing any matches they earn 750 points yet if a player wins after having been beaten in a round robin match they only get 650 points?

Should the finalist get to the final unbeaten and then lose do they get 500 points regardless of their tournament performance?

Rogiman
10-12-2006, 01:15 PM
So if someone wins the TMC without losing any matches they earn 750 points yet if a player wins after having been beaten in a round robin match they only get 650 points?

Should the finalist get to the final unbeaten and then lose do they get 500 points regardless of their tournament performance?

Yes, every RR victory=100 points (and 120K$), a SF win=200 points (and 350K$) and winning the final=250 points (and 720K$).
Also, every player is rewarded 90K$ for qualification.

Theoretically, in one of the RR groups one player could win all of his 3 matches while the others win 1 each and lose the other 2, enabling one of them to make it to the SF.

If the mentioned 'Lucky Loser' then proceeds to win the tournament he will only get 550 points (and 1.28M$) for his victory :)

Hewitt (2001) and Federer (2004-5) won all 5 matches, resulting in 750 points + 1.52M$ in their bank account :)

Jaffas85
10-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Considering Federer is playing Madrid, Basil, Paris and the TMC and as the World #1 stands to either win a couple of these tournaments or at least do quite well in them his ranking points should at least be 8000 after the TMC; prolly a little bit more.

BTW, Is it confirmed that the TMC is being played on Rebound Ace, ala the Australian Open, this year? If thats the case Nadal could have a real shot.