Will Nadal win any more titles this year? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Nadal win any more titles this year?

Solid_Snake
10-12-2006, 04:21 AM
He hasn't won one since the French Open.

I think it's highly unlikely that he'll win one more before the end of the year.

What do you think?

Just Cause
10-12-2006, 04:28 AM
Yes, he will defend Madrid if Roger pulls out.

GlennMirnyi
10-12-2006, 04:47 AM
Tell me something: is there any more tournaments on clay? If there are not, except from Madrid's blue clay variant, Nadal has no chance.

rmb6687
10-12-2006, 05:32 AM
Tell me something: is there any more tournaments on clay? If there are not, except from Madrid's blue clay variant, Nadal has no chance.

blue clay? :confused: can someone tell me about it? What other types of clay are there. because I've heard of green clay, but haven't they stopped using that?

JW10S
10-12-2006, 05:33 AM
yes

Xristos
10-12-2006, 05:39 AM
No, not until Monte Carlo 07.

sanpo
10-12-2006, 06:13 AM
Not till the end of January, first tournament on clay of the calendar.

Adler
10-12-2006, 06:19 AM
blue clay? :confused:
It was ironic I think :)
The thing is he may win every tournament. Each time he lost in the last half of the year it was after a good fight, and his opponent has to be really determined and accurate to defeat him. But it would be more difficult for Rafa as the players will be encouraged by Nadal's last losses

t0x
10-12-2006, 07:22 AM
Last year Nadal really had a claim to being number 2 on a hardcourt (2 TMS, although Fed was absent in both...), what the hell has happened this year?

Either way, I can't see him winning anything now - maybe Madrid but he's gunna have to hope to avoid big hitters because he looks so short on confidence against them.

oz_boz
10-12-2006, 07:24 AM
He might win Madrid, he won't have any problem with a hostile crowd there.

Jaffas85
10-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Nadal has nothing to defend after Madrid until Marseille right?

Because last year he sustained his foot injury while playing in Madrid and wasn't able to play again till Marseille?

Thanks.

CmonAussie
10-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Not till the end of January, first tournament on clay of the calendar.
:wavey:
Nadal will be playing the AO from mid-January until the end of January;) ~~so that leaves no room for any clay tournaments:p

Nadal may opt to play Brazil & Acapulco again [he skipped this year to try & improve on hardcourt~ winning Dubai]:cool:

Honestly I think Nadal dropped too many clay events this year:sad: .Last year Nadal played 9-clay court events & won 8 of them [only lost to Andreev at Valencia]........This year Rafa played only 4-clay events & of course he won all of them:worship: ......~~But it means he dropped his clay court calendar from 9-to->4:eek: ~~doesn`t this surprise anyone:confused: ......I mean why cut back on your strong suit:rolleyes:

Nadal`s confidence has taken a sever schlacking since losing early at Toronto & Cincinatti~> that spilled over to the USO Open & his loss in the QF...It seems things have gone from bad to worse:sad:

It this form slump continues then Rafa may no longer be the 2nd favorite by the time the AO rolls on in Jan 2007:eek: ~~ instead a Safin, Blake, Gasquet, Roddick..etc. may take the role of 2nd fovorite:( ~~ even though Nadal will still clearly be ranked #2;)

megadeth
10-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Nadal will be playing the AO from mid-January until the end of January;) ~~so that leaves no room for any clay tournaments:p

Nadal may opt to play Brazil & Acapulco again [he skipped this year to try & improve on hardcourt~ winning Dubai]:cool:

Honestly I think Nadal dropped too many clay events this year:sad: .Last year Nadal played 9-clay court events & won 8 of them [only lost to Andreev at Valencia]........This year Rafa played only 4-clay events & of course he won all of them:worship: ......~~But it means he dropped his clay court calendar from 9-to->4:eek: ~~doesn`t this surprise anyone:confused: ......I mean why cut back on your strong suit:rolleyes:

Nadal`s confidence has taken a sever schlacking since losing early at Toronto & Cincinatti~> that spilled over to the USO Open & his loss in the QF...It seems things have gone from bad to worse:sad:

It this form slump continues then Rafa may no longer be the 2nd favorite by the time the AO rolls on in Jan 2007:eek: ~~ instead a Safin, Blake, Gasquet, Roddick..etc. may take the role of 2nd fovorite:( ~~ even though Nadal will still clearly be ranked #2;)

because playing those small clay court tourneys even after wimbledon will just hurt him further in the long run...:rolleyes:

Bilbo
10-12-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't see him winning anymore titles this year. He's not playing so good right now.

adee-gee
10-12-2006, 03:56 PM
I think the real question is will he win any more matches this year?

He's finished.

BORO77
10-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Maybe he didnt want to stay any longer in sweden??
He could win Madrid? Or even more probable Shanghai?

buzz
I read TMC will be played on rebound ace. So I think that will be his biggest chance. Will depend on the group phase

MarieS

He's finished.

I think he should retire already and put us and himself out of misery :shrug:

Just Cause
10-12-2006, 04:06 PM
I read TMC will be played on rebound ace. So I think that will be his biggest chance. Will depend on the group phase

Actually that's worse, there are a lot more people that can beat him on rebound ace than on carpet. It is the best surface for shotmakers and there are a few far better shotmakers on rebound ace. But yes, a lot of those big servers will be less of a problem but Federer will then become the biggest threat, bigger than on carpet.

GlennMirnyi
10-12-2006, 04:11 PM
blue clay? :confused: can someone tell me about it? What other types of clay are there. because I've heard of green clay, but haven't they stopped using that?

That was a joke. That's called hyperbole.

buzz
10-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Actually that's worse, there are a lot more people that can beat him on rebound ace than on carpet. It is the best surface for shotmakers and there are a few far better shotmakers on rebound ace. But yes, a lot of those big servers will be less of a problem but Federer will then become the biggest threat, bigger than on carpet.

Oh ok, I always thought rebound ace would be good for runners/workers, because of agassi kafelnikov and hewitt playing quite good there. But shotmakers makes sense because otherwise we would have seen more claycourters going far in Melbourne. And I think Safin is one of the best shotmakers there is!!

Still not completly sure, Federer performs better on american hardcourts then rebound ace.

Does anyone no a technical reason why rebound ace suits shotmakers very well?

GlennMirnyi
10-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Oh ok, I always thought rebound ace would be good for runners/workers, because of agassi kafelnikov and hewitt playing quite good there. But shotmakers makes sense because otherwise we would have seen more claycourters going far in Melbourne. And I think Safin is one of the best shotmakers there is!!

Still not completly sure, Federer performs better on american hardcourts then rebound ace.

Hey big boy, Hewitt has always complained about Rebound Ace.

Jadranka
10-12-2006, 05:15 PM

He's finished.

right ;)

Cervantes
10-12-2006, 06:15 PM

High bounce combined with enough time to make the shots. And because it's not too slow you can still hit winners.

Why is Rafa better on grass than on hardcourts? Cause the low bounce doesn't allow shotmakers to take the ball at shoulderhight.

edit: concerning Hewitt, he doesn't have the technical ability to hit winners of high bouncing balls, which is why he never performed well on rebound ace.

kronus12
10-12-2006, 08:51 PM
im hopping nadal wins madrid and he meets fed in the final of TMS the way he performs on the rebound ace in shanghai will determine how he will go in australia next year. If he suxs at TMS then he's not going to do well at the AO.

stebs
10-12-2006, 09:42 PM
edit: concerning Hewitt, he doesn't have the technical ability to hit winners of high bouncing balls, which is why he never performed well on rebound ace.

I agree with this only to a certain extent. It's never his style to come out and hit winner after winner anyway and although he likes to feed off the pace of fast courts the rebound ace isn't awful for him. Also, I wouldn't say he never performed well on rebound ace. He was in the final just two years ago.

Peoples
10-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Why is Rafa better on grass than on hardcourts? Cause the low bounce doesn't allow shotmakers to take the ball at shoulderhight.

:wazzup:

stebs
10-12-2006, 10:01 PM

Maybe that is your reaction and I agree that we cannot say that yet but I do actually think that in the long run Rafa may prove to be suited to grass more than to a fast hardcourt. Contrary to the generalisation he is given due to being primarily a clay player his volleys are actually extremely good. He is very fast and has great passing shots. He is also a natural learner and fantastic with reactions. All of these things are good for him on grass. Just to add to that, his worst nightmare, a big hitter, tends to use big swings. These are not as effective on grass when the ball can skid through, the main problem is the struggle he faces against big servers.

sawan66278
10-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Again, like I've mentioned in previous post, his game (not style-wise, but weakness wise) is similar to Mat's Wilander's...both had trouble from time to time with big hitters and shot makers...did it lead to to Mats' doom as a player? No...he went on to win three of the four majors in one year and seven overall (on three surfaces no less)...

I think Rafa will win between five and seven majors for his career, be #1 (maybe for a year)...and that will be his legacy (if other factors as health, etc.) continue...Not a bad career...but remember, Rafa's and Mats' games will always be match-up problems for them against big hitters...like Hingis against the Williams sisters, etc....

By the way, good points from Cervantes and Stebs about Rafa's grass potential...

Roger The Great
10-13-2006, 02:50 PM
I think it's really hard to say. Nadal seems to be very much at the mercy of the draws these days. More so than last year I feel that there are a lot of bad match-ups out there for Rafa. It seems to be the in thing to mock those who say anything bad about a player's draw, but in many cases it's simply the reality. I'm really not sure where Rafa's game is headed the next 12 to 18 months. I do think that barring injury, his clay results will keep him at #2 no matter what else happens.

Just Cause
10-13-2006, 03:09 PM
I think it's really hard to say. Nadal seems to be very much at the mercy of the draws these days. More so than last year I feel that there are a lot of bad match-ups out there for Rafa. It seems to be the in thing to mock those who say anything bad about a player's draw, but in many cases it's simply the reality. I'm really not sure where Rafa's game is headed the next 12 to 18 months. I do think that barring injury, his clay results will keep him at #2 no matter what else happens.
Yes, I must say that Federer is the greatest player ever. (grass or otherwise) :worship:.
However, Nadal is the greatest clay courter EVER..:worship:. But you know and I know that large chunck of his points came out of Wimbledon final, and even though he would still be #2 without Wimbledon final (still more than 1000 from #3), but Wimbledon performance has shown that his ranking is not just supported by his clay result.

Roger The Great
10-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Yes, I must say that Federer is the greatest player ever. (grass or otherwise) :worship:.
However, Nadal is the greatest clay courter EVER..:worship:. But you know and I know that large chunck of his points came out of Wimbledon final, and even though he would still be #2 without Wimbledon final (still more than 1000 from #3), but Wimbledon performance has shown that his ranking is not just supported by his clay result.

Yes, there's no disputing the fact that his #2 ranking is supported by tournaments on many surfaces. He has had some great fast court results this year. Rafa is not the fast court clown that many here make him out to be. That being said, I'm not sure his fast court results are as repeatable from year to year as his clay results. I'm sure he'll have fast court success from time to time but there are many more obstacles in his path on these surfaces. Only time will tell.

Just Cause
10-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Yes, there's no disputing the fact that his #2 ranking is supported by tournaments on many surfaces. He has had some great fast court results this year. Rafa is not the fast court clown that many here make him out to be. That being said, I'm not sure his fast court results are as repeatable from year to year as his clay results. I'm sure he'll have fast court success from time to time but there are many more obstacles in his path on these surfaces. Only time will tell.

That is quite true. But he keeps improving. Granted that he was tired at the end of the year once US Open comes around, (probably due to fatigue of staying #2 for too long:)), but I think he can end the year with more wins on hardcourt than last year since he will be playing TMC this year.

Hard Win-Loss 28-6 20-6
Clay Win-Loss 50-2 26-0
Grass Win-Loss 1-2 8-2
Carpet Win-Loss 0-0 0-0
Overall Win-Loss 79-10 54-8

Cervantes
10-13-2006, 04:14 PM

After Wimbledon everybody thought Rafa was gonna dominate the hardcourt season with Federer. I wasn't so sure about that and that turned out to be correct and here's why:

1) Nadal's serve is much more effective on grass than on hard. Nadal was nearly unbreakable at Wimbledon thanks to his slice service, a serve which is a lot less effective on hardcourts.

2) Grass courts bounce lower than hardcourts. This I already explained in my previous post. On the grass players like Blake and Berdych can't keep hitting winners cause they have to take the ball at lower, which means they can't hit the ball downwards. This is really the crucial point in my analysis of Nadal's game.

3) As someone already pointed out, on grass the ball skids from time to time. This means a shotmaker will have to adjust his swing, making it harder to hit winners.

Of course Nadal still has problems with big servers (serve and volley preferably) on grass, cause the serve is harder to return on grass because the bounce is unpredictable. And if the hardcourts get slow enough (Miami, Montreal, Australian Open) he can run down too much for his opponents to keep hitting winners. That's why Nadal has a number of hardcourt titles, all on slower surfaces.

And finally back on topic, will Nadal win any more titles this year? Maybe.

A slow indoor tournament with not too high a bounce. Maybe Paris, after Fed decides not to play.

supersexynadal
10-13-2006, 09:01 PM
yes he will...If my nadal hater american agassi onsessed english teacher says so then i can assure u its true!!

supersexynadal
10-13-2006, 09:03 PM
cervantes:worship: :worship:

Just Cause
10-13-2006, 11:03 PM
After Wimbledon everybody thought Rafa was gonna dominate the hardcourt season with Federer. I wasn't so sure about that and that turned out to be correct and here's why:

1) Nadal's serve is much more effective on grass than on hard. Nadal was nearly unbreakable at Wimbledon thanks to his slice service, a serve which is a lot less effective on hardcourts.

2) Grass courts bounce lower than hardcourts. This I already explained in my previous post. On the grass players like Blake and Berdych can't keep hitting winners cause they have to take the ball at lower, which means they can't hit the ball downwards. This is really the crucial point in my analysis of Nadal's game.

3) As someone already pointed out, on grass the ball skids from time to time. This means a shotmaker will have to adjust his swing, making it harder to hit winners.

Of course Nadal still has problems with big servers (serve and volley preferably) on grass, cause the serve is harder to return on grass because the bounce is unpredictable. And if the hardcourts get slow enough (Miami, Montreal, Australian Open) he can run down too much for his opponents to keep hitting winners. That's why Nadal has a number of hardcourt titles, all on slower surfaces.

And finally back on topic, will Nadal win any more titles this year? Maybe.

A slow indoor tournament with not too high a bounce. Maybe Paris, after Fed decides not to play.

If everything about Nadal is running around moonballs, he wouldnt win HI titles. Explain why Nadal won Madrid last year.

You cannot just try to rationalize his Wimbledon win by saying that he is only good at hitting low bounce balls, you know that he is an excellent shotmaker and that is why he can make all kinds of shots on ALL SURFACES, and producing an result that has separated him from the rest of the pack.

Jimnik
10-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Nadal's Wimbledon run was a freak result. I'll be surprised if he ever repeats it.

Unless we get half as many injuries as there were at the end of last year, I don't see him winning any more titles. There are at least a dozen players who would beat him indoors.

As for the AO, I think he's the favourite. I really don't think any player, including Federer, is favoured over him on a slow court. Especially if the courts are as slow as they were this year.

CmonAussie
10-14-2006, 12:11 AM
Nadal's Wimbledon run was a freak result. I'll be surprised if he ever repeats it.

Unless we get half as many injuries as there were at the end of last year, I don't see him winning any more titles. There are at least a dozen players who would beat him indoors.

As for the AO, I think he's the favourite. I really don't think any player, including Federer, is favoured over him on a slow court. Especially if the courts are as slow as they were this year.
You obviously haven`t been reading the news about AO recently;) ...........From next year the courts are going to be faster:cool: :cool: ...........>>>>>>>>>> Which will increase the likelyhood of Federer winning again & give Rocky Llegs an outside chance:D

Horatio Caine
10-14-2006, 12:14 AM
He'll be a force to be reckoned with in Shanghai I think...otherwise, none before then.

CmonAussie
10-14-2006, 12:17 AM
High bounce combined with enough time to make the shots. And because it's not too slow you can still hit winners.

Hewitt`s not as bad on rebound ace as you suggest;)
1. 4-time Sydney champion [on rebound ace]
2. 2-time Adelaide champion [on rebound ace]
3. AO finalist [on rebound ace]~~ beat Blake, Nadal, Nalbandian, Roddick
4. Davis Cup 2003~~ beat Federer [on rebound ace]
:p :devil: :angel: :worship:

CmonAussie
10-14-2006, 12:20 AM
Again, like I've mentioned in previous post, his game (not style-wise, but weakness wise) is similar to Mat's Wilander's...both had trouble from time to time with big hitters and shot makers...did it lead to to Mats' doom as a player? No...he went on to win three of the four majors in one year and seven overall (on three surfaces no less)...

I think Rafa will win between five and seven majors for his career, be #1 (maybe for a year)...and that will be his legacy (if other factors as health, etc.) continue...Not a bad career...but remember, Rafa's and Mats' games will always be match-up problems for them against big hitters...like Hingis against the Williams sisters, etc....

By the way, good points from Cervantes and Stebs about Rafa's grass potential...
That`s a good reference point~~ yeah i wouldn`t be surprised if Nadal`s career unds up like Wilander`s:worship: ~~ 7-Slams ain`t bad:angel:

KaxMisha
10-14-2006, 12:20 AM
Hewitt`s not as bad on rebound ace as you suggest;)
1. 4-time Sydney champion [on rebound ace]
2. 2-time Adelaide champion [on rebound ace]
3. AO finalist [on rebound ace]~~ beat Blake, Nadal, Nalbandian, Roddick
4. Davis Cup 2003~~ beat Federer [on rebound ace]
:p :devil: :angel: :worship:

Very true, but considering Hewitt was the world number one for quite some time and taking his other results into account, he still looks relatively weak on rebound ace - relatively being a key word, obviously.

NYCtennisfan
10-14-2006, 02:07 AM

Is there any way that anyone can be the favorite at the AO other than Federer? Federer has won 8 of the last 9 non-clay slams and was probably a point away against Safin from making that 9 of 9. Everyone thinks Nadal will do well with the prevailing conditions, but he has never won there so we don't know for sure how much of a favorite he is. Becker in '85 and '87 was defeated in the first round and rd. of 16 at the Australian Open when it was played on grass and he was one of the best players already on grass and by '87 THE best player on grass.

PamV
10-14-2006, 02:18 AM
If everything about Nadal is running around moonballs, he wouldnt win HI titles. Explain why Nadal won Madrid last year.

You cannot just try to rationalize his Wimbledon win by saying that he is only good at hitting low bounce balls, you know that he is an excellent shotmaker and that is why he can make all kinds of shots on ALL SURFACES, and producing an result that has separated him from the rest of the pack.

Nadal won Madrid because most of the field didn't show up to play there in 2005. Hewitt, Safin, and Roddick were totally off their games back then. In Madrid 2005 Nadal faced: Bye, Hanescu, Robredo, Stepanek, Ginepri, Ljubicic. Not such a tough draw really.....a lot of chokers.

Also his Wimbledon 2006 run was a result of an extremely easy draw: Bogdonovik, Kendrick, Agassi, Labadze, Niemenen, Baghdatis, Federer. He didn't face one top 10 player until the final where Federer beat him easily.

PamV
10-14-2006, 02:21 AM

Yes, but it's a result of a freakishly easy draw at Wimbledon where all the higher ranked big servers were in Roger's quarter.

MisterQ
10-14-2006, 02:32 AM
Also his Wimbledon 2006 run was a result of an extremely easy draw: Bogdonovik, Kendrick, Agassi, Labadze, Niemenen, Baghdatis, Federer. He didn't face one top 10 player until the final where Federer beat him easily.

You make that sound unusual. Federer only faced one top-ten player himself prior to the final: Ancic, ranked 10.

Nadal had to face more top-20 players than Federer faced on the way to the final. There are many ways to twist the numbers. ;)

In my opinion, the Wimbledon 2006 run was simply the result of Nadal's remarkable learning curve on grass this year.